EZ-CHECK - the good, the bad and the ugly

KyRoamer

EZ-CHECK is where you pay $20 and Princess will take up to two bags from you and check it through with certain airlines to your final destination. In addition to the $20, you will be charged all airline baggage fees.

The good -- It works!!! And the bonus is that the ship prints your boarding passes for you.

Luggage out the night before and not seen again until you reach your home airport. No luggage to get off the ship, drag through customs (if debarking at a US Port), Drag to the airport, check at the airport, etc.

Worked like a charm for us from FLL to SDF via ATL. Bad weather in ATL was causing some flights to cancel and we were placed on an earlier flight, but not our bags. The later flight where a bit late did get to Atlanta with our bags and they were on our SDF flight with us.

That's the good. The bad was having to surrender the bags before dinner (although they said if out by 8 pm or so, we'd likely have no problem). We had large toiletry items and had to check our tooth paste, etc. Saved a squeeze in a cup lid so that was no big problem.

Also bad is that we were given no luggage claim checks. We used a special Princess tag with no tear off number for us that only showed first flight. We were told that the bags would be airline tagged to the final destination and they were.

When we got to the airport, we asked at Delta's Sky Club about our bags. They said that the tag numbers were now a part of our record and if needed could be looked up. I copied down the numbers just in case but did not need them.

So really not much bad.

Now for the UGLY. As a Delta elite there was to be no baggage charge for me or anyone traveling to the same reservation. I was not charged as the elite status showed on my boarding pass. My wife was charged $50 for two bags.

We caught this and went to the desk to have it reversed. They refused saying it was a Delta issue. We were told to ask delta for the refund.

Delta said they know better and did not charge the $50. As a result they never got the money from the ship. They said Princess does this extra charge often.

We wrote Princess and they demanded we get evidence from Delta that the charge was improper. I told them no way was I wasting time when it was a standard industry practice. Suggested that they could check it out or make a good will refund or I would contest the bill with American ExpressThey said they made the good will refund and I would see the credit in two to three billing cycles.

I wonder if this is poor training at Princess or deliberate hoping that people will let them keep the money as the airline will never bill them. Based on Delta's saying it was frequent I really wonder if it is deliberate. A few $50 rip-offs can amount to a lot of money.

Oh well, the LAX-FLL cruise via the Panama Canal (Jan 6) was fabulous. We have no complaints at all. Had a couple of periods of high wind, but watching the white caps in the pool was interesting. Seems such a shame that Princess pulled this baggage charge stunt at the end. Hope they will train there people better.

Other thing to keep in mind if you plan to use EZ check. It does not apply to all airports! For example, in Los Angeles, you have to be flying out of LAX to use it. They do not offer it to Long Beach (a small airport but closer to the pier) and Orange County airports.

So make back up plans if you are not absolutely certain they will offer EZ Check to your airport in your destination city.

I think EZ Check is a great program.

I think there are some situations where one is expecting the cruise line to do more then the program is designed. I would hate to think complaints like this would stop the program for everyone.

On the sheet you filled out, it showed the charges for the bags - if you were not ok with that, you should not have participated in the program. Being Elite with the airline or not.

The cruise lines are doing this as a service to help the passengers out. They don't know everyone's airline status.

We have used this before with no problems however on our last cruise on the Ruby, we were denied this service using Jet Blue for flight from FLL to SFO. The ship could not provide any reason for this..

I used EZ check from LA and just loved it. I had a situation where we booked on Alaska Air when they were still allowing one free checked bag. However, they had changed to charging shortly after we booked. I took that information to the psgr svcs desk and they copied everything I had to be processed with my other paper work. I was really afraid we would be charged for our bags, but we weren't. Everything worked just perfectly and I would use it again whenever given the opportunity. Also, we didn't put our bags out until we were ready to go to bed around midnight. Several other bags were also out in the hall at this time.

I would suggest to anyone who is eligible for free checked luggage that they take proof of this with them when turning in their paper work for EZ check. Make sure they copy your information for the airline.

Ironically - some fees that the airline charges are sometimes waived using this service. For example - I used this service last summer and United was charging for luggage back then but through the EZ Check service, they did not have a charge.

EZ-CHECK is where you pay $20 and Princess will take up to two bags from you and check it through with certain airlines to your final destination. In addition to the $20, you will be charged all airline baggage fees.

The good -- It works!!! And the bonus is that the ship prints your boarding passes for you.

Luggage out the night before and not seen again until you reach your home airport. No luggage to get off the ship, drag through customs (if debarking at a US Port), Drag to the airport, check at the airport, etc.

