Tips for occupying 20 month old on plane

sydneysmom517

Just wondering if anyone has a tip or two they can suggest to keep DD from getting bored and wanting to run around the plane. I know this will be a hard task. I got her an Aqua Doodle and I'm hoping she'll take a little nap but the last time she flew (at 8 mos) she didn't. Now that she's walking I'm afraid that it will be a lot harder to keep her entertained. TIA!

Bring snacks,and lots of small toys she's never seen before.....how long is the flight? This is going to be so new to her (she won't remember the flight at 8 mos!) that the "newness" may keep her entertained for a bit!

Maybe the droning sound of the plane will lull her to sleep!

Just wondering if anyone has a tip or two they can suggest to keep DD from getting bored and wanting to run around the plane. I know this will be a hard task. I got her an Aqua Doodle and I'm hoping she'll take a little nap but the last time she flew (at 8 mos) she didn't. Now that she's walking I'm afraid that it will be a lot harder to keep her entertained. TIA!

A few videos? I know traveling can be a challenge between carrying the toddler, food, diapers, seat, and to add a computer or DVD player... I found toys were hit or miss, but a Disney or other favorite video could do the trick all the time.

Good luck

We have traveled on planes quite a few times. I have found that hand held DVD players are great. We buy the Nick Jr. videos, they have multiple shows on one DVD. You can buy lightweight ear phones with the big circles for speakers, if you want them. Snacks are good, especially ones with lots of pieces (m&ms and cheerios).

Unless you absolutely need the overhead space, try to get on last. No point in being confined any longer than necessary. If you have more than will fit below your seat, one parent board and get the stuff situated and one parent let her run around just a little bit longer. Just be sure you each have your own tickets!

Don't forget to bring empty sippy cups - fill them AFTER you go through security. Just be sure to have enough "stuff" for double the flight time b/c you never know what will happen. A new book or two to bring along may help as well.

Good Luck! Remember, those who get angry at your child fussing, probably don't have kids and shouldn't have them.:cool:

I don't know if you are planning on taking her car seat on the plane or not, but that might help. We did a 3 hour flight with my son at that age and took his car seat (along with things to entertain him) and he did really well. I think the familiarity of the car seat helped, and helped him fall asleep in the plane.

Buy her a seat and use the carseat. She will probably fall asleep. Somehow they know if they are in the carseat then they have to stay there. Unless she has a dirty diaper or it's an over 3 hour flight don't let her get up. Once you let them get up they won't want to sit again.

I also have the opposite view on the toys. I would bring a few familiar toys and books. I have found that when you bring too much they get overstimulated and then won't go to sleep. They expect to be entertained nonstop. Lollipops also help with the ears as well as sippy cups if she still uses one.

We have flown MANY times with our now 4 and 6 year old beginning when DD1 was 2 months and this is what works best with ours. We discountinued the carseats at 4 years old for both of them. At that point they knew to stay seated.

I have flown with an 8 month old and a 2 1/2 year old, 2 carseats, stroller, and diaper bag to LAX with a plane change in DFW by MYSELF and my brother wouldn't even pick me up at the airport so I had to rent the car too so nothing much scares me anymore.

I would also go with the little toys. My friend often flies cross country with her two dd's that are 2 and 4. She goes to the dollar store and stocks up on some cheap toys, then wraps them individually. The kids are allowed to unwrap one toy each half hour of the flight. It gives them something new to play with and something to look forward to as well. She said she only spends about $15 for both kids on toys. She also brings a DVD player and plenty of snacks.

I fly alone with my three kids between Europe and California about twice a year, plus plenty of other shorter flights. I was a Flight Attendant for 13 years.

I'll be blunt. This is a bad age. It's much easier at 8 months, before they more. My son at 20 months once slept all of 20 minutes on our 11 1/2 hour flight. I was pregnant so you can imagine how tired I was when we arrived! There were two saving graces; another mother with an active toddler behind us and a very empty flight. I've also flown this flight with the age, plus older and younger siblings.

I agree about the car seat. I really found it helpful to keep them settled and calm on the flight, and not only being safer than flying with them unsecured in your lap. The other plus is that alone, if they fell asleep, I could get up to use the restroom or get a drink without worrying about turbulence. I would tell a F/A or someone nearby where I was.

I would strap my stroller on to a metal luggage cart and simply not bring the stroller (either checking or borrowing at our destination). Strollers are easier to borrow than car seats. My toddler could ride in it when tired. I also chucked the traditional purse+diaper bag for a largish backpack to keep my hands free. I only had a tiny purse around my neck with the essentials (wallet, cell phone, tickets, passports). Do not bring anything you don't need for the actual flight. Yes, I know that the airlines are charging for bags but this is an expense I recommend you commit to until your child is older.

I also had a good baby carrier. She is far too old for a fiddly front pack (like a Bjorn) but I found that toddlers often get "clingy" in a big scary airport with all those people... They want to be held. You can hold her in your arms, while trying to move with all your stuff or you can pop her in a wrap, pouch or sling and have your hands free. You can also use a quality carrier like a Mei Tai, Ergo or Becco which do a nice back carry. It was really a sanity-saver. They're also good for calming over-tired babies during the flight, real magic! A good baby carrier is the secret to easy flying with a baby or toddler!

