Looks like the welcome aboad champagne will be offered

martinchem

Then John was wrong. The Jewel offered it in mid-December.

I might has misheard him as we had this conversation in the disco with the music going so maybe what I heard was the discontinuation of Monte Carlo night being in November and the discontinuation of the champagne being on January 1st. :o Either way, both of them are no longer on the Jewel / fleet-wide.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1960484520071219

I can see it from my window :)

This looks to be a bit of Canadian-centric revisionist history. Animal House co-writer Chris Miller has said he drew much of his inspiration from his days as an undergraduate at Dartmouth.

Many colleges had "animal house" fraternities in those days. I belonged to one.

I say again, who are these masses that have spoken. As I said before I cruise on NCL four or five times each year and NOT ONCE has anyone from NCL ever asked us what we think is important and certainly nothing about this matter. This like everyting else from chocolates at bedtime, to the recent Lattitude Member Changes, to the Mystery Dinner Fee, and even the slipping dining room meals) I believe are all just a small matters by themselves. Taken each by themselves they wouldn't bother some customers but put tem all together and it does become something that matters and I think it shows an major change in who/what NCL will be.

Its my money and if I like what I get for it I say thank you and if I don't I express my concern so NCL can consider if it worth the change.

I say again, who are these masses that have spoken. As I said before I cruise on NCL four or five times each year and NOT ONCE has anyone from NCL ever asked us what we think is important and certainly nothing about this matter. This like everyting else from chocolates at bedtime, to the recent Lattitude Member Changes, to the Mystery Dinner Fee, and even the slipping dining room meals) I believe are all just a small matters by themselves. Taken each by themselves they wouldn't bother some customers but put tem all together and it does become something that matters and I think it shows an major change in who/what NCL will be.

Its my money and if I like what I get for it I say thank you and if I don't I express my concern so NCL can consider if it worth the change.

I'm just quoting you because yours is the most recent post that has this idea - my reply is not just directed at you. (or really 'at' anyone... it's about the idea :))

So... what I have seen repeated is the idea that NCL is deciding 'what it wants to be' or 'what kind of cruise line it wants to be'. Well... how about a profitable one? I've said repeatedly that I don't care about any of these things, and apparently those who WERE asked don't either - and I actually have been sent surveys twice in our last four cruises, so I'm one of the people that probably said the champagne was unimportant. That being said, I DO understand that people are going to miss these things. For that I am sorry, because I know that when I look forward to something and it's taken away it's a disappointment. I think the important thing to remember, though, is that NCL is still providing the thing we're actually buying - the cruise. If these minor changes are enough to make NCL's product unappealing, the best way to respond is to take your vacation dollar elsewhere.

In my opinion, the big question to ask has nothing to do with NCL at all, but with us as consumers. We need to ask ourselves if the NCL product is still the one we want, even without these little perks. If the answer is 'yes', then great; if it's 'no', then I hope you enjoy whichever other line you next choose. :) For me - of course - it's still exactly the same product it was last month; none of the changes affect me. If that glass of champagne is the deciding factor for someone, though, no amount of speculation or venting is going to change the fact that they're no longer going to find it on NCL.

If there's sparkling wine, thats fine, if not, I'm sure we'll deal with it. The point is if they are going to continue to show perks on there site that have been discontinued almost a month ago, that's deceitful. Their selling a product they have no intent to honor.

CanadianTwosome

Blue Ribbon Cruiser

First, thanks for addressing the topic and not turning this into something its not.

I happen to agree with what you are saying. I like cruising and I spend a significant amount of money each year doing so and I bring alot of friends and family with me. For that I have developed an expectation.

Clearly, I became a regular NCL customer because I liked its product and I liked what being a repeat customer brought with it. Now I think the product is changing and I am starting to show some resistance and indeed I am trying to keep what I always enjoyed by reaching out and communicating and yes pushing back. Which as you point out means I am making decisions how and with whom I will spend my future Cruise dollars. I decided rather then just walking away as an NCL customer and taking my business someplace else that I would get rid of some of my frustration and use these forums and to contact NCL and share my concerns and see if it made a difference. I certainly hope that either NCL changes or I do because I want to be a happy customer with NCL.

