Rum Runners?? do they work on RCL

First time to use rum runners and put them in my checked bag. Laid them out in a single line in the bottom of my luggage. No problem. However, I was sure to pack ANY cans of hairspray, etc. in another bag so that would not give them a reason to look. I still bought drinks onboard and this way I enjoyed a little drink before dinner. Would not have bought a drink to take to my room before dinner anyway, so no loss there.

If they offered what I drink most (Parrot Bay Coconut Rum), I probably wouldn't bring anything on. But all they offer is that Cruzan crap.

Is the ill-will caused by restricting carrying on liquor worth the measly little extra they might make? I could understand them not wanting you to bring a whole bar with you, but why not allow a certain amount?

[quote name='gsb']What's the advantage of Rum Runners over a 16 or 20 oz. plastic water bottle?[/quote]

The difference is the shape. Water bottles have a distinct shape which will show up on the scanner when scanning the bags. The RR are basically flat, rectangular and thin in width giving a faint picture. That makes it harder to see on the scanner but not impossible. They have a very limited time to scan each piece of luggage (think seconds here) and are looking for obvious shapes such as bottles. A glass bottle and plastic bottle will show the same on the scan which is what they are looking for. Use the RR to make it harder to detect.

I don't smuggle, and I am not going take the time to search to find out if these devices have been mentioned before, but they looks like much more fun that rum runners [especially the one for wine].

[url]http://www.thebeerbelly.com/[/url] Edited by mjldvlks

[quote name='mjldvlks']I don't smuggle, and I am not going take the time to search to find out if these devices have been mentioned before, but they looks like much more fun that rum runners [especially the one for wine].

[URL]http://www.thebeerbelly.com/[/URL][/quote]

I do smuggle, so I appreciate getting the answer.

[quote name='crowleychick']
Is the ill-will caused by restricting carrying on liquor worth the measly little extra they might make? I could understand them not wanting you to bring a whole bar with you, but why not allow a certain amount?[/quote]

Back in the good old days you could go to the onboard liquor shop, buy a bottle and take it back to your room and drink all you wanted.

Then some bean counter decided that they were losing too much revenue at the bar to the liquor shop so they decided to add an onboard consumption fee if you wanted to take the bottle back to your room. I think it was like $10 a bottle.

Then they decided they were still not making enough revenue at the bar so they came up with the current system where you now get your liquor on the last day and basically forced you to pay their inflated price or bring your own.

So the answer to your question is YES Edited by MrChuckFL

• 1 year later...
Hi,

We are going on RC cruise(Voyager of the seas) in a month, and I am highly considering of using some of those rum runners. Would it be smart to put it inside the toiletry bag with the rest of the things or is it better as some argued, to put it quite close to the wheels of the suitcase.
In the worst case scenario, they will only take it and won't return it at all but never more than that, right?

Many thanks in advance

I'm glad to here of all the success that has been had with these. I just got off the phone with RCI customer service and was told that indeed I would not be allowed to board with Pedialite for my 1yo son and that the only liquid I would be allowed would be formula. So, I guess if they are going to force me to smuggle something that they don't carry and has been ordered by my son's pediatrician I might as well smuggle something for myself as well.

[quote name='Woodmnky']I'm glad to here of all the success that has been had with these. I just got off the phone with RCI customer service and was told that indeed I would not be allowed to board with Pedialite for my 1yo son and that the only liquid I would be allowed would be formula. So, I guess if they are going to force me to smuggle something that they don't carry and has been ordered by my son's pediatrician I might as well smuggle something for myself as well.[/quote]
Of course you can bring Pedialyte. Just bring a sealed, new bottle. Put it in your carryon so you can show them what it is when they see it on the xray machine.

FEED MAN and friends....
Thank you. I now see the light. I am turning over a new leaf. I didn't realize that breaking a rule (not stealing because the liquor is bought and payed for) but breaking that rule is also breaking a contract and so morally and ethically wrong. . I was a bad bad girl and shouldn't have gone on those cruises if I couldn't afford the alcohol.

If you wouldn't have posted, I wouldn't have realized the err in my ways.
Many thanks for showing me the light and pathway to complete honesty. I can cruise in peace now.

