Katakolon to Olympia transportation

museumlover

Greetings! I had read in a travel book that buses are available near the port to take people to the Olympia sight but after researching on this forum that info may be incorrect. If a person did not want to rent a car and did not want to take the cruise line excursion, what other options are available. How can a person find out the train schedule for late February 2010 for Katakolon to Olympia and back. Your help will be greatly appreciated. :):)

I think the train is a good option. See this thread (further down on this page :rolleyes:) for detailed information:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1042785

(Keep reading, in between all the discussion of car rentals, there are excellent directions for the train and my post #41 gives a link to find out the rail schedules.)

Greetings! I had read in a travel book that buses are available near the port to take people to the Olympia sight but after researching on this forum that info may be incorrect. If a person did not want to rent a car and did not want to take the cruise line excursion, what other options are available. How can a person find out the train schedule for late February 2010 for Katakolon to Olympia and back. Your help will be greatly appreciated. :):)

We did Katakolon to Olympia in 2008 and we found the BEST driver. I lined him up on line before we left. His name is George Letsios, and his web site is http://www.taxikatakolon.com. There were four of us and the price was very reasonable. He met us at the pier, took us to Olympia where we toured the sites, we then went into the town for a while, had a beverage, did some more sightseeing, went to lunch, etc., etc. It was the best day of our cruise. He is very nice, and professional. We are planning this year's med cruise and I emailed him to see if he did Athens, too. He emailed me right away and gave me a recommendation of a friend who has a similar business in Athens. He then emailed the friend who called me the same day!

You can't go wrong with George. Great guy!

George is terrific! We shared the day last summer with another couple so the price was very reasonable. He took us to Olympia first to beat the crowds--when we arrived we had the place almost to ourselves. By the time we left there were alot of tour busses and crowds. He suggested a brief stop at the Olympic museum-very nice- then he took us to an amphitheater with a lovely view- he even took us to his home to meet his wife and picked roses for the 2 ladies to take back to the ship. We also went to the Mercouri winery for a private tasting- then he drove his car along the beach to the "front door" of the ship to take us back-- we felt like royalty. No tour from the ship covered so much and the cost was so good.

We even got a Christmas greeting from him this past Christmas. I think he makes everyone feel special.

Suggestion-- book him early-- when we took the trip he told us that he had dozens of requests for our date, but he was loyal to us who booked him first. He is much in demand and I think you can see why. His car only holds 4 passengers along with the driver- so it is not like you can add to the group.

Us, too. It was so cool; we went to his house, met his wife - so sweet. We also went to the beach and the amphitheatre.

He told us the same thing about booking, so if you want George, call soon!

Is it possible to get the contact for his friend in Athens?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
We did Katakolon to Olympia in 2008 and we found the BEST driver. I lined him up on line before we left. His name is George Letsios, and his web site is www.taxikatakolon.com. There were four of us and the price was very reasonable. He met us at the pier, took us to Olympia where we toured the sites, we then went into the town for a while, had a beverage, did some more sightseeing, went to lunch, etc., etc. It was the best day of our cruise. He is very nice, and professional. We are planning this year's med cruise and I emailed him to see if he did Athens, too. He emailed me right away and gave me a recommendation of a friend who has a similar business in Athens. He then emailed the friend who called me the same day!

You can't go wrong with George. Great guy!

I second the recommendation for George. He provided service for us in Katakolon and I can't say enough good things about the day. We are going on another Med cruise and I asked him for a recommendation for Athens and he also provided a friend's name. We are booked with him and expect that we will have a good day as well.

Terri

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I toured Olympia with Andrew (Andreas) Stathopoulos too, and it was the best day I've had in Europe so far (I'm studying in Italy for the semester). I split the cab with three other people, and we just chose him at the port without making a prior reservation. It was 100 euro for the four of us (which seemed like the standard rate), and we ended up tipping him about 20 euro more.

While he drove us to Ancient Olympia, he told us about his town and his family in perfect English. He even told us about his homemade olive oil and wine projects and dropped by his house to give us huge bottles of the oil! After the ancient site, we visited a picturesque vineyard where we sampled wines for free and wandered around looking at their family of peacocks. I can't imagine what our day would've been without him! All of his information is at katakolontaxi.com

Archived