First time balcony questions!

J-Hawk

:D I worry about this because I have two boys (7 & 4).....I will not let them out there without me or my husband.....(I'm very paranoid! lol)

Good move. I can just see a 7 year old saying "get on my shoulders and look over". I'd be paranoid too.

Personally, I feel that balconies are over-rated, though I may be one of the few to think so. We were upgraded to balcony on our first cruise, and we've had inside cabins on the two previous. Really, I don't mind either way.

Yes, a balcony room is going to make your room seem brighter and bigger, and you have the option of sitting outside on your balcony, and you have a false sense of some privacy there (remember the thing about the bridge seeing you). But maybe it's just us, but we're not the sort to just sit in our cabins. It's a big ship, and plenty to do besides sitting around in the cabin. If that's your idea of fun, great. We use our cabin to sleep in, change clothes, and brief "staging"--we may sit around the cabin for half an hour or so if there is not anything better to do--though being up on deck seems more exciting than sitting in a cabin or balcony. We're not the sort to sit around at hotels not doing much, either. If we're on vacation, we'd much prefer to have fun, not do the same sort of things we can do at home. Just IMHO, though.

• 2 weeks later...
LOL Once you've had a balcony, you will NEVER want to cruise without one. Some Carnival balconies are tiny!!!!..have to turn chairs sideways and take turns getting past the chairs, but I still loved having one...and REALLY loved the huge size of our extended balcony last week on the sensation

And be careful with those chairs. I stubbed my toe and broke it the last regular balcony we had, but still wouldn't give up a balcony!

I freely admit it. We are balcony snobs.....and spoiled ones at that.

Cat 11 and 12 balcony cabins for us.

Seriously, from a practical standpoint, we can really only cruise as a fmaily once a year, so we splurge. The extra room of a Cat 11 or 12, not to mention the larger balcony are worth it for us.

I really love being able to go "outside" to my own private space whenever I want. I particularly enjoy my balcony at night. I sit out there long after the DW and DD are in bed, reading a good book, perhaps smoking a good cigar (which I only do on a cruise), drinking some good Kentucky Burbon, and reveling the glory of the open ocean.

Ahhhh.......only 65 days to go.......

Close your curtains when you dress or you might give your neighbours a show

Have breakfast every morning outdoors .WONDERFUL Nothing beats early morning coffee

You can have snacks and lunch too My son likes late pm room service lunch

Stargaze ,watch the waves,sunrise sunsets ..I dry my hair on the balcony ...rollers in ,feet up with book ..ahhhhhhhh

Turn AC off .Keep door open at night ...lulled by waves sleep tight

My first balcony Costa gave me ....I got hooked ..now I won't even consider going without one

Wait till you try Caribe deck balcony on Princess ...you will be hooked ...THEY ARE HUGE!!!

Do enjoy

Thanks for all the great info~ I booked my first balcony room on the destiny this august for my wedding along with 8 other couples. Quick question "what bridge?"

Bridge= where the Captains "steer" the boat lol.

So... what're the chances of seeing wildlife (animal' date=' not human LOL)?

My DH surprised me with our balcony this cruise, so I'm very excited!! :D

TIA![/quote']

Pretty good actually. Flying Fish are what I spot most often. They are fun to watch.

Thanks for all the great info~ I booked my first balcony room on the destiny this august for my wedding along with 8 other couples. Quick question "what bridge?"

If you look at most modern cruise ships you will note that the first 15 - 20 feet of an upper deck looks like a stubby wing sticking out over the side of the ship. The entire front of that deck is the bridge - from which the captain and bridge crew navigate and steer the ship. The "wings" allow the bridge crew to see down the entire length of the ship which aids in close-in maneuvering.

When you are on your balcony look forward at the underside of the "wing". You will in all likelihood see at least one camera, probably more than one.

With respect to having both doors in the cabin open, don't do it. I recall entering the cabin when the balcony door was open. I was almost dragged into the cabin, the door was ripped out of my hand and some papers on the desk were swept out onto the balcony. The ship was sailing at the time which may have accounted for the strength of the suction. I literally had to lean against the cabin door and push very hard to get the door closed. Actually scary.

Absolutely loved our Caribe balcony on Princess. Do any of the Carnival ships have similiarly sized balconies? Maybe the extended? I am looking at booking our next cruise and we haven't picked which ship yet but are hoping for a Caribbean cruise this time. Believe it or not, balcony size will determine our ship...it means that much to me! We spent a lot of time on our caribe balcony in Mexico and it was a highlight of the trip.:)

Archived