Future Cruise Credits- any limit?

SuzanneH

I have done a search on this forum and even pulled out my flyer about them from my last cruise on NCL but couldn't find the info I was looking for...... Can you purchase just one? If more than one, do you get the benefit of the $100 instant OBC for each certificate you buy, or just one no matter how many? With the new four year expiration I think these are a great deal, so just was checking. Working on my budget for the Star in April and wanted to make sure I had enough for a few if the benefits are there. Also, for those of you that have done this in the past- can they be used with any special rates, such as interline or military? THANKS so much for all the info on this board. So much fun!!

I can't be of any help regarding your special rates question and whether future cruise rewards can be applied.

But as for your 1st question, each passenger can purchase up to 4. They are transferable as well. You get $100 OBC for each cert. you purchase.;):D

I have done a search on this forum and even pulled out my flyer about them from my last cruise on NCL but couldn't find the info I was looking for...... Can you purchase just one? If more than one, do you get the benefit of the $100 instant OBC for each certificate you buy, or just one no matter how many? With the new four year expiration I think these are a great deal, so just was checking. Working on my budget for the Star in April and wanted to make sure I had enough for a few if the benefits are there. Also, for those of you that have done this in the past- can they be used with any special rates, such as interline or military? THANKS so much for all the info on this board. So much fun!!

I can't be of any help regarding your special rates question and whether future cruise rewards can be applied.

But as for your 1st question' date=' each passenger can purchase up to 4. They are transferable as well. You get $100 OBC for each cert. you purchase.;):D[/quote']

To add to Barb's answer...Yes, you can use them with special rates. However, the cost of the cruise must be greater than the value of the certificate (ie...You can't book that $149 CTN with one). Additionally, with the new 4 year rule in place, there is also a rule that you can only use 1 certificate per cruise....however, as Barb said, they are fully transferable.

To add to Barb's answer...Yes, you can use them with special rates. However, the cost of the cruise must be greater than the value of the certificate (ie...You can't book that $149 CTN with one). Additionally, with the new 4 year rule in place, there is also a rule that you can only use 1 certificate per cruise....however, as Barb said, they are fully transferable.

There always was a rule that you could only use one per cruise or at least one per cabin. though occasionally someone reported being able to apply more than one. I think that was just someone's goof that got by.

Additionally, with the new 4 year rule in place, there is also a rule that you can only use 1 certificate per cruise....however, as Barb said, they are fully transferable.

Slightly correcting SeaShark, you can use only one per stateroom booked, and this is NOT a new rule; it was also the case back when the expiration was 2.5 years.

I have used this opportunity twice now, counting the upcoming cruise. Works like a charm.

I concur that they are still usable if you are eligible for various other discounts. They work like cash. Another bennie is that they also suffice to cover your entire deposit for an category below Owner Suite or Garden Villa, whereas otherwise you might have to shell out several hundred dollars more at deposit-time.

InThe

I spoke to my PCC yesterday and he mentioned that we should always use the onboard booking to get the $100 OBC if we plan to cruise often. He said we can apply the $250 deposit to a cruise already booked. So it seems an easy way to get an extra $100.

we know we will be SAILING with NCL in the future so we purchased 4 of them one as a Christmas Gift and it was NICE having that $400 OBC for our 2 week Panama Canal cruise....if you KNOW you will cruise in the future (4 years) its a GREAT deal...i already used one to book my next cruise in dec and tentatively another in 2011...its NICE not to have to have that DEPOSIT right off when you book!!

IMO it was a good deal when they were 2 1/2 years and now with it at 4 years it is even better. As others have said you can only use one per cabin booked but if you book more than one cabin on the cruise you can use one for each cabin booked with them being fully transferable.

We are on our third one and plan on getting another.

Thanks so much to all of you!! I will definitely be on NCL again soon so I think it would be an awesome opportunity! We are a family of five so good to know about one per stateroom as well. All of the answers are very much appreciated!! -Suz.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I am new to the boards but I am loving all the tips and info I am picking up.

My husband, daughter (will be 15) and I are planning to cruise on Epic next summer in the med. This will be our first family cruise and we have been looking a RCI and NCL but daughter LOVES the look of the waterpark on EPIC so are swaying towards that at the moment. We cannot book yet as it is not on sale in the UK yet, waiting eagerly.

Anyway my question is, I am sure we will cruise again after the first one and wanted to know if anyone knows, if we buy a cruise reward on baord, how does the deposit work - the $250 - on UK deposits? The UK deposit is currently £100 pp for a european cruise (often discounted to £50 pp low deposit). Do they just credit booking with the full $250 (converted into sterling) or is it purely one deposit amount ? ie £100 / £50 if low offer is on??

Many thanks, i know its probably a daft question, sorry,

Sam

I spoke to my PCC yesterday and he mentioned that we should always use the onboard booking to get the $100 OBC if we plan to cruise often. He said we can apply the $250 deposit to a cruise already booked. So it seems an easy way to get an extra $100.

On this the PCC is wrong unless they changed it again. They use to allow them to be used on an already booked cruise but no longer. Let us know if they actually allow it...

Hi there,

I am new to the boards but I am loving all the tips and info I am picking up.

