Ramses Tours - New Email address

CRUISERTN

we had a great tour with Ramses in Alexandria to Cairo. A one day tour with a great driver. the rate was more then half then the cruise ship offered and also we had the convinience of a privat van where we could do anything we liked our own way. no waiting for other people in a tour bus....

a nice lunch was included in the price...

we can recommand everyone this trip!

also the communication with Ramsestours was very pleasant....

THANK YOU very much

I know some of us have had a difficult time reaching Ramses through the email address on their website or their hotmail address. They now have a new email address that seems to be working well.

Try contacting them at ramsestours@gmail.com

We also had a great tour with Ramses and I would highly recommend them to anybody. We were in Egypt on our cruise for 2 days and, due to fog, the ship arrived in port 5 hours late. Before we even met with our guide he had reorganised our tour so that we didn't miss out of anything of importance. We saw everything we had planned.

I don't have anything negative to say about Ramses - and everyone on our tour (10 adults and 3 children) loved Egypt. I spoke to plenty of other people on the ship who didn't enjoy Cairo at all... but that was certainly not the case on our excursion... we all LOVED it !!!!!!

We also toured with Ramses and they were great. Well organized, expectations clear, etc. Our driver was amazing and our guide was very good - answered all our questions, was very knowledgeable about ancient Egypt, and told us a lot about modern Egyptians as well. Less expensive than the ship's tour and we had the guide, driver, and van for just the two of us (this is a bit more expensive than arranging to go with a small group, but for us it was worth it). Even if you went with a small group with Ramses it is still way less people than the ship's tours (10 or 12 versus 35 on a huge bus). Having that interaction with the guide was important to us, rather than fighting for attention with 30 other people. Ramses communicated well by email, everything was arranged clearly, and was overall well done.

The only suggestion I have is that if your time is very limited, skip Memphis and spend more time at Giza and Sakkara. While Memphis does have a big statue of Ramses II, and a small sphinx, there is not a lot else to see, although I understand the site's significance as a former capital city of ancient Egypt. But I personally found the Sakkara and Giza sites to be much more fascinating and as such, recommend spending more time there.

Mohammed Yuseph was our guide from Ramese tours in Egypt. He was exceptional. He kept us entertained, made sure we were comfortable, was patient with the children on the tour, and answered all our questions.

We loved the hotel we stayed in, the driver did a superb job of manuvering in unbelievable traffic, and even though we were late arriving in Alexandria, we didn't miss a thing on the schedule. The fish resturaunt we were taken to was excellent. We could have skipped the Hard Rock Cafe but for the children on the tour who wanted hamburgers. They liked that so it was a good choice for them. I would highly recommend your company to anyone going to Egypt and I give 5 stars to Mohammed as a guide.

For those surfing the Africa Port Board, you will have seen a few of my posts about Ramses as we did a tour with them on our last cruise this past November.

I can't say enough good things about that day which was really memorable. It was our 2nd time in Egypt and the proposed itinerary was really great and complemented what we had seen the first time perfectly.

I planned that first tour with them with H. George using the info@ramsestours.com email address and always received prompt answers to all my questions. I understand some people had a hard time using this address, so they created a gmail account which seems to work well with most.

I am going back on a Holy Land cruise next November and this time will have 2 days in Egypt!!! I didn't hesitate a second to contact Ramses to arrange for our tours - we're still deciding on what we'll do this time, and M. Youssef has been as diligent as H George in responding and providing suggestions, answers etc.

Ramses Travel has made it very easy for everyone to get in touch with them, they are responsive and very accommodating. They promised a tour to remember and they delivered. It will be hard for them to top that experience next time!!!

MC

I organized a group of 14 for our November 30 Brilliance cruise while on Alexandria. What can I say? Ramses was the BEST!!! Georges answered my emails immediately. I was skeptical, after all they're half way around the word.

Let me tell you, Georges said I'd have the time of my life. I DID!!!! Everything was flawless. He didn't want any money up front. We paid at the end of the tour. We had a fantastic guide and driver. The first day was Cairo... museum, pyramids, khan el khalli. We felt safe and gained so much knowledge. It was nice not being herded around like cattle. We got everywhere early and missed the crowds.

