"Naughty room" for 2 airplane bottles of rum!

sprockie

Maybe it is the thrill of the hunt that drives lines like RCI to search for smuggled booze and find it!!

If they were really serious they would put a bounty on it and pay crew to find it. ;) Since they aren't going to throw anyone off for smuggling maybe it is time they levied "fines" to cover the costs of having employees and crew spend the time to search for hidden booze.

Of course their job is made easier given the fact that smugglers love to brag about how they got booze onboard and RCI employees read those threads.:p

I'm fascinated when anyone gets upset if someone "breaks the rules" when the rule has no apparent consequence to their own enjoyment. "Mind your own business" was an oft used phrase while I was growing up. Now everyone's a cop' date=' or looking for some offense.

There are rules, and most are stupid rules promulgated to stop stupid people from behaving stupidly. Read your lawn mower's or step ladder's labels for an eye roll or two. Allowing passengers to buy and use a liter or two of liquor from the ship store over the course of a week long cruise would go far in stopping this silliness. But that's either too simple, or the lawyers are at work.

And let's not confuse company rules with laws.[/quote']

I suppose that it is not so much the breaking of the rule that upsets people that much, it is the continuous posting on forums about how someone broke a rule and got caught and is upset that a rule was actually enforced. It ceases to be other peoples business once it is posted publicly on a forums. At least in this thread noone has claimed to be a cop, no CC member has taken any enforcement action. IF anyone is acting cop-like it would be ships security and guess what - THAT IS THEIR JOB!

Now a rule that is designed to keep stupid people from doing stupid things, is by it's very nature not stupid in and of itself. I too wish we didn't need a sticker on screwdrivers telling us to wear hearing protection but then again some idiot probably stuck on in his ear and sue the company for not telling him not to, so now they do. Much like the cruise line tells us not to bring our own liquor on board the ship. I fail to see how allowing one to buy bottles on board would stop smuggling, as you can buy drinks on board and most smugglers complain about the price not the availability.

I also have not seen anyone confusing ships rules with laws. However since those rules are contained as clauses within a contract they do at least have some legal status. As they are the rules of the ship they can be enforced by the crew of the ship. Laws are passed by governments rules are passed by property owners, in this case the cruise line.

I'm fascinated when anyone gets upset if someone "breaks the rules" when the rule has no apparent consequence to their own enjoyment. "Mind your own business" was an oft used phrase while I was growing up. Now everyone's a cop' date=' or looking for some offense.

There are rules, and most are stupid rules promulgated to stop stupid people from behaving stupidly. Read your lawn mower's or step ladder's labels for an eye roll or two. Allowing passengers to buy and use a liter or two of liquor from the ship store over the course of a weeklong cruise would go far in stopping this silliiness. But that's either too simple, or the lawyers are at work.

And let's not confuse company rules with laws.[/quote']

And I am equally fascinated by the way that folks feel the need to come here and post about how they managed to break some rule and how they got away with it or ask people for advice on how they might be able to get away with with breaking some rule.

[/quote']

When the person getting caught opened up his experience to discussion on a public web forum, he invited it to be everyone's business.

When the person getting caught opened up his experience to discussion on a public web forum, he invited it to be everyone's business.

You have a choice to make before you accept the "invitation," and that is whether or not to participate in the tut-tutting. Suppose there is a passenger passing through security who minutes before you overheard talking about the rumrunner or mouthwash bottle full of whatever in his carry-on...do you feel obligated to alert the x-ray machine operator that he missed something? The passenger invited it by neglectfully mentioning it within your earshot, wouldn't you agree...the rules, after all, are the rules, and meant for everybody.

I only wish RCCL would pursue poolside chair-hogs with the vigor they invest in catching granny's two shots of jack. I'm sure none of the tut-tutters here would ever engage in that "rule bending," which actually does affect others' enjoyment of their cruise.

BTW: I'm neither a smuggler nor chair-hog...those are my choices.

And I am equally fascinated by the way that folks feel the need to come here and post about how they managed to break some rule and how they got away with it or ask people for advice on how they might be able to get away with with breaking some rule.

I fascinated by the way people are upset that their method of smuggling no longer works after they post it on CC

:cj

Yeah, like watching the neighbor lady cutting the grass, or tuning-in to Jerry Springer for the conversation...it's popular low-brow entertainment.

