Prinsendam 2005 World Tour... it has begun

Grumpy1

Grumpy and Slinkie,

Sounds like you are two very lucky people to have your own private Aussie Gal tour guide.

I have a question about tipping. Do you tip on every leg of your journey or do you wait until you finish the cruise? I guess most of the crew is on the ship for the entire journey, but I am not sure about that either. I hope you haven't covered this topic already. I don't remember reading about it and I have read numerous posts. Please excuse me if you have.

Janice

I was on the maiden voyage (well, the U.S. maiden) of the Noordam III and we just completed her final 9-day voyage, Rome to Lisbon. I asked the crew and a few of the Officers what was to become of the artwork and most was being shipped back to Seattle and may end up on the next Noordam.

I was extremely interested in obtaining one of the paintings, but to no avail. Do you know if they will be displayed on the Noordam IV when she is completed? I simply love the Noordam III and will miss her tremendously.

I ekerr19,

I was also on board the NOORDAM on her maiden voyage, but just as a visitor!

During 1983 while I was Harbour Master in Bermuda I did the planning to bring the N ships to Bermuda. Unfortunately HAL dropped Bermuda at the end of that year when the VEENDAM & VOLEMDAN were sold and the N ships became only occasional callers.

In spring 1984 I had left the Port Authority and was waiting to take up an appointment as master with Jameel Monte Carlo (Jebsens). was on vacation and was making a few paintings...a kind of hobby back then. NOORDAM was due on her maiden voayge and I spoke to the port agent regarding an invitation to go aboard for the usual welcome cocktail party. The port agent jokingly told me that the passes were 'very difficult' to obtain. Anyhow, I agreed to make a painting of the old NOORDAM in exchnge for the invitation.

Anyhow, at the cocktail party the painting was presented Captain Uilderink and I was presented to Mr Nico Van Der Vorm, the Chairman of HAL! The CD, Brian Price had told him the whole story. Mr Van Der Vorm then commissioned me to make three more paintings for his office. I made them and then made the decision to try painting as a full time career. That was hopw it ll started.

Regarding the ship paintings dsplayed on NOORDAM, they are by Alaskan artist Alan Nakano. Beautiful work. I was told that they would be transferred to the new NOORDAM later this year.

Ruth and I were also on board NOORDAM last year just before the end. We joined her in Barcelona on 4th October. She had only three or four more cruises to make for HAL. We last saw her in Civitavecchia on 4th November. We were on PRINSENDAM and NOORDAM was berthed astern of us..

NOORDAM sailed a few hours before us. She was supposed to go out at about 6pm but there was a delay, something about late passengers. By the time she sailed it was dark. Very emotional to watch her go by.

Stephen

I ekerr19,

Ruth and I were also on board NOORDAM last year just before the end. We joined her in Barcelona on 4th October. She had only three or four more cruises to make for HAL. We last saw her in Civitavecchia on 4th November. We were on PRINSENDAM and NOORDAM was berthed astern of us..

NOORDAM sailed a few hours before us. She was supposed to go out at about 6pm but there was a delay, something about late passengers. By the time she sailed it was dark. Very emotional to watch her go by.

Stephen

Stephen - It truly is a small world! We were aboard on 11/4/04 - we boarded on 11/3/04 in Civitavecchia. We saw the Prinsendam at least once over of the course of the following days. Both my husband and I were truly impressed with what we were able to see. I am happy to hear the artwork from the Noordam III will be transferred to the Noordam IV - we were also hoping to book the maiden voyage for the new Noordam but at this point we've not yet decided.

I just wanted to thank you for providing us with all the beautiful paintings we've enjoyed over the years. I was told several years ago by one of the officers that you were an avid HAL cruiser, I always thought he was pulling my leg!

The final Noordam III voyage was very bittersweet - though the Captain, officers and crew made it very memorable for us. We had the pleasure of meeting some of the Thomson personnel and they assured us she would be well cared for. :)

During 1983 while I was Harbour Master in Bermuda I did the planning to bring the N ships to Bermuda. Unfortunately HAL dropped Bermuda at the end of that year when the VEENDAM & VOLEMDAN were sold and the N ships became only occasional callers.

