Packing binoculars or not????

globalwife

I have read a few post stating to pack binoculars. We are leaving in two days and are still debating if we should take them. We have an interior room, 7 night cruise with only one day at sea in the Southern Caribbean. The binoculars we have are borrowed from my father-in-law so they are quite good but also old, heavy and a bit bulky. As far as our port stops are concerened, we won't take them with us off the ship. So tell me, do you use them while on the ship? What kinds of things do you look for with them? Should we pack them or not?

I have read a few post stating to pack binoculars. We are leaving in two days and are still debating if we should take them. We have an interior room, 7 night cruise with only one day at sea in the Southern Caribbean. The binoculars we have are borrowed from my father-in-law so they are quite good but also old, heavy and a bit bulky. As far as our port stops are concerened, we won't take them with us off the ship. So tell me, do you use them while on the ship? What kinds of things do you look for with them? Should we pack them or not?

I packed them..and used them a lot..when we cruised Alaska. But not for any of the other cruises we've taken.

We're going to be cruising along the coast of Norway in April, though, and I'll take them, then.

I think it depends a lot on whether your cruise is an opportunity to see the geography along the way, or to get you to places where you intend to get off the ship and lay on the beach. Probably don't need binoculars to lay on the beach...unless you want a close-up of the competition! :D

I have taken my binos with me on most cruises..on some room categories on Celebrity, they are supplied in the room. Mine are small, but are powerful enough for me. I keep them in our backpack which we take everywhere. Most of the time I use them while at sea...in fact, one time on the Zenith, while returing to Miami, the ship "rescued" boat people from Cuba...I used the binoculars up to the point we pulled aside their "boat".

I have a small pair that I travel with. I know the old bulky ones you are talking about. If this is your first cruise you will enjoy using them from the deck as you approach and leave ports. Also sometimes you can spot another ship at sea. I say if they fit in your luggage, bring them! My cruise leaves for the Southern Caribbean Sat.

Have a great trip!!

We always take one or two pairs of binoculars when we cruise. We usually have a balcony, and they're great for spotting other ships, wildlife, and just "sea viewing". We have smaller, travel size binoculars, and depending on the itinerary we also take larger, more powerful ones.

We always take them and have always used them.

We like to watch for other ships and sea life.(Spotted a whale and baby on a few cruises ago)

It is also fun to check out the ports coming and going.

Hope you can fit them in.

Have a great time.

Michelle

I use mine all the time. I also book balcony cabins, but even so some of our best viewing has been from the promenade during the day, We watch other ships. One of the best was a Sailing training ship in FULL SAIL that most people could not see or make out. Many people asked to look through them.

You can also go to darker areas of the upper decks and do some great stargazing.

I have a small pair of powerful binoculars that goes right into my small suitcase and hardly takes any room at all.

I keep them out and handy in the cabin. Love to scan the sea from the balcony...and you'll never know what you might see. Others ships, for instance, close ups of land masses, dolphins and other sea life, etc....

I wouldn't cruise without my binoculars! I bring them to the pool, so I can check out any land-masses we pass, or ships on the horizon.....I've had other people ask to borrow them for a look!

There's alot to see at sea...bring them!

I got my bf a pair for Christmas.. at first he looked at my like "huh??" even after I explained they were for the cruise. After reading your replies I think he will really appreciate them when we are out to see in 11 days :)

A well known photographer, when asked what was the best camera, replied, the one you have with you. I think the same is true of binoculars. I'd opt for a small compact pair. Sure a nice set of Steiner 7x50s would be ideal, but if I can stick a compact pair of Bushnells in my pocket and take them anywhere easily, I'm ahead of the game. I got a cheap pair of Simmons binoculars at Dick's Sporting Goods for around 10 bucks. They're not the best, but they do the trick and will fit in a pocket.

I always take my binoculars, and my DH brought along a second set for our Alaskan cruise because he knew I would not share there. We usually have an inside cabin or obstructed view cabin, so most of my viewing is on the Promenade Deck.

My binoculars are waterproof, so I have enjoyed them on some snorkeling excursions--not while snorkeling, but while we're on the little boat getting to a snorkeling spot. They were also great to have on kayaking excursions.

I always take them, but ours are small and compact. I am always interested in wildlife, while my husband likes architecture. sometimes you can't get close enuf to what you want to see.

There's ajoke there. But I don't wanta go to Banned Camp.

Archived