Mykonos 8-4 Highlights please and thanks

happy_travellers

Depends a lot on your own interests. I'd head to Delos, the sacred isle near Mykonos with wonderful ruins and museum.

Mykonos also has beaches that are supposed to be very nice. The town itself has good shopping (but not bargains), and nice restaurants if your thing is to sit and enjoy some good Greek food and a Mythos or two...

When we visited Mykonos a few years ago, we were there from 4- 11pm so it was a little different, we got to watch the sun go down and walk around the town, eat a little, shop a little, take all the pictures that everyone takes, like in front of the windmills...it's a beautiful little town, that seems like it was created for tourist, it's amazing how many people were there when we were. I would love to go back! It seemed like the time just flew bye, then it was time to leave....

Others have already mentioned Delos so I will just focus on Mykonos. This is an attractive Greek Island that is blessed with wonderful weather and quite a few gorgeous beaches. Most who go to Mykonos on vacation spend their days at the beach and their evenings in Mykonos Town where there are plenty of restaurants, cafes and night life. For us, the perfect port day in Mykonos generally means we take the local bus (from the bus station near the windmills) to Paradise Beach and enjoy the sun, water and sand. Than, we return to Mykonos Town and spend some time exploring the narrow streets that are full of interesting shops. We generally end our day by sitting in one of the waterfront cafes enjoying some drinks and perhaps a snack. Unlike some of the other Greek Islands (such as Santorini, Corfu, Rhodes, etc) we have never felt compelled to drive around Mykonos.

Hank

Others have already mentioned Delos so I will just focus on Mykonos. This is an attractive Greek Island that is blessed with wonderful weather and quite a few gorgeous beaches. Most who go to Mykonos on vacation spend their days at the beach and their evenings in Mykonos Town where there are plenty of restaurants, cafes and night life. For us, the perfect port day in Mykonos generally means we take the local bus (from the bus station near the windmills) to Paradise Beach and enjoy the sun, water and sand. Than, we return to Mykonos Town and spend some time exploring the narrow streets that are full of interesting shops. We generally end our day by sitting in one of the waterfront cafes enjoying some drinks and perhaps a snack. Unlike some of the other Greek Islands (such as Santorini, Corfu, Rhodes, etc) we have never felt compelled to drive around Mykonos.

Hank

We will be there the second week in May will there be much action around the beaches? Is the bus system frequent and reliable out to the beaches? Thanks Karen

We will be there the second week in May will there be much action around the beaches? Is the bus system frequent and reliable out to the beaches? Thanks Karen

This is a little early in their season, but things should still be pretty summer tourist normal by mid May (many of these islands start hopping around Easter). The local bus service is very reliable and there are always taxis for back-up if you do not want to wait for the bus (they do run on a schedule). Some prefer to rent a moped on this island, but we found the buses to make more sense since we only wanted transport to and from Paradise Beach (one of the most popular beaches). On Paradise there are facilities including a restaurant, swimming pool (never could understand why folks would use a pool when the sea water is so darn nice), changing rooms, chair and umbrella rentals, etc. It is also possible to take a water shuttle from Paradise to a few more remote beaches but this is a bit time consuming.

Hank

Lots of great things to enjoy in and around the beaches on Mykonos. Here are some visual samples from our experiences there in late June. Can share more and added views if it's of interest.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

On the opposite side of the Mykonos village on the island, here's a sampling of the beachside activities:

1A-Myk-Beach1.jpg

1A-Myk-Beach2.jpg

Here's a longer shot for one of the overall beachside settings:

MikOtherSide.jpg

The famed four windmills overlooking Mykonos:

Mik4WindMill.jpg

A Mykonos church with a dining area in front of this building:

MikChurDining.jpg

Harbor view in Mykonos with one of the charming windmills:

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

I'm another beach fan; I know Delos is good, but the truth is I've just never fancied it. Perhaps next time.... It's just that Mykonos itself is just so seductively beautiful!

