Suggestions wanted for missing 100 day medal

bermuda triangle

Hi,

My grandmother will be turning 90 on our next cruise. She had a 100 day medal which has seemed to have disappeared into thin air. She is rather distraught. What is the likelyhood the mariner society will replace the medal? Is anyone interested in selling theirs?

Any other suggestions??

Thanks,

Laura

100-day medallions have become a thing of the past, so if you want to get it replaced you should act quickly.

First thing to do is contact the Mariner Society in Seattle and let them know your predicament. If there are any left I'll bet a round of drinks that they will be willing to replace your grandmother's.

Please let us know how this turns out. Best of luck.

Ruth's suggestion is very good and I agree.

In the event that doesn't produce a Medallion for your grandmother, after boarding I would suggest you visit with the Guest Relations Manager and explain the situation. He/she may be able to help.

Of course, you'd prefer to have it in hand prior to leaving for your cruise but maybe that could be your 'Plan B".

Hi,

My grandmother will be turning 90 on our next cruise. She had a 100 day medal which has seemed to have disappeared into thin air. She is rather distraught. What is the likelyhood the mariner society will replace the medal? Is anyone interested in selling theirs?

Any other suggestions??

Thanks,

Laura

I'd be happy to give you mine. Contact me at katbasil@charter.net

Carole

100-day medallions have become a thing of the past, so if you want to get it replaced you should act quickly.

First thing to do is contact the Mariner Society in Seattle and let them know your predicament. If there are any left I'll bet a round of drinks that they will be willing to replace your grandmother's.

Please let us know how this turns out. Best of luck.

Ruth, has there been a change in the program? Last I heard (Oct) they planned on continuing the medallion program in addition to the star mariner program. Just wondered if you had some new information.

I'm not Ruth - obviously - but I believe the medal program was scheduled to continue only until on hand supply ran out for 100 day cruisers, because the new benefits continue to reward up to 200 days. I think ongoing medals are being awarded at the silver (300 day) gold (500 day) and platinum (700 day) level.

I could easily be wrong :) about either the program, or Ruth's remarks.

Ruth, has there been a change in the program? Last I heard (Oct) they planned on continuing the medallion program in addition to the star mariner program. Just wondered if you had some new information.
The way I read it, they were going to continue the Silver, Gold, and Platinum levels, but drop the Copper.

Edit: read what Sarah at HAL_PR said on Sep 17th:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=21277861&highlight=#post21277861

About 20 posts after hers, you posted:

We all know that HAL reads these boards. Now we have proof. Wonderful, caring and responsive proof.

Many thanks to Sarah from HAL for letting us know of the decision to keep the higher number medallions. HAL cruisers now have the best of both worlds.

Let me share some information from the horse's mouth, so to speak. I wrote to HAL a few months ago, and one of the items in my letter was regret that my family wouldn't be getting our 100-day medallions even though we were going to be one short cruise away. Here is, verbatim, the text from the appropriate paragraph in the reply from Stein Kruse's office (dated Nov 4, 2009):

"We are also pleased to inform you that our 100-day medallions will not be discontinued; they have been reinstated based on feedback from our valued Mariners. Please let me know prior to sailing on the cruise where you will be awarded the 100-day medallion, and I will ensure that onboard staff has your medallions available."

So calling Seattle is the right approach, and I won't bet against Ruth that they will certainly provide another one to your distraught 90 year-old grandmother.

On our recent Maasadm cruise, we reached 100 days. Although we did not get copper metals on the ship, I emailed the Mariner Society in Seattle upon our return and they mailed out two copper metals and pins the very same day. It was a great Christmas present. So I am sure, if they have them, they'll send you one. Let us know.

Barbara

The way I read it, they were going to continue the Silver, Gold, and Platinum levels, but drop the Copper.

Edit: read what Sarah at HAL_PR said on Sep 17th:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=21277861&highlight=#post21277861

Let me share some information from the horse's mouth, so to speak. :

"We are also pleased to inform you that our 100-day medallions will not be discontinued; they have been reinstated based on feedback from our valued Mariners. Please let me know prior to sailing on the cruise where you will be awarded the 100-day medallion, and I will ensure that onboard staff has your medallions available."

HAL PR says they will not be awarding the 100 day medallions any longer. HAL CEO says they will.

Gotta love a bureaucracy. :rolleyes:

Ruth, all I can point out is that PR said that on Sep 17 but I got my letter dated Nov 4. And my letter specifically called out "feedback from our valued Mariners". Perhaps our outcry here had an effect!

And yet a 100 day Mariner did not get a copper medallion.

My guess (and a guess is all it is) is that Stein is incorrect on this one. In any bureaucracy the middle managers are much more likely to have a handle on the details than the top managers.

Ruth, all I can point out is that PR said that on Sep 17 but I got my letter dated Nov 4. And my letter specifically called out "feedback from our valued Mariners". Perhaps our outcry here had an effect!

Time will tell, Iceman!;) Last I heard onboard, the 100-day/Copper hardware was going to be discontinued but that can always change

I was told Medallions are going to have a short life. They are keeping them long enough for those who were close to the next level to get them but I don't think there are plans for them to remain long term. This from the proverbial 'very good source'.

It's all about Stars now.

I was told Medallions are going to have a short life. They are keeping them long enough for those who were close to the next level to get them but I don't think there are plans for them to remain long term. This from the proverbial 'very good source'.

It's all about Stars now.

Sail, were you told that before, or after, the announcement that the upper level medallions would be reinstated?

And, if it was after, could it be possible your source merely hadn't caught up with the change in plans?

Archived