Bummped from cruise

Bulldoglady

My Husband and I who live in Australia were bummped off a cruise from Bangkok to Sydney in November 2009 7 days before we were to sail.We had friends also booked who were not.We had fully paid for the cruise 3 months in advance (not sure if i am aloud to mention cruise line).

This was a major inconvience not only for the obvious reasons ,but also we had booked international and internal airfare 5 days accommodation in Phukett prior to the cruise,transferrs ect, also 4 weeks leave from work.

To soften the blow which at the time it didnt.They gave us a full refund for the cruise and as we had non refundable air fares they said they would refund this (we are still waiting for this the airlines were slow in sending letters to confirm we had cancelled our flights) although the only reason we booked the flights was so we could go on the cruise.

We were also offered a free cruise for the same length of time (18 days).

With an upgrade we originaly booked a balcany BF.

Well we have booked a cruise with them in Sep/Oct 2010 but they have given us the same cabin type

When we enquired why we havnt been given an upgrade we were told it is up to there discression.

I feel that this is very unreasonable seeing the amount of time untill the cruise sails.

Does anyone have any suggestions

My Husband and I who live in Australia were bummped off a cruise from Bangkok to Sydney in November 2009 7 days before we were to sail.We had friends also booked who were not.We had fully paid for the cruise 3 months in advance (not sure if i am aloud to mention cruise line).

This was a major inconvience not only for the obvious reasons ,but also we had booked international and internal airfare 5 days accommodation in Phukett prior to the cruise,transferrs ect, also 4 weeks leave from work.

To soften the blow which at the time it didnt.They gave us a full refund for the cruise and as we had non refundable air fares they said they would refund this (we are still waiting for this the airlines were slow in sending letters to confirm we had cancelled our flights) although the only reason we booked the flights was so we could go on the cruise.

We were also offered a free cruise for the same length of time (18 days).

With an upgrade we originaly booked a balcany BF.

Well we have booked a cruise with them in Sep/Oct 2010 but they have given us the same cabin type

When we enquired why we havnt been given an upgrade we were told it is up to there discression.

I feel that this is very unreasonable seeing the amount of time untill the cruise sails.

Does anyone have any suggestions

Sorry to hear of your 'bumping'. That sounds very strange and you tell us no reason for it. What exactly is the full story?

As to you being allowed to name the cruise line; We still have free speech here in the US (barely) and you can certainly say anything that is the truth. We even have the freedom to tell lies about others but one does run the risk of being sued and suffering criminal penalties.

Nonetheless, it sounds to me like the cruise lines was very generous in making concessions. I can imagine that it was a tremendous upset for you but it appears that you lost nothing financially. In addition, you got a FREE 18 day cruise with the upgrade. Now that is sweet and I personally would gladly suffer the inconveniences to get such a deal!

So, everything boils down to the upgrade problem. Did they tell you in writing that they would give you the upgrade? This is a pretty important question that needs to be answered before the problem can be addressed. Regardless, even if you get stiffed on the upgrade, you should still be happy with the 18 day FREE cruise. It sounds like you have been given a box of gold and are now complaining because the box isn't nice enough!:confused:

Sorry to hear of your 'bumping'. That sounds very strange and you tell us no reason for it. What exactly is the full story?

As to you being allowed to name the cruise line; We still have free speech here in the US (barely) and you can certainly say anything that is the truth. We even have the freedom to tell lies about others but one does run the risk of being sued and suffering criminal penalties.

Nonetheless, it sounds to me like the cruise lines was very generous in making concessions. I can imagine that it was a tremendous upset for you but it appears that you lost nothing financially. In addition, you got a FREE 18 day cruise with the upgrade. Now that is sweet and I personally would gladly suffer the inconveniences to get such a deal!

So, everything boils down to the upgrade problem. Did they tell you in writing that they would give you the upgrade? This is a pretty important question that needs to be answered before the problem can be addressed. Regardless, even if you get stiffed on the upgrade, you should still be happy with the 18 day FREE cruise. It sounds like you have been given a box of gold and are now complaining because the box isn't nice enough!:confused:

Sometimes people book their cruise when they can get away. Not everyone can change their time off work to whenever they want. I have to plan around when someone can take care of my husband and get the time off to travel. Would I be ticked...you betcha. I have to plan over a year in advanced. so please consider that others can't just leave at the drop of a hat.

