Bummped from cruise

Bulldoglady

It was the Financial Greediness of the Cruise Line that caused and is responsible for this needless inconvenience of a passenger who truly needed a break in life and some R & R.

I think this passenger definitely deserves a full refund, a free cruise with upgrade. Big deal so this greedy cruise line is giving a free upgraded cabin, no true money out of their pocket.

I am sure there was other passengers that booked and paid after her, why should she be bumped and especially for a whole year.

OP, the cruise lines do read these boards and I would not hide their identity. I pray for your family and hope you end up with a cabin you deserve.

The cruise line would not give us a reason we booked the cruise in Australia Princess Australia blame the USA office ,Usa Office blame Australia.Everyone i have spoken to say it is not there department and dont know why.

Aslo i do always try to look on the bright side of things.

And not that it is any of your business.

The past 3 years have been hell for my husband and i and this cruise was something major we had to look forward to.

My little grand son nearly died when he was 6weeks old,had open heart surgery was on oxygen 24 hours a day then we nearly lost him another 3 times he still has onging medical proublems,inbetween this my husbands dad died, my mum was diagnosed with terminal cancer my dad had a major heart attach and had bypass surgery,then was diagnosed with renal cancer and is now on renal diaylis.I nursed my Mum for 18 months,helped my daughter with my grandson and took care of my dad.My beauitfull mum died, my friend that we were going on the cruise with was re diagnosed with breast cancer and i was looking foward to spending some quality time with her.

So i am sorry if you think i am greedy but this was the straw that broke the camels back for us when our cruise was canceled and i think we deserve our upgrade.

I lost a child 25 years ago. Her twin survived but had 8 surgeries between birth and age 18, and still has many serious health issues. So, I do have empathy for you and feel terribly that your little grandson is going through that, I also have empathy about your parents. Mine are both dead. I just wish I still had them, even in ill health. (selfish of me, I knwo) But your family's health issues are not the cruise line's fault. It may have been "the straw that broke the camel's back," but being bumped off a cruise, and your grandson and parents being gravely ill, has nothing to do with each other.

Normally you get bumped off a cruise for the same reason you are for a flight, it is overbooked. The lines do try to get volunteers to change cruises, but if that fails, then they have to bump someone. Refunding your cruise fare, reimbursing for non refundable flights, along with giving you a free cruise in the same category that you originally booked is very good compensation.

On my last roll call, people took a bump voluntarily after being asked. What did they get? They went from a VF guarantee category balcony to a VA assigned balcony (best balcony on HAL before mini suite category) they were given a $200 on board credit, and they also were given the difference in cost for the penalty of changing their flight dates. Now they did volunteer, but you see, your deal was MUCH better.

I am sorry this happened to you, however, I do think you were treated very fair. My guess is an employee who had no authority was the one that told you that you would be upgraded. I would not be surprised if he/she was fired or severely reprimanded for telling you this, especially if that is not company policy to do in the case of bumped cruisers.

Unless you have this in writing (example- a saved e-mail) I doubt you can do anything about it. If it was a phone conversation, there is little you can do. Although phone calls are recorded, the cruise line is not likely to share the "evidence" with you. The "burden of proof" will be upon you. (recorded phone calls- hence my belief the employee was probably fired or reprimanded)

This just floors me! In all 42 cruises, I have never heard of this happening! Sorry, if I have a confirmation and I have paid for my trip, I am going, otherwise there will be trouble. I think there was some miscommunication going on between these posts, if you read them in order, you'll see what I mean. Bulldoglady, press on. I also hope you have it in writing and I hope you get your well deserved vacation!

I have the original email that Princess sent to my travel agent that states an upgrade if available at time of booking.

I'm sorry to hear that you were bumped from the cruise, but according to what you posted you were not guaranteed an upgrade. The phrase "if available" is what counts. Is this new cruise a similar itinerary to your original cruise from which you were bumped? If so, these cruises are very popular and tend to sell out quickly. Have you checked to see if there are higher category cabins available?

You were offered a full refund of cruise and airfares, which you got, as well as a free cruise. I assume you are not being charged for this cruise you have booked? If so, Princess has lived up to their promise and there isn't much that you can do.