We've been out to Platy Gialos (or Yialos or Yalos - spellings vary but IIRC that's what the sign on the bus said), the family beach on the south side of the island. Mykonos is a very small island and this beach is not much more than a couple of miles away from the town; however the roads are narrow and winding so you can't go too fast. The bus goes from the southern side of the town, on the side of a large 'square' (actually a complicated junction of a number of roads) with ATV & bike rentals, bars, and minimarkets all round; get your tickets (about €1.30 or so per person, one way) from the minimarket, and the journey will take 10 minutes or so. The bus runs every 30 minutes, and it just shuttles back and forward between Platy Gialos & the town all day.

I've never seen many taxis in Mykonos. This may be because it is a very small island and demand for taxis is not going to be huge. This is especially so at the beach - I don't think I've ever seen one there. Just use the bus - we have on three different visits, without problems. Generally, you buy tickets from the local minimarkets - there's one just up the road from the beach where you can buy your ticket back to town.

Can I also throw in a mention of Katerina's Bar? It's in the Little venice area, with a small terrace overlooking the sea, and it's gorgeous. Drink aren't cheap - you're definitely paying for that view - but the memory will stay with you for a long time.

I'm another beach fan; I know Delos is good, but the truth is I've just never fancied it. Perhaps next time.... It's just that Mykonos itself is just so seductively beautiful!

We've been out to Platy Gialos (or Yialos or Yalos - spellings vary but IIRC that's what the sign on the bus said), the family beach on the south side of the island. Mykonos is a very small island and this beach is not much more than a couple of miles away from the town; however the roads are narrow and winding so you can't go too fast. The bus goes from the southern side of the town, on the side of a large 'square' (actually a complicated junction of a number of roads) with ATV & bike rentals, bars, and minimarkets all round; get your tickets (about €1.30 or so per person, one way) from the minimarket, and the journey will take 10 minutes or so. The bus runs every 30 minutes, and it just shuttles back and forward between Platy Gialos & the town all day.

I've never seen many taxis in Mykonos. This may be because it is a very small island and demand for taxis is not going to be huge. This is especially so at the beach - I don't think I've ever seen one there. Just use the bus - we have on three different visits, without problems. Generally, you buy tickets from the local minimarkets - there's one just up the road from the beach where you can buy your ticket back to town.

Can I also throw in a mention of Katerina's Bar? It's in the Little venice area, with a small terrace overlooking the sea, and it's gorgeous. Drink aren't cheap - you're definitely paying for that view - but the memory will stay with you for a long time.

Many Thanks for all the info and Terry again beautiful pics!

Finding the 8-4 shore time a little challanging to plan. Maybe take Bus to the beach first to give more buffer time getting back to town then wander the town in the afternoon and head to Katrina's bar.

At this time there is no NCL excursion listed for a beach afternoon does anyone know if they will have such a thing. That would be great so that we could visit the town in the morning and have a safety net of going to the beach when it is livelier in the afternoon!

Karen

At this time there is no NCL excursion listed for a beach afternoon does anyone know if they will have such a thing. That would be great so that we could visit the town in the morning and have a safety net of going to the beach when it is livelier in the afternoon!

I haven't been there with NCL, only with Celebrity, but to be truthful I've never seen any excursions at Mykonos except to Delos. I think the assumption is that it is so small that people will do their own thing.

Here's how the beach thing worked for us, each time we've been there (Note that strictly the only beach we've got experience of is Platy Gialos so this may not be true of the other beaches.) When you get to the beach there are loungers and sunshades laid out along the beach. At the back of Platy Gialos are a line of small hotels & restaurants & bars, and basically they each own the loungers, etc, in front of them. So once you've paid for your lounger you can use the facilities (specifically, the toilets) in 'your' hotel or whatever. You'll also find that if you want a drink there'll be a waiter keeping an attentive eye out for requests.

If you then have lunch at 'your' restaurant, and as long as you spend €20 per person, you get the cost of the loungers etc knocked of the lunch bill.

