Athens-New Acropolis or National Archeological museum?

arkansasnanny

Need some input on which museum to see since we do not have time to visit both.I think the Nat'l Arch. museum is the largest so how much time to see it ? What about the New Acropolis? Is it smaller? Thanks Julie

Both are great museums with interesting collections. In 2006, we did the National Arch. Museum and spent about a 90 minutes there. Because of its location, however, it takes some added time to get there from the main Plaka/Acropolis area. They just opened the new Acropolis museum, but we saw its collection when it was on top of that famed hill. We saw the new building going up for the Acropolis collection and it is a larger, very nice structure. This new museum can probably be done in 45-90 minuters, depending on your interests. The National Arch. Museum will reflect a wider range of art and its evolution from early Greek to Roman items. The Acropolis is more narrowly focused in its collection. Below are visual samples on both museums.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

One sample from the very historic National Archaeological Museum in Athens:

NatArch.jpg

National Arch. Museum treasures from Greece’s great history:

NatMusTreasures.jpg

Parthenon Museum historic art and other items:

AcrpMuseum.jpg

If you can spare a couple of hours, I'd recommend the Nat'l Archeological Museum over the Acropolis Museum. As Terry says, the former covers all of ancient Greek history, from the early civilizations (Crete, Santorini) to the classical Greeks and the Hellenistic and Roman periods. It also includes some of the finds from ancient Troy.

If you can spare a couple of hours, I'd recommend the Nat'l Archeological Museum over the Acropolis Museum. As Terry says, the former covers all of ancient Greek history, from the early civilizations (Crete, Santorini) to the classical Greeks and the Hellenistic and Roman periods. It also includes some of the finds from ancient Troy.

I think that will probably be what we will do. Thanks so much for your input. julie

I think that will probably be what we will do. Thanks so much for your input. julie

Hi, Julie! Good smart choice. This museum really helps explain how Greek designs and its arts evolved, was "borrowed" by the Roman and became so famous, used and copied around the world as the "classical" look.

Here are a few more visual samples from that great museum.

Some more examples from the very historic National Archaeological Museum in Athens:

AthMusHorse.jpg

AthMusMarble.jpg

AthMusGold.jpg

AthMusScult.jpg

AthMusStatutes.jpg

AthWallSculp.jpg

As always, Terri, your photos are amazing! I love when you post!

THANKS for the kind comments! Let me know where else you are traveling to give me an excuse to post more . . . if I've been there. I'm in the process of getting some of my old color negative and slide stuff being digitized so that they can be posted, too. Digital works well for sharing. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

In June we leave for Venice, and then cruise to Athens, Ephesus, Istanbul and Mykonos, then on to Naples, Rome, Livorno, Monte Carlo and finally Barcelona.

I have seen a number of your posts, and it is definately getting us all excited for what we will see, and they help in the planning process.

Hope to return the favor when we get back!

In June we leave for Venice, and then cruise to Athens, Ephesus, Istanbul and Mykonos, then on to Naples, Rome, Livorno, Monte Carlo and finally Barcelona. I have seen a number of your posts, and it is definately getting us all excited for what we will see, and they help in the planning process. Hope to return the favor when we get back!

Enjoy your upcoming cruise. I've posted a number of pictures for Athens, Ephesus, Istanbul and Mykonos. Let me know if there are some areas of interest that you'd like to see posted. My pictures for Venice, Rome, Barcelona are being digitized now and should be available in late February.

Need some input on which museum to see since we do not have time to visit both.I think the Nat'l Arch. museum is the largest so how much time to see it ? What about the New Acropolis? Is it smaller? Thanks Julie

IMHO the Nat'l Arch Museum, the collection and amout of time their collection spans is immense. I wish when we visited we had more than the hour that we did. I would say 1/2 day easy, but doable in a couple hours.

I'm sure the New Acropolis is also a fine Museum but the collection focus is more limited. My personal interest was the actual architecture, but that is me.

Happy sightseeing

The National museum is amazing. In fact is is almost overkill!! There are 34 halls of statuary alone! In two hours you can't possibly do more than breeze through it and glance at things. It does have the magnificent gold from Mycenae that is stunning.

The Acropolis museum is a beautifully done new museum, but it is restricted in its depth. The top floor with the layout of the entire building and all the friezes is amazing. Really an hour is enough time to see it pretty well.

What I would suggest? Visit the Acropolis and on your descent visit the museum. Then if time permits go by the National museum and head right for the gold exhibit, and whatever else you can manage.

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/athens.html

and

http://www.bully4.us/blacksea3.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

The National museum is amazing. In fact is is almost overkill!! There are 34 halls of statuary alone! In two hours you can't possibly do more than breeze through it and glance at things. It does have the magnificent gold from Mycenae that is stunning. What I would suggest? Visit the Acropolis and on your descent visit the museum. Then if time permits go by the National museum and head right for the gold exhibit, and whatever else you can manage.

YES, the gold items are spectacular in this great museum. In addition to the one picture from that area I previously posted, here is another that shows two of the gold cups. Another picture shows that the women got covered up in that art from those periods. BUT, for the men, they couldn't afford much of a wardrobe budget for these art items.

AthMusGoldCups.jpg

AthMusMen.jpg

Enjoy your upcoming cruise. I've posted a number of pictures for Athens, Ephesus, Istanbul and Mykonos. Let me know if there are some areas of interest that you'd like to see posted. My pictures for Venice, Rome, Barcelona are being digitized now and should be available in late February.

Terry I am starting a thread on Mykonos would love it if you would answer and add photos. Love the pics as always, Karen

Terry I am starting a thread on Mykonos would love it if you would answer and add photos. Love the pics as always, Karen

THANKS, Karen! Happy to do that and be helpful. Lots of pictures from there. We had a nice Sunday there when the port was not too crowded with any big ships clogging the island. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

The National Archaelogical Museum is THE museum for all things Greek. As Terry's pictures show so beautifully, the Mycenean gold collection alone is worth the trip, not to mention the Akrotiri artifacts, Cycladic figures, bronze sculpture, lovely kouros.

The last time I was in Athens it was two months before the New Acropolis Museum opened. That Museum is definitely one good reason to visit Athens again.

We visited the Nat’l Arch. Museum and we were all amazed by the historical treasures and the priceless masterpieces from Ancient Greece. Everything was well displayed and in such an order that it was very easy for us to follow and appreciate. Apart from the classical and prehistoric Greek Art, there was also a room with a great Egyptian exhibition as well. Unfortunately, we spent only about 2 hours there (we had just one day in Athens.) I agree with chipmaster that in order to fully appreciate and enjoy the museum you need at least half a day there.

Terry, amazing pictures!!! Thanks for sharing.

You brought back beautiful memories…

We visited the Nat’l Arch. Museum and we were all amazed by the historical treasures and the priceless masterpieces from Ancient Greece.Everything was well displayed and in such an order that it was very easy for us to follow and appreciate.

If you think the Natl Arch Museum is well arranged and well displayed, you are going to be blown away by the Acropolis Museum! The rooms are so beautiful, the progression through the works of art so carefully arranged, and the third floor which is essentially a lifesize display of the freizes and metopes is stunning! Of many many museums around the world we have visited, I think this one is the most well designed and informative as well as interesting!

Archived