What's your take on "no locked luggage" cruise policies?

kelly@

What's your take on "no locked luggage" cruise policies? Choose all that apply.  

465 members have voted

1. 1. What's your take on "no locked luggage" cruise policies? Choose all that apply.

• I always use locks and will continue to do so, no matter the policy
    • I lock my bags with cable ties that can be cut, so I'm not concerned
    • I'd lock my bags if someone would claim responsibility for them before they're onboard
    • I usually lock my bags, but I understand the importance of security, so I would comply
    • I think policies like this are just a way for cruise lines to crack down on booze smuggling
    • I only travel on short cruises where I can carry on my own baggage
    • None of the above
    • Something else (which I'll post)

I had no idea that so many people actually use a lock of some sort on their luggage. Sure, we might hear of the exceptions, but I'm sure if statistics existed, they would show that a fraction of a percentage point of luggages are broken into.

I've never locked my suitcases with locks, zipties, or similar. All my valuables are kept on my person or in a carry on bag.

Personally, I have a hard time believing there is no connection to booze smuggling initiatives.

If we, in the UK, are travelling to the US, Canada or Caribbean, we are advised NOT to lock our luggage as it has to be accessible for 'on the spot' checks by the customs officers on arrival and departure. As a matter of fact, this was the case for us on one occasion when leaving the US. When unpacking our luggage on arrival home, we found a printed sheet of paper in one of the cases informing us that it had been examined prior to departure from the US. The contents had been replaced reasonably well and undamaged.

If we, in the UK, are travelling to the US, Canada or Caribbean, we are advised NOT to lock our luggage as it has to be accessible for 'on the spot' checks by the customs officers on arrival and departure.

But we can use TSA locks, which I will continue to do. If they want me to open the locks, I will.

Thanks, everyone, for voting and sharing opinions!

We've updated our story:

Carnival spokeswoman Jennifer de la Cruz tells us that "It is not mandatory that guests keep their luggage unlocked and the wording in our guest communications is being softened a bit to indicate that we recommend it be unlocked in order to avoid any inconvenience or delay in the delivery of luggage to the cabin ... If luggage is locked (including TSA locks) and potentially prohibited items are identified during the screening process, that luggage will be retained and must be opened by the guest in the presence of security personnel."

De la Cruz points out that there has not been a change in policy in terms of prohibited items; the stricter enforcement initiative is being driven by security management in the interest of guest and crew safety.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3667

I never lock my bags either for a cruise or when flying. I use soft-sided luggage and figure if someone really wants to get in they will destroy the bag. That being said, I also never pack anything of value in my luggage, but keep all valuables in my carry-on. DH, having been raised in the Bronx, is a bit more paranoid and uses twist-ties figuring if someone wanted to break in, they would try a bag that is an easier target.

Yes, I do lock my car (I think leaving it unlocked would invalidate theft insurance and I usually leave all of my cat show supplies in it) and my house (which does contain valuables), but luggage is different.

They can call me down to Security and I will unlock it and they can see what's inside WITH ME STANDING THERE--underwear and all! :rolleyes:

I agree...theft and opportunity go together...so LOCK 'ER UP, Me Harties...Arghhhh! :cool:

I have always locked my bags. It's not the folks on the ship moving my bags about that concerns me, it's what happens once my bags disappear into the bowels of the cruise terminal.

There have been many articles recently about bags being raided at airport INSIDE A TSA SECURE AREA. We who cruise don't even have the security of the TSA to help us out.

Of course it's easy enough for a determined longshoreman (or whoever...) to slice open a bag and grab whatever they like but the presence of a simple lock must be some flavor of a deterrent, certainly more than no lock at all...

My bags will stay locked. If they want me to open my bags to inspect my boxers I'll be glad to comply but only once the bags are on the ship...

I voted

1) I'll continue to lock my luggage

2) I think they're doing this to crack down on the booze smuggling

3) Other and will post:

a. It's the easiest way for them to have access to items they want to remove...

but...

b. It leaves their customer's belongings open for easier theft because the luggage is left in too many areas without some level of deterrence.

c. The idea wasn't fully thought through, which is disappointing when it's something so important - the ship and people safe and secure (in case this isn't just about booze smuggling), the items prohibited from being brought onto the ship (liquor other than wine, irons, candles, weapons, etc.), and guests keeping their items secure from theft or vandalism. There are alternatives to requesting all checked luggage be left unlocked.

I use TSA locks. I thought those were allowed. What about your luggage sitting in the hall until you get there or the night before disembarking when it is taken from the hall? What if someone put drugs in your bag and thought they could retrieve them before you can disembark? Not taking any chances.

ITA with KULPN !! I have always locked & will continue to lock my luggage with TSA locks. I DO carry my valuables with me, but I would like to have my clothes, shoes and other personal items not allowed on the plane, or too heavy to be carried on, delivered to me in tact.