[QUOTE]Also does anyone ever worry about the room attendant confiscating them?[/QUOTE]

Nope. Not if they want to be tipped. Besides, being discreet about it and having out of sight is good. We leave valuables all over the place but the booze always goes in the safe. ;) Edited by Sequim88

[quote name='Woodmnky']I'm glad to here of all the success that has been had with these. I just got off the phone with RCI customer service and was told that indeed I would not be allowed to board with Pedialite for my 1yo son and that the only liquid I would be allowed would be formula. So, I guess if they are going to force me to smuggle something that they don't carry and has been ordered by my son's pediatrician I might as well smuggle something for myself as well.[/quote]

Although I've never needed to contact them, I have heard other posters here refer to RC's "special needs" dept. Did you try contacting them, or did you just speak with someone at the reservations desk? This sounds like it falls under the heading of a medical issue, rather than merely convenience. You might want to bring a note from your sons pediatrician, as well. Good luck.

[quote name='jessicalorene']How do you keep the alcohol inside the rum runners cold? Or do you just bring stuff you wouldn't keep in the fridge normally.

Also does anyone ever worry about the room attendant confiscating them?[/QUOTE]

Why would you want to keep hard liquor cold?

Anyway, while I wouldn't worry about the room steward confiscating anything, there are supervisors who do periodically check up on the room steward as well as employees who check the minibars to see if anything has been consumed and they do look for such things so I'd keep them under wraps.

[quote name='AtlantaAlly']I wish I had known about these rumrunners 3 years ago on a spring break cruise, out of the group of 10 of us we employed the following methods... all of which worked.... none of which I would recommend!

1- Taping bottles under pant legs (A guy did this and ripped off a lot of leg hair for that 12 oz of cheap vodka)
2- Stuffing airplane bottles in bras (each girl had 6)
3- taping a bag of wine (from the box) to stomach and pretending to be pregnant:eek:
4- bringing on a case of water in which 8 of the bottles in the middle were rum
5- shampoo bottles
6- mouth wash bottles
7- taping the bottles under bulky shirts and sweatshirts
8- boxes of wine in bags

We were poor college students that paid for the cruise by selling plasma, we couldn't afford alcohol on the ship... with that said, my bar tab was still over $100 and I had to smuggle some of the alcohol off- talk about embarassing.

I think I'll try these rumrunners next :) All in moderation[/quote]

This one tickled my funny bone! Whatever works, I guess. LOL:D

[quote name='cruisebunnies']The smuggling of booze is best summed up by the fact that the people who do smuggle are just TOO DAMN CHEAP!You can justify it all you want but that is the bottom line![/quote]

So someone with the following quote considers smuggling cheap? How's that glass house you live in, hmmm???

[SIZE=3][COLOR=red][I]"I,m with you.I have not bought sandals,sunglasses,beach towels or books since I started cruising there are so many left laying around ,free for the taking..I,m on a cruise this fall ,you,ve been warned!"[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='islandgals']:confused:;)Hi All,
I am wondering if anyone has experience with RumRunners on RCL? They work so well on Carnival we are worried...:eek:[/quote]

We have always just put the booze in our shoe luggage and then checked it and have always ended up fine. Our friends in the room next door though did the same on the same cruise and lost a good bottle of scotch. Then on the next cruise they went on lost a bottle of wine but their other liquor made it through. I went ahead and ordered the rumrunners and we will try it and see what happens. ;)

100% personal success rate for rum runners - used the size that holds a fifth and a smaller one too. I packed them inside ugg-style soft slippers, separate from any toiletries or things with electrical cords.

Why would you want to keep hard liquor cold?

Anyway, while I wouldn't worry about the room steward confiscating anything, there are supervisors who do periodically check up on the room steward as well as employees who check the minibars to see if anything has been consumed and they do look for such things so I'd keep them under wraps.

I was thinking more along the lines of wine, which I like cold

I see - but you can get all the wine you want delivered to your stateroom, unlike hard liquor which you must buy by the drink. Not sure I'd bother trying to smuggle wine, but if you do, you'll have to chill it when you get to your stateroom.

Although I have always has success with the rum runners (be sure not to pack them with cans of soda or anything that would give security a reason for opening the kuggage), my friend always gets one of those boxes of wine and then removes the bladder with the wine in it and packs that. She has never has a problem (although I have to admit, it does look like some kind of catheter bag - lol)

Back in the good old days you could go to the onboard liquor shop, buy a bottle and take it back to your room and drink all you wanted.

Then some bean counter decided that they were losing too much revenue at the bar to the liquor shop so they decided to add an onboard consumption fee if you wanted to take the bottle back to your room. I think it was like $10 a bottle.

Then they decided they were still not making enough revenue at the bar so they came up with the current system where you now get your liquor on the last day and basically forced you to pay their inflated price or bring your own.

So the answer to your question is YES

I'll add that you used to be able to carry on liquor / beer or any other beverage onto the ship. It really didn't become an issue until about 5 years ago.