Best way for 3 to cruise on Crown?

bluenoser2

Yikes! We've just found out that my recently widowed father would like to take us on a cruise - the European Explorer in June on the Crown. He wants us to book and look after the details - any ideas what the most cost effective way to book for the 3 of us would be - (my husband, father and myself) - either a minisuite where he would use the sofa bed, and we the queen, or 2 adjoining rooms, realizing he would get dinged with the solo person fare. I'd love to hear your thoughts, since we want to book this as soon as possible, knowing that many categories are already waitlisted for this cruise of a lifetime for us!

Thanks!

We have only did a third person once. Alaska, Island covered mini with 13 year old GD. She of course had the so called sofa bed we also got an egg crate. Would do it again in a second but only with a GD or GS and then would opted for the fold down bed either from wall or overhead.

I guess sofa beds by their nature are uncomfortable but this one was uncomfortable +.

If money were a concern, and it always is, and it were my money I would book dad a mini and across the hall you guys would go to an inside. Or maybe book two mini's and pay for the difference yourself.:eek:

I would, and I know people do, put three adults in a mini and I have see four in a mini. But never for us not enough room you will pay close to full price any way and only one bath room. Not for us.

Yikes! We've just found out that my recently widowed father would like to take us on a cruise - the European Explorer in June on the Crown. He wants us to book and look after the details - any ideas what the most cost effective way to book for the 3 of us would be - (my husband, father and myself) - either a minisuite where he would use the sofa bed, and we the queen, or 2 adjoining rooms, realizing he would get dinged with the solo person fare. I'd love to hear your thoughts, since we want to book this as soon as possible, knowing that many categories are already waitlisted for this cruise of a lifetime for us!

Thanks!

It will depend on how much privacy you and your husband/or your dad will want. We have traveled with our teenage son in a minisuite. It was fine. My other concern is the pullout couch in the minisuite for your dad...not sure how comfy it will be. I'd definitely ask for an egg crate mattress to put on his bed for added comfort. It would have to be set up each day. Can probably store the egg crate under the bed. Our son only weighed around 140lbs when we last cruised with him, a heavier person would probably be more uncomfortable on the pull out.

How about a balcony and an inside cabin across from each other? Your dad's single traveler fee would be a lot less in an inside cabin. Then whoever has the inside cabin can share the balcony.

How nice that your dad is taking you and your husband on vacation. Have a great time!

Nancy

As others have said, all depends on how much privacy you and your DH or your dad would like.

Not sure of your dad's age, but if he likes to maybe take a nap in the afternoon, the sofa bed would be folded up and all he would have is the couch to lay on for that. Plus, if you or DH come and go from the mini suite, you may disturb him.

Since there is no curtain to section off the sleeping area in a mini suite on this class of ship, if it were me, I would go for two different staterooms, that way each of you will have your own space.

Maybe two balcony cabins and have the room steward open the connecting balcony door so you have access to each other that way? Or, if more money can be spent, two seperate mini suites.

Good Luck, aren't dad's wonderful though? That was so nice of him to offer this.

Thank you for your help - I hadn't even thought of the inside across from a balcony - that could work better - I'll have to check with Dad to see how he feels about the no window situation! When I go on princess website I'm not sure how to book 2 rooms at a time - or do I need to do 2 separate bookings?

An inside cabin across from a balcony one is a great solution--we did this when travelling with my mother-in-law a few years ago. (Also got a second inside cabin for DD and a friend.) It's less expensive to book the inside cabin as a "single," but if you're feeling really generous you can take the inside cabin and give your father-in-law the balcony when you board...

Princess or a TA should be able to locate cabins nearby (if not immediately across from each other) and can link the reservations when you book them together... so you'll all be assigned the same dining.

Thanks!

:confused::confused: I agree...a mini for 3 adults is way too tight..and sleeping on the pullout sofa is almost impossible..esp for an adult..

if Dad is paying...give him the mini and you 2 take an inside across the hall(or book it with Dad in the mini..as the single supplement is less...you can always switch keys etc once you board)...if Dad has no money limit..maybe a mini for you 2 ...and for him a window,,or balcony..tho then you face the higher single supplement

good luck..and thank Dad for me!!

My ex and I took a short cruise with a friend. We had three in an inside cabin with a fold-down upper berth. It is tight quarters, but manageable as long as everyone takes turns with the bathroom, especially as you plan to get ready for formal nights.

Another option is a VS. I'm not sure about that difference in cost between paying double for a single with a second room or having a suite. The VS would give you plenty of room for 3 adults and allow a little more privacy.

Also I don't know anything about them, but someone mentioned before a family suite.

The family suites are actually outragious in price. The first four passengers pay the regular full suite rate, and they only discount (slightly) others over the 4 in the suite. Although it does receive the suite perks, the actual family suites are nothing more than a mini suite with an inside stateroom connected with a larger common living room. I have visited one, and they are not really that great at all as there is no wet bar, no jacuzzi tub, none of the extras that usually come with a full suite. And with them located at the very front of the ship, the balcony is almost non-useable when not docked. as it gets the full wind when out at sea.

We did a caribe deck balcony (the larger balcony that is half covered and half open air) with an inside across the hall for our daughter and grandchildren. This gave the five of us two bathrooms and we could all fit comfortably on the balcony. If you don't feel you need a balcony (which we don't tend to reserve if we are doing a port intensive itinerary) an ocean view with an inside would also work. Regardless of how you actually plan to sleep at night if you put the single person in the inside that will probably be the cheapest.

Well, thank you all for your suggestions and advice! We booked last night, and since Dad was feeling generous, we managed to find adjacent Caribe balcony rooms (705/707), so it's done - but wow, that single supplement really bites! Hubby booked it all online late at night because he could only find 2 balcony rooms he liked - is there any reason we should transfer our booking over to our TA that we used and liked last time? This booking stuff always stresses me out - so in a week or so I'll be back all excited about going - first though, I'll need some time to digest the fact that we're actually going! (This is a cruise I thought would take us another few years to save up for!).

...- is there any reason we should transfer our booking over to our TA that we used and liked last time? ...
Only if the TA can get you a better price or OBC than Princess is giving you. You have until final payment date to decide to switch, and up til then you can call Princess and fiddle with your booking as much as you like.

Well, thank you all for your suggestions and advice! We booked last night, and since Dad was feeling generous, we managed to find adjacent Caribe balcony rooms (705/707), so it's done - but wow, that single supplement really bites! Hubby booked it all online late at night because he could only find 2 balcony rooms he liked - is there any reason we should transfer our booking over to our TA that we used and liked last time? This booking stuff always stresses me out - so in a week or so I'll be back all excited about going - first though, I'll need some time to digest the fact that we're actually going! (This is a cruise I thought would take us another few years to save up for!).

As long as you have this booking at Princess you have complete control of it. You can transfer it, change it, or cancel it but when it goes to a TA you generally face penalties when a change is made.

However, at some point before final payment is made I would transfer to a very reputable TA when you can save say several hundred dollars. Princess may also lower the Price but you will have to call. So now is the time to monitor prices. It's fun and educational also.

Definitely see if you can swap to a TA for a better price and retain your chosen cabins. I think you made a great choice picking side by side balconies. We have cruised a few times with friends in adjoining balconies and it is lovely to open them up and have a super big balcony, not to mention you'll have proper beds and 2 bathrooms. :)

Archived