The second day was Alexandria and again we missed all the cruise buses and had a spectacular day.

I loved Egypt and it was the best tour ever. I am even contemplating going back to do a Nile River Cruise. You'd better believe I'd use Ramses. They were extremely professional and I really was happy!

I agree with the previous post.....George promised us a tour of a lifetime and he did not disappoint.....we, too, are contemplating going back to Egypt one day and spending more time there and doing a Nile cruise, visiting Luxor, Valley of the Kings, etc...and would most definitely be contacting George when we do!! We have toured all over the world and our tour with Ramses in Egypt is the best tour we have ever done!! I just wish we could have spent more time there.

For years we used only the cruise line for shore excursions. Then, several years ago, after discovering Cruise Critic, and the great recommendations for private tours offered by previous cruisers, we began booking ourselves. It was liberating. Often less expensive (especially when you're sharing the cost with another couple or two) and always more relaxed and enjoyable. Thanks to all of your good comments we've booked Ramses for a tour from Port Said in July. And, thanks for the heads-up on the email changes. I've reconfirmed with George using the new address and he got right back to me.

We concur with the above poster. After so many wonderful reviews on Cruise Critic, it was an easy choice for us to decide which tour company to go with while we are in Cairo in December. From the first e-mail I sent to Ramses, George has been nothing but helpful and attentive to my endless questions and requests. I can't wait for our tour and I know that it will be fabulous. I appreciate all of the CruiseCritic members who have taken time to give such glowing reviews of Ramses because it has been a huge help for me (and others) in making our plans.

Alexandria and Cairo with Muhammed and Abdul of Ramses Tours

On December 26, 2009 we arrived in the Port of Alexandria, Egypt. First we couldn't get off the ship until 8:30. No one knows why; it had something to do with Egypt's visa requirements. When we finally got off the ship and met our guide Muhammed, he had been waiting since 7 a.m. for us (we arrived a 6 a.m. and had arranged to meet him at 7). Okay. So we go to meet our driver Abdul, get the scooter situated in the van, find out that Ramses Tour vans will go in tandem with 2 guards, which is fine with us, shut the doors, turn on the a/c, and get ready to go, only to be told that there has been a bad accident in the fog on the route to Cairo and no one can leave the port. Muhammed tells us not to worry, this is normal for Egypt. So Muhammed's friend Achmed, who is driving another Ramses van, turns up his radio, and we all (about 1000 of us) get out and mill around the parking lot until 10:45. The police come and tell us that if they don't hear that the highway is clear by 11, all overnighters are cancelled. Everyone is being remarkably patient, for which we are very thankful. At 10:55 we finally get the all clear. The vans and busses start to pull out, but the police make us all go around the circular driveway in the port twice. No one knows why, and Muhammed laughs and says it's normal for Egypt. Are you getting the idea that this will be a comedy of errors? We surely were!

It's a 3 hour drive to Cairo on a GOOD day. This is not a good day. I thought traffic in Naples was bad! hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! <- maniacal laughter. In Egypt they paint white lines on the road for decoration. The highway we were on was ostensibly 3 lanes. In reality the drivers used FIVE or SIX lanes. Muhammed told us that driving in Egypt is a contact sport of fill in the spaces. Bert and I quickly learned to watch the scenery and not the road. Abdul is a GREAT driver, and, for the sake of our hearts, we did not need to see how he did it! By the way, horn-blowing is a valid means of communication in Egypt. The traffic reminded me of the african wildebeest herds racing toward the river, and some of the horns sounded like donkeys.

So we're barreling along at about 80 mph when everyone starts braking and swerving and laying on the horns. There are SPEED BUMPS IN THE HIGHWAY!!!!!! 4 of them. Now, it's not as though these drivers did not know about the bumps - they did not appear overnight - but they all acted as though is was a big surprise and no one was prepared for it. Approximately every 60 miles or so, there is a series of speed bumps. There are also 3 separate highways in each direction, all going to the same places. Muhammed said someday they will all be one, but no one knows when that will be. "Is normal for my country", he says.

We passed the remains of the accident - a small van and a car had been squashed between 2 trucks and then hit by a third truck is what it looked like. We learned later that 17 people died in the wreck.