Worked like a charm for us from FLL to SDF via ATL. Bad weather in ATL was causing some flights to cancel and we were placed on an earlier flight, but not our bags. The later flight where a bit late did get to Atlanta with our bags and they were on our SDF flight with us.

That's the good. The bad was having to surrender the bags before dinner (although they said if out by 8 pm or so, we'd likely have no problem). We had large toiletry items and had to check our tooth paste, etc. Saved a squeeze in a cup lid so that was no big problem.

Also bad is that we were given no luggage claim checks. We used a special Princess tag with no tear off number for us that only showed first flight. We were told that the bags would be airline tagged to the final destination and they were.

When we got to the airport, we asked at Delta's Sky Club about our bags. They said that the tag numbers were now a part of our record and if needed could be looked up. I copied down the numbers just in case but did not need them.

So really not much bad.

Now for the UGLY. As a Delta elite there was to be no baggage charge for me or anyone traveling to the same reservation. I was not charged as the elite status showed on my boarding pass. My wife was charged $50 for two bags.

We caught this and went to the desk to have it reversed. They refused saying it was a Delta issue. We were told to ask delta for the refund.

Delta said they know better and did not charge the $50. As a result they never got the money from the ship. They said Princess does this extra charge often.

We wrote Princess and they demanded we get evidence from Delta that the charge was improper. I told them no way was I wasting time when it was a standard industry practice. Suggested that they could check it out or make a good will refund or I would contest the bill with American ExpressThey said they made the good will refund and I would see the credit in two to three billing cycles.

I wonder if this is poor training at Princess or deliberate hoping that people will let them keep the money as the airline will never bill them. Based on Delta's saying it was frequent I really wonder if it is deliberate. A few $50 rip-offs can amount to a lot of money.

Oh well, the LAX-FLL cruise via the Panama Canal (Jan 6) was fabulous. We have no complaints at all. Had a couple of periods of high wind, but watching the white caps in the pool was interesting. Seems such a shame that Princess pulled this baggage charge stunt at the end. Hope they will train there people better.

Great idea, icon14.gif but my DW asked me how she was going to have all of her make up, lotion etc. if we have to leave the bags out the night before. icon5.gif Since the Airlins are not letting us on with bottles, liquids that leaves out putting them in a back pack. So how do we overcome that one?

Thanks,

Hugh and Christne icon6.gif

I used EZ Check from FLL to MSP last November on NWA. It worked like a charm. I will used it anytime I have the opportunity. It made the last day of the cruise so much easier. I loved it. I hope they keep offering this program.

I am going to take a leap here and assume you are a woman. How did you get your Lotions etc on the plane. We would lke to use the ezcheck come back from FLL to DTW and my DW was wondering how she can do her hair, makeup on Debracation day, and how she would get those items on the plane as a carry on.

Thanks,

Hugh and Christine icon6.gif

I am going to take a leap here and assume you are a woman. How did you get your Lotions etc on the plane. We would lke to use the ezcheck come back from FLL to DTW and my DW was wondering how she can do her hair, makeup on Debracation day, and how she would get those items on the plane as a carry on.

Thanks,

Hugh and Christine icon6.gif

You would have to have sample sizes of everything you use & carry them on in the quart size ziploc bag that the sirline allows. No other way around it. 3 oz sizes are more than enough for me, but I guess that is a personal thing.

Jan in Mi

I like the way SW does it seperate and away from the ship.

Yes, I just recently learned this about Southwest and will take advantage of it when we cruise in August, as we have a whole day to kill in FLL before our flight.:)

I think EZ Check is a great program.

On the sheet you filled out, it showed the charges for the bags - if you were not ok with that, you should not have participated in the program. Being Elite with the airline or not.

The cruise lines are doing this as a service to help the passengers out. They don't know everyone's airline status.

Not true. The sheet said only that airline imposed fees would be passed on. We had no airline imposed fee. My status was clear as it showed on the boarding pass and they did not charge me for my bags.

Most legacy airlines do not charge elites and companions. The ship takes the money and IF billed by the airline pays. By charging when it ought not, it just pockets the money.

Great idea, icon14.gif but my DW asked me how she was going to have all of her make up, lotion etc. if we have to leave the bags out the night before. icon5.gif Since the Airlins are not letting us on with bottles, liquids that leaves out putting them in a back pack. So how do we overcome that one?

Thanks,

Hugh and Christne icon6.gif

Tell her she's beautiful without make-up. We had one almost empty deodorant that we used when we showered and left behind. I did the same with a small shaving cream. We used ship soap and shampoo. We left out a little tooth paste. Other than a small lip stick, my wife did not use make-up for the trip home.

