Going to Labadee Tomorrow

aprilfool

I understand that 100 land miles is too close to the starving masses for you to enjoy your burger. I'm just curious... How far away do you have to be from human misery before it does not affect you lifestyle? Also, what scope of misery is required to affect your appetite?

Its just odd, if the ship were to sail right by the island, as a day at sea, instead of revenue generating port day, I'm sure you would enjoy the lunch buffet just fine. :confused: How are the poor souls of Hati less miserable if you eat your burger from the comfort of your kitchen table. :confused:

Crazy how we draw artificial boundries to rationalize the fact that none of us does as much as we can to help the least among us.

I wasn't trying to rationalize. But thanks for the sermon. I can skip church this weekend.;)

One of the U.S. Navy's hospital ships USNS Comfort is being deployed to Haiti quickly. She has 12 operating rooms, 1000 beds, 1000 personnel and can make 300,000 gallons of drinking water per day.

That should help some.

Sadly, she is still a week away.

We will be on the NOS and are scheduled to be in Labadee on Monday. I just can't see myself sunning on the beach, playing in the water, eating a b-b-q lunch, and enjoying a cocktail while a 100 miles away, there are tens of thousands of dead people being piled up on the streets, with the survivors stunned and looking for food and water. I believe it would be disrespectful for me to come to their country and party while this tragedy is unfolding. This is not your typical situation. I understand that Haiti, Jamaica, etc. are poor countries and have a very low standard of living. I have no problem vacationing there in normal circumstances and always try to do business with locals. However, this country and its people (including the local staff at Labadee) are experiencing a major diaster. While I appreciate RCI's efforts on behalf of the Haitan people, I think I will stay on the ship that day and donate my excursion money via a charge on my onboard account. It is interesting to be faced with this sort of moral/ethical dilemma with something as carefree as a cruise.

Stay onboard-but dont begrudge those that wish to visit. I'll be there with Liberty on Tuesday and I plan on enjoying my Zip Line excursion as well as the time on the beach.

Also-for those that feel they would like to do more and have already sent in their $10... visit your local churches to see what they are doing. And then go donate blood. Once the major rescue operations have concluded, and the governmental search and rescue teams leave, the faith based organizations will arrive to help out with the day to day needs. Donating clothes, shoes etc. locally, today, will help out those that need it later.

We all want to do more-and we all want to do it RIGHT NOW... Sadly- it takes time...

Remember that the biggest risk right now is disease. It's quite probable that more people will die from disease than from the actual quake itself. Giving money is the way to help prevent further deaths.

Sadly, she is still a week away.

Yea, she can't get there quick enough.

In the meantime, other ships are doing what they can. Coast Guard Cutter Mohawk has already taken several injured aboard. Unfortunately, her medical compliment is very limited.

After reading thru all the threads there is a few common themes about this. Understandably most people's opinion is emotionally driven which sometimes transends logic. Here are some of the things I've read why RCCL should avoid Labadee:

1. Guilt

Many people has indicated that they would feel too guilty sunning on a beach enjoying a cocktail knowing hundreds of thousands of people are dying/dead 100 miles away.

There are a couple of things wrong with this. First, what does distance have to do with it? Would you feel less guilty if you were in Cozumel? Why? The tragedy doesn't change. People still needs help.

Guilt implies that something is your fault. No one is at fault here. In this case its a selfish emotion because if you feel guilty that you are not suffering when others are, it somehow makes you feel better. This helps no one but yourself. Compassion is what we should be feeling here.

2. Logistics

Getting food, water and medical supplies is too difficult to transport from Labadee 100 miles to Port of Prince...it'll just stay at the dock.

Consider this - The cruise industry is the best in coordinating these types of logistics. They do it every day when they turn over a ship. Give RCCL some credit in that they have this worked out. Everyone is assuming that these items will be transported over ground. Anyone heard of helicopters? I suspect that RCCL has partnered with a Red Cross like organization to be a distribution center.

3. Labadee help

Docking in Labadee doesn't help the people in Port of Prince.