The trucks on the highway are of 3 main types: small pickups piled with loads that towered over the cabs by 5 or 6 feet, big, beautiful, new 18 wheelers, and scary trucks that looked like dump trucks or old farm trucks (6 to 8 wheels) filled to bursting AND hauling an equally overloaded tandem of 6 to 8 wheel size. Sometimes so many people ride in the back of a pickup that it's standing room only. Busses have no doors and never come to a full stop, and sometimes people scrounge free rides by hanging from the window openings!

Anyway, we finally arrive in Cairo and go straight to a deconsecrated mosque, the Alabaster Mosque. We had to take off our shoes to go in. Because the mosque was deconsecrated, I was permitted to watch some visitors making an offering and answering the call to prayer. They washed their heads, ears, faces, mouths, feet, and hands with water from a huge, ornate fountain in the center, then went into the chapel-sort of area to the side where they kneeled on prayer rugs and did their thing. An interesting thing about the mosque (I don't know if it applies to all mosques) is the vaulting in the ceiling is formed so that it magnifies sound, and a whisper can be easily heard across the room. That made it somewhat noisy!

On to the Museum of Antiquities, where I am absolutely "gobsmacked" by the wealth of ancient history. Muhammed is an excellent guide (he has degrees in Egyptology and fine arts), and we gain a real understanding of what the various forms in Egyptian art and ornament mean. We also start to understand the history of King Tutankhamun and his family. The King Tut artifacts are mind-boggling. What is more mind boggling is the fact that these flimsy wooden and glass cases are locked with twisted wires and luggage locks and there is no climate control. Of course, there are armed guards at every doorway, so security is not really in question. It is truly wonderful to see things that are 4 to 7 THOUSAND years old and view the skill, delicacy, and sheer talent that went into the making.

By this time it's 6:30, the museum is closing, and Bert and I are absolutely ragged. We let Muhammed talk us into the Sound and Light Show at the pyramids, which is very near our hotel. It is utterly ridiculous. Great booming music, Omar Sharif's voice, and a laser light show demonstrating an infantile view of Egyptian history. The perspective of our view and the dramatic lighting had Bert convinced that the sphinx was a Disney-esque copy, which everyone thought was hysterical, and he wasn't truly convinced until we went back the next day.

After the show we went to our hotel, Mena House. WOW!! By far the nicest hotel I've ever been in. It's a 5 star luxury hotel, where everything, including bathrobes and slippers, are included with the room, which Hilton would call a suite. You can't move without someone in a uniform and gloves rushing over to help you. We had dinner in their dining room, where we ran into another couple from the ship. We had a nice dinner with them, and called it a night.

In the morning we had breakfast (included), again with the same couple (EXCELLENT coffee) from the ship, met Muhammed at 7:30, and headed to the pyramid and building complex of Saqhara in the fog. It was absolutely brilliant. The complex was huge, covering some 80 acres. It included a colesseum (sp?) in which, every 10 years, King Zoser demonstrated his fitness to rule by battling and slaying a wild beast, such as a lion or a bull. Never mind that the animal was drugged and the columns within the arena were placed so that the king could get between them but the animal couldn't! Like shooting fish in a barrel. Here also is the stepped pyramid, which was not meant to be a pyramid at all. After his triumph in the arena King Zoser built a "masaba" to commemorate the occasion. He ruled for an unprecedented 60 years, so there are 6 masabas built atop one another.

Then we went to see the bent pyramid, which, again, was never meant to be just a pyramid. It started with a masaba like Zoser's, but when the king died relatively young, a pyramid was built on top of his masaba as his tomb. This was possibly the first deliberate pyramid built, and the bent sides are not evidence of an error in calculation, but the result of joining a pyramid and a masaba.

On to the great plateau of Giza. Bert finally concedes that yes, that IS the real sphinx, and he wants us to "get married" again in front of it. Muhammed officiates. He puts a pebble in each of our hands, joins them, covers them with a cloth, and says something in Arabic over our hands which ends with the word "habibi", which he has told us means sweetheart.

We went to each of the 3 great pyramids in turn. In front of Amenhotep's pyramid I had a ride on a camel, which was bizarre, and we got a few good pictures of that. The camel's name was Michael Jordan. He stank and he made a lot of noise about everything. When the ride was over I scratched his ears while he bawled at the top of his lungs about his horrible life to me.