Sometimes people book their cruise when they can get away. Not everyone can change their time off work to whenever they want. I have to plan around when someone can take care of my husband and get the time off to travel. Would I be ticked...you betcha. I have to plan over a year in advanced. so please consider that others can't just leave at the drop of a hat.

Sure it's irritating. That's life! So, how much more do you want from the cruise line to 'make it right'? How much longer are you going to be ticked? When are you going to get back to being happy? How many free cruises would it take to take away all the pain and injustice in the world?

Unfortunately life is unfair and no one can change that. What we can change is our attitude and approach to life.

I think it's best to quickly get past all those bumps and injustices in life and get on to the 'fun' things! Life is just too short to waste it stewing about what is done and probably cannot be changed.;)

The cruise line would not give us a reason we booked the cruise in Australia Princess Australia blame the USA office ,Usa Office blame Australia.Everyone i have spoken to say it is not there department and dont know why.

Aslo i do always try to look on the bright side of things.

And not that it is any of your business.

The past 3 years have been hell for my husband and i and this cruise was something major we had to look forward to.

My little grand son nearly died when he was 6weeks old,had open heart surgery was on oxygen 24 hours a day then we nearly lost him another 3 times he still has onging medical proublems,inbetween this my husbands dad died, my mum was diagnosed with terminal cancer my dad had a major heart attach and had bypass surgery,then was diagnosed with renal cancer and is now on renal diaylis.I nursed my Mum for 18 months,helped my daughter with my grandson and took care of my dad.My beauitfull mum died, my friend that we were going on the cruise with was rediagnosed with breast cancer and i was looking foward to spending some quality time with her.

So i am sorry if you think i am gready but this was the straw that broke the camels back for us when our cruise was cancelled and i think we deserve our upgrade.

The cruise line would not give us a reason we booked the cruise in Australia Princess Australia blame the USA office ,Usa Office blame Australia.Everyone i have spoken to say it is not there department and dont know why.

Aslo i do always try to look on the bright side of things.

And not that it is any of your business.

The past 3 years have been hell for my husband and i and this cruise was something major we had to look forward to.

My little grand son nearly died when he was 6weeks old,had open heart surgery was on oxygen 24 hours a day then we nearly lost him another 3 times he still has onging medical proublems,inbetween this my husbands dad died, my mum was diagnosed with terminal cancer my dad had a major heart attach and had bypass surgery,then was diagnosed with renal cancer and is now on renal diaylis.I nursed my Mum for 18 months,helped my daughter with my grandson and took care of my dad.My beauitfull mum died, my friend that we were going on the cruise with was rediagnosed with breast cancer and i was looking foward to spending some quality time with her.

So i am sorry if you think i am gready but this was the straw that broke the camels back for us when our cruise was cancelled and i think we deserve our upgrade.[/quot

Please reread my original post in which I said, "Sorry to hear of your 'bumping'". And also, "I can imagine that it was a tremendous upset for you...".

And in your original post you closed with, "Does anyone have any suggestions"?

I have offered my suggestions and you respond to me with, "And not that it is any of your business".

Dear lady, I DO understand your frustrations and my heart goes out to you for your troubles. But neither I, nor probably anyone else, can do anything to get your upgrade. It sounds like you really deserve it.

I WILL pray for you and I sincerely mean that!

God bless you.

Bulldoglady,

You say you were offered a free cruise with an upgrade, did they send you that in writing? email or otherwise?

If so then exactly what does it say? If it says that and nothing about discretion there, then you have grounds to pursue this. Otherwise, I think just take the free cruise, you still have a nice cabin.

You stand a better chance of promised upgrade if you name ship/line/cabin class. Cruiselines all read these posts. HAL or Princess?

In the absence of further info from bulldoglady may I state: 'I suspect it was Diamond Princess, November 2009, Bangkok to Sydney.'

I have never heard anyone being bumped from a cruise, flight yes, but not a cruise.

I think she got fair compo though.

