Mykonos port stop in the evening

Poconolady

Strange from 8pm till 2am ? Which cruise lines schedules this?

Mykonos (town) is very nice and to walk around you will need lets say 2h30. What we did...but in the afternoon!

As it is a greek island, i don't think you will have problems with opening hours of cafés, restaurants and even tourist shops. Greeks are used to live late in the evening. Have a look to the houses of Hora at the seefront directly in the water (they are called "little Venice" which is over over estimated of course for the 10/15 houses!) the Alfkandra quarter and the windmills of Boni. Normally you will have have enough lightning to take digital pictures.

I read that Mykonos has 2 ports, the old port in Mykonos town and the new port in Tourlos which is 30min from Mykonos town. Most large ships dock at the new port. Is this true? We are on a ship from Louis Cruise lines that sails from Piraeus. Anyone know which port in Mykonos they use?

We will be in Mykonos from 8PM - 2AM-- any suggestions on what to do other than finding a bar? Willl shops remain open if a ship is in port in the evening?

Agree with jpver that the Greeks like to have fun at night. That's what we experienced in Athens with its great Plaka. It might be late before the sun sets there. What specific date are you scheduled for Mykonos? If you were in Athens on July 1, sunset is 8:51 pm. Tell us the date and we can check that timing In the evening, you might get also some nice lighting for interesting pictures. Below are a couple for when we were in Mykonos. It has lots of interesting views in this village.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

The famed four windmills overlooking Mykonos:

Mik4WindMill.jpg

A Mykonos church with a dining area in front of this building:

MikChurDining.jpg

Narrow flowered street in Mykonos with its many shops:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

At night in Plaka! Lots of fun, food and shopping there:

PlakaNight.jpg

Too cool......if you look directly under the blue balcony there is a sign with a blue cross on it. We stopped in this very pharmacy and bought band-aids for my blisters !!!! Too cool !

YES, Wow! What a small world. It's good that it wasn't more serious than blisters. Appreciate your paying that much attention to notice.

I read that Mykonos has 2 ports, the old port in Mykonos town and the new port in Tourlos which is 30min from Mykonos town. Most large ships dock at the new port. Is this true? We are on a ship from Louis Cruise lines that sails from Piraeus. Anyone know which port in Mykonos they use?

If you dock you will almost certainly use Tourlas. However that's only 2.5 kms from Mykonos town; about 5 minutes in a coach. That 30mins would be walking, perhaps, which I wouldn't want to do because it's a narrow road with no pedestrian footpath (sidewalk) along (most of) it. If you're tendering then you'll anchor somewhere in the bay and tender into the harbour in Mykonos town.

I suppose it is possible that if you're on one of Louis' older, smaller ships then you might just dock at the old ferry port at one end of the town harbour. But it would have to be a very small ship!

YES, Wow! What a small world. It's good that it wasn't more serious than blisters. Appreciate your paying that much attention to notice.

Terry - at the time the blisters WERE SERIOUS :eek: Limped around for an hour before finding this place and band-aids !

There are only a couple of berths at Tourlas, if there are other ships in port, you may end up tendering, which isn't bad as you are dropped off right in town.

Hmmm. Louis Cruises! Hopefully they can manage to berth a ship at Mykonos without sinking. Like many frequent cruisers we have always wondered how this line could manage to sink a ship at Santorini when they cruised these waters every week. We have found it interesting that the two most famous modern cruise ship sinkings were operated by Greek crews (the other was the Oceanos). The question should be can this line even find Mykonos at night (only kidding.....or am I).

Hank

Some cruise ships seem to think that passengers will enjoy some of Mykonos' famous night life. I've heard the crew sure enjoy it.

We definitely want to enjoy the Mykonos nightlife :) but also want to see more of the island. We are luckily enough to do both, as we arrive at 9am and depart at 5am :D

Haven't decided yet what we are going to visit during the day :confused:

Hmmm. Louis Cruises! Hopefully they can manage to berth a ship at Mykonos without sinking. Like many frequent cruisers we have always wondered how this line could manage to sink a ship at Santorini when they cruised these waters every week. We have found it interesting that the two most famous modern cruise ship sinkings were operated by Greek crews (the other was the Oceanos). The question should be can this line even find Mykonos at night (only kidding.....or am I).

Hank

Very mischievous, Hank!

That said, my understanding is that Captain might have a good argument about the course he took in the caldera at Santorini: although unusual, it is shown as clear on the official charts. However, a new hydrographic survey (commissioned by Louis) shows the reef that was hit extending beyond the limits that are indicated on the official chart. I gather that the present position is that there has not yet been either a court of enquiry or a criminal trial; doubtless things will come out when either or both of those are held.

Hmm, has anyone on here actually cruised on Louis before? We are scheduled on the Louis Cristal on April 23 from Pireaus. Any advice? Also, would be interested in finding anyone else that will be touring in Athens at the time of its return on April 30 and May 1. Also, we'll be in Mykonos on April 25, a Sunday afternoon.

Archived