Everywhere we went the peddlers were a p.i.t.a., but they are also not stupid, and they know what they look and sound like to tourists. They generally have a pretty good attitude toward us, and will continue chatting and joking around with you even though it's been made quite clear that they're not getting any money out of you. Bert got annoyed once and yelled " go away" at a couple of them. One of them turned away and then turned back and said "I give you 20 camels for this woman", pointing to me. We all cracked up & they went off to bug other tourists. You know, I don't know what was really going on, but I do know that everyone in Egypt that I had any interaction with was friendly and respectful. They all seem to be quite happy to be asked respectful questions, and will really make an effort to give you a good answer.

Around noon we went for a real Egyptian lunch, as I had requested when I made the reservation. We were served a big bowl of pita bread with an assortment of things to eat with it, such as falafel and tahini - 7 different small dishes in all. The way to eat it is to break off a piece of pita and use it to scoop up some of a dish and roll it up and eat it. No utensils for this dish, which Muhammed called salad, with the accent on the 2nd syllable. The rest of the meal was kabob, consisting of lamb, lamb sausage, and chicken. NOT on a stick, but tossed and grilled together. Dessert was something Muhammed said could only be gotten in Egypt and was made with boiled milk. Sure tasted like custard to me, and looked like creme brulee.

After lunch it was time to start heading back to Alexandria. Bert and I both dozed on the ride back, in spite of the "interesting" driving habits of the Egyptians; we were both pretty worn out and ready to be done with the tour. Abdul made a couple of very minor detours in Alexandria which took us past the new Library of Alexandria, built on the site of the famous library of Alexandria's golden age. They are trying to get EVERYTHING in it, and are now only surpassed by the U.S. Library of Congress. It was designed by the same architect who did the Sydney Opera House in Australia and looks equally weird and beautiful. His other detour took us to the side of the harbor that we wouldn't see from the ship where the famous lighthouse of antiquity stood at the end of a breakwater and where the ancient city is now under 40 feet of water.

We got back to the ship by 5 p.m., settled up with Muhammed and Abdullah, and boarded the Jade.

Muhammed was one of the best guides we have ever had. He was happy to explain everything we saw, and answered all our questions nicely, even the really dumb ones! Abdul was a MASTERFUL driver. Just brilliant. Ramses should be very proud of these two men. They are real assets to the company.

Alexandria and Cairo with Muhammed and Abdul of Ramses Tours

On December 26, 2009 we arrived in the Port of Alexandria, Egypt. First we couldn't get off the ship until 8:30. No one knows why; it had something to do with Egypt's visa requirements. When we finally got off the ship and met our guide Muhammed, he had been waiting since 7 a.m. for us (we arrived a 6 a.m. and had arranged to meet him at 7). Okay. So we go to meet our driver Abdul, get the scooter situated in the van, find out that Ramses Tour vans will go in tandem with 2 guards, which is fine with us, shut the doors, turn on the a/c, and get ready to go, only to be told that there has been a bad accident in the fog on the route to Cairo and no one can leave the port. Muhammed tells us not to worry, this is normal for Egypt. So Muhammed's friend Achmed, who is driving another Ramses van, turns up his radio, and we all (about 1000 of us) get out and mill around the parking lot until 10:45. The police come and tell us that if they don't hear that the highway is clear by 11, all overnighters are cancelled. Everyone is being remarkably patient, for which we are very thankful. At 10:55 we finally get the all clear. The vans and busses start to pull out, but the police make us all go around the circular driveway in the port twice. No one knows why, and Muhammed laughs and says it's normal for Egypt. Are you getting the idea that this will be a comedy of errors? We surely were!

It's a 3 hour drive to Cairo on a GOOD day. This is not a good day. I thought traffic in Naples was bad! hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! <- maniacal laughter. In Egypt they paint white lines on the road for decoration. The highway we were on was ostensibly 3 lanes. In reality the drivers used FIVE or SIX lanes. Muhammed told us that driving in Egypt is a contact sport of fill in the spaces. Bert and I quickly learned to watch the scenery and not the road. Abdul is a GREAT driver, and, for the sake of our hearts, we did not need to see how he did it! By the way, horn-blowing is a valid means of communication in Egypt. The traffic reminded me of the african wildebeest herds racing toward the river, and some of the horns sounded like donkeys.