You have a choice to make before you accept the "invitation' date='" and that is whether or not to participate in the tut-tutting. Suppose there is a passenger passing through security who minutes before you overheard talking about the rumrunner or mouthwash bottle full of whatever in his carry-on...do you feel obligated to alert the x-ray machine operator that he missed something? The passenger invited it by neglectfully mentioning it within your earshot, wouldn't you agree...the rules, after all, are the rules, and meant for everybody.[/quote']

Respectfully, no. Overhearing a conversation of a person, and that person posting it on a public blog are two different things. And no, I would not report it. I do agree that scenario would be none of my business.

i would have opened both minis in the naughty room and chugged them, then handed them the empties and burped.

That could have backfired on you.

Years ago my parents were coming home from Europe. They were going through customs at JFK. The couple in front of them had at least a dozen suitcases and a big steamer trunk. (This was back in the day when people traveled like that and there were no restrictions.

The husband was drinking out of a small bottle of some beverage that by the label he clearly bought in Italy.

The customs official told him he would not be allowed to bring the bottle into the country and would have to disgard it .

With a smart look on his face , the man down the whole bottle in froint of him . Then turned the bottle upside down to show the agent there wasn't a drop left.

The agent didn't say a word .

He went over to the other agent at the table , pointed to the couples mountain of suitcases and said "Open them ALL up" The other agent proceded to open the bags and took out every stitch of clothing turning things inside out and every which way .

The wife was furious and started telling the agent they had a connecting flight in 45 minutes . Without looking up at her , the said said "Oh you won't be making that"

They then opened up another counter to accomadate the rest of teh passengers

I wonder why I never thought to use that line on my father when I was growing up!

I am pretty sure your father would have said he was the government as far as you were concerned, but even if he did not I bet he owned the house.:)

You have a choice to make before you accept the "invitation' date='" and that is whether or not to participate in the tut-tutting. Suppose there is a passenger passing through security who minutes before you overheard talking about the rumrunner or mouthwash bottle full of whatever in his carry-on...do you feel obligated to alert the x-ray machine operator that he missed something? The passenger invited it by neglectfully mentioning it within your earshot, wouldn't you agree...the rules, after all, are the rules, and meant for everybody.

I only wish RCCL would pursue poolside chair-hogs with the vigor they invest in catching granny's two shots of jack. I'm sure none of the tut-tutters here would ever engage in that "rule bending," which actually does affect others' enjoyment of their cruise.

BTW: I'm neither a smuggler nor chair-hog...those are my choices.[/quote']

If someone is stupid enough to talk about smuggling in the security line, I am the least of their worries. People like that doing things like that are why we have those not so stupid rules. I however would not feel compelled to tell security about it as it is not my job to do so, whereas when joining an online forum, one is encouraged to participate in any and all discussions brought into the community.

I agree the rules are the rules and they are for everybody. I have no experience with chair hogs but I understand them to be a problem. I have often wondered why some rules are enforced more vigorously than others, but again it is not my place as a passenger who agreed to follow all the rules to debate enforcement of some of them with the cruise line. I wish they would be a stringent about the formal night attire as they are with hidden liquor, but that's just me.

How about bringing a few mini's (50 ml) onboard for the odd martini in your cabin. I know, theoretically it's still considered smuggling, but would they really confiscate a few sample size bottles if found in your checked luggage?

Actually, both should be enforced!

Well maybe if the drinks were more reasonable they wouldn't have smuggling.

I'm afraid not!

People would still smuggle and try to justify it with the usual excuses...

"I want a cocktail on my balcony before dinner," "they don't have my brand," etc., etc..

When I want to bring MY swords onboard I put them in a "swordrunner". My wife likes to swordfight on the balcony before dinner. It's not taking any money from RCCL as they do not provide the types of swords we enjoy fighting with.

NOW THAT IS FUNNY-- don't care who you are---LOL!~

donnakg:)

Celebrity allows passangers to bring 1 bottle of wine on per person. I wish RCCL did this too. It's nice to have something that is ok to bring on board. We do like a glass before and during dinner. Do liquor stores sell small wine boxes and do you think if you remove the bag from the box that it would be ok during flight? Wouldn't want burgundy stained lothing at dinner. Maybe I could pass it off as tie dyed:D

Carnival also allows 1 bottle of wine or champagne per pax.

They dont care if you bring a case of cokes , and at one port I saw a guy purchase a big bottle of a wiskey or something like it and he when rite thru!

I am really shocked that RC is so stringent.:(

donnakg

Archived