OMG!!! Sorry OP, I have no suggestions for you but just have to say that I cannot believe those of you who are saying it's no big deal, shouldn't be complaining because they were offered a free cruise, full compensation, etc. Come on now - they were not given a reason for the bump, they booked this cruise - had a reservation and should've been on the cruise!!!!! It's not like the ship broke down or weather caused the cancellation. You all must be exceptional, very laid back, no worries, don't give a darn type people that you wouldn't be upset if your vacation was cancelled not of your doing and with no explanation - oh we can go 11 months later - no prob!

OMG!!! Sorry OP, I have no suggestions for you but just have to say that I cannot believe those of you who are saying it's no big deal, shouldn't be complaining because they were offered a free cruise, full compensation, etc. Come on now - they were not given a reason for the bump, they booked this cruise - had a reservation and should've been on the cruise!!!!! It's not like the ship broke down or weather caused the cancellation. You all must be exceptional, very laid back, no worries, don't give a darn type people that you wouldn't be upset if your vacation was cancelled not of your doing and with no explanation - oh we can go 11 months later - no prob!

I think you and i are the only ones who think alike on this.

They are so quick to judge others, but if the shoe was on their foot......

I "correctly" read your post, and all you were saying was you were told you were to get an upgrade and you didn't receive it. All the op is asking for, is what she was promised. I'd be pi$$ed off too, if someone said I was getting something then they changed their minds. And I'm very sure others would be too, except "their" to busy playing "judge" tonight.

Sorry for the actions of some of these people on this board.

I hope all turns out well for you.

I frequently post on on a travel site where people complain about tours being cancelled and how upsetting it was. I had thought this could not happen on a cruise. This would be horribel as changing holidays from work and other independent travel around the cruise would not always be possible. Yes they have offered great compensation but what if your work would not allow you to change holidays to accept it? I really was unaware this could happen. It would make me furious.

I hope you have something in writing stating what was promised. That is the best position to be in for sure.

I can tell you I would be upset if I was bumped from a cruise after final payment etc. We always book our own air too.

Some years ago, we booked a cruise and the TA promised us on OBC, she never gave us anything in writing though. When we made our final payment and received our tickets, etc., I still did not have anything in writing. So I questioned the TA about the OBC. She initially gave us non responsive response. I was annoyed about it but what you I do?? Nothing, I had nothing in writing. Took it as a lesson learned.

We flew off to board our cruise, had a hotel night before we boarded. So we were sitting in our hotel room and the phone rang. It was the TA, she had arranged for a upgrade to a full suite for us on the Statendam. This she did in lieu of the OBC. We were very surprised and really did enjoy the suite on our 10 day cruise.

I hope you situation has a happy ending for you.

Don't forget get things in writing, we always do.

sorry to hear of your experience. very disappointing but i hope you are not out of pocket?

if it were me i would ask for a full refund now and make a decision to travel with another company. there are plenty out there.

i have not heard of being bumped off a cruise line??

does anyone know if this is common?

i am aware airlines do it.

did you mention your friends travelled on the trip? did they enjoy it? was it full? its very strange you were bumped/excluded?

perhaps others can add some light on this.

have not done ocean cruising much lately but can highly recommend european river cruising, very relaxing and so interesting.

good luck.

I have the original email that Princess sent to my travel agent that states an upgrade if available at time of booking.

When i questioned my agent she said Princess said it is up to the "yeild department" in the USA to issue the upgrade, since yesterday she has contacted Princess Australia and they have emailed the USA to see what is happening.

I really dont want to sound like i am a selfish person i only wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions.

I most likely should not have told you all my family history but i was upset by some of the replys i got.

Sometime when i read complaints on this site they are for the most minor things.

I love life and am gratefull for my free cruise however it did not help at the time i was bumped as we were to leave Australia in 3 days and the most frustrating thing was the way i was fobed off with no reason why.

Yes my friend and her husband had a wonderfull time.

I would like to thank all of you who understand how i feel to the others you try arranging your leave from work and all your other travel arragments to be told one week before you sail you have been bumped.

Sorry my friend said it was the talk of the cruise that people had been bumped with no choice.It had not been heard of before ,She said some poor people actually turned up in Bangkok to board and were told at the time that the ship was full.

I am sorry for what you went through. I would be livid to purchase a cruise, make all the arrangements and then be told a week before that I could not go because of an overbooking situation - their error. Even without all the heartbreak and family crises you have been through.