So we're barreling along at about 80 mph when everyone starts braking and swerving and laying on the horns. There are SPEED BUMPS IN THE HIGHWAY!!!!!! 4 of them. Now, it's not as though these drivers did not know about the bumps - they did not appear overnight - but they all acted as though is was a big surprise and no one was prepared for it. Approximately every 60 miles or so, there is a series of speed bumps. There are also 3 separate highways in each direction, all going to the same places. Muhammed said someday they will all be one, but no one knows when that will be. "Is normal for my country", he says.

We passed the remains of the accident - a small van and a car had been squashed between 2 trucks and then hit by a third truck is what it looked like. We learned later that 17 people died in the wreck.

The trucks on the highway are of 3 main types: small pickups piled with loads that towered over the cabs by 5 or 6 feet, big, beautiful, new 18 wheelers, and scary trucks that looked like dump trucks or old farm trucks (6 to 8 wheels) filled to bursting AND hauling an equally overloaded tandem of 6 to 8 wheel size. Sometimes so many people ride in the back of a pickup that it's standing room only. Busses have no doors and never come to a full stop, and sometimes people scrounge free rides by hanging from the window openings!

Anyway, we finally arrive in Cairo and go straight to a deconsecrated mosque, the Alabaster Mosque. We had to take off our shoes to go in. Because the mosque was deconsecrated, I was permitted to watch some visitors making an offering and answering the call to prayer. They washed their heads, ears, faces, mouths, feet, and hands with water from a huge, ornate fountain in the center, then went into the chapel-sort of area to the side where they kneeled on prayer rugs and did their thing. An interesting thing about the mosque (I don't know if it applies to all mosques) is the vaulting in the ceiling is formed so that it magnifies sound, and a whisper can be easily heard across the room. That made it somewhat noisy!

On to the Museum of Antiquities, where I am absolutely "gobsmacked" by the wealth of ancient history. Muhammed is an excellent guide (he has degrees in Egyptology and fine arts), and we gain a real understanding of what the various forms in Egyptian art and ornament mean. We also start to understand the history of King Tutankhamun and his family. The King Tut artifacts are mind-boggling. What is more mind boggling is the fact that these flimsy wooden and glass cases are locked with twisted wires and luggage locks and there is no climate control. Of course, there are armed guards at every doorway, so security is not really in question. It is truly wonderful to see things that are 4 to 7 THOUSAND years old and view the skill, delicacy, and sheer talent that went into the making.

By this time it's 6:30, the museum is closing, and Bert and I are absolutely ragged. We let Muhammed talk us into the Sound and Light Show at the pyramids, which is very near our hotel. It is utterly ridiculous. Great booming music, Omar Sharif's voice, and a laser light show demonstrating an infantile view of Egyptian history. The perspective of our view and the dramatic lighting had Bert convinced that the sphinx was a Disney-esque copy, which everyone thought was hysterical, and he wasn't truly convinced until we went back the next day.

After the show we went to our hotel, Mena House. WOW!! By far the nicest hotel I've ever been in. It's a 5 star luxury hotel, where everything, including bathrobes and slippers, are included with the room, which Hilton would call a suite. You can't move without someone in a uniform and gloves rushing over to help you. We had dinner in their dining room, where we ran into another couple from the ship. We had a nice dinner with them, and called it a night.

In the morning we had breakfast (included), again with the same couple (EXCELLENT coffee) from the ship, met Muhammed at 7:30, and headed to the pyramid and building complex of Saqhara in the fog. It was absolutely brilliant. The complex was huge, covering some 80 acres. It included a colesseum (sp?) in which, every 10 years, King Zoser demonstrated his fitness to rule by battling and slaying a wild beast, such as a lion or a bull. Never mind that the animal was drugged and the columns within the arena were placed so that the king could get between them but the animal couldn't! Like shooting fish in a barrel. Here also is the stepped pyramid, which was not meant to be a pyramid at all. After his triumph in the arena King Zoser built a "masaba" to commemorate the occasion. He ruled for an unprecedented 60 years, so there are 6 masabas built atop one another.