It is disgusting that someone was bumped- never, ever should a cruise be over sold. I cannot believe that people seem to think this is an ok thing to happen as long as you are given compensation. The OP paid 3 months in advance- was the cruise already oversold then? Why did they then take her money? I hate some of the complaints I have read on this site- whiny little babies- but this complaint is genuine and the problem should not have occured. I would be publishing the cruise lines name and I would definitely not be travelling with them- or any associated lines -again.

It was the Financial Greediness of the Cruise Line that caused and is responsible for this needless inconvenience of a passenger who truly needed a break in life and some R & R.

Overbooking is not financial greediness, but a good business practice. I know my husband used to work for an airline, and he said on average of 20% of PAX would miss morning flights, and fly standby later in the day. Because of this, the airline would over book morning flights. This actually keeps down costs of the airline, costs that cut into profits and cause the airlines to raise their fares.

The same goes for cruiselines, many will book and then at finial payment cancel. Sometimes though not enough cancels. From what I understand, even when a ship is full, the cruiseline only breaks even. They make their profits off what we buy on board.

I have been offered a bump several times (they call it moveover), and it was up to me to accept the bump or not. I took it once and got a great upgrade as well as money $100 pp to re-book our flight.

Just curious. Can you share with us which cruise line/ship bumped you? I see you've sailed Princess before. If it was Princess, I'm beginning to wonder if there is a pattern developing.

Most importantly, has anyone else been bumped, and if so, what line/ ship???:confused: Perhaps 'bumping' is a more common practice than the public realizes!

thank god for these forums to inform the travelling public!

as consumers we have choices and power in those decisions.

if everyone who is treated in a manner that is less than optimal complains and exposes bad practices we will all be better off?

as said i would not travel with that cruise line again. i would move on.

plenty of better experiences and life is too short to put up with this type of thing.

consider another experience. we like european river cruising, but have heard great things about china and the nile too.

enjoy yourself!

It isn't cavalier, it is realistic.

I have been bumped from a cruise, so I do know how frustrating it is - but the one I was booked on was a complete one off so no other cruise could replace it. But these things happen - okay they shouldn't, but they do.

I was very happy with the offer made to me of a free cruise.

Perhaps realistic and cavalier? Granted the compensation was excellent. That isn't the point though. She lost the window of time in which her friend was in remission from cancer, and there is no compensating that loss. She wanted to spend some quality time with her friend while she was able, and have some good memories from that time.

That you weren't unduly put out by being bumped from your cruise is commendable. The OP's situation was different. Saying "get over it" is dismissive.

Perhaps realistic and cavalier? Granted the compensation was excellent. That isn't the point though. She lost the window of time in which her friend was in remission from cancer, and there is no compensating that loss. She wanted to spend some quality time with her friend while she was able, and have some good memories from that time.

That you weren't unduly put out by being bumped from your cruise is commendable. The OP's situation was different. Saying "get over it" is dismissive.

You know the OP has had some terrible injustices happen to her-but they are unrelated to the cruise line. The cruise line did not cause her family's illnesses, or her friend's cancer. Cruise lines are businesses. They have to make decisions by business, not by "heart," otherwise how could anyone be bumped off when a cruise is overbooked? I am sure most people who did not want to be bumped could come up with a sob story. Now I am NOT saying this is true of the OP, I do believe she is sincere, but how could the cruise line differentiate-since they do not know these people personally?

Now, I can understand the OP now disliking Princess and wanting to go elsewhere. I can also understand her wanting to rant. I am also empathic with her, becasue I have also been through similar situations. But why so many are taking this personal I do not understand.

I suppose those who feel Princess was unfair, can also no longer cruise Princess, but thinking that this business practice that has been going on for many years will change, well that is not going to happen. At least I hope not, otherwise our fares for cruises will be going up in cost to make up for the empty staterooms. The OP was treated very fairly.

I just do not understand how anyone could defend Princess in this example. Bumping a person seven day before the sail date? If Princess must bump someone, it should be soon after the final payments are paid. Princess had to know that this was an issue for months. Princess should keep increasing the move over options until someone takes it. IMO there is really no good business justification for bumping a passenger with all the tough final payment and cancellation clauses associated with cruises. It is amazing with what they gave the O.P. as compensation that they could have found someone willing to move over to another cruise. It makes me wonder if Princess really tried to get someone to move.

Also I cannot imagine how anyone would not be terribly disappointed to be bumped with only seven days notice.

My husband and I were bumped from a cruise. And we later learned that we were not the only ones.