This is a short term view. Maybe it doesn't immediately help these people but it does in the long term. First, thru the port fees, Haiti receives over 100K each week from RCCL. Some may argue how much of that actually helps the people rather then some corrupt politicians, however, I contend that its better than no money. 2nd, helping the workers in Labadee by keeping them employed indirectly helps. I'm sure these workers have family and friends that are affected and need money to help them out.

4. Safety

The desperate situation in Port of Prince coupled with a weak government and police force makes Haiti a dangerous country to be in. There are looters and rioters and are starting to move to the countryside for food.

The fact is that Haiti has always been a dangerous place. Why do you think there is a fence 14 foot wide surrounding the property? Again, I have to believe that RCCL has this covered. Think of what it would do to them as a company if their customers were overran by rioters. Its clearly been stated that getting from Labadee to Port of Prince is not an easy thing to do because of poor infrastructure. Wouldn't you think that RCCL would have plenty of warning and time if the rioters head that way? Food and water are not stored on Labadee, but loaded from the ship.

As you may have guessed, I think RCCL is doing the right compassionate thing by keeping their Labadee schedule and transporting supplies into the country. I do not fault anyone that has a different opinion, but wanted to respond to some of the statements being thrown out there.

John

Happy Cruising

Wonderful post - I agree totally.

Yea, she can't get there quick enough.

In the meantime, other ships are doing what they can. Coast Guard Cutter Mohawk has already taken several injured aboard. Unfortunately, her medical compliment is very limited.

I wonder what the condition and status is of the actual pier being constructed for Oasis/Allure in Labadee. I wonder if it's something which, if RCCL were to make it available to the military, could be converted in short order into something which could help load/offload supplies from any sort of ship. It might not have all the passenger amenities of a complete cruise terminal constructed/completed yet, but if just the concrete slab is there, I wonder what utility that could provide for the relief effort.

Granted, it's not a container port and doesn't have container cranes, but with the news reports showing that the Port-Au-Prince port is completely unusable, I wonder if it could be of any use for any type of cargo ship until the main PAP port is back on line. And given how much more cargo any type of ship can carry vs. a plane or helicopter, getting ships into the country is a big deal.

Of course, getting out of Labadee and closer to the quake epicenter is an even greater challenge.

That said I donated $40 to the relief effort because it's what my brain knows I can do, with what I have, where I am, to help. However, from an emotional standpoint, I'm glad I'm not in the situation of calling at Labadee next week. As much as I know there is suffering and know that the port calls help Haiti get back on their feet, I can see how a beer on the beach in that situation could trigger any number of very strong emotions, the whole range of which has been mentioned here already...

I wonder what the condition and status is of the actual pier being constructed for Oasis/Allure in Labadee. I wonder if it's something which, if RCCL were to make it available to the military, could be converted in short order into something which could help load/offload supplies from any sort of ship. It might not have all the passenger amenities of a complete cruise terminal constructed/completed yet, but if just the concrete slab is there, I wonder what utility that could provide for the relief effort.

Granted, it's not a container port and doesn't have container cranes, but with the news reports showing that the Port-Au-Prince port is completely unusable, I wonder if it could be of any use for any type of cargo ship until the main PAP port is back on line. And given how much more cargo any type of ship can carry vs. a plane or helicopter, getting ships into the country is a big deal.

Of course, getting out of Labadee and closer to the quake epicenter is an even greater challenge.

"Being constructed" is an obsolete phrase. We docked there on Dec. 3 and the pier was 100% completely, finally, entirely finished. Done. Period. It was our 3rd trip to Labadee. As you implied, the 100 mile over the road trip to the impact area is intense. But, anything RCCL can do to help this horrible situation, is worth it.

If they can find helicopters to airlift the cargo, that would be even better. The pier is wide enough for them to pick up there.

And, thanks for your contribution.

Rick and Deirdra

If anyone is still wondering about the relative location of Labadee to Port-au-Prince and the rest of Haiti, you can take a look at my cruise map of Labadee.

The initial zoom level is quite close, so you'll have to click "out" several clicks on the scale to the left to see them all together. Take note of the scale in the lower left corner for estimated distances.