Many Thanks for all the info and Terry again beautiful pics! Finding the 8-4 shore time a little challanging to plan. Maybe take Bus to the beach first to give more buffer time getting back to town then wander the town in the afternoon and head to Katrina's bar. At this time there is no NCL excursion listed for a beach afternoon does anyone know if they will have such a thing. That would be great so that we could visit the town in the morning and have a safety net of going to the beach when it is livelier in the afternoon! Karen

THANKS, Karen, for the nice comments on my pictures! We walked around the main village with its cute narrow streets, dockside areas, etc. Did lunch on our ship and then got a rental car for the afternoon. The rate was fairly low and it allowed time to see more of the island, view different beaches, etc. It's a fairly compact island and the driving distances are not that long. With a rental car, I had much more flexibility to see and do much more in a fairly short period of time, including taking lots of pictures. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Narrow flowered street in Mykonos with its many shops:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

Ladies departing a church service in main Mykonos on a Sunday:

1A-Mykonos-ChurchLadies.jpg

At the fish docks in Mykonos:

1A-Myk-FishDock.jpg

Housing up the hillside near Mykonos:

1A-Myk-Village-Shore.jpg

A longer shot of Mykonos’ four windmills and the village rooftops:

MikWindMills2.jpg

Another view of the small harbor and houses up the hillside in Mykonos:

1A-Mykonos-Dockside.jpg

Terry just love your photos,was wondering if you use a polarizer all the time or do you touch them up with polarizer software? I realize that you are sharing your best shots with us but they are so incredible for shots that I suspect you are taking on the run so to speak. The one downside to going to a port is the limited amount of time and not being able to wait for the right light ect. With that being said I am even more impressed by your travel photos.

Karen

Terry just love your photos,was wondering if you use a polarizer all the time or do you touch them up with polarizer software? I realize that you are sharing your best shots with us but they are so incredible for shots that I suspect you are taking on the run so to speak. The one downside to going to a port is the limited amount of time and not being able to wait for the right light ect. With that being said I am even more impressed by your travel photos. Karen

THANKS, again, Karen! Generally when shooting on bright sunny days, I will have a polarizing filter on the lens. A polarizing filter is especially needed in a super sunny place like Mykonos. Don't have polarizing software on my computer that I know of. YES, the shots are taken on the run, but there are some photo secrets that I have used and learned that I'm happy to share, if that's of interest. Part of it is shooting lots of pictures and only showing the "good ones". Let me know what's helpful for you. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

THANKS, again, Karen! Generally when shooting on bright sunny days, I will have a polarizing filter on the lens. A polarizing filter is especially needed in a super sunny place like Mykonos. Don't have polarizing software on my computer that I know of. YES, the shots are taken on the run, but there are some photo secrets that I have used and learned that I'm happy to share, if that's of interest. Part of it is shooting lots of pictures and only showing the "good ones". Let me know what's helpful for you. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Hi Terry, I started a thread Tips needed to get the best Med pics. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1130139 Thanks Karen

Is this the best Mykonos beach for a quick beach experience?

Thanks Karen

Thanks for the comments and tips about Mykonos... its gorgeous. I cannot wait to go there! My girlfriend rented ATV's - if there are windy roads with buses and donkeys etc. is it dangerous... I live in Chile and the drivers here are definitely risk takers.:eek:

Thanks for the comments and tips about Mykonos... its gorgeous. I cannot wait to go there! My girlfriend rented ATV's - if there are windy roads with buses and donkeys etc. is it dangerous... I like in Chile and the drivers here are risk takers.:eek:

Thanks for the comments and tips about Mykonos... its gorgeous. I cannot wait to go there! My girlfriend rented ATV's - if there are windy roads with buses and donkeys etc. is it dangerous... I like in Chile and the drivers here are risk takers.:eek:

It can be windy in Mykonos. Once you get off of the main highway, some of the roads going directly to the beaches are not all smooth, wide, paved, etc. I would strongly urge care as you drive there. It is easy to get "distracted" by the nice sights, grand vistas, etc. Not all drivers are sober and being responsible. Some folks go on vacation, get an ATV and think they can test their "Grand Prix" skills. That's not good or smart. It also depends on how crowded and busy it is the day you are there. It can all work out fine, but be careful and watchful.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived