Five Inaugural cruises/Marina

hulamoon

What does this mean exactly that there are five inaugural cruises?

Just think of it as the Marinas:

1. first Westbound Atlantic Crossing
  2. first Westbound transit of the Panama Canal
  3. first Eastbound transit of the Panama Canal
  4. first Caribbean Cruise
  5. first Eastbound Atlantic Crossing

We're booked on the second of these cruises, which we have dubbed, "The Not so Maiden Voyage".

With an eye to the future, there are bound to be further "Inaugurals" as the ship visits more areas of the World that are new to her.

Some of you may remember that we predicted that this ship would be a maiden longer than Doris Day (who is finally getting an honorary Oscar, this year!).

dorisdf.jpg

After all the money her films earned for Hollywood, it is about time.

Well, all right... I wondered if there would be something ceremonial or an extra party.

Not that we need an extra party because our roll call is celebrating every day.

I agree! Doris needs an Oscar! Is the ship getting a godmother? Doris?

I will have to change my signature to the 5th inaugural cruise. lol

And the 5th inaugural cruise also gets 3 inaugural ports for Oceania. Whoohooo

Whenever the Marina enters a port for the first time, there will be all sorts of ceremonies and festivities.

fireboat01-512x339.jpg

For our last maiden Voyage (Hals Noordam), The ship had sailed empty TransAtlantic, and was Christened in NYC. Actress Marlee Maitlin did the honors, by pouring champagne over the ships bell

pressnoordam2.JPG Then we sailed. At each port, the mayor or the governor would come out to meet the ship and present her with a plaque, to commemorate Noordams first visit.

On HAL they designate one of the stairways to display all of the plaques and awards that the ship is given. I wonder where they will be on the Marina?

Thanks for sharing the pictures! We saw those firefighting, water squirting boats in Lisbon and Rotterdam last year. I bet they will be beautiful in SF and NYC!

I wonder if we will see the appalachian trail governor! Sorry his name escapes me.

StanandJim: Anyword on a christening ceremony? Before the Maiden voyage in Barcelona or after the TA in Miami?

Some shiplines have a formal christening ceremony with invited guests and officials like the HAL Eurodam which was christened in Rotterdam with all the hoopla. They had a package you could purchase to attend the ceremony then, sail on the Maiden voyage.

Thanks for sharing the pictures! We saw those firefighting, water squirting boats in Lisbon and Rotterdam last year. I bet they will be beautiful in SF and NYC!

I wonder if we will see the appalachian trail governor! Sorry his name escapes me.

Gov. Sanford of South Carolina

Thanks Seafare, I should have remembered his name. Our cruise is so far away there may be an election before we arrive.

StanandJim are you nominating Doris as godmother? Maybe we should send in suggestions.

Just think of it as the Marinas:

1. first Westbound Atlantic Crossing
  2. first Westbound transit of the Panama Canal
  3. first Eastbound transit of the Panama Canal
  4. first Caribbean Cruise
  5. first Eastbound Atlantic Crossing

We're booked on the second of these cruises, which we have dubbed, "The Not so Maiden Voyage".

With an eye to the future, there are bound to be further "Inaugurals" as the ship visits more areas of the World that are new to her.

Some of you may remember that we predicted that this ship would be a maiden longer than Doris Day (who is finally getting an honorary Oscar, this year!).

dorisdf.jpg

After all the money her films earned for Hollywood, it is about time.

One of my favorite people in Hollywood! And I'm wondering if she will be there to accept the award???...she is pretty reclusive, I believe?? LuAnn

Well, this is exciting. I'm on the Inaugural Westbound TA to Miami.....and I'm sure hoping for something to happen.

Last November, we were aboard Carnival Dream for her Inaugural entrance to New York City from Civiteveccia.....and nothing.....we arrived at 4am to nothing!! I was out on deck at that time to see the Lady all lit up and to watch our entrance....could hardly believe that they'd schedule our arrival at such a time!!

There was the naming ceremony, etc...later that day...but no invite for the passengers.

Sort of took the wind out of our sails...so to speak....:p

Let's hope for something better in Miami on Marina !!!

Joyce :D

I think it was HAL who had a contest to choose a godmother for a new ship. They picked a lady who had been a foster mother to hundreds of special needs children over the years, and adopted several of them. She can sail on 'her' ship free for the rest of her life, though I can't imagine she has much time for that. She also won a nice cash gift to the charity of her choice. Lots of free publicity for the cruise line (today show, etc) and a noble godmother for the new ship.

Given that, I agree Doris Day has never received the recognition she deserves, and would make a wonderful godmother, as long as she promises not to hold up the buffet line as some senior seniors do... : )

Archived