My husband, daughter (will be 15) and I are planning to cruise on Epic next summer in the med. This will be our first family cruise and we have been looking a RCI and NCL but daughter LOVES the look of the waterpark on EPIC so are swaying towards that at the moment. We cannot book yet as it is not on sale in the UK yet, waiting eagerly.

Anyway my question is, I am sure we will cruise again after the first one and wanted to know if anyone knows, if we buy a cruise reward on baord, how does the deposit work - the $250 - on UK deposits? The UK deposit is currently £100 pp for a european cruise (often discounted to £50 pp low deposit). Do they just credit booking with the full $250 (converted into sterling) or is it purely one deposit amount ? ie £100 / £50 if low offer is on??

Many thanks, i know its probably a daft question, sorry,

Sam

You would be credited with the full value of the certificate. Unless things have changed, the value in £ is stated at time of purchase.

If the cost of the deposit is higher than the voucher value, you don't need to pay any extra - the voucher is your deposit.

If the cost of the deposit is lower than the voucher value then you would just pay less at time of full payment than you would otherwise have done.

Hope that's clear!

The fellow we work with at NCL also told us we can use it on an already booked cruise- going to call on Monday to confirm- we are sailing on the Star in 3 weeks and planned on buying a few - won't do that if we can't use them for the 2 cabins we already have booked for the Sun in December

fyi

From a supervisor at NCL......

..".this is what I use when training our agents to explain. If someone is able to get it slipped through and they run the risk of it being found later and having it removed.

Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposits are valid for reservations made and sailing within 4 years from the date of purchase…… these must be applied on new reservations only. If a guest has a future reservation pending – it would need to be rebooked if they were going to use the coupon. The reservation would then be at the current prevailing rate and terms. "

I am not saying you shouldn't ask and try but these are the rules with a way around them....

fyi

From a supervisor at NCL......

..".this is what I use when training our agents to explain. If someone is able to get it slipped through and they run the risk of it being found later and having it removed.

Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposits are valid for reservations made and sailing within 4 years from the date of purchase…… these must be applied on new reservations only. If a guest has a future reservation pending – it would need to be rebooked if they were going to use the coupon. The reservation would then be at the current prevailing rate and terms. "

I am not saying you shouldn't ask and try but these are the rules with a way around them....

The supervisor needs a little supervision. Neither the terms and conditions published on NCL's Web site:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=CruiseRewards

nor the terms and conditions on the back of the reward certificate I purchased in October use the words "and sailing" in the time condition. Both the site and the physical certificate say it is valid for reservations made within four years of the date of purchase.

The "new reservations only" condition is correct.

On this the PCC is wrong unless they changed it again. They use to allow them to be used on an already booked cruise but no longer. Let us know if they actually allow it...

I just returned last week from a cruise on the Spirit and asked the onboard cruise consultant about purchasing a certificate to use on a cruise we have already booked for September 2010. I was told that it could not be used on a cruise for which we had already made a deposit.

You would be credited with the full value of the certificate. Unless things have changed, the value in £ is stated at time of purchase.

If the cost of the deposit is higher than the voucher value, you don't need to pay any extra - the voucher is your deposit.

If the cost of the deposit is lower than the voucher value then you would just pay less at time of full payment than you would otherwise have done.

Hope that's clear!

Thats brilliant! Many thanks for the info, really appeciated :)

Sam :)

Being a skeptic and sufficiently egotistical to believe that I can uncover the "catch" in any "deal," I first listened to the Future Cruise Credit (FCC) sales pitch with a healthy dose of attitude. As my questions were answered, I would slip away to ponder a new line of attack. When all of my theories were disproved, I went to my buddy, who is even more conservative about these things than I am. When HIS questions were addressed and HE was satisfied, I figured it was a safe purchase. This was especially true, since it is possible to nullify the purchase after you get home---in the event of a severe case of buyer's remorse.

Cut to the chase...my wife and I bought two FCC's and my buddy and his wife ended up doing the same. We applied the FCC's to a new cruise (Pearl 3/6/10). I fully expect to buy a couple more FCC's while on board.

Does NCL benefit from this arrangement? Of course! NCL (a) gets its hooks into a customer (me) for another cruise, and (b) gets the use of my money ($150 net) until I redeem the FCC. Do I mind? Not really. I get plenty out of the deal, too. First, I get the immediate $100 OBC. Second, I get the ability to reserve a cabin with no additional deposit. This allows me to avoid giving NCL a potentially much larger deposit amount. Depending on the exact circumstances, my gain from this could outweigh NCL's gain from having my $150 prior to redemption of the FCC.

Unless you are certain that you will not cruise NCL again ( at least not w/in the applicable time frame) or you simply CAN NOT STAND the thought of NCL holding your money ($150net/FCC) prior to redemption, this is a win-win situation.

P.S. The clincher for us was that the FCC's are fully and freely transferable. This means that we can use them as gifts. Our kids think this is a GREAT idea!

Hope that's clear!

The voucher is NOT enough for the deposit if you book a Penthouse or higher category and the voucher is in £. Then you have to add some money for the deposit, unless the normal deposit is lower than the value of the voucher.

The voucher is NOT enough for the deposit if you book a Penthouse or higher category and the voucher is in £. Then you have to add some money for the deposit, unless the normal deposit is lower than the value of the voucher.

Thanks for that info also,again it is much appreciatd,

Sam:)

Archived