Theron

Because in the past relief groups after hurricanes and floods have been overwhelmed by well meaning individuals donations of clothing and other items that has ended up rotting in warehouses. It is a waste of time and energy to have to deal with it.

Absolutely -- Years ago I did lots of volunteer work for an organization, and it was a mixed blessing to receive donations other than money. Much of what was donated was not able to be used, yet we had to spend our time sorting through it and then use our time and energy to get it trashed. Our time could have been much more productive doing other things.

It is prudent for all of us to listen to those doing the work -- those right there where the need is -- and help in the way they are asking. Right now, it's money. An example. Our church runs a food pantry, providing food to thousands of people per year. The director once gave a demonstration with jars of peanut butter. One jar is the one bought at a grocery store for $4 and given to the food pantry. The other, along with an additional two, are the ones bought with $4 cash donated to the food pantry - because they can buy in bulk from a food wholesaler who reduces costs to food organizations. The peanut butter bought for $4 was put to good use, for sure. But the three jars that were bought with an equal $4 helped much more. And of course a food pantry would not ever consider turning away donations of food... and it is fun when "fun" food is donated (such as cookies), but the real purpose is to help folks without resources put some meals on the table; to meet some basic nurishment needs.

OK, well, our upcoming cruise is scheduled to stop at Labadee. We'll keep watching what RCCL suggests as ways for passengers to help.

It might not have all the passenger amenities of a complete cruise terminal constructed/completed yet, but if just the concrete slab is there, I wonder what utility that could provide for the relief effort.

The USCG just assessed two ports much closer to PAP. I do not remember the names of the towns, but one pier was at an old rice factory and the other at an old cement factory. They are 20-30 miles from PAP and have cranes.

One of the U.S. Navy's hospital ships USNS Comfort is being deployed to Haiti quickly. She has 12 operating rooms, 1000 beds, 1000 personnel and can make 300,000 gallons of drinking water per day.

That should help some.

They were talking about her on CNN this morning. The reason it is taking so long to leave is that the personnel has to come in from all over the country. She is an older ship and they say "does not move that fast". She is to leave from Baltimore this morning.

Laura

Yes, I too would have mixed emotions about going there, BUT as most people have said RCCL staying away is going to do more harm then good. They are taking in supplies and the income that Haiti would not get would be even more problems to the economy.

Looking at what the implications are by RCCL stopping the island visit would be bad all around. Supporting the country by stopping there generates the much need flow of money. (ie $10 per person for dock fees).

I beleive RCCL is handling this the way it should be handled.

Have read through the posts and just want to mention that we are pleased that RCI will be helping Haiti with supplies from their ships.

Having been to Haiti twice, some years ago, we feel that any assistance with the economy will help Haiti.

There is poverty, suffering, and disaster in many parts of the world at any given time, but we all still need to keep the world economy going for the benefit of all. Just our opinion.

They were talking about her on CNN this morning. The reason it is taking so long to leave is that the personnel has to come in from all over the country. She is an older ship and they say "does not move that fast". She is to leave from Baltimore this morning.

Laura

The USNS Comfort is basically on reserve status until needed. They only have a skeleton crew permanenly onboard. It's taking so long to leave because they had to call up personnel and load supplies before they left. They gave the crew (most from Bethesda national medical center) something like 72 hours to report. The ship moves as fast as any ship its size. They were preparing to leave yesterday. Our local news has a reporter onboard. And, my DH is a US Navy Captain (reserve) and they were expecting voluntary recalls for certain specialties.

I think it's sickening that RCI is going to Labadee right now

Copied from the RCCl Cruise Line Website:

As one of Haiti's largest foreign investors for almost 30 years, we are providing at least $1 million in humanitarian relief in response to the catastrophic earthquake in Port-Au-Prince. We are partnering with charitable organizations such as Food for the Poor, the Pan American Development Foundation and the Solano Foundation. We are also delivering much needed goods and supplies to Haiti via our cruise ships.

Leslie Voltaire, Special Envoy of the government of Haiti to the United Nations said, "Given the terrible economic and social challenges we now face in Haiti, we welcome the continuation of the positive economic benefits that the cruise ship calls to Labadee contribute to our country."