Again, you are correct that if I express my concerns and for whatever reason from Cruise line profit, changing direction by manangement, to just unrealistic expectations by me as the customer I must find a balance between the dollars I spend and the experience I get with NCL or I will move on. That for me has already started because I have used these pages and made direct contact with NCL to express my concerns and now instead of just looking at NCl for my June/July Cruise I am looking and pricing other cruise lines.

I am greatful for the meaningful exchange.

Whats more important to the bottom line...

getting new cruisers or getting people to sail again on NCL?

first NCL is profitable. It is making money. Whether it is making enough is something else.

NCL knows how much it cost to get someone to cruise on it for the first time. They spend as I jokingly said before gazillion of dollars in advertising to get a new cruiser on their ships.

It behooves most business to keep their current clients happy. The incremental cost of doing that has been peanuts compared to getting some one for the first time.

As I have said over and over(probably ad neseum to some), its not one thing that set me off on this. Its not just the champagne, the removal of the coffee makers, the removal of the free espresso and cappuccino, but the combination of all the things removed that makes me upset about the change in the product. As I said what made NCL special was all the above and freestyle and home-porting among other things. Its just not that special anymore . I don't disagree with the fact that it doesn't bother you, an opinion that you are entitled to, but as I said all the above and the removal of the latitudes benefits for whatever the reason is penny wise and dollar foolish, IMO.

Those of us who have been traveling with NCL for more than 5 years through thick and thin see the differences. As I said I am trying other lines. I have the luxury of being able to drive to six good ports(3 in NY Harbor-Manahattn Brooklyn and Bayonne, Baltimore, Boston and Phily) with no problem at all. There are a lot of different lines out there. I haven't tried Carnival or HAL yet and given what the benefits of lattitudes are there is no real incentive for me not to try the other lines. The South American cruise I am taking next month is a good example. When I booked it, the cost for NCL and Celebrity were roughly the same(they aren't now the Celebrity cruise is twice what I paid for it and is sold out. I am pretty sure the NCL one is sold out too). If I had NCL Compass rewards it probably would have been difficult for me to justify going on Celebrity but without them, I looked at the cost and itinerary and decided that while I love NCL's product I would go back to X.

If there's sparkling wine, thats fine, if not, I'm sure we'll deal with it. The point is if they are going to continue to show perks on there site that have been discontinued almost a month ago, that's deceitful. Their selling a product they have no intent to honor.

Can you provide a link to an NCL Web site page that stll says they offer the welcome aboard bubbly? I can't find any mention of it on their site, but I may have overlooked it.

As I have said over and over(probably ad neseum to some), its not one thing that set me off on this. Its not just the champagne, the removal of the coffee makers, the removal of the free espresso and cappuccino, but the combination of all the things removed that makes me upset about the change in the product. As I said what made NCL special was all the above and freestyle and home-porting among other things. Its just not that special anymore . I don't disagree with the fact that it doesn't bother you, an opinion that you are entitled to, but as I said all the above and the removal of the latitudes benefits for whatever the reason is penny wise and dollar foolish, IMO.

Those of us who have been traveling with NCL for more than 5 years through thick and thin see the differences. As I said I am trying other lines.

From Cheerleader to enlightenment!

Ooo, here's a good one. Can anyone say "class action lawsuit". Just kidding!!!!:eek:

I am glad you are kidding since nothing would ever be further from my mind. Just voicing my discontent that things I was shown to be going to make up a part of my cruise experience are no longer going to be happening.

It would never go further than that with me, not a very English thing to do.

Whats more important to the bottom line...

getting new cruisers or getting people to sail again on NCL?

first NCL is profitable. It is making money. Whether it is making enough is something else.

NCL knows how much it cost to get someone to cruise on it for the first time. They spend as I jokingly said before gazillion of dollars in advertising to get a new cruiser on their ships.

It behooves most business to keep their current clients happy. The incremental cost of doing that has been peanuts compared to getting some one for the first time.