Then we went to see the bent pyramid, which, again, was never meant to be just a pyramid. It started with a masaba like Zoser's, but when the king died relatively young, a pyramid was built on top of his masaba as his tomb. This was possibly the first deliberate pyramid built, and the bent sides are not evidence of an error in calculation, but the result of joining a pyramid and a masaba.

On to the great plateau of Giza. Bert finally concedes that yes, that IS the real sphinx, and he wants us to "get married" again in front of it. Muhammed officiates. He puts a pebble in each of our hands, joins them, covers them with a cloth, and says something in Arabic over our hands which ends with the word "habibi", which he has told us means sweetheart.

We went to each of the 3 great pyramids in turn. In front of Amenhotep's pyramid I had a ride on a camel, which was bizarre, and we got a few good pictures of that. The camel's name was Michael Jordan. He stank and he made a lot of noise about everything. When the ride was over I scratched his ears while he bawled at the top of his lungs about his horrible life to me.

Everywhere we went the peddlers were a p.i.t.a., but they are also not stupid, and they know what they look and sound like to tourists. They generally have a pretty good attitude toward us, and will continue chatting and joking around with you even though it's been made quite clear that they're not getting any money out of you. Bert got annoyed once and yelled " go away" at a couple of them. One of them turned away and then turned back and said "I give you 20 camels for this woman", pointing to me. We all cracked up & they went off to bug other tourists. You know, I don't know what was really going on, but I do know that everyone in Egypt that I had any interaction with was friendly and respectful. They all seem to be quite happy to be asked respectful questions, and will really make an effort to give you a good answer.

Around noon we went for a real Egyptian lunch, as I had requested when I made the reservation. We were served a big bowl of pita bread with an assortment of things to eat with it, such as falafel and tahini - 7 different small dishes in all. The way to eat it is to break off a piece of pita and use it to scoop up some of a dish and roll it up and eat it. No utensils for this dish, which Muhammed called salad, with the accent on the 2nd syllable. The rest of the meal was kabob, consisting of lamb, lamb sausage, and chicken. NOT on a stick, but tossed and grilled together. Dessert was something Muhammed said could only be gotten in Egypt and was made with boiled milk. Sure tasted like custard to me, and looked like creme brulee.

After lunch it was time to start heading back to Alexandria. Bert and I both dozed on the ride back, in spite of the "interesting" driving habits of the Egyptians; we were both pretty worn out and ready to be done with the tour. Abdul made a couple of very minor detours in Alexandria which took us past the new Library of Alexandria, built on the site of the famous library of Alexandria's golden age. They are trying to get EVERYTHING in it, and are now only surpassed by the U.S. Library of Congress. It was designed by the same architect who did the Sydney Opera House in Australia and looks equally weird and beautiful. His other detour took us to the side of the harbor that we wouldn't see from the ship where the famous lighthouse of antiquity stood at the end of a breakwater and where the ancient city is now under 40 feet of water.

We got back to the ship by 5 p.m., settled up with Muhammed and Abdullah, and boarded the Jade.

Muhammed was one of the best guides we have ever had. He was happy to explain everything we saw, and answered all our questions nicely, even the really dumb ones! Abdul was a MASTERFUL driver. Just brilliant. Ramses should be very proud of these two men. They are real assets to the company.

Great review - very colorful. We are going next Oct. Is this also a "foggy" time? Our ship doesn't arrive into Alexandria until 10am. Late start for us. Do you remember the restaurant you ate lunch in? We are concerned about complaints of people getting sick eating out in Cairo - since you didn't get sick - I'd like to eat where you did. You can email me the name...it's in my signature line. Thanks so much!

I found Ramses tours on Cruise Critic and we were not disappointed. I organized a tour for 8 of us with Ramses for the pyramids and Alexandria. The guide and driver were exceptional. They got us to our destination safely and promptly and we were able to see and do everything on our agenda. We had other people on the cruise ship wanting to join our tour when they found out what we paid compared to the cruise ship price but unfortunately they were unable to cancel their tour with the ship. Thank you again Ramses and George for all your help in planning this trip of a life time!!!