In addition to continuing our visitation to Haiti, and the revenue it brings to the country, 100% of the company's net revenue from the destination will be contributed to the relief effort. Guests will also have the ability to make donations to the Food for the Poor’s Haiti Relief Fund through their onboard accounts fleetwide.

To learn how you can contribute immediately, visit: http://www.foodforthepoor.org/royalcaribbean

For ongoing updates, please visit Royal Caribbean President and CEO Adam Goldstein’s blog here.

The following ships will be delivering goods to Haiti, such as: rice, dried beans, powdered milk, water, canned goods and other supplies. When the supplies arrive in Labadee®, they will be transported to an offsite location to be distributed by Food for the Poor, a long time partner of Royal Caribbean in Haiti.

Independence of the Seas® - Friday, January 15th

Navigator of the Seas® - Monday, January 18th

Liberty of the Seas® - Tuesday, January 19th

Celebrity Solstice® - Friday, January 22nd

To learn more about our relief efforts in Haiti click here.

The USNS Comfort is basically on reserve status until needed. They only have a skeleton crew permanenly onboard. It's taking so long to leave because they had to call up personnel and load supplies before they left. They gave the crew (most from Bethesda national medical center) something like 72 hours to report. The ship moves as fast as any ship its size. Age has little to do with it. They were preparing to leave yesterday. Our local news has a reporter onboard.

I was just reporting what they said on CNN this morning about the ship.

Laura

We will be on the NOS and are scheduled to be in Labadee on Monday. I just can't see myself sunning on the beach, playing in the water, eating a b-b-q lunch, and enjoying a cocktail while a 100 miles away, there are tens of thousands of dead people being piled up on the streets, with the survivors stunned and looking for food and water. I believe it would be disrespectful for me to come to their country and party while this tragedy is unfolding. This is not your typical situation. I understand that Haiti, Jamaica, etc. are poor countries and have a very low standard of living. I have no problem vacationing there in normal circumstances and always try to do business with locals. However, this country and its people (including the local staff at Labadee) are experiencing a major diaster. While I appreciate RCI's efforts on behalf of the Haitan people, I think I will stay on the ship that day and donate my excursion money via a charge on my onboard account. It is interesting to be faced with this sort of moral/ethical dilemma with something as carefree as a cruise.

How is it more respectful for you to enjoy all comforts of the ship (which now docks) instead of the comforts of the island a 500 yards down the pier? Do you really believe the average resident of Port-au-Prince will be making that distinction?:confused: I'm guessing they have other things on their mind.:rolleyes:

If you are that worked up about it, the only sensible thing for you to do is cancel the cruise and send what refund you recieve and moneys you would have spent to the relief effort. Let us know if you intend to take this approach....If not plesae expect no sympathy for your "moral and ethical dilemia".

How is it more respectful for you to enjoy all comforts of the ship (which now docks) instead of the comforts of the island a 500 yards down the pier? Do you really believe the average resident of Port-au-Prince will be making that distinction?:confused: I'm guessing they have other things on their mind.:rolleyes:

If you are that worked up about it, the only sensible thing for you to do is cancel the cruise and send what refund you recieve and moneys you would have spent to the relief effort. Let us know if you intend to take this approach....If not plesae expect no sypathy for your "moral and ethical dilemia".

I agree with you. I wonder if people would have a problem if the ship docked in the Dominican Rebublic? It is a different country but the same island. How about Jamaica? It is a different island but not far from Haiti. Maybe the entire Caribbean should be included in the exclusion zone. Labadee is a remote location where nothing that RCI or its guests are doing is being flaunted in front of anyone except for the same people who live in the area and have the ability to see what goes on at Labadee day after week after year. Cruise ships and their passengers is nothing new to them. And I am quite sure that those locals who somehow make a living off of these ships and passengers have no interest in seeing their source of livelihood go away because of some thing that has happened many miles away.

And I am sure that you are quite correct when you state that the last thing those folks living in Port-Au-Prince are worrying about right now is what is going on at Labadee.

I'm sure that Labadee will have relief kiosks there where pax. can directly drop money off. At least that money will have made it to the actual country without having to go through all the admin. charges that happen donating from the USA.

Archived