When we did sail, we discovered that a major tour company books about 1/2 the ship. It's my opinion that this company called the cruise line, said we needed X number of cabins more, and X number of reserved pax got bumped.

It all worked out in the end but it was a distressing experience when it happened.

If anyone want to read more about our experience....

http://www.travelsnippetsandmore.com/2008/04/pre-trip-experience-from-hell.html

I just do not understand how anyone could defend Princess in this example. Bumping a person seven day before the sail date? ...Also I cannot imagine how anyone would not be terribly disappointed to be bumped with only seven days notice.

I totally agree. I'd be FURIOUS! Someone screwed up - Princess AU, Princess US, or perhaps the TA, or a combination of the above.

Sometimes people book their cruise when they can get away. Not everyone can change their time off work to whenever they want. I have to plan around when someone can take care of my husband and get the time off to travel. Would I be ticked...you betcha. I have to plan over a year in advanced. so please consider that others can't just leave at the drop of a hat.

BRAVO! Runamuc, Some on these boards are retired and have the ability to rescheduale at the drop of a hat. And it is those who just can't understand that even with an offer that seems generous everyone should jump at the chance to cruise. There are alot of use who work damn hard to accure the money to pay for a cruise and more importantly make time in their hectic life to "holiday". I hope all goes well with your husband and Happy Cruising in your future.:)

You know the OP has had some terrible injustices happen to her-but they are unrelated to the cruise line. The cruise line did not cause her family's illnesses, or her friend's cancer. Cruise lines are businesses. They have to make decisions by business, not by "heart," otherwise how could anyone be bumped off when a cruise is overbooked? I am sure most people who did not want to be bumped could come up with a sob story. Now I am NOT saying this is true of the OP, I do believe she is sincere, but how could the cruise line differentiate-since they do not know these people personally?

Yes, obviously the cruise line didn't cause the grief in the life of the OP. They just added to it. And as to how anyone could be bumped if the cruise line had to actually know who best to bump - then don't do it. Get volunteers, or don't overbook. It was a very generous compensation the cruise line gave. Someone who didn't have to schedule time off from work, or in a different circumstance might jump at it.

Yes, obviously the cruise line didn't cause the grief in the life of the OP. They just added to it. And as to how anyone could be bumped if the cruise line had to actually know who best to bump - then don't do it. Get volunteers, or don't overbook. It was a very generous compensation the cruise line gave. Someone who didn't have to schedule time off from work, or in a different circumstance might jump at it.

I am sure they did try to get volunteers. They only bump if no one will do it willingly. Are you will willing to pay a higher fare if cabins sail empty? That is the other side of the coin. If this practice is discontinued, the fares will go up.

BTW-all the cruiselines do this. As I said, my January 2 HAL Zuiderdam cruise was overbooked and they had to get volunteers to switch to other cruises. But, if no one had volunteered, they would have bumped people. I am not sure how they decide whom, but I hope it would be those that booked last. That would be the most fair.

As I have said, you have the right to never cruise Princess in support of the OP, if you so choose, but I don't think you will change a practice that all of the lines do.

I am sure they did try to get volunteers. They only bump if no one will do it willingly. Are you will willing to pay a higher fare if cabins sail empty? That is the other side of the coin. If this practice is discontinued, the fares will go up.

BTW-all the cruiselines do this. As I said, my January 2 HAL Zuiderdam cruise was overbooked and they had to get volunteers to switch to other cruises. But, if no one had volunteered, they would have bumped people. I am not sure how they decide whom, but I hope it would be those that booked last. That would be the most fair.

As I have said, you have the right to never cruise Princess in support of the OP, if you so choose, but I don't think you will change a practice that all of the lines do.

Possibly, we'll never know how many passengers they called before they decided to bump. And yes, I would be willing to pay more to make sure my cruise was not pulled out from under me at the last minute.

With all due respect...I don't care if "they all do it" if I were ever bumped it would be the LAST cruise with that line. There are multiple lines that do similar trips so try another. Two years ago we were returning from Hawaii and at the airport the plane was there with the crew but did not have a pilot. This was Saturday and the airline said they would get us home by WEDNESDAY. Having to go to work on Monday this was a no-go. Paid for the trip from Hell that lasted 30 hours. Suffice to say NEVER but NEVER will I fly that UN**ED airlines as long as I live. Once and out. Life is too short to get jerked around by any company.:cool:

How can people missing flights and paying an extra amount to fly on another flight (later on in the same day) possibly be compared to a once in a lifetime vacation? How can the business practices of an airline be comparable to a cruise company. The cruise company needs people on board and spending money on board / excursions. The airline just needs butts on seats to make the flight viable / profitable.....