Stephen

I'm so sorry to bring this up on Grumpy's thread, but Stephen I see you were in Bermuda for a time ... a place I have visited at least a dozen times and where I had the good fortune to meet and visit the studio of Birdsey, the artist. I have a few of his paintings and my family have many. When I visited his studio he painted something just for me which has sadly been lost. I wondered if by chance your paths ever crossed and if so is he still alive? My visit goes back many, many years as do my paintings.

Sorry, Grumpy!!!

I was told several years ago by one of the officers that you were an avid HAL cruiser, I always thought he was pulling my leg!

The final Noordam III voyage was very bittersweet - though the Captain, officers and crew made it very memorable for us. We had the pleasure of meeting some of the Thomson personnel and they assured us she would be well cared for. :)

Avid cruiser? :rolleyes: 52 HAL cruises so far... one more of at least 10 days and I'll have that bit of platinum. Then I can 'retire'!!!!!

We enjoyed sailing with Captain Peter Visser on the NOORDAM. A real gentleman. Did you meet the Thompson Chief Engineer? The German fellow who sat in the bar on most evenings.

Stephen

I'm so sorry to bring this up on Grumpy's thread, but Stephen I see you were in Bermuda for a time ... a place I have visited at least a dozen times and where I had the good fortune to meet and visit the studio of Birdsey, the artist. I have a few of his paintings and my family have many. When I visited his studio he painted something just for me which has sadly been lost. I wondered if by chance your paths ever crossed and if so is he still alive? My visit goes back many, many years as do my paintings.

Sorry, Grumpy!!!

I was born in Bermuda! I met Alfred Bridsey.... when I was a kid. Stopped by his studio one day and had a chat with the great man for a few minutes. I think he passed away in the 80's. Great paintings. He was one of Bermuda's great painters.

As for Prinsendam.... they must be steaming across the Great Australian Bight right now. I hope Slingky and Grumpy are having nice weather? Now that they have been on board for over a month, they should have good sea legs!

Stephen

My friend Liz,

On the World Cruise, is leaving the ship today and joining the

Shore excursion/tour on the Indian Pacific Rail.

She will rejoin Princendam at Perth , next Tuesday,

after enjoying one the best rail trips in the world.

400 miles of dead straight track.........

What a great break from the cruise.......

I have done this rail trip.......

and marvelled at the stop in the middle of the Nullabor Plains,

at a town called Cook.......

Population 2

You can walk a few metres away from the train,

and observe a 360 degree view of a flat horizon...............

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the HAL Board. I haven't done the Indian Pacific formerly known as the Trans Australian railway line, but my parents did it in the 50's from Melbourne to Perth via Adelaide and then sailed home on one of the interstate ships, probably the Manunda. They had to change trains at Kalgoolie due to the different rail gauges at the time. They loved the rail trip, it is the longest straightest stretch of rail in the world. I have always wanted to do it but so many other holidays came first. Perhaps when we are too old to travel far!

Jennie

Ziggy: I got a good laugh out of the Ebay Buttons for Grumpy's dinner jacket! They look like they could use a good polishing!! Thanks for sharing.

Suggestions for Hong Kong from an old China hand.

The bird market. It has moved so I don't have the current address.

After all that's been said on the news lately about the Bird Disease I'm not so sure it would be a good idea to visit a BIRD MARKET right now. 40 people have died from somekind of Bird Flu. Might want to skip that this time.

I was born in Bermuda! I met Alfred Bridsey.... when I was a kid. Stopped by his studio one day and had a chat with the great man for a few minutes. I think he passed away in the 80's. Great paintings. He was one of Bermuda's great painters.

