Bora Bora, Papeete, Tahiti, Moorea, Raiatia - Any Tips?

SargassoPirate

We have an upcoming cruise with stops in Bora Bora, Papeete, Tahiti, Moorea, Raiatia.

Anyone been there with tips on what to see and what to avoid? We just got off a month-long cruise and about "excursioned out" with the rigorous schedules and ten-minute shopping breaks. We'd like to be able just to get off at the dock and walk around and see local sights without a scheduled tour. Low key is the word.

Thanks in advance for any advice.:)

We have an upcoming cruise with stops in Bora Bora, Papeete, Tahiti, Moorea, Raiatia.

Anyone been there with tips on what to see and what to avoid? We just got off a month-long cruise and about "excursioned out" with the rigorous schedules and ten-minute shopping breaks. We'd like to be able just to get off at the dock and walk around and see local sights without a scheduled tour. Low key is the word.

November 2009 (Star Princess Sydney to LA) I went on a fantastic trip to an island motu with Patrick where we swam with reef sharks and stingrays before being taken to the motu for a fantastic Tahitian BBQ lunch with champagne. It was one of the best things I did during my Pacific cruise. Here is his web page:

http://www.maohinui.net/

It was great fun as a group of us from the ship went together which we organised through the CruiseCritic forum before embarkation date.

Cheers,

Pete

O.P., you mention that you do not want to do an excursion. On one trip I rented a car that was not much more than a high end gas golf cart and drove around the island of Bora Bora. I is a very small island and it was easy. You can stop at a few places and visit Bloody Marys for the experience. The other islands except Papeete I did excursions either independently or with the ship. On some of the islands you can take a boat ride to one of the motus and a taxi to one of the beaches for an easy day. If you want to do an excursion and enjoy snorkeling you can find some good ones. The water around the islands are calm and breathtaking. I really enjoyed a drift snorkel that I booked on Raiatia (Tahaa I think). I can look it up if you are interested. The bottom line for me is anything on or near the water is great for that area.

I would second hiring a car. We took a small car (not the golf buggy sort but a small 4 seater) in both Bora Bora & Moorea and had a fabulous time driving round the islands, stopping at hotels, beaches etc. 4 hours is more than enough in each place. It is very easy to drive and you can't get lost, just follow the sea !

On a recent trip to Bora Bora, we found they now have a shuttle $5 pp each way, that will take you to Matira beach, and then drop you off at Bloody Marys either going or on the return, and pick you up at a designated time (included in the $5 price). The beach is a bit of a drive from the port, and Bloody Marys is about half way between the port and the beach. With the prices in the islands, this was a real steal. ;)

We joined Marc's tour the first day we were in Bora Bora, and then took the shuttle the two days we were there on the return. Matira beach is gorgeous, wasn't that crowded at all, and was adjacent to the InterContinental Hotel (our friends had rented an overwater bungalow for the night) so we visited them for awhile and enjoyed a great beach day.

toto2kansas - who runs the shuttle? Did you get it through the cruise line?

Thanks.

The island supplies dozens of shuttles, no booking through the ship. All shapes and sizes from open air to regular small buses. There is rarely a wait, as usually there are several there waiting right at the pier. This is also the case at the beach, always one waiting there to take you back to the pier.

If you wish to stop at Bloody Marys, the driver will ask you, and then also ask what time you would like to be picked up, and he was always there right on time. If for some reason a shuttle doesn't return to pick you up, you just stand outside and the first one by will stop and pick you up.

Very simple and worry free. We went to the beach both days in a row we were on Bora Bora the second leg of our cruise.

You can walk in the town at Raiatea, but there's not much to see. Depends partly on what day of the week for each island--Sundays tend to be closed down. There are usually excursions available at the dock, try to get some snorkeling in if you decide to do a tour.

I agree about renting a car for 4 hours in Moorea--make sure you get up to the Belvedere lookout, the view is spectacular.

Shame not to get into the water in Bora Bora--some kind of snorkel trip involving stingrays, for example. The lagoon is just so gorgeous.

• 5 weeks later...

Without a doubt, Patrick's tour in Bora Bora was the best excursion I did on our trip last month. They have it perfectly planned, the food was great, the snorkling the best I've ever done, and if you can get a group together, he will take you to his private Motu. We were actually out for several hours longer than we had originally agreed to, for no extra charge. It was about $110 pp US, and worth every penny! We got a group of 36 together, and Patrick used 3 boats with 12 each.

Several people on our trip rented dune buggys in various ports and really loved doing that, if you are excursioned out.

We did about half and half, planning some ports, and just getting off the ship, then deciding what to do in others.

If I was only going to take one tour, it would be Patricks!

With the exception of Papeete, the other islands didn't really have much to see/do in walking distance. To experience these islands you either need to rent a car/take a jeep tour or head to the water (the main attraction!). You are going to such a beautiful place, you don't want to miss out on seeing it!

• 2 weeks later...
I would second hiring a car. We took a small car (not the golf buggy sort but a small 4 seater) in both Bora Bora & Moorea and had a fabulous time driving round the islands, stopping at hotels, beaches etc. 4 hours is more than enough in each place. It is very easy to drive and you can't get lost, just follow the sea !

We have just returned from these island and also rented a car in Bora Bora and Moorea. Worked well for us! Are you traveling on the PG?

I really recommend you get on into the island of Raiatea, it was beautiful! I have some pictures posted in this review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1152411

• 3 weeks later...

So Pete,

are you on the Rhapsody? If so, join us over on our roll call. Lots of nice folks, we do have some things planned but we are very easy going group! We will be doing the Patrick tour and may have a spot or two available.

• 2 weeks later...
November 2009 (Star Princess Sydney to LA) I went on a fantastic trip to an island motu with Patrick where we swam with reef sharks and stingrays before being taken to the motu for a fantastic Tahitian BBQ lunch with champagne. It was one of the best things I did during my Pacific cruise. Here is his web page:

http://www.maohinui.net/

It was great fun as a group of us from the ship went together which we organised through the CruiseCritic forum before embarkation date.

Cheers,

Pete

KP Melb,

Did you do the private lagoon excursion or the lagoon & polynesian lunch excursion? Also, you actually got in the water with the sharks?

Archived