Pearl Harbor

cruisingready

It is so easy and more cost effective to do on your own. Just plan to be off the ship first thing and catch a taxi to Pearl Harbor. We arrived at 7:30 a.m. and even though the line was already quite long we were able to obtain a 9:00 a.m. tour ticket, which left plenty of time in between to view the museum and grounds. We arrived well before the ship tours and they all had to wait in the same line and ended up with much later tour times.

Any suggestions on booking Pearl Harbor? Should we do it thru the ship or on our own?

I assume you mean seeing the USS Arizona. Suggestion - do it on your own. Go early (0730), see the film, and be on the first shuttle out to the memorial before the crowds. Bring flowers and say hellow to my uncle who still serves abord the ship -F1c J. D. Hampton.

Zouave

Ditto; do it on your own; there really isn't any reason to use the ship's excursion. When I did it, I had been on NCL's cruise through the islands and then I stayed in a hotel for an extra week.

I did a tour with Duck Tours. We didn't get there real early, but early enough that the tour out to the memorial was late morning.

http://treven.smugmug.com/Travel/Arizona-Memorial/Duck-TourArizona-Memorial-001/8372932_o8eYB-M.jpg

http://treven.smugmug.com/Travel/Arizona-Memorial/216984_SB9iS#88642243_Z8TZi-A-LB

http://treven.smugmug.com/Travel/Arizona-Memorial/Duck-TourArizona-Memorial-054/88642246_qxTrN-L.jpg

I too agree, do it on your own. We did it through the ship thinking it would be more time effective. It was not, we saw people from our ship that went through much faster than we did. This was an amazing thing to see. Keep in mind, when we did it you could not bring ANYTHING in with you. My pockets were very full. I even had to leave my eye glass case on the bus, no purses, backpacks, nothing. Just an FYI.

I too agree, do it on your own. We did it through the ship thinking it would be more time effective. It was not, we saw people from our ship that went through much faster than we did. This was an amazing thing to see. Keep in mind, when we did it you could not bring ANYTHING in with you. My pockets were very full. I even had to leave my eye glass case on the bus, no purses, backpacks, nothing. Just an FYI.

The most important part has been said last-They do not allow anything beyond what will fit in your pockets. Not much in the way of storage facilities, i.e. lockers if I remember correctly. Lucky for us, we had rented a car and put everything in the trunk (out of sight).

Other than that it is a very easy DIY. Do get there early.

Sorry confused here, can you have things in you pocket say like a camera?

Yes you can carry a camera in your pocket. Just not in a camera bag. No bags of any kind are allowed. My DH carried the camera in his pocket and all of our ID's and ship cards in his wallet. We left the backpack and my purse onboard and traveled light that morning knowing the restrictions. If you need to take a bag, there is a place where you can store them for a small fee.

How long of a ride is it from the cruise ships to it? Also how long of a ride is it from the airport to Pearl Harbor? How do they hand out tickets, like does everyone have to be there for there ticket or can I get a ticket for someone who is going to show up later? How long does it take to go through once you are through the line?

How long of a ride is it from the cruise ships to it? Also how long of a ride is it from the airport to Pearl Harbor? How do they hand out tickets, like does everyone have to be there for there ticket or can I get a ticket for someone who is going to show up later? How long does it take to go through once you are through the line?

Tracy

EVERYONE must be on line to secure a ticket. Even tour groups cannot get tickets for their people unless everyone is on line. They will not give two tickets to anyone.

You can get a ticket for a tour for a later time, and do something else and come back for your tour, but most prefer to get there early and try and get on the earliest tour possible.

I can't help you on distance and time. We took 'The Bus' from our hotel in Waikiki and it took about 40 minutes.

Do NOT miss Pearl Harbor. You will love it.

A few pix to let you see waht's there

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/Hawaii/Dsc00105.jpg

model of the Arizona under watrer, with the memorial on top

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/Hawaii/Dsc00075.jpg

Memorial wall inside the Arizona Memorial

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/Hawaii/Dsc00114.jpg

On the Missouri, looking at the big guns, with the Arizona Memorial in the background

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/Hawaii/Dsc00142.jpg

We are looking to do this after we embark the POA, we are thinking if we can get on board by 12.30 ish have lunch and then head off to Pearl Harbour, has anyone done it this way round and would there be any problems time wise in getting back to the ship before it sails.

I know everyone says get there early but i wondered what its like in the afternoon.

Cheers

We are looking to do this after we embark the POA, we are thinking if we can get on board by 12.30 ish have lunch and then head off to Pearl Harbour, has anyone done it this way round and would there be any problems time wise in getting back to the ship before it sails.

I know everyone says get there early but i wondered what its like in the afternoon.

Cheers

This is why I asked about time. Your son is not getting into the airport until 11:15 and he has to be on the ship at 4:30. I was just wondering if he had time to see Pear Harbor or anything at all to do with it.

Cheers

It is very hard to say. I would venture to guess that if you got there about 1:00, there might not even be nay tours left for that day. If you did secure a tour, it would be very unlikely that you will be able to just walk in and go on the tour. The movie is about 35 minutes, about a 10 minute boat ride to the Memorial and you stay there for 20 minutes, and the boat ride back. Then you still ahve to get back to the ship 2 hours before it embarks. It is taking a chance.

I wonder if you could call Pearl Harbor from the ship and see what the status of the tickets are for that day and time. If you could, it might help you on your plans.

It is very hard to say. I would venture to guess that if you got there about 1:00, there might not even be nay tours left for that day. If you did secure a tour, it would be very unlikely that you will be able to just walk in and go on the tour. The movie is about 35 minutes, about a 10 minute boat ride to the Memorial and you stay there for 20 minutes, and the boat ride back. Then you still ahve to get back to the ship 2 hours before it embarks. It is taking a chance.

I wonder if you could call Pearl Harbor from the ship and see what the status of the tickets are for that day and time. If you could, it might help you on your plans.

Thanks for that, Im one of those people who always like to make sure they get somewhere in plenty of time, once there then im fine but I would hate to have to rush and worry about getting back to the ship and possably miss what Pearl Harbour is all about.

Think Ill alter our plans to another time.

cheers

Thanks for the time info.

Another question

How does the ticket thing work? You get in line get a ticket and stay in line or can you go look around or watch the movie after you get the ticket but before you get one the boat?

Another question

How does the ticket thing work? You get in line get a ticket and stay in line or can you go look around or watch the movie after you get the ticket but before you get one the boat?

Once you got your ticket, you are free to do whatever you like as long as you get in line in front of the theater 5 minutes prior to the time printed on your ticket. Following the 23-minute film, you will exit the theater and get a boat ride to the memorial.

Options to spend time while waiting include a tour of the USS Arizona Memorial Museum (budget around 30 minutes) or a nice walk along the waterfront promenade.

Once you got your ticket, you are free to do whatever you like as long as you get in line in front of the theater 5 minutes prior to the time printed on your ticket. Following the 23-minute film, you will exit the theater and get a boat ride to the memorial.

Options to spend time while waiting include a tour of the USS Arizona Memorial Museum (budget around 30 minutes) or a nice walk along the waterfront promenade.

Thanks

Thanks for that, Im one of those people who always like to make sure they get somewhere in plenty of time, once there then im fine but I would hate to have to rush and worry about getting back to the ship and possably miss what Pearl Harbour is all about.

Think Ill alter our plans to another time.

cheers

That is exactly how we are. I would rather be 15 minutes early than late.

I don't want to get back up on my soap box, but try not to miss Pearl Harbor. It is something special. I know Hawaii is about beaches, and mountains and waterfalls and all that, but Hawaii is also about our history, and Pearl Harbor is just that. I know others couldn't care less if they miss it. If that's fine for them, OK, but it was my first place I had to see when we got to Hawaii. Sort of on my 'Bucket List', as they say, and I was thrilled just being there.

Again, have fun, but do try and get to Pearl Harbor. You will not be sorry.

That is exactly how we are. I would rather be 15 minutes early than late.

I don't want to get back up on my soap box, but try not to miss Pearl Harbor. It is something special. I know Hawaii is about beaches, and mountains and waterfalls and all that, but Hawaii is also about our history, and Pearl Harbor is just that. I know others couldn't care less if they miss it. If that's fine for them, OK, but it was my first place I had to see when we got to Hawaii. Sort of on my 'Bucket List', as they say, and I was thrilled just being there.

Again, have fun, but do try and get to Pearl Harbor. You will not be sorry.

We have now decided to do limo island tour that includes a visit to Pearl harbour, I know that by doing this we will see less of the Island but as you say its a must do thing and as we are only in Oahu for 3 days its the only way we can fit it in without having to rush and get back in time for other things.

thanks for your input.

Archived