Rum Runners?? do they work on RCL

About to embark on my 1st cruise and was going to do the remove the cap on the water bottle trick, but then I saw a few videos like this

So I ordered this rum runner kit (hope it's enough, it's 5 days and my gf and I can drink)

http://www.amazon.com/Rum-Runner-Wine-Smuggler/dp/B003IZEBMW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1321995660&sr=8-6

Any tips other than the filling only 75-85% full, bleeding the air and shoving in shoes or wrapping in towels in our carry ons?

Any tips other than the filling only 75-85% full, bleeding the air and shoving in shoes or wrapping in towels in our carry ons?

Make sure that if they are in your checked luggage that they are not with anything else that might be checked. For instance, I always bring cans of tomato juice and soda which they have always checked and passed through. However, if the rum runners are with these items in the same bag, chances are that they will be discovered when checking on the sodas. I even had a friend who lost hers because they were in the same piece of baggage with her snorkeling vest. They opened it due to the CO2 inflation cylinder and discovered the rum runners.

I just got back from a 6 day on Serenade, the rum runners were no problem. Between 3 families we had 2 of the cruise packs, so 6 of the 32 ounce and 6 of the 8 ounce. Each person took no more than 2 in a bag, I put mine in DH's shoe and the smaller one in my toiletries bag, both were down near the wheels.

All of this talk has made me thirsty!!

For the ones complaing of using rum runners, my family (6) took a cruise three years ago and took a few RR for our rooms prior to dinner. At the end of the week our bar bill was still $3000... did we rob the cruise line of their bottom line? are we still cheap because we had our own drinks in the room at night??

Bringing these definitely did not detract from my bar bill, I only used them in my room and going back to my room to get a drink was not something I wanted to do. I'd say I had the alcoholic equivalent of 8 drinks in my room, my bar bill was no less than any other cruise when I did not have RR's.

Make sure that if they are in your checked luggage that they are not with anything else that might be checked. For instance, I always bring cans of tomato juice and soda which they have always checked and passed through. However, if the rum runners are with these items in the same bag, chances are that they will be discovered when checking on the sodas. I even had a friend who lost hers because they were in the same piece of baggage with her snorkeling vest. They opened it due to the CO2 inflation cylinder and discovered the rum runners.

This will be our first cruise on RCI. We will go without our 4oz of wine each evening, but can we bring water bottles and soda cans in our checked luggage? If we can't, how about a few empty water bottles - fill them at the sink (it is RO water)?

Thanks,

I really can't believe the judgemental people here ... I have never tried it but am super tempted and the thing that probably will stop me ... is getting caught and sent to the "naughty room." I think all cruise lines should let you carry something on ... I will still spend a small fortune on excursions, gambling, bingo, shopping on board, photos ... oh yes ... SOFTDRINKS too! They charge you for everything ... if I got lucky to bring a RR or two on board with something tasty in it ... I surely will still spend a SMALL fortune on drinks ... at the pool, at dinner, at a show ... and I don't really drink that much ... but do like to enjoy it and myself on vacation ... it would be nice to have the RR for my balcony ... the drinks are expensive ... I will still buy them either way ... and If you think anyone here is not moral or ruining it for you ... there are other forums in support of your views too!

I have to say I am actually intrigued now after reading and might really try this on FOS on Spring Break though ... hope that won't kill it ... do you put them in a zip lock in case they were to break (and get all over something) ... and does that ruin your chances of getting it on? Oh ... again to the nay sayers ... I will still spend enough not to ruin it for you ... since I know you are worried!

The smuggling of booze is best summed up by the fact that the people who do smuggle are just TOO DAMN CHEAP!You can justify it all you want but that is the bottom line!

This theory is just crap. I would gladly pay for the alcohol that I like to drink if the cruise lines would just carry it. I would also pay the cruise line a corkage fee per bottle or even bring my receipt and pay the cruise line the full amount that I already paid the liquor store. Thus, would be in fact paying double for the same liquor. I buy drinks when on board cruise ships but it's not the same as drinking what I like when going to dinner at a restaurant at home. While some people may smuggle because they are cheap, I have just disproved your theory and resent your categorizing everyone by your skewed ideas.

I have to say I am actually intrigued now after reading and might really try this on FOS on Spring Break though ... hope that won't kill it ... do you put them in a zip lock in case they were to break (and get all over something) ... and does that ruin your chances of getting it on? Oh ... again to the nay sayers ... I will still spend enough not to ruin it for you ... since I know you are worried!

Some do put the RRs in zip lock bags in case they leak, but I do not. Fill them to about 80% capacity and they will be fine as long as no pointed sharp objects are near them in the checked bag. Whether you use the zip lock bags or not has nothing to do with getting them on in your checked luggage. The advantage of the RRs is that they don't have a clearly visible outline like a bottle making it harder to see on the scanner screen. I have used these on every cruise since switching from putting the bottle in my luggage. I have never had the opportunity to visit the naughty room. If I had to go there to get my luggage, it would not bother me in the least as I am way ahead of them in successes.

• 2 years later...
This is the first report I have seen with someone being caught while using a rumrunner. Can you tell us what size, how it was packed, what was in it, did they return it at the end, how did they miss the second one. Did you have other prohibited or suspicious items in the bag, such as an iron? Details please. Inquiring minds want to know!!:confused:

We were caught with the big bag of vodka. My husband put it on top in his suit case he did not try to hid it. They did not take the small ones that were hidden in the pockets. This was on Carnival in May 2013

This will be our first cruise on RCI. We will go without our 4oz of wine each evening, but can we bring water bottles and soda cans in our checked luggage? If we can't, how about a few empty water bottles - fill them at the sink (it is RO water)?

Thanks,

RCCL sells wine so no need to go without BUT they also allow you to bring 2 standard bottles of wine per stateroom.

Yes - you can usually bring a reasonable amount of water and soda. Some embarkation ports ( Port Canaveral) ask that you carry it on, and not keep it in the luggage.

enjoy

M

Edit - did not realize this was such an old thread

Edited by cruisegirl1