Which night is the most formal?

sparkle56

On a seven day cruise with two formal nights, which is the most formal? On Princess, the second formal night has seemed to be the dressiest.

Is this the case on HAL?

DH will wear a tux (his own) both nights. I have a slightly shorter than tea length cocktail dress for one night and a gown for the other.

Thank you for your help and advice.

I believe the second formal night is usually somewhat more formal. Perhaps because folks have had more of an opportunity to get things pressed, etc.

That being said, there really appears to be less and less formality each time we cruise. Whether it's due to changing social mores, airline baggage restictions, or other reasons, I couldn't venture a guess. But on our last Westerdam cruise earlier this month, I would estimate less that 5% of our passengers donned truly formal attire for either of our formal nights. Coats & ties -- not necessarily even dark suits -- seemed to be the order of the day.

Today's 'formal' is now often no more than 'country club casual' but that should not stop you from dressing up to the nines-- just as long as you are prepared for all the admiring and jealous glances you'll receive from the many other women you pass by.

Thank you for the reply, Hensghan. We would always rather be overdressed than underdressed and truly enjoy being "formal" on formal nights.

There is just something very attractive about a man of any age in a tux. ;) James Bond knew what he was doing!

...But on our last Westerdam cruise earlier this month, I would estimate less that 5% of our passengers donned truly formal attire for either of our formal nights. Coats & ties -- not necessarily even dark suits -- seemed to be the order of the day...

We just got off a January 10-17 Western Caribbean cruise on the Westerdam and would estimate the population wearing tuxedos at approximately 35% to 40% on both nights.

We just got off a January 10-17 Western Caribbean cruise on the Westerdam and would estimate the population wearing tuxedos at approximately 35% to 40% on both nights.

Yep, I would say the same thing for the January 3 Westerdam cruise. Both nights were about the same. If you are bringing a tux you are most likely to wear it both times. If not, and you still plan on eating in the MDR, than you probably brought a coat and tie, and again, will probably wear it both times. It appeared that the vast majority of the people in the MDR were dressed appropriately for formal night both nights.

Could I ask a question of you HAL regulars, hopefully without getting anyone too riled up? :)

My husband does not even own a jacket, at all. He's a research scientist, and even the top people in his field wear t-shirts and shorts to present at conferences, etc. So, no need for one. (He rented a tux for our wedding...haha.) On the only other cruise he's been on (Princess), he wore black dress slacks, with a dark burgundy dress shirt and tie. He fit in just fine there, and he would fit in just fine on all my other cruises I've been on....I just don't want him to be turned away in the dining room for not having a jacket.

Not to start a debate on whether this is "socially acceptable" or not...just need to know if he will be turned back for not having a jacket? This WOULD in fact be a deal-breaker for us...he's not going to buy a jacket simply to cruise, so we may need to pick a different cruise if this is the case.

I noticed on the HAL website, it does not specifically state that jackets are required. It just says "T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week."

Thanks! :)

Could I ask a question of you HAL regulars, hopefully without getting anyone too riled up? :)

My husband does not even own a jacket, at all. He's a research scientist, and even the top people in his field wear t-shirts and shorts to present at conferences, etc. So, no need for one. (He rented a tux for our wedding...haha.) On the only other cruise he's been on (Princess), he wore black dress slacks, with a dark burgundy dress shirt and tie. He fit in just fine there, and he would fit in just fine on all my other cruises I've been on....I just don't want him to be turned away in the dining room for not having a jacket.

From what I saw he would fit in just fine.

From what I saw he would fit in just fine.

Thanks. And for the record, I wish he would purchase a suit/jacket. He looks so handsome in it! But, it's hard enough to get him on a cruise at all...I don't think he would even go if he absolutely had to wear a jacket...so I'll take what I can get.

Thanks. And for the record, I wish he would purchase a suit/jacket. He looks so handsome in it! But, it's hard enough to get him on a cruise at all...I don't think he would even go if he absolutely had to wear a jacket...so I'll take what I can get.