Kim Miller

We just booked a cruise for next January with an overnight stop in Alexandria. From what I've read on cc, Ramses tours is excellent for a small group. We're trying to decide if it makes more sense to do an overnight tour or 2 day tours. Any comments on additional sightseeing benefits and comparison of costs, etc. Please confirm if the port in Alexandria is a 3 hour ride to Cairo, pyramids, etc. Thanks

We just booked a cruise for next January with an overnight stop in Alexandria. From what I've read on cc, Ramses tours is excellent for a small group. We're trying to decide if it makes more sense to do an overnight tour or 2 day tours. Any comments on additional sightseeing benefits and comparison of costs, etc. Please confirm if the port in Alexandria is a 3 hour ride to Cairo, pyramids, etc. Thanks

It is a 2-1/2 to 3 hour drive from Alexandria to Cairo. I started out thinking that we would do a one-day, but the more research I did here, I saw that it made much more sense to do an overnight. One of the big benefits is that you are already there the next morning and we beat the crowds to the pyramids, which made it an even more amazing experience. Also, then you can enjoy an evening activity or two - a visit to the bazaar, felucca ride, Sound & Light show, etc. I figured we were only going to be in Egypt this once, so to take advantage of it (now, of course, we want to go back for a longer stay). We were with Moustafa tours and the cost for our private tour for just our family including hotel with pyramid view was less than taking the ship tour on one of the huge busses. The people on our roll call who formed small groups for their tours paid even less.

We also went in January and it couldn't have been more perfect. Beautiful weather and smaller crowds.

Best,

Mia

thanks Kerry's Girls; By any chance do you still have Moustafa's web site and do you remember the costs?

It's moustafaegypttours.com . I don't remember exactly because there are so many variables, but we paid about $325 per adult for a private tour (just my family). My twin 5 year olds were free. Members of my roll call paid substantially less - like $180 - by forming groups of 10 or 12 (and there were quite a few groups because so many wanted to do a private group tour, they were able to form like-minded groups who wanted to do similar things).

Best,

Mia

Great review - very colorful. We are going next Oct. Is this also a "foggy" time? Our ship doesn't arrive into Alexandria until 10am. Late start for us. Do you remember the restaurant you ate lunch in? We are concerned about complaints of people getting sick eating out in Cairo - since you didn't get sick - I'd like to eat where you did. You can email me the name...it's in my signature line. Thanks so much!

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what the name of the restaurant was. If you use Ramses, I'm sure you can ask for the place with all the walls covered in seashells.

The fog was very unusual, I believe, but the whole planet had weird weather in Dec. this year, so I wouldn't expect it to normally be foggy in Oct.

As far as getting sick in Egypt..... Only drink bottled water, never tap water. Do not use ice, as it is made with tap water. Do not eat uncooked food, such as raw seafood or salad, which will have been washed in tap water. Do not eat anything from a street vendor. Wash your hands often and use hand sanitizer.

It's not necessarily that the food and water are bad, it's that your body is not used to the bacterias that are common in Egypt. Don't think you have an iron constitution and your tummy can handle it. It CAN'T, and the gastroenteritis that a few people WILL get will prove it. Be sensible and you'll be fine.

Spike

Just back from the Jade. We were delayed for 5 hours by the port authorities. Ramses tours (Youseff was our guide) did a great job in trying to make sure we saw everything. The only thing we missed was the bazaar. Hats off to a great company!

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what the name of the restaurant was. If you use Ramses, I'm sure you can ask for the place with all the walls covered in seashells.

The fog was very unusual, I believe, but the whole planet had weird weather in Dec. this year, so I wouldn't expect it to normally be foggy in Oct.

As far as getting sick in Egypt..... Only drink bottled water, never tap water. Do not use ice, as it is made with tap water. Do not eat uncooked food, such as raw seafood or salad, which will have been washed in tap water. Do not eat anything from a street vendor. Wash your hands often and use hand sanitizer.

It's not necessarily that the food and water are bad, it's that your body is not used to the bacterias that are common in Egypt. Don't think you have an iron constitution and your tummy can handle it. It CAN'T, and the gastroenteritis that a few people WILL get will prove it. Be sensible and you'll be fine.

