Anyone ever miss the ship?

Da-Painter

I hear about folks not getting back to the ship in time, and it takes off without them. Now I know if you book a ships shore excursion, and get back late they will wait for you, this happened on our last cruise.

But has anyone missed the ship, and what transpired?:eek:

I really want to hear the answers to this. We almost missed a ship in Malta and I have no idea what we would have done or who we would have talked to about getting to the next country.

Does anyone know this answer...? I do hear that Malta is a nice place to retire, so maybe it would have been ok to miss the ship there.:cool::cool::cool::o

On our last cruise from Cape Town to Singapore on the Tahitian Princess, twice passengers were chasing the ship and catching it in another port.

The first took a safari in Durban, South Africa. They planned to rejoin the ship four days later in Port Victoria, Seychelles Islands. Unfortunately for them, pirate attacks in the Seychelles caused the captain to skip Port Victoria. They met us five days later in Muscat, Oman.

The second took a 4 night private our in India, intending to rejoin the ship it Chennai. Her flight was late and she missed the ship. She rejoined us a few days later in Yangon, Myanmar.

So, do you have any idea where people go after they miss a ship? I don't normally take my passport with me when I wander around a port.

What happens when you try to fly to the next port without a passport? I wouldn't even know where to go or what to do or who to call.

You carry your passport. That's what it's for. Not a copy. Your daily news sheet will have the name and address of the port agent and how to get in touch with them. they are the ones to help connect with the cruiseline and help you to get to the next port. Did you try a search? there have been lots of threads about this. EM

I did a search, and advanced search, and couldnt find this topic or question. Maybe my topic search wasnt specific enough.

I know when we would get off the ship on our last cruise, they told us to take our passport with us.

But also, I dont carry much cash, nor my VISA card, not a big shopper or spender, so wonder how folks manage to catch up with the ship.

On our last cruise, I asked one of the captains crew, they said they will go if someone is not on board, as it costs them money to sit there.

And a few times when it was time to depart from the ports, they kept paging for a few individuals, to contact the desk, wondering if there were folks that missed the ship and were looking for them.

Thanks for the answers.

I don't know about other lines, but on the port sheet that Princess gives us for every port, it lists the ships agent for that port. If Princess has your passport, they will give it to the agent to give the person sho missed the ship. The agent will help you arrange transportation to the next port (but no financial help).

On a recent cruise to New Zealand (OK English speaking and lots of stops in the same country) Two members of staff were very late. They arrived just as the gangplank!! was being removed,. They were seen by the Chief of their department who was asked by the captain and the pilot whether to let them on board or ferry them out later at their cost. The chief said NO let them join us at the next stop. At their own expense and etc. I never heard whether they kept their job or not after that but obviously they learnt a lesson

On a recent cruise to New Zealand (OK English speaking and lots of stops in the same country) Two members of staff were very late. They arrived just as the gangplank!! was being removed,. They were seen by the Chief of their department who was asked by the captain and the pilot whether to let them on board or ferry them out later at their cost. The chief said NO let them join us at the next stop. At their own expense and etc. I never heard whether they kept their job or not after that but obviously they learnt a lesson

What a costly lesson!!! It will teach us that we are only a fly in the ointment. That's why we are always back on time.

You carry your passport. That's what it's for. Not a copy. Your daily news sheet will have the name and address of the port agent and how to get in touch with them. they are the ones to help connect with the cruiseline and help you to get to the next port. Did you try a search? there have been lots of threads about this. EM

No, I've only been on this site for 2 days. (I actually signed up a few years ago but never came back until now.) Thank you for giving me the info about the port agent. I will have more fun wandering around strange cities now that I know this.

Essiesmom is correct. Princess issues a daily sheet with the required info - I'm not sure about other lines. We have witnessed two instances of passengers missing the boat. On one they mamaged to persuade a Princess tender to get them to their ship as it was leaving (possibly through the habourmaster, but the second couple had to fly Aruba to Bogota to Cartagena at their own expense (US$1200 was mentioned). They had missed a time zone change in the Caribbean and arrived back at the port an hour later than planned!

think this happens quite often in Cozumel Mexico... cruisers get to partying at Carlos and Charlies and are late getting back to the ship... many,many times we have seen people running down the pier to board at the last moment and a couple of times the ship had already left the dock and the people either caught a water taxi or ended up catching up at the next port... you will hear them page for persons five or six times when it is time to leave and eventually they get left

I did a search, and advanced search, and couldnt find this topic or question. Maybe my topic search wasnt specific enough.

Here are just a few relevant threads on this board that turned up when I searched "missed the ship":

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=982935&highlight=miss+the+ship

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=530497&highlight=miss+the+ship

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=473994&highlight=miss+the+ship

Archived