Keep in mind you can always eat on the lido on formal nights if he is really uncomfortable.

Not to start a debate on whether this is "socially acceptable" or not...just need to know if he will be turned back for not having a jacket? This WOULD in fact be a deal-breaker for us...he's not going to buy a jacket simply to cruise, so we may need to pick a different cruise if this is the case.

He might be turned away if he is not wearing a jacket. There's no predicting what will happen.

There have been times men have been turned away from the dining room when they were not dressed to code. The code suggests a tux or dark suit, but requires a jacket w/tie.

He might be turned away if he is not wearing a jacket. There's no predicting what will happen.

There have been times men have been turned away from the dining room when they were not dressed to code. The code suggests a tux or dark suit, but requires a jacket w/tie.

Okay, I really don't want to argue, and I promise I'm playing nice...I am just honestly curious. :) I just wonder where you see that HAL's dress code requires a jacket and tie?

I noticed that the dress code is very specific on what is NOT allowed in the dining room, but it appears to only suggest what people "usually" wear on formal evenings.

I noticed that the dress code is very specific on what is NOT allowed in the dining room, but it appears to only suggest what people "usually" wear on formal evenings.

If your husband elects to be "unusual" then you should not be surprised or shocked if the maitre d' has the "unusual" reaction of refusing access to the dining room on formal nights. It may or may not happen... you are taking your chances. Good luck !

I posted earlier on this thread that I had only noticed roughly 5% of truly formal attire at dinner on formal nights on our last Westerdam cruise, whereas several others on that same cruise reported 35% or so. I wondered how I could be off by so much. Then it dawned on me that it was possibly because we had AYWD dining and tended to eat rather early, and that the later MDR sitting had perhaps the greater % of formal wear. If this doesn't explain the different %'s, I don't really know what to say, but I never saw anywhere near 35% of dining passengers dressed formally at any dinner.

... we had AYWD dining ...

Everyone has AYW dining. Some have it as fixed seating, while others have open. Some dine in the alternative, extra charge, restaurants, while others eat in the Lido. And some others eat in their cabins.

All are As You Wish Dining.

It has always seemed to me everyone is trying harder on the first formal night and they tend to dress up more ... only an opinion as my wife enjoys dressing me up in a tux - her Ken doll i suppose - and one never knows where that might lead!

harry

Harry, isn't it fun to be Ken to your DW's Barbie?

As I posted previously, for us, my DH becomes Bond, James Bond, complete with tuxedo and martini. Not sure what that makes me. . . But seeing him dressed up like that--well, let's just say I am most appreciative. ;)

So far it seems that it's about 50/50 which night is the most formal. I clearly saw that the second night was the fanciest on our Mediterranean cruise, but on some of the others, not sure.

I noticed on the HAL website, it does not specifically state that jackets are required. It just says "T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week."

My philosophy is: "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." If I don't want to do what the Romans do, I go to a different city. Or for a week I tolerate doing what the Romans do because of everything else Rome has to offer.

I say the formal nights are about even and I'd agree it's about 35% tux wearers. I have a dark blue suit in the closet that only comes out for weddings and cruises and I'm happy with that. My photo is from a recent wedding.

I would suggest to anybody that they will feel more comfortable going along with the program and wearing some kind of jacket. Once you buy it you are then prepared for future cruises.

I hate wearing ties but I do so for the few hours on the cruise.

I keep reading that Alaska cruises are "less formal". One of my favorite things about cruising is dressing up on formal nights and usually I wear long gowns both nights. My husband hates dressing up but "humors me" and wears a rented tux. He doesn't even really own a suit that fits, so this works best for us. For those of you who have been on a HAL Alaska cruise; would we be "overdressed"?

The dress code on the HAL web site does not say "requires a jacket w/tie".

Archived