Spike

Thanks Spike. I wrote to Ramses to ask what the name of the restaurant is. I am VERY careful - I even taught my clumsy self how to walk down the ships stairways without touching the railing, since this is the biggest place to get germs...but yet, the last three trips, I have come home sick. I left the ship on Jan 9, and after flying 3 hrs, going through customs, changing planes, I got sick just after taking my seat. Ran a fever with chills - just miserable the next 4.5 hr flight and sick for 2 weeks...ugh - I must have a weak immune system. Need to boost it up before Oct.

Thanks Spike. I wrote to Ramses to ask what the name of the restaurant is. I am VERY careful - I even taught my clumsy self how to walk down the ships stairways without touching the railing, since this is the biggest place to get germs...but yet, the last three trips, I have come home sick. I left the ship on Jan 9, and after flying 3 hrs, going through customs, changing planes, I got sick just after taking my seat. Ran a fever with chills - just miserable the next 4.5 hr flight and sick for 2 weeks...ugh - I must have a weak immune system. Need to boost it up before Oct.

Yeah, it's the hands thing every time. I'm willing to bet that, if you think about it, you touch your face or rub your chin or nose or eyes frequently. If that's a lifelong habit, the only thing that will save you is hand sanitizer EVERY time you touch something that others will touch, and then it's iffy, because only people with severe OCD will be THAT careful about hand sanitizing! Also, it usually takes at least 8 to 12 hours for a bug to start buggin' ya, so it's possible that the dirty railing you touched yesterday got you today.

Personally, I use hand sanitizer every time I go from one place to another (touching walls, railings, doorknobs, etc.), I never use the public restrooms, and I'm not afraid to use my hand sanitizer on armrests, tray tables, and tables.

Spike

After reading all the raving reviews about Ramses Tours on this Board, I booked with George when he confirmed he could meet my special needs. To my surprise, my party was met by a young female guide who said she had not received any communication from Ramses about my special needs, and that she was an independent guide who contracted with various tour companies. She said Ramses actually contracts with 25 independent guides.

The two days we spent with her in Egypt were very disappointing. She spent much of her time telling us about history and dates and showed no interest in pointing out things and explaining about the things we saw around the route. One experienced traveler in our group felt she was also providing some misinformation. She spent so much time keeping us as a group to tell us history that we did not have time to cover very many sites. She walked way ahead of the group, making it impossible to ask her questions as we walk along. Worst of all, despite my telling her that I have difficulty with mobility several times, she continued to walk fast. It was a hardship to try to walk fast to keep up with her.

It was a learning experience. I did not know that the guides were not directly employed by Ramses. So, it was a matter of luck of the draw. I hope others will not encounter such a problem.

I plan to write to George at Ramses and let him know of my dissatisfaction and see what his response will be.

We had a very positive experience with Ramses and would highly recommend them. I would recommend that you go over everything with your guide before leaving the port to make sure everyone knows what the plan will be for the two days....if there are any problems or concerns, get them worked out before you leave the ship, and if you have a concern along the way, tell your guide that you would like to speak with George right away. There is a 24 hour number posted on their website and the guides are able to reach him all the time. I heard one time from someone prior to my booking with George that there was a bit of confusion about the particular hotel during one of the overnight tours......the clients thought it was going to be one place and the guide went to another....they got George on the phone and he immediately straightened out the confusion and the guide immediately took them to the hotel where the client was originally told they were staying, and just for the confusion and inconvenience and having to call him he offered the clients a full refund....of course they did not take it and said the tour was wonderful.....I think that shows his integrity and commitment to customer satisfaction. We are all only human and there may be little snags every now and then, but we had a fabulous time and I would highly recommend Ramses. We are veteran world travelers and had one of the most incredible tours ever with Ramses!! He promised a tour of a lifetime and he certainly lived up to his promise.

Just back from the Jade and my 2 day tour with Ramses was WONDERFUL! What made it even more special was how our guide, Youseff, was able to take us to everything we wanted to see in spite of being delayed 5 hours in getting off of the ship. You can imagine how upset we were that the Egyptian port authorities did not clear our ship until past 12 after we docked at 7 am. ALthough we may not have been able to linger at some of the sights, Youseff worked out an itinerary that allowed us to see everything except for the bazaar. I am extremely pleased and would highly recommend this company to anyone.

Archived