Thank Goodness We Bought Insurance!!!

Ithocles

We fly out of Tulsa Friday morning for our cruise on the Carnival Liberty which leaves Saturday. Our weather forecast keeps getting worse, with the latest being 1/4" to 1/2" ice Thursday morning followed by 6" to 12" of snow Thursday afternoon and evening, tapering off early Friday. I hope things still go smoothly, but the fact that we have insurance helps to put my mind at ease. That, and the fact we are flying out a day early. I'm glad I took the advice I found on here and bought insurance!!!!

Now that you know about potential weather issues, you may want to go even earlier. Many airlines waive change fees when there is a possibility that flight schedules could be significantly impacted by weather events as they want to get more people out EARLY than have to deal with the aftermath.

I also agree with leaving now, or at least before the storm hits. Here's why:

A few days before we were to leave (flying) for our Christmas Cruise, our area (and the east coast) got a pretty hefty snow and ice storm. We saw the forecasts and had that "gut" feeling that this was not a good thing for our flights. Within 12 hours, we made the decision to "get out of Dodge" early and scrambled to do so. We opted to drive but I was able to cancel our reservations and get a credit for later flights through Expedia. We left our home the next morning just as the snowflakes began to fall.... it was tricky going for an hour or so.... but we got out.

For us, EVEN THOUGH WE HAD INSURANCE, getting to enjoy our cruise was paramount. I knew that the flights would be at great risk and I was right... they were both canceled. Had we waited, we probably would had missed the cruise. At the least, we would have been highly stressed out trying to get to the port. Yes, I would have preferred to fly but driving 9 hours was the best insurance that we would enjoy our trip! Bless money ever spent and still glad we had insurance.

We fly out of Tulsa Friday morning for our cruise on the Carnival Liberty which leaves Saturday. Our weather forecast keeps getting worse, with the latest being 1/4" to 1/2" ice Thursday morning followed by 6" to 12" of snow Thursday afternoon and evening, tapering off early Friday. I hope things still go smoothly, but the fact that we have insurance helps to put my mind at ease. That, and the fact we are flying out a day early. I'm glad I took the advice I found on here and bought insurance!!!!

Let's say you get snowed in and miss the departure of the cruise.

Are you really sure that your insurance will do you any good?

Not trying to be a Negitive Nellie here but, you still have to attempt to meet the cruise ship somewhere. Plus all the expenses are out of pocket until you return and can file claims. Plus, if you don't have a passport, you're not catching the ship.

I wish we could leave now. While I have paid leave time left, my partner has maxed out his vacation leave for the cruise. We couldn't leave now, and since it would take over 24 hours to drive, we'd have to leave real soon. That is if we were to try to miss the storm by car as well as by plane. We'll have to hope we can get out Friday morning, or soon thereafter. If we are delayed, I'll definitely be on the phone with the insurance company. With the encouragement I've received, I may go ahead and call them tomorrow.

The've been forcasting "winter weather" here in Arkansas for the last few days :eek: (coming in on Thursday night and Friday).

As you know, everything comes to a screeching halt for ice, snow, etc., in OK and in AR.

If there's any possible way I'd suggest you leave OK on Thursday afternoon. If not, bless your heart's, I wish you luck :) and hope that you have a wonderful cruise.

I'm not sure that insurance will cover your situation but, hopefully, it will if it comes down to it!

We'd all love to hear from you after you're on the ship or when you get back home. It will be a "lesson" to other cruiser's and great info for all of us ;).

If we were going to miss the weather, we would have to leave this afternoon. We were going to try to arrange to leave this evening, but the cost is $360 fare difference and $150 change fee. Ouch! We couldn't afford it. They haven't issues the stump warning...if that is the term...to allow for no fees in changes. And the last flight out is 3:30 p.m., which we couldn't make. Ugh.

I keep hoping that everything will work out Friday morning. As long as I get to Miami and onto the Liberty by 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, I'll be okay. Once I get on the ship, it will all be good.

We are still toying with the idea of driving to Dallas this evening, but will wait until this afternoon to make that decision. I'll make sure and update on what happens!

Good thing he left; we are sooo iced in. Gotta love Oklahoma weather.

Most definitely. Not as bad in Tulsa as OKC and other parts of the state, but all flights this morning were cancelled. It is really starting to snow here. I'm betting they will continue to cancel flights this afternoon.

Just wondering...Op said they were driving to Dallas to catch their connecting flight. But I thought if you didn't show up for the first leg, your flight would be canceled? I hope they let the airline know their intent, and that they made out okay.

I was thinking the exact same thing as you. Hopefully, everything is good.

Joanne

I was thinking the exact same thing as you. Hopefully, everything is good.

Joanne

Oh you are right! I hope they did. Surely they did or she would be back on letting us know! Or at least I am going to think that and assume they are in Tampa (I think that's where they were heading).

Archived