Port of Melb - Ability to cope with Embarkation

Shiraz49

Hi all,

As there have now been quite a few ex Melb departures this cruise season I was curious to hear from those who have embarked in Melbourne what they thought of the process in Melb?????

Previous cruises we've taken all involved embarkation overseas, this was especially great in Hawaii where being 'foreigners' we had our own VERY short queue to register get our Id cards etc.

I'm concerned about Melb ports ability to cope especially as there are 2 ships leaving on the 6th Feb (Dawn Princess & Pacific Dawn).............

anyone want to take bets on someone getting onto the wrong Dawn:D

Hi all,

As there have now been quite a few ex Melb departures this cruise season I was curious to hear from those who have embarked in Melbourne what they thought of the process in Melb?????

Previous cruises we've taken all involved embarkation overseas, this was especially great in Hawaii where being 'foreigners' we had our own VERY short queue to register get our Id cards etc.

I'm concerned about Melb ports ability to cope especially as there are 2 ships leaving on the 6th Feb (Dawn Princess & Pacific Dawn).............

anyone want to take bets on someone getting onto the wrong Dawn:D

I have only sailed into Melbourne as a port of call, not embarked there so I am sorry I can't answer the first part of your post.

Regarding the two ships - The Pacific Dawn is calling in on a day visit as part of their Tasmanian cruise from Brisbane. New passengers will not be embarking. Even so, I don't know where the second ship would berth with two in Melbourne on the one day unless they are going to use the spot usually occupied by the Spirit of Tasmania. She would be departing at 9am and the second ferry arriving at 6pm.

Thanks, that's good news the crowds trying to board/clear customs won't be too bad in that case.

In regard to berthing the Pacific Dawn would be behind the Spirit, that occasionally happens when more than 1 cruise ship calls at Melbourne.

Regarding the two ships - The Pacific Dawn is calling in on a day visit as part of their Tasmanian cruise from Brisbane. New passengers will not be embarking. Even so, I don't know where the second ship would berth with two in Melbourne on the one day unless they are going to use the spot usually occupied by the Spirit of Tasmania. She would be departing at 9am and the second ferry arriving at 6pm.

The Wharf at Melbourne, Station Pier,

can easily handle 2 cruise ships at once. .....

one on either side...

and still plenty of room for the Spirit

in its usual place.

When Dawn was in the other day

I think Oceanias , Nautica was also in.

We did a Cup cruise many years ago

on Norwegian Star

and shared the pier with a P&O ship....

Pacific Sky ,from memory.

Thats right, there is plenty of room for ships at Station Pier, not long ago both the Diamond Princess and the Sun Princess were there together. And the Diamond is by no means a small ship.;)

I have embarked at Melbourne not long ago, for the Dawn Princess round Australia cruise and all pax were embarking at Melb. The whole process was very smooth, and vehicles were allowed to drive up to the wharf and drop passengers off right at the entrance to the terminal. It was just the same as embarking at wharf 8 really, queued up and got the cruise card and other required items and then straight onto the ship. I think it took a total of ten minutes to go from the terminal to walking down the gangway to the ship.

The whole process was very smooth, and vehicles were allowed to drive up to the wharf and drop passengers off right at the entrance to the terminal.

Thanks Decco,

Thats good information to pass on.

I was wondering how they got on.

I have only been there when the ship has called for the day and no one was allowed through the port gates to walk down the pier unless they showed their cruise card.

Its a great terminal they have there.

Plenty of room.

Thats right, there is plenty of room for ships at Station Pier, not long ago both the Diamond Princess and the Sun Princess were there together. And the Diamond is by no means a small ship.;)

Yes - they were in Melbourne at the same time. Sorry. This slipped my mind.:)

Hi .We boarded from Melbourne last Feb and it was a breeze. We were very impressed with it all. Arrived,walked to the boarding area and filled out the medical questions. Went to the counter where we did some paper work and were given a (B) card and didn't wait too long and we were off on board. I wish there were more cruises from Melb that don't go to NZ. Suexxx

Quite a lot of people (about 800) boarded Pacific Sun in Melbourne on the relocation cruise to Perth and I didn't hear any horror stories about it. We (as transit passengers) had no trouble getting back on the ship when we came back from spending the day in the City, and boarding the "new comers" seemed to go well from what we saw when we came through the terminal.

With Dawn Princess & Pacific Dawn both there they might board Pacific Dawn (as it's transiting) straight from the wharf (using the shipboard x-ray machine/metal detector) to leave the terminal building clear for the processing of the Dawn Princess passengers disembarking and embarking.

We went on the Sun Princess exactly a year ago. It was pretty smooth and it was our first cruise, so it isn't as if we were experts or knew what to do. Our son drove us in to a drop off point. It was 3 minutes parking only and people were there, helping to unload the car boots and hurry us on. The suitcases were checked for tags and whizzed away in the blink of an eye.

Then we had various lines to get through. There was a short wait at each one but the lines kept moving so it wasn't too bad and it was easy to work out where to go.

I don't think you should have too much trouble, hopefully.

We went on the Sun Princess exactly a year ago. It was pretty smooth and it was our first cruise, so it isn't as if we were experts or knew what to do. Our son drove us in to a drop off point. It was 3 minutes parking only and people were there, helping to unload the car boots and hurry us on. The suitcases were checked for tags and whizzed away in the blink of an eye.

Then we had various lines to get through. There was a short wait at each one but the lines kept moving so it wasn't too bad and it was easy to work out where to go.

I don't think you should have too much trouble, hopefully.

Ok i have a question...can friends stay with you after they have dropped you off? We went to the pier on Tuesday to see the Diamond and unless you were on the ship, you couldnt actually get anywhere near the ship...there appeared to be a checkpoint..i assume if you are travelling, you can go past this, and much closer to the cruise terminal itself..if you are being dropped off, logic would tell me, that once your out of the terminal area, friends could not actually get back in. Anyone shine any light on this for me...Thanks...cheers Jas:)

Ok i have a question...can friends stay with you after they have dropped you off? We went to the pier on Tuesday to see the Diamond and unless you were on the ship, you couldnt actually get anywhere near the ship...there appeared to be a checkpoint..i assume if you are travelling, you can go past this, and much closer to the cruise terminal itself..if you are being dropped off, logic would tell me, that once your out of the terminal area, friends could not actually get back in. Anyone shine any light on this for me...Thanks...cheers Jas:)

Actually i may have answered my own question. As Diamond was on the last 2 days of a cruise, it would not have been taking passengers, so i am sure that is probably why there was no acceess to pier...I am sure when a ship is in town that is actually taking passengers, getting to the terminal with friends would be alot easier....still would be good if anyone could clarify.....thanks everyone:)

Correct Jas

The whole area around the cruise ship is sectioned off by security. If you are being dropped off then there is a drop off area. Friends then have to depart the area and will only beable to wave ya off somewhere else.

B&B :D

Archived