Cost Cutting on the Pride of America

Kapuna

We were on the January 2 - 9 , 2010 cruise of the POA ; this was our third cruise on that ship and we noticed that several features had been eliminated since our previous cruises .

For example , the in-cabin coffee makers have been removed from the cabins . A cabin steward on deck 7 told us that the coffee makers were removed just before our cruise from all cabins on that deck except for a few suites . We also noticed that pillow chocolates were no longer left when the beds were made up for the night .

Perhaps the most disturbing issue arose during tendering in Kona . At mid-morning there was a general announcement that tendering would be cancelled due to safety concerns resulting from sea conditions . However , passengers booked on NCL shore excursions were quietly told to go to an assembly point and were then taken to the gangplanck and tendered ashore . Passengers who had made their own shore arrangements ( car rentals , independent tours , private outings , etc. ) were not taken ashore . It seems that the potential revenue loss from NCL's shore excursions overshadowded the safety concerns .

All passengers were offered a glass of Champagne at dinner as a compensation .

Perhaps the most disturbing issue arose during tendering in Kona . At mid-morning there was a general announcement that tendering would be cancelled due to safety concerns resulting from sea conditions . However , passengers booked on NCL shore excursions were quietly told to go to an assembly point and were then taken to the gangplanck and tendered ashore . Passengers who had made their own shore arrangements ( car rentals , independent tours , private outings , etc. ) were not taken ashore . It seems that the potential revenue loss from NCL's shore excursions overshadowded the safety concerns .

OUCH!!! Bad break for folks who had pre-oaid or given a deposit for private excursions!!!! That would STINK!!!

Why does this not surprise me? Has NCL found a way to plug up another revenue leak? After booze sales, shore excursions are the next highest resource.

Note to self: Do not prepay car rental in Kona in July.

Hopefully, this is just a one-time thing. I don't think they could get away with holding passengers hostage to buying their tours for long.

Tucker in Texas

Yes , I believe this was a one time thing . There were sea swells which made tendering more difficult , but I still think all passengers should have been treated the same instead of sneaking some of them ashore after announcing otherwise on the public address system .

• 1 month later...

I am totally going off topic, but had a question for KAPUNA. I noticed a post of yours mentioning you stayed in cabin 8708. I just booked that cabin for my wedding/honeymoon in August and have had trouble getting any photos of the layout, etc. Any chance you have any photos you can email me? Id REALLY appreciate it! My email is hdog76@aol.com Thanks in advance!!!!

At mid-morning there was a general announcement that tendering would be cancelled due to safety concerns resulting from sea conditions ..

You state, mid-morning?? Does this mean earlier tender boats were available?? Port time is 7a-6p. I'm always off the ship early.

We were on the January 2 - 9 , 2010 cruise of the POA ; this was our third cruise on that ship and we noticed that several features had been eliminated since our previous cruises .

For example , the in-cabin coffee makers have been removed from the cabins . A cabin steward on deck 7 told us that the coffee makers were removed just before our cruise from all cabins on that deck except for a few suites . We also noticed that pillow chocolates were no longer left when the beds were made up for the night .

How many postings do we have to witness on the missing choc and coffee makers??? Get over it. As for the situation with the tendering, I would have to have more information than what you are giving. I think there is more to the story than you are telling or you know..One thing I have witnessed in my 30 years of cruising, all lines put the safety of the passengers first and I mean ALL lines.

We have been on ships where they allow a certain number of passengers to tender, than decide not to do anymore because of weather conditions..It happened to us on HAL and RCI. They took a group to the gangplank, (those with early tender tickets) then within a very short time cancelled all the rest of the tenders..

Nita

Nita, that may be the case. When looking at some reviews of a shore excursion I was thinking about doing in Kona, two of the reviewers mentioned to be careful because in the afternoon waves get higher. So, maybe that's what happened?:confused: Just to be sure though, we are booking through NCL for our excursion in Kona.;)

Hey Adele!

That pic you have that comes up with your name...the one with the rear of the ship....which ship is that?..and can you send me the file of that pic?...I've reserved an aft cabin on POA and want to see what kind of railings are on the aft balconies....slats, or a closed off bottom....

please email me the pic if you can michiganflame@yahoo.com

Thanks Adele!

gg

:eek: Too much coffee too early, Nita?? You forget that some people don't check these boards every single day/hour like some of us do. Give the guy a break!

And the OP posted this Jan 15 after returning and was perhaps one the first to know coffee makers were gone before anything was even posted here.

Hey Adele!

That pic you have that comes up with your name...the one with the rear of the ship....which ship is that?..and can you send me the file of that pic?...I've reserved an aft cabin on POA and want to see what kind of railings are on the aft balconies....slats, or a closed off bottom....

please email me the pic if you can michiganflame@yahoo.com

Thanks Adele!

gg

It's the POA flying the Stars and Stripes. Email is on the way. :D

:eek: Too much coffee too early, Nita?? You forget that some people don't check these boards every single day/hour like some of us do. Give the guy a break!

ok, you win but this subject has been discussed for the past 2 months on numorous boards. If it was only once of twice I would have kept my big mouth shut, it is just getting so tiring, over and over....

Nita

ps I will try to be good, I promise...LOL

And the OP posted this Jan 15 after returning and was perhaps one the first to know coffee makers were gone before anything was even posted here.

and you are right as well. I didn't notice that because someone dug up the thread to ask a question..To the OP, I am sorry..

Nita

How many postings do we have to witness on the missing choc and coffee makers??? Get over it.

Nita

I guess this many times--bc frankly I didn't know...and I guess it's been discussed far too many times for you, but I am glad this thread was resurrected, bc I didn't know this.

I guess this many times--bc frankly I didn't know...and I guess it's been discussed far too many times for you, but I am glad this thread was resurrected, bc I didn't know this.
That's perfectly understandable. It seems that the majority of POA cruisers come from different cruise lines and aren't very active on the NCL board.

How many postings do we have to witness on the missing choc and coffee makers??? Get over it. As for the situation with the tendering, I would have to have more information than what you are giving. I think there is more to the story than you are telling or you know..One thing I have witnessed in my 30 years of cruising, all lines put the safety of the passengers first and I mean ALL lines.

We have been on ships where they allow a certain number of passengers to tender, than decide not to do anymore because of weather conditions..It happened to us on HAL and RCI. They took a group to the gangplank, (those with early tender tickets) then within a very short time cancelled all the rest of the tenders..

Nita

Nita, you are absolutely correct about the tenders. I recall something similar happening on my Carnival cruise, the sea conditions got worst beyond what was considered safe fast. While I might agree with the OP as saying this isn't fair, who said life is fair?

ok, you win but this subject has been discussed for the past 2 months on numorous boards. If it was only once of twice I would have kept my big mouth shut, it is just getting so tiring, over and over....

Nita

ps I will try to be good, I promise...LOL

That's nothing. The Florida board averages two threads per day asking how to get from FLL to Port of Miami and from MIA to Port Everglades.

Archived