Now if make up is an issue, make up a going home bag of three oz bottles for essentials and carry then with you.

I like the way SW does it seperate and away from the ship.

We had friend taking South West. They had to handle their own bags but said the ship did a great job and made it very easy on them. Two did the early departure drag your own bags and the others had the ships people take the bags off the ship and picked them up on exiting.

It worked well for them. And bags are free for everyone on South West.

I am glad we had EZCheck though as my back was hurting and I was far better off not having to drag bags around.

Even if you are not using EZ Check you still have to have your bags out the night before.

I am now taking a little can of hair spray, small deoderant, and a small toothpaste, etc, etc.

EX Check is a great convenience and I would pay more than $20 for it. (don't tell Princess,LOL).

The cruise lines cannot be expected to know our status with the airlines IMHO.

WCC

The cruise lines cannot be expected to know our status with the airlines IMHO.

WCC

Why not. It is right on the boarding pass that they print.

Otherwise the cost for an elite flyer and non-elite spouse with two bags each for the service would be between $90 and $140. It would be $90 if they did not charge the elite and $140 if they charged both. If they ignored status they would charge both.

Since they only work with a few airlines, knowing the rules is no big deal. Ripping off travelers is of course more profitable whether intentional or not.

Now most flyers are not elite and the bag fees would be due regardless of whether they used EZCheck or checked bags themselves. I wonder how many of you defending Princess are in that category. It is easy to say that it is ok to stick someone else with $50 to $100 in extra charges. Volunteering to pay them yourselves to preserve the service is something else.

What I have learned here from Lynda90 (Post 6) is that if you bring a copy of the rules and get with the Passenger Service Desk before hand that you might avoid the charge. Better yet, if enough of us do that, maybe Princess staff will learn the rules.

What I have learned here from Lynda90 (Post 6) is that if you bring a copy of the rules and get with the Passenger Service Desk before hand that you might avoid the charge. Better yet, if enough of us do that, maybe Princess staff will learn the rules.

Or maybe they will realize it is too much work and discontinue the service.

I really think if you agree to participate in the program, you shouldn't complain about the fees (elite or not).

So, what is this about SW and their luggage handling? We are sailing out of FLL later in the month and will be flying SW.

Southwest has a Bags-to-Go program. I haven't used it yet, and maybe someone who has could clarify this, but apparently you haul your own bags off the ship, bring them to Southwest's Bags-to-Go counter outside the cruise terminal, check them in, and you're free of your bags until you collect them at your final destination. It's $20 per person, for up to 2 bags per person. You can sign up on the SW website.

http://www.baggagecheckin.com/

Southwest has a Bags-to-Go program. I haven't used it yet, and maybe someone who has could clarify this, but apparently you haul your own bags off the ship, bring them to Southwest's Bags-to-Go counter outside the cruise terminal, check them in, and you're free of your bags until you collect them at your final destination. It's $20 per person, for up to 2 bags per person. You can sign up on the SW website.

Yes it works well.

It is $10 per bag (not sure the max). No need to sign up online.

HELLO SUNLUVA7...I see there is a Bags to Go website that helps or contracts with Southwest to help with your bags when you get off the ship in Fort Lauderdale, but I cannot seem to find where you sign up on the Southwest site itself, as you indicated.

Others have said, just take you bags off the ship and the Southwest area is right outside the cruise terminal.

My other concern, unless I am understanding something incorrectly from the Bags to go Site, is that it says, bags must be presented 3-hours prior to your flight and is good for flights departing Fort Lauderdale after 11:45-AM. Since our flight is at 12:15-PM, and there is no guarantee we would be off the ship 3-hours in advance by 9:15-AM...I am wondering if the program will still be OK for us in case we did not get off until 9:30 or 9:45-AM.

Why not. It is right on the boarding pass that they print.

Otherwise the cost for an elite flyer and non-elite spouse with two bags each for the service would be between $90 and $140. It would be $90 if they did not charge the elite and $140 if they charged both. If they ignored status they would charge both.

Since they only work with a few airlines, knowing the rules is no big deal. Ripping off travelers is of course more profitable whether intentional or not.

Now most flyers are not elite and the bag fees would be due regardless of whether they used EZCheck or checked bags themselves. I wonder how many of you defending Princess are in that category. It is easy to say that it is ok to stick someone else with $50 to $100 in extra charges. Volunteering to pay them yourselves to preserve the service is something else.

Fourteen airlines in FLL. And that can change from week to week.

BTW - "ripping off" is a bit extreme when it's not intentional.

Archived