First time balcony questions!

J-Hawk

You need to be careful when the balcony door and the door to the hallway are open at the same time, they will slam shut. I have read alot about nieghbours complaining of slamming doors. Also I would suggest at least once ordering room service and enjoy your coffe/tea breakfast out there while watching the sun come up. AMAIZING!!!

hmmm someone did explain to you that balconies are as addicting as cruising is right :p

Enjoy we love having a balcony!!

Well this is our 1st time having a Balcony too.Our Category changed so our Oceanview changed to a Balcony.I too am worried that I won't be able to go back to inside but I am still so excited that we got such a nice upgrade:D.

Hi,

Our first two cruises in 2006 & 2007 were in Category 11, Jr. Suites on the Carnival Spirit. I never wanted to cruise any other way! The suite had plenty of room, a refrigerator and a full-sized tub! Spoiled me forever!

However, I am almost as happy with just having an Oceanview cabin. I did not spend too much time in my cabin and had a great time and view on the open decks.

I will say that the aft-wraparound balcony was really great on the Conquest! So much room!

As far as your fear of your 7 & 4 yr. old children: The lock is placed high on the door. It is a sliding bolt. Your 4 yr. old may not be able to open the doorlock, but I am sure your 7 yr. old could manage it. The doors have some resistence when you open them too. Even so, I would be like you and probably take an Oceanview cabin if I was traveling with my grandchildren.

Enjoy the experience!

Lee

fall in love with it......nothing like sitting out there day or night and watching the world go by.....plus with 2 little kids you will have a place to escape to while they sleep or nap where you can still enjoy your cruise with a drink or good book or both.........HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!

When you are peeking around into the next room, be sure to do it after dark.

Your 4 & 7 year old will not fall off the balcony. That said, they could climb up on a chair and jump over it, but I can't imagine anyone accidentally falling over a 4 foot high wall.

The glass balcony's can act like mirrors. At night, if your neighbor has their cabin light on, or in daytime depending on angle of sunlight, you may see their refection in the balcony. Remember -- that means they can see yours.

Also, they clean the balconies when in port. Anything left on them may get sprayed during the cleaning. They usually announce in the newsletter when that's going to be done.

Finally, if you get amorous on your balcony, remember there are cameras hanging off the bridge wing looking back. If you can see them, they can see you.

You will love the balcony. First 4 cruises were ocean view then we tried the balcony. * cruises later that is all book. Cat 11's are really nice. They are 1 1/2 times as wide with a separate sitting are for your DW to do her makeup, plus they have a whirlpool tub.

As others have said, you will be addicted to a balcony once you have one. Room service breakfast out there is just perfect in the morning. Or a great place to nap away from the crowds and still enjoy the calming sea.

One tip: Remember that when you pull into port, you sometimes will be right next to another ship. If you don't have your curtains drawn, your new "neighbor" will be able to see you. Keep that in mind if you are showering or involved in other "activities" as you pull into port. This applies to ocean view also - but not as much since balcony has larger glass area on the doors. I only say this from witnessing a "few things" on cruises.

Don't forget to bring your hibachi grill and a fishing pole. Nothing better than fresh grilled fillets!

I have no idea how many times this has happened but caution your children about the doors. I can envision a finger or hand being smashed in either the cabin door or the balcony door. They are heavy and self close.

Don't forget to bring your hibachi grill and a fishing pole. Nothing better than fresh grilled fillets!

I have no idea how many times this has happened but caution your children about the doors. I can envision a finger or hand being smashed in either the cabin door or the balcony door. They are heavy and self close.

But don't put the propane tank in your airport carry-on. :D

We have never had any privacy issues or security issues with a balcony.

My best tip: bring binoculars, lots to see.

So you know that nobody saw you on your balcony?

If you didn't see them looking, how do you know they weren't looking when you weren't watching? They might have been far away, using binoculars ;)

So you know that nobody saw you on your balcony?

If you didn't see them looking, how do you know they weren't looking when you weren't watching? They might have been far away, using binoculars ;)

I take your post in jest:D. I SEE your point!

If you kids still nap, having a balcony is great. You can still enjoy the nice weather and the kids can get their rest.

Our first cruise with our son, we did an outside cabin and when our son went to bed we all went. The next time we did a balcony, and while he went to sleep, we sat out on the balcony. I brought a book light so that I could read out there at night. There is a small light, but I did not find it bright enough to read by. Also the beach towel they put in your cabin works great as a little blanket. I found the robe too warm, but that is probably just me. Sometimes, I needed a little something over me. If I was alone on the balcony, I'd sit in one chair and put my feet up in the other. A few nights I even had a little nap out there. Love the fresh air and quiet.

LOL Once you've had a balcony, you will NEVER want to cruise without one. Some Carnival balconies are tiny!!!!..have to turn chairs sideways and take turns getting past the chairs, but I still loved having one...and REALLY loved the huge size of our extended balcony last week on the sensation

Archived