Grandeur of the Seas - quick review

We just got back from a 4 day cruise on the Grandeur. Here are my impressions:

1. Embarkation - Very smooth. Got there at 10:45, sitting at the pool bar at 11:15. In fact we were the first to get on the ship. (aren't you suppose to win a price for that? ;) ) 5 out of 5

2. The ship - older but in very good shape. The public areas are top notch. The room was very clean, few scratches here and there but nothing that would spoil my fun time. The only problem was the toilet. There were moments when the sewer smell was almost overwhelming, but as long as the door was closed it wasn't a problem in the cabin, and it seemed to come and go. We are not complainers and it was only a 4 day cruise so we let it go. The aft JR Suite was good size, the balcony with 2 lounge chairs, 2 chairs and a small table was fabulous. The ship sailed smoothly for the most part. Little vibrations during slow operations but once under full power, you couldn't even tell we were sailing. Also, the TV in the cabin could use a little more variety. It was the same reruns from the first full day of sailing and I'm talking about news and movies and RC produced shows. 4 out of 5

3. The staff - Fabulous is the only word I can use. 5 out of 5

4. Activities - many to chose from for many different tastes. 4 out of 5

5. Food - Not extravagant by any stretch of imagination, but very nice. Perhaps little bit of more variety in the MDR is needed. 3.5 out of 5

6. The shows - We saw 2 of the main shows. First night it was a comedian (very funny) and a preview of the RC production show for the following evening. We had a good time. We did not go the next 2 main shows. The last night it was couple of guys from Argentina doing 2 different shows. The first part was intriguing and kept you watching. The second part started out slow but it actually ended up being very funny and very entertaining. It involved audience participation. We also listen to Billy Joel tribute guy at the Schnooker bar and I'm not a BJ fan, but I enjoyed myself very much. 4 out of 5

7. We had a wonderful time, even with the bathroom smell in our JR Suite. 4 out of 5.

We would not hesitate to take another Grandeur of the Seas cruise in the future.

Thank you for the review. We will be taking our first cruise ever and on the Grandeur this coming Saturday (Feb 6th). We read some not so great reviews about the Grandeur and was wondering if we made a mistake, but it sounds like we made a good choice for the price.

Was the master still Capt Rune Johnsen?

To be honest with you I really don't pay attention to who the captain is and really don't need to meet him/her but that sounds about right. A good looking mid aged guy from Norway? He was funny during the cooking demonstration on the Champaign Terrace. It was a contest between the Executive chef, the hotel director and the captain, doing a cake decoration demonstration.

The capt started to throw cherries at the hotel executive's desk across from his own and all hell broke lose. At some point they had to use the icing decorating bag. The capt filled it up, aimed it at the hotel director and let it go. It missed the hotel director but got the beautiful piano and the amplifiers behind it.

The executive chef won. CD Clo had the audience vote for the best decorated cakes, reminding everybody that the captain may miss the destination if he does not win, and the hotel director can make your cabin experience really bad. But when she said that the chef is responsible for our food, he got the biggest applause for his cake, (but to be honest, his cake did look the best)

To be honest with you I really don't pay attention to who the captain is and really don't need to meet him/her but that sounds about right. A good looking mid aged guy from Norway? He was funny during the cooking demonstration on the Champaign Terrace. It was a contest between the Executive chef, the hotel director and the captain, doing a cake decoration demonstration.

The capt started to throw cherries at the hotel executive's desk across from his own and all hell broke lose. At some point they had to use the icing decorating bag. The capt filled it up, aimed it at the hotel director and let it go. It missed the hotel director but got the beautiful piano and the amplifiers behind it.

The executive chef won. CD Clo had the audience vote for the best decorated cakes, reminding everybody that the captain may miss the destination if he does not win, and the hotel director can make your cabin experience really bad. But when she said that the chef is responsible for our food, he got the biggest applause for his cake, (but to be honest, his cake did look the best)

What fun! Yes, that sounds like Capt Rune. The other captain is an American.

Two weeks and counting. We haven't sailed RCCL in a while and we're excited to be returning. Thanks for the review.

Two months from Wednesday! April 3! Does anyone know if Clo will still be on the ship then? She usually does shorter "relief" contracts because of her family. We had Clo as our CD on Jewel two years ago.

Thanks for the review. I will be sailing on her in April and am glad to hear good things. Those of you with upcoming cruise come back and give us your thoughts as well.

When In April? All of the Roll Calls for April are slow. If you haven't signed up there make sure you do. DW and I are going out on April 3.

When In April? All of the Roll Calls for April are slow. If you haven't signed up there make sure you do. DW and I are going out on April 3.

We are sailing April 12th. I agree that the Roll Calls are slow. Myself and another lady are the people that have joined the Roll Call for our cruise.

I was on the same cruise and mirror the OP's remarks.

Couple of others.

1, Found the meals to be overdone and dry generally. Tried all the restaurants on-board.

2, Shows were great

3, Coffee was very underwhelming for "Seattle's Best"

4, We were in the cheap seats, deck2 outside, 4 in the cabin, and it was great! Lots of room (who is in the room anyway)

5, Staff is great!

6, Our assistant waiter resembled Manuel from Faulty Towers in looks and mannerisms, and was a hoot to watch him stumble around...

Oh, and I was by the main pool by 11:20 - very fast on and off!

Can't wait. My wife and I are on the Grandeur for 5/nts February 15.

Thank you so much for your excellent review. I was a bit skeptical about GotS, but you have taken my anxiety away. Now it's time for fun!:)

Anyone else going on February 15?

We are sailing April 12th. I agree that the Roll Calls are slow. Myself and another lady are the people that have joined the Roll Call for our cruise.

We are also going April 12th.I will have to look for the Roll Call....

Archived