Stephen

Thank you, Stephen. With the help of his first name (he only signs his paintings "Birdsey") I googled him and found he died in 1996. Wonderful artist; amazing studio. Lucky you ... born in Bermuda!:)

I can't believe Grumpy and Slinkie have been on the high seas for 40+ days already! I wonder if it's going as fast for them as for me! Is it, kids? I cannot begin to imagine how awesome it would be to be in your shoes and circumnavigate the globe. And to give all of us a diary of your progress is beyond generous.

Slinkie and Grumpy -- I have SO enjoyed your wonderful report. Because of my enthusiasm I reported on it to Margaret Binnendyk who is our fantastic head of the HAL Mariners. She will be joining your trip from Bali to Hong Kong and hopes to meet you at some point in time. I know you would find her delightful so keep on the lookout for her.

Best wishes and keep up the wonderful reports --"Cruising Illini" living in Sarasota.

Slinkie and Grumpy -- I have SO enjoyed your wonderful report. Because of my enthusiasm I reported on it to Margaret Binnendyk who is our fantastic head of the HAL Mariners. She will be joining your trip from Bali to Hong Kong and hopes to meet you at some point in time. I know you would find her delightful so keep on the lookout for her.

Best wishes and keep up the wonderful reports --"Cruising Illini" living in Sarasota.

Wohoooooooooooo maybe she will be presenting them with a free cruise for all the publicity they have give HAL :) Awww well dreams can come true :)

Avid cruiser? :rolleyes: 52 HAL cruises so far... one more of at least 10 days and I'll have that bit of platinum. Then I can 'retire'!!!!!

We enjoyed sailing with Captain Peter Visser on the NOORDAM. A real gentleman. Did you meet the Thompson Chief Engineer? The German fellow who sat in the bar on most evenings.

Stephen

Yes, we met him... we had a great time with everyone. We had a little ongoing joke about not telling the Thompson folks about the plumbing, or the A/C, or the electricity, or the ..... (you get the picture!) It was very amusing.

We are hoping to see the Chief Electrician on board the Volendam in a few weeks. I hope he is still there.

We are hoping to see the Chief Electrician on board the Volendam in a few weeks. I hope he is still there.

Willem Kappert by any chance? The great collector of HAL Delft plates?

Speaking of plates... I just returned from the ceramics workshop. Picked a piece that I had made earlier this week. It came out.... as I had hoped. Great colours etc etc. The design incorporated two flags, one US of A and a Dutch flag.

Ruth looks at it and says, "Are you sure you got the colours on the Dutch flag the right way round? ie Red, white, blue... red on top. I looked at the piece.... I've done it wrong!!!!!!!!!!!! Ah well, a real collector's piece!

Stephen

Speaking of plates... I just returned from the ceramics workshop. Picked a piece that I had made earlier this week. It came out.... as I had hoped. Great colours etc etc. The design incorporated two flags, one US of A and a Dutch flag.

Ruth looks at it and says, "Are you sure you got the colours on the Dutch flag the right way round? ie Red, white, blue... red on top. I looked at the piece.... I've done it wrong!!!!!!!!!!!! Ah well, a real collector's piece!

Just tell people it's a symbol of US-French amity!

:) -dave

You are now in the Australian Bight........

Trust it is not "biting"

I wish you both smooth seas...........

as you cruise under the stars of the

Southern Cross.....

Just a quick question....

Did many folk opt for the excursion

on the Indian Pacific rail option..

from Adelaide to Perth?

David.

The national flag of Yugoslavia has horizontal stripes of blue, white and red (top down).

AH! I knew someone had that, but I couldn't think of it. I was thinking Luxembourg but theirs is red, white, and blue - just that the proportions and shade of blue are different from the Dutch flag.

So Stephen's ceramic is a symbol of friendship between the US and Serbia and Montenegro (Yugoslavia technically no longer exists)!

I guess my Dutch friends will get used to the Yugoslav flag... eventually!

There are some differences between the Dutch and Yugoslav flags. In addition to the colours being the other way round, the blue on the Yugoslav flag is a dark blue and the blue on the ducth flag is a lighter blue 'Careuleum blauw'.

Back to the drawing board!

Stephen

Archived