I too agree, if they offered all the people that keep staring at a box of gold the same deal, no doubt they would have jumped at it, and the OP could have sailed as planned. I fail to see how that compensation couldn't have tempted others in less rigid circumstances to jump at the chance to bail out and free up their positions........

Overbooking doesn't keep the costs down, it keeps the profits up. BIG difference IMO.

I have absolutely no understanding for cruiselines who over book their ships and then promptly bump off passengers who have been inot cancellation from day 1. It used to be ok to over book because their main clientele base was american who can cancel up to final payment with out loosing therfore opening the door somewhat. THAT is different with those more exotic cruises because the passengers have become a more divirse mix including many who are into cancelation from the day they book thier cruise. Therefor to expect the same sort of cancellation level in plain STUPID and in the end it will upset paying passengers.

With all due respect...I don't care if "they all do it" if I were ever bumped it would be the LAST cruise with that line. There are multiple lines that do similar trips so try another. Two years ago we were returning from Hawaii and at the airport the plane was there with the crew but did not have a pilot. This was Saturday and the airline said they would get us home by WEDNESDAY. Having to go to work on Monday this was a no-go. Paid for the trip from Hell that lasted 30 hours. Suffice to say NEVER but NEVER will I fly that UN**ED airlines as long as I live. Once and out. Life is too short to get jerked around by any company.:cool:

As I previously said, you can support the OP and not cruise Princess if you so want. I do hope it never happens to you thoguh. Just as I was sorry this happened to the OP.

I still wonder how many would be willing to pay more in fares,to cover for some staterooms sailing empty, in order to prevent this.

.....aah but that is exactly the point the lines still have to "learn" that as their passenger bases diversify the number of cancellations will go down because just about all other countries they sell to have their clients into cancelation the moment they make a booking. This in turn reduces the number of late cancelations. Therefore overbooking is becoming a very serious problem..... It just isn't like the caribbean were US passengers can cancel up to the 60 day mark without loosing a substancial deposit. The lines are therefore already rolling the risk off to foreign passengers.

How can people missing flights and paying an extra amount to fly on another flight (later on in the same day) possibly be compared to a once in a lifetime vacation? How can the business practices of an airline be comparable to a cruise company. The cruise company needs people on board and spending money on board / excursions. The airline just needs butts on seats to make the flight viable / profitable.....

I too agree, if they offered all the people that keep staring at a box of gold the same deal, no doubt they would have jumped at it, and the OP could have sailed as planned. I fail to see how that compensation couldn't have tempted others in less rigid circumstances to jump at the chance to bail out and free up their positions........

Overbooking doesn't keep the costs down, it keeps the profits up. BIG difference IMO.

How are they the same? In that both are BUSINESSES out to make a PROFIT.

And yes it does effect a cruise ship if cabins are empty-they only break EVEN, when all cabins are filled. Cruise lines go into profit when PAX spend extra money on on board. So, a ship going out not full, can actually be operating at a loss, instead of a profit, if the demographics of that particular cruise turns out to be teetotalers and non gamblers who book their own excursions and never eat in specialty restaurants.

Yes, as a consumer, it would make a big dffierence to me if I was bumped off a once in a lifetime cruise, I would prefer to be bumped off a flight-UNLESS the flight was transportation to board the once in a lifetime cruise.

BTW, yes I would be willing to pay more a cruise, but I think most will not be. Statistics have shown- cruisers want to pay less and less. That is why cruises get discounted and the initial cost of a cruise is now considerably less than it was pre 9-11. (except for Oasis of the Seas) I will admit that I do love getting a balcony room for what we used to pay for an inside room, but if I had to pay more, I would still cruise.

momofmeg, can you offer hard data supporting your fact that the ships operate at a loss when less than full capacity? I for one, do not believe this. I also do not sail with Princess and I will add this to the list of reasons why. They have no business bumping passengers when passengers are paid in full. Asking for volunteers and then giving them the same offer as the OP should be the norm. Pray tell, when they have to shell out the free cabin and pay for her airfare, are they not losing $$$ also? That makes no sense to me whatsoever

Archived