It's cavalier to say you should just get over it. If others would have no problem this happening to them, and be happy with the compensation offered, then more power to them. My guess is it would be a whole different ball of wax if it was happening to them, and not someone else.

bulldoglady (hugs) some people just don't get it. *shakes head*

The cruise isn't about how much it cost. I say that as a non us resident who doesn't get the cheap cruises available to a us resident. if you live pretty much anywhere outside the US you have to pay mega bucks for the same cruises. BUT that's ok, as it means we don't have to live in the US :p Airfares, accommodation etc etc there is a lot of planning involved in getting yourself organised for an overseas trip. I mean seriously how often do we read here about when do you need a passport etc? A cruise OS automatically requires passports, often visas, currency exchanges etc etc

The holiday / cruise is not about what you get dollars wise, that to me is a classic example of the difference between the two countries. :) It's about the experience, the opportunity and about buying a memory and an experience.

The point is, who is going to compensate the OP for NOT having a cruise with her friend? Who is going to compensate her for missing the quality time with a friend who most likely will never get another opportunity to coordinate time together again? Who is going to compensate the OP for not having a store of beautiful relaxing happy memories of her time with her friend?

Who is going to compensate her for the much needed "light at the end of the tunnel" experience? This was something that no doubt was the rock that kept her and her husband strong and able to cope after repeated poundings from the sledgehammer of life.

Money won't cut it. Free cruises doesn't cut it. NOT to mention the cruise line is now reneging on an upgrade. They should be putting you in a suite, with a personal butler, and kissing your hand with sincere apologies. (hugs again)

Free cruise my butt. They could give me the entire ship with only my friends and family allowed on board and only then would I feel that a reasonable attempt to properly compensate me has been made. (if I was in that position) and seriously, I'd need every CEO schmuck that ruined my once in a lifetime never to be repeated opportunity on their hands n knees cleaning my toilet with their own personal toothbrush before I'd felt that the wrong had even got onto even pegging, let alone righted !!!!!!!

It's so not about the money. I just can't see how people can say dumb stuff like getting a box of gold and the box isn't pretty enough.

How about dying of thirst and some idiot gives you a box of gold when all you want is a glass of water. That's the situation here.

bulldoglady. Please don't let this stress you out any more than it has. From one aussie to another "it will all come out in the wash duck" give hubby a hug, and let what will be, be.

OMG I am due to go on my first cruise this week and if this happened to me I would be so upset. Don't listen to the negative comments you got here as it is really common. That is the part I hate about this site but sometimes you get some good information so I keep coming back. I belong to another cruise club on the web and I can tell you on that one people would be so supportive.

Try to stay strong and I hope it all works out for you.

Yes people do get "bumped" from cruises. It happened locally to the "locals" It happened several years ago when many people from this area showed up for their cruise going out of Baltimore Maryland and were told that the ship was oversold and they had been bumped! It was a big stink and was all over the tv and newspapers. The cruise line said later they bumped the "locals" because they would be the ones least impacted. Their reason was that the "locals" didn't have airline flights and hotel expenses. So yes people do get bumped.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Sorry to hear that you were bumped. Hopefully you will get everything straightened out.

HAL has oversold a few Canada/New England cruises over the years -- but from whT I understand -- everyone was contacted before the sailing dates and everything was straightened out. I didn't hear of anyone showing up at the embarkation port and told that the cruise was sold out.

This also happened to a few HAL cruises out of Tampa as well.

Being bumped from a cruise a few days before leaving that was not our choice would not make us happy either. It would help sooth the pain to have everything refunded and a free cruise for the future given once we had calmed down. Unfortuantely the phrase "an upgrade if available at the time of booking" does give the cruiseline the option of giving it or not giving it so it was never a given that an upgrade would happen no matter when you booked. Not certain which upcoming cruise you are taking so its hard to judge how sold out this cruise is at this point or not. While the cruise is still months away, many Princess cruises do sell out well in advance.

At this point I would keep my TA working toward getting that upgrade but if that did fail we'd accept that based upon the wording of the offer made to us by the cruiseline and look forward to enjoying our cruise. Good Luck!:)

Archived