My children were too active to sit and watch videos as toddlers. The DVD player was great once they were older though! You know your own child though. Mine were not good "screen watchers". I wouldn't bring it unless she does really watch at home. She absolutely must watch it with the headphones so practice this before leaving and make sure she understands.

I also do the new presents when we fly. I don't dole them out on a schedule but wait for an opportune moment, like right as the plane is leaving the gate and everyone has to be seated. A new toy keeps them occupied and distracted long enough to get us in the air.

The toys that work best are usually simple; drawing things, pipe cleaners, play dough, small plastic animals, toy trucks, cars, chunky books with openable flabs. One mom said a pinwheel keep her child occupied for ages. Nothing that makes noise!! Even a quiet noise played 10,000 is not pleasant for your fellow travellers. Toddlers love repetition and the acoustics on an airplane are weird. Even with all the background noise, passengers would complain to me about something several rows away.

Bring her own small blanket. Kids hate the ones on airplanes ("scratchy" mine complain) and rolled up small, you can fit it in the backpack. Make sure you have snacks and plenty of diapers. I wish I had a dime for every parents I saw run out! Kids go through them faster when flying for a variety of reasons.

It's a myth that she needs to suck on take-off and landing. The AAP only recommends that a child be awake at the top of descent (landing is too late for the ears). If you want to give her something 40 minutes to an hour before landing, when you will feel your own ears reverse pressurization, there's no harm in doing so but I hate to see children woken up unnecessarily and/or forced to drink when they don't want to. I never do anything special during the flight and my kids were always fine.

I did take mine to the doctor before leaving to have their ears checked out. I rarely saw children or even adults with ear problems but I can assure you from experience, it can be really painful so make sure she her ears are healthy before flying.

It is a good idea to board towards the end but I don't recommend it unless there are at least two adults flying. Send one on board first (the "mule" as one mother called her husband) with all the gear and have them stow everything and install the seat. The other parent (with diaper bag just in case!) stays outside and lets toddler "let off steam". I don't recommend boarding last if you are alone because of both lack of storage space but even worse, if there's a problem with your seat, you don't need to find that out right before departure (can you tell I've seen that too many times??)

Also, please don't follow and "keep child awake" or "fly when she naps" tips. If you haven't booked yet, just know that earlier flights tend to be more on time and children are in better humor earlier in the day too. I've seen so many children "meltdown" when there was a delay because it was when they should have been sleeping. Get a good nights' rest before leaving so that she has the energy to get through check-in, security and boarding.

Here are my totally non-commercial flying tips;

http://flyingwithchildren1.blogspot.com

Have a great trip!

Flew with our son when he was 23 months. We did take his carseat so that he knew he would have to sit and not climb around the airplane. I also wrapped several small items I'd gotten at the Dollar Tree for him to tear open when he was bored, sticker books, kaleidascope etc. A roll of scotch tape to let them unravel can work wonders. Also gummy type fruit snacks are good for chewing. Books were great too!

On our first trip with DS, he was about 17 months old, and wanted to walk up and down the aisle with us. He slept a bit, but otherwise, he was awake and wanted to be moving. The flight attendants were really nice about it, and also about getting him milk for his sippy cup.

On the second trip, he had just turned 2, and he slept for most of the flight both ways, but that could have also been because we gave him Benadryl on the advice of our pediatrician's office (he had a cold, and they thought it might help with his ears on the flight). We also timed our flights when it was his normal nap time, so he was sleepy. When he wasn't asleep, he was watching the in-flight TV screen, which had ESPN, so he could watch baseball (which he loves--we watch little league games at our local park).

. . . . I have flown with an 8 month old and a 2 1/2 year old, 2 carseats, stroller, and diaper bag to LAX with a plane change in DFW by MYSELF and my brother wouldn't even pick me up at the airport so I had to rent the car too so nothing much scares me anymore.

Geez, time to find a new brother! :D

My one and only is now a teen (so I can tell you yes, it does get easier!) but what I do recall is using the pacifier leashes to clip one or two toys to the back of the seat pocket or the fabric of the car seat in order to keep track of them more easily.

dvd player, stickers, coloring DD liked magnadoodle at that age, any dollar store toy wrapped up in wrapping paper (the fun is the surprise) we let her open one per hour. You may also consider snacks, lolly pops ( dont normally give my child sweets but if it keeps her quiet on a plane its worth it ;) )

I'm all about "whatever works" when flying, so I let my girls have the junk food that they're usually deprived. I buy a bunch of different treats (Pringles, cheetos, gummies, etc. etc.) and put single servings into zip loc bags so I can pull a new one out when needed.

Even if your child is drinking from regular cups, bring a sippy or straw cup on the plane to avoid spills.

Bring LOTS of snacks, food and drinks (we fill empty cups with water once we pass security) since long delays are becomming the norm - so even if you don't think you'll need a meal, bring something substantial to eat. Our last plane change at JFK included a 4 hour delay at security with the terminal building shut down, so no access to food vendors, and I was very happy to have enough to keep my kids happy during the long wait. This has happened to us on board the plane as well - a long delay during which there's no food/beverage service.

I always bring an empty plastic trash bag on board with us because you can't believe how much trash can pile up.

Best,

Mia

Archived