Once upon a time - Room service

Arwenmark

So, it used to be the case on NCL and other lines that even though the room service menu was limited, that DURING DINNER you could order from the normal dining room dinner menu and have it delivered by room service.

I know of course you can do this in a suite, but this was anyone could do it.

Does anyone know for sure, if this is still possible? Has anyone done it recently?

So, it used to be the case on NCL and other lines that even though the room service menu was limited, that DURING DINNER you could order from the normal dining room dinner menu and have it delivered by room service.

I know of course you can do this in a suite, but this was anyone could do it.

Does anyone know for sure, if this is still possible? Has anyone done it recently?

I have been cruising for over 20 years on every major line. Not once do I recall having the option to have entress from the MDR delivered to my cabin. I am referring to standard inside, ov, and balcony accomodations as I have not had the pleasure of staying in a suite.

BTW which ship were you on where dinner from the MDR was delivered to your cabin(non suite)..?

I have been cruising for over 20 years on every major line. Not once do I recall having the option to have entress from the MDR delivered to my cabin. I am referring to standard inside, ov, and balcony accomodations as I have not had the pleasure of staying in a suite.

BTW which ship were you on where dinner from the MDR was delivered to your cabin(non suite)..?

in the past, granted fairly distant past now, I have done this on both NCL and Royal Caribbean. Both times in a balcony cabin not suite.

I don't think it was ever advertised but you could order,from room service, from the dining room menu during the hours they served dinner in the dining room.

People sometimes did this if they had a child asleep in the cabin or perhaps didn't feel up to going TO the dining room or buffet but still wanted a nice dinner etc.

Not that this helps the OP since it was a different cruise line, but last March on the Explorer of the Seas we were able to order most items (not lobster) from the dining room menu even though we were in an interior cabin.

On Holland America you can order anything on the dinner menu........full dinner as Room Service...............in any cabin. You just go read the posted menu and decide what you want and call it in!

I take it ....this is not "advertised information"....I've never heard of this....but would have loved to have made use of it if it were available. Only cruised on Disney, Carnival , and NCL.....is this available on any of those? Is it available on Princess cruise lines?

in the past, granted fairly distant past now, I have done this on both NCL and Royal Caribbean. Both times in a balcony cabin not suite.

I don't think it was ever advertised but you could order,from room service, from the dining room menu during the hours they served dinner in the dining room.

People sometimes did this if they had a child asleep in the cabin or perhaps didn't feel up to going TO the dining room or buffet but still wanted a nice dinner etc.

We had done that on other cruise lines so we tried to do that on the Jewel in 2008 because the room service 'dinner' menu is so extremely limited. But we were told that only what was on the room service menu could be ordered.

Not that this helps the OP since it was a different cruise line, but last March on the Explorer of the Seas we were able to order most items (not lobster) from the dining room menu even though we were in an interior cabin.

Good to know. even though most of my cruises are on NCL, I sometimes do sail Royal.

If NCL ever had this, it had to be a long, long time ago. I've been cruising on NCL for ages and don't remember it...but we don't use room service that often.

Have you ever tried? As I say it was never an advertised thing on any line that I remember but you could do it just the same.

Have you ever tried? As I say it was never an advertised thing on any line that I remember but you could do it just the same.

Haven't tried, but in post #11 someone says they have tried and and couldn't do it.

The only thing I recall people saying they do successfully is ordering an omelet from the "all day" non-suite room service menu during breakfast hours, even though the breakfast menu does not have any provision for eggs. Even then I recall at least one person saying that on their cruise, they were not successful in ordering the eggs.

I know on some other cruise lines I've been on you were permitted to order from the dining room, and it wasn't an unadvertised secret.

My roomie called last year since she was on a night scuba dive and got back late , tired and wet. She was quite surprised that it was a no since she was able to order whatever was being served in the MDR on other lines. So yes, she tired and it was a no go.

Good to know. even though most of my cruises are on NCL, I sometimes do sail Royal.

Even though we were told you could do this, it was a little confusing because the order form on the interactive TV did not have those items listed, so you had to call room service rather than using the TV. On a different channel, there was a continuously scrolling menu of what dinner items (or lunch items during lunch hours) were available through room service. It was fairly comprehensive, but a few things were missing.

I take it ....this is not "advertised information"....I've never heard of this....but would have loved to have made use of it if it were available. Only cruised on Disney, Carnival , and NCL.....is this available on any of those? Is it available on Princess cruise lines?

I don't remember it being available on Princess, but then again, I didn't try.

We did it on a Celebrity cruise last year one night I was not feeling up to dressing for dinner. Never tried to do so on any of our NCL cruises.

So did I on Celebrity, I had to call the dining room, to find out the night's entrees, and room service brought it.

On Celebrity I've done it in an inside cabin & balcony cabin when running really late. My room steward brought the menu when I mentioned that I had a late shore excursion and didn't know that I could get ready in time for early dinner. He said he would take the order and did so. Since the entire meal is served at one time by the steward, he told me that the meal would not arrive until it was time for the entrees in the dining room. Made sense. This held true for either dinner seating on a fixed dining time cruise. The only real difficulty is that you had to spread all the trays out on the beds since there was no table that could accommodate all of them!

One time I could NOT get out the oily stuff that had been put on my hair during a spa treatment, so I had to skip dinner. It was very nice that I could still get a good meal. This meal would not be ordered via your interactive tv. That would be for regular room service only.

This is not at all the same as a meal served course by course in a suite.

This has limited applicability but I know that in a suite you can order from any restaurant's menu (with possible exception of restuarants with extra charge as we didn't try those). The butler will bring you a menu for review and you can then place your order. I think we did it once when we didn't feel like heading out to dinner.

Archived