Those of us who have been traveling with NCL for more than 5 years through thick and thin see the differences. As I said I am trying other lines. I have the luxury of being able to drive to six good ports(3 in NY Harbor-Manahattn Brooklyn and Bayonne, Baltimore, Boston and Phily) with no problem at all. There are a lot of different lines out there. I haven't tried Carnival or HAL yet and given what the benefits of lattitudes are there is no real incentive for me not to try the other lines. The South American cruise I am taking next month is a good example. When I booked it, the cost for NCL and Celebrity were roughly the same(they aren't now the Celebrity cruise is twice what I paid for it and is sold out. I am pretty sure the NCL one is sold out too). If I had NCL Compass rewards it probably would have been difficult for me to justify going on Celebrity but without them, I looked at the cost and itinerary and decided that while I love NCL's product I would go back to X.

Another great post from SMeyer on this topic. Puts a lot of my thoughts very well even though all cruises from US ports require a flight for me.

Can you provide a link to an NCL Web site page that stll says they offer the welcome aboard bubbly? I can't find any mention of it on their site, but I may have overlooked it.

Hit "Already booked" it has a link "Boarding the ship in a breeze". Says "you'll be sipping bubbly before you know it", click on it to see a video telling you what to expect on embarkment, note "the last thing you got to do is get your bubbly and start your freestyle vacation" (shows receiving a glass of champagne walking onto the ship). This is now deleted from the video, the video now jumps from getting your room card key direct to onboard, omiting the champange welcome going onto the ship!

This is now deleted from the video, the video now jumps from getting your room card key direct to onboard, omiting the champange welcome going onto the ship!

So what you're saying is that your proof that it's still on the website can be seen by the fact that it's no longer on the website?????

I'm sure hundreds of other people saw it too. I guess what I'm saying now is..."There will be no welcome aboard bubbly!" Well we'll see if any of the new year changes affect our trip or upcoming bookings, I'm sure we'll adjust to their changes like everyone else, at least Norwegian's betting we do.

What I think is interesting is these so called removed perks aren't really available on any cruise line. The special small touches are being removed on most of the cruise lines. Personally these small removals don't bother me - I don't like champagne, nor do I drink coffee. The perk of free cappucchino (sp) or a coffee maker in my cabin don't benefit me. The little small chocolates I never really cared for. Carnival also mentioned their surveys showed customers didn't really like the chocolates either and they started to do away with them. Usually I left mine untouched or would tell the cabin steward to not waste them. My most favorite thing to find left in my cabin has always been the different towel animals. Carnival also got rid of many other little things - some a little more special than others - most important in my book was the past guest ship pin that used to be given out and they no longer do (but apparently you can still buy one if you want).

Personally I think some things should be still available if the passenger wants them, however not all little extras are viewed as a plus to every cruise passenger. Perhaps they should begin looking into little pluses that everyone would benefit from and not just some.

Things I look for in a cruise are a good price, cabin kept clean, good food with different choices, decent shows, comedians, etc., mixed drinks that are made well, friendly staff and good service and always a plus any cruise selling Mtn Dew!!! Are chocolates, coffee, towel animals, ship pins, etc going to make or break my cruise or decide who I book with? Absolutely not.

Hit "Already booked" it has a link "Boarding the ship in a breeze". Says "you'll be sipping bubbly before you know it", click on it to see a video telling you what to expect on embarkment, note "the last thing you got to do is get your bubbly and start your freestyle vacation" (shows receiving a glass of champagne walking onto the ship). This is now deleted from the video, the video now jumps from getting your room card key direct to onboard, omiting the champange welcome going onto the ship!

Thanks for proving my point. They no longer show someone being handed a glass of bubbly upon boarding, so they are not advertising it!

You asked for the link to the original site, which I supplied to you, now if you want to chew me up because NCL edited, then you need a life. What was on a site two days ago never indicates it's "still" there today.

LOL, they may have set a record for updating the site. Maybe someone was reading these boards...now if they will finally update the info on the port Of NY.

http://www.ncl.com/csimages/495/532/newYork_port_2.5.pdf

a hint its not 25 miles to LGA its 9.

a cab to from LGA cost about 30. to and from JFK is about $45 plus toll and tip.

and if you find a cab from EWR for $25 I'll eat my hat. Its about $60 coming from EWR and about $80 going.

Its not easy to even do public transportation from EWR for $25 pp.

but that is for another thread not here.

Archived