Pearl Harbor

cruisingready

We have now decided to do limo island tour that includes a visit to Pearl harbour, I know that by doing this we will see less of the Island but as you say its a must do thing and as we are only in Oahu for 3 days its the only way we can fit it in without having to rush and get back in time for other things.

thanks for your input.

Do you have more information on this tour?

They have lockers at the USS Bowfin where you collect your USS Arizona tickets. You can store your handbag or backpack there. Or buy something from the gift shop you can take that bag with you.;)

We are staying @ the HHV & driving over to the memorial. Do I understand correctly that we have to go to the USS Bowfin to get the tickets for the Arizona tour? Obviously, I'm not familiar w/how they are set up logistically. Is the main parking lot @ the USS Bowfin? Thanks

We are looking to do this after we embark the POA, we are thinking if we can get on board by 12.30 ish have lunch and then head off to Pearl Harbour, has anyone done it this way round and would there be any problems time wise in getting back to the ship before it sails.

I know everyone says get there early but i wondered what its like in the afternoon.

Cheers

I know I am one of the few that does not recommend getting to Pearl Harbor early with all of the tours and everyone else worried about getting tickets. We have always arrived at Pearl Harbor after 1:00 and as late as 2:30 and never had a problem getting tickets. No long lines and a lot of the crowd is gone so you can really enjoy the facility. This is just my opinion and experience. Cherie

We are staying @ the HHV & driving over to the memorial. Do I understand correctly that we have to go to the USS Bowfin to get the tickets for the Arizona tour? Obviously, I'm not familiar w/how they are set up logistically. Is the main parking lot @ the USS Bowfin? Thanks

We did not drive there on our own, but from what we saw, there is a very large parking area right by the main entrance. And NO, you do not have to go to the Bowfin to get tickets for the Arizona Memorial. There should be signs as to where to start lining up, but unless you plan on being the first one there, there will probably be a line there already. It is right by the parking area. The Bowfin and the Missouri are sort of in another area. For the Missouri, you need to take a sort of shuttle. We did not go to the Bowfin, so I really do not know how you get to it.

I know I am one of the few that does not recommend getting to Pearl Harbor early with all of the tours and everyone else worried about getting tickets. We have always arrived at Pearl Harbor after 1:00 and as late as 2:30 and never had a problem getting tickets. No long lines and a lot of the crowd is gone so you can really enjoy the facility. This is just my opinion and experience. Cherie

I think it depends when you are there. We were in Honolulu the Saturday of Christmas week and were at Pearl Harbor before 8:30 and all the tickets for the day had been given out 25 minutes earlier. We were on the Golden Princess, and the POA was embarking and disembarking that day. Next year we are taking the Golden again and will be off the ship when the doors open at 7. I do not want to miss it again.

I think it depends when you are there. We were in Honolulu the Saturday of Christmas week and were at Pearl Harbor before 8:30 and all the tickets for the day had been given out 25 minutes earlier. We were on the Golden Princess, and the POA was embarking and disembarking that day. Next year we are taking the Golden again and will be off the ship when the doors open at 7. I do not want to miss it again.

I'm sorry you missed it. Pearl Harbor is a special place. We are usually there during school holidays. Last year I went 4-5 times during March and April and never had a problem, this included Easter and Spring breaks. I have not been there Christmas week so I cannot comment on that. Hope you make it next time. Cherie

We are looking at doing it with Jays Limos too. When will you be doing it? We will be there in April.

We are on the 6th March cruise and fly into Honolulu on wed 3rd March, so we have booked the island limo tour for the Friday 5th and doing Pearl Harbour on the thursday under our own steam, we have also booked Jay's limos to collect us from the airport to take us to our hotel and they are collecting us on Sat afternoon to take us to the docks to pick up the ship.

As its only just over 5 weeks away we are all now getting very excited and desperatly trying to loose weight LOL

We are on the 6th March cruise and fly into Honolulu on wed 3rd March, so we have booked the island limo tour for the Friday 5th and doing Pearl Harbour on the thursday under our own steam, we have also booked Jay's limos to collect us from the airport to take us to our hotel and they are collecting us on Sat afternoon to take us to the docks to pick up the ship.

As its only just over 5 weeks away we are all now getting very excited and desperatly trying to loose weight LOL

Please come back here and let me know how you liked Jay's limos.

We did not drive there on our own, but from what we saw, there is a very large parking area right by the main entrance. And NO, you do not have to go to the Bowfin to get tickets for the Arizona Memorial. There should be signs as to where to start lining up, but unless you plan on being the first one there, there will probably be a line there already. It is right by the parking area. The Bowfin and the Missouri are sort of in another area. For the Missouri, you need to take a sort of shuttle. We did not go to the Bowfin, so I really do not know how you get to it.

We were at Pearl Harbor a week and a half ago and you did have to get your tickets by the Bowfin but it is only a five min. (for my husband)/ 10min (for my father) walk from the Arizona. There are two aisles in which to get tickets. The Bowfin has a fee attached, the Arizona does not. Unlike previous posts each person did not have to be present to get a ticket. My mother said one please but then was asked, " How many in your party?" and was given 6 tickets. Large tour groups also seemed to be getting blocks of tickets. The Missouri was just moved out of dry dock and was not open to the public. It is suppose to reopen at the end of this month but I would check on that. Once you get into the movie, which is your start time, it takes approximately an hour and a quarter to watch the movie and to go over and back to the memorial. They have been having some problems with their boat shuttles and all tours after ours were delayed by half an hour. Enjoy, it is definitely worth the visit and we had no problem filling the our time with the exhibitions in the wait areas.

I assume you mean seeing the USS Arizona. Suggestion - do it on your own. Go early (0730), see the film, and be on the first shuttle out to the memorial before the crowds. Bring flowers and say hellow to my uncle who still serves abord the ship -F1c J. D. Hampton.

Zouave

Thanks so much for sharing that info! We will gladly pay our respects to your uncle next month!

We were at Pearl Harbor a week and a half ago and you did have to get your tickets by the Bowfin but it is only a five min. (for my husband)/ 10min (for my father) walk from the Arizona. There are two aisles in which to get tickets. The Bowfin has a fee attached, the Arizona does not. Unlike previous posts each person did not have to be present to get a ticket. My mother said one please but then was asked, " How many in your party?" and was given 6 tickets. Large tour groups also seemed to be getting blocks of tickets. The Missouri was just moved out of dry dock and was not open to the public. It is suppose to reopen at the end of this month but I would check on that. Once you get into the movie, which is your start time, it takes approximately an hour and a quarter to watch the movie and to go over and back to the memorial. They have been having some problems with their boat shuttles and all tours after ours were delayed by half an hour. Enjoy, it is definitely worth the visit and we had no problem filling the our time with the exhibitions in the wait areas.

I cannot argue with some one who has been there and told us what is happening, but from our experience and basically everyone elses, everyone had to wait on line to get a ticket. If things have changed, so much for the better.

I also read in our travel paper that the Missouri was now out of dry dock and once agian open to the public.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100117/FEATURES07/1170371/1032/Features07/Travel-news-Battleship-Missouri-Memorial-opens-again

Thank for the info.

Depending on how much time you have in Honolulu, I'd spend all day at Pearl Harbor. We took a tour called the "WWII Pearl Harbor Heroes Adventure", which was booked through www.hawaiidiscount.com. We got to tour the USS Missouri (battleship), the USS Bowfin (submarine), the Pacific Aviation Museum, and the Arizona Memorial. This was a FULL DAY and we enjoyed every minute of it.

Archived