I have found the TSA notification papers in my luggage that says my luggage was "randomly searched" and I have no problem with that. They are a government agency and have the authority to search my personal property. The cruise lines do not. I will gladly open any of my bags for the screeners at the cruise line when asked to do so, but only when I am present.

Unlocked luggage invites anyone to put anything they desire into your bag once it is out of your sight. Try explaining away drugs or other contraband to a Customs or other government official. You may eventually be able to "talk" your way out of a very sticky situation, but then again - you may not...:eek: Personally, I'd rather not take the chance! JMHO -

I always lock my luggage and will continue to do so. There's nothing in there that isn't supposed to be there. But if they think there is, I'd rather watch them open my bags than have it done when I'm not there. I always carry on any valuables, but still and all, I don't want anyone going through my bags without my knowledge and consent.

Thanks, everyone, for voting and sharing opinions!

We've updated our story:

Carnival spokeswoman Jennifer de la Cruz tells us that "It is not mandatory that guests keep their luggage unlocked and the wording in our guest communications is being softened a bit to indicate that we recommend it be unlocked in order to avoid any inconvenience or delay in the delivery of luggage to the cabin ... If luggage is locked (including TSA locks) and potentially prohibited items are identified during the screening process, that luggage will be retained and must be opened by the guest in the presence of security personnel."

De la Cruz points out that there has not been a change in policy in terms of prohibited items; the stricter enforcement initiative is being driven by security management in the interest of guest and crew safety.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3667

Now, that modified policy would make me quite happy. I will happily go to open my luggage, if that is deemed necessary.

I use TSA locks. I thought those were allowed. What about your luggage sitting in the hall until you get there or the night before disembarking when it is taken from the hall? What if someone put drugs in your bag and thought they could retrieve them before you can disembark? Not taking any chances.

ooh. good point. I use the zip ties. is that considered "locked"?

I would prefer that all bags of all cruisers are either x-rayed or opened and inspected at the time of check-in, similar to airline policies, for my personal safety. Lock them back up after if you want, but I want to know that what is going on the ship is what is SUPPOSED to be going on the ship. Too many nuts in the world.

I would prefer that all bags of all cruisers are either x-rayed or opened and inspected at the time of check-in, similar to airline policies, for my personal safety. Lock them back up after if you want, but I want to know that what is going on the ship is what is SUPPOSED to be going on the ship. Too many nuts in the world.

All bags are x-rayed as they pass through the terminal to the ship. It's that x-ray inspection that will alert Carnival to proscribed items.

The screening is done by a third party organization, not the TSA...

:)

All bags are x-rayed as they pass through the terminal to the ship. It's that x-ray inspection that will alert Carnival to proscribed items.

The screening is done by a third party organization, not the TSA...

:)

Thanks for that post - didn't realize they did that to the checked luggage. I remember the hand luggage going through a screener but of course never saw what happened to my bag after it was taken away.

Do you lock your luggage before handing it over to the porters at the cruise port? It appears that the folks over at Carnival Cruise Lines are frowning on the common safety practice -- which has sparked a heated discussion about baggage policies. Late last week, several Cruise Critic members booked on upcoming Carnival cruises received e-mail notification from the line (which they then posted on the Carnival forum) about a change in luggage policy. Read the full story here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3667

A Carnival spokesman was unable to provide more information -- such as when and why the language change was made to the baggage policy, or whether TSA-approved locks or plastic cable ties are allowable -- by press time, but tells us he's looking into the matter. Stay tuned.

In the meantime, we want to know: What's your take on Carnival's crackdown on luggage lockers? Vote in our poll (and be sure to post your opinion below!).

Another reason for locking bags is so nothing gets put into them. I dont drink so I wont be hiding any booze in them. Let us lock our bags they do after all belong to us not to Carnival.

But we can use TSA locks, which I will continue to do. If they want me to open the locks, I will.

I forgot to mention that we did use TSA locks on our next US trip following the experience just mentoned, which resulted with one of them being forced and broken (presumably by customs not bothering to use the correct key or just brute force). We've now given up and don't lock any luggage when travelling across the pond. Unfortunately, the owner of the luggage is not always present when customs decide to do a spot check when the luggage is in transit as happened on both occasions with ourselves.

I forgot to mention that we did use TSA locks on our next US trip following the experience just mentoned, which resulted with one of them being forced and broken (presumably by customs not bothering to use the correct key or just brute force).

Was it customs, or did the locks stop a theft?

I've used TSA locks and they seem to be a con. Since I've attached them the numbnuts in US customs have vandalised three cases beyond use! Last trip I left everything unlocked right across the Atlantic. How are we supposed to help?????

Archived