What's your take on "no locked luggage" cruise policies?

kelly@

What's your take on "no locked luggage" cruise policies? Choose all that apply.  

465 members have voted

1. 1. What's your take on "no locked luggage" cruise policies? Choose all that apply.

• I always use locks and will continue to do so, no matter the policy
    • I lock my bags with cable ties that can be cut, so I'm not concerned
    • I'd lock my bags if someone would claim responsibility for them before they're onboard
    • I usually lock my bags, but I understand the importance of security, so I would comply
    • I think policies like this are just a way for cruise lines to crack down on booze smuggling
    • I only travel on short cruises where I can carry on my own baggage
    • None of the above
    • Something else (which I'll post)

Unlocked luggage! Hell NO - like most of you we didn't just drop in from Mars. Whats strange is that Princess doesn't require this crap - in fact it is okay to bring wine aboard. I like many others will no longer cruise with Carnival with this BS policy. What an idiotic policy.

This is a ridiculous policy! By saying they "recommend" that you unlock your luggage to avoid delays is just a different way to threaten us. If this is the way they want to treat guests, then I will look elsewhere to spend my money. I want to go where I'm treated with respect. It's not like they are giving me this cruise for free and doing me a big favor.

I'm locking my luggage. I use TSA locks when I fly and they're still on when I board.

If they have a problem with that, they can call me down to Security and I will unlock it and they can see what's inside WITH ME STANDING THERE.

I totally agree and even if there is olny clothes etc in the case I am not having anybody going through them without me being there.

No luggage of mine is locked when cruising since I have long known the locks are simple devices which anyone wishing to enter a bag can do so with no delay. Anything of value is carried in hand. I choose to make luggage entry a simple matter for the thief who chooses to steal. In this way I avoid the possible damage a thief can make to luggage if slowed by an inferior 'toy' lock.

As for booze, the traveler should select the cruise line that allows wines and champagnes brought onboard. Holland America allows alcoholic beverages carried in the luggage but it must be enjoyed only in the cabin and not carried to the restaurant unless paying a corkage fee. Holland takes a very understanding and adult approach to such things.:cool:

Having completed 28 cruises with five other cruise lines and our 29th coming up in September, CARNIVAL presents another reason why I will not be embarking their ships. If TSA locks are good at airports, why are they being used as an excuse for not expeditiously processing baggage at CARNIVAL? Can't help to wonder if they are imposing this policy on passengers sailing under their CUNARD brand. A bogus policy to force Union demands on the cruising public. :mad:

I have been cruising since 1969, have never locked a suitcase and never had anything stolen. Luggage was gone thru by TSA several times and they left a note saying so.

My valuables always stay with me.

All a broken lock tells the owner ....something is missing. Thieves can get into your luggage easily.

So, if the lock is broken when it is delivered to your cabin, how do you know who broke in? Porter or Carnival employee?

On the ship I use cable ties. If I get the luggage back with the tie broken, then I know someone has been inside. I then check closely to see if anything is missing or added to my suitcase. It really does not deter anyone. It is only for my realizing it has been opened. All I ever put in the suitcase are my clothes.

Most luggage these days use zippers. There is a utube presentation showing how to open zipper luggage without disturbing the lock or damaging the zipper. It only requires a common ball point pen and takes less than two minutes to completely open the luggage and then close it. Locks are a waste of money on zipper luggage.

I have had on several occasions arrived at my destination by air and found a note from the TSA that they had opened my luggage. Since it only contains clothes and grooming items that are no longer allowed as carryon, I don't bother with the locks.

What is the big deal? Carnival does not say you must leave your luggage unlocked. They say if you don't want to come to security at say 8 PM at night to unlock it, leave it unlocked.

People sure want to make a big deal out of nothing. Typical of some.

From Carnival: "We suggest all luggage be unlocked before turning over to the porters in order to avoid any inconvenience or delay in delivering the luggage to your stateroom. Should you choose not to unlock your bags and prohibited items are found during screening, your luggage will be retained until you can open it in front of security personnel."

WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL????? SEEMS A LOT OF PEOPLE HAVE THEIR PANTIES IN A BUNCH OVER NOTHING.

The same people will bitch that they had to go down to security and missed dinner and did not get there luggage until 10 pm or so because they left them locked.

I am switching to carrying on my own bags. I will travel lighter, bringing less formal wear. They can search in my presence. I do not carry on alcohol or other unapproved things. I had scissors confiscated once & got them returned to me. ( I do not fly to pier.) My bags will stay locked.

I see this as another reason not to choose Carnival.

No luggage of mine is locked when cruising since I have long known the locks are simple devices which anyone wishing to enter a bag can do so with no delay. Anything of value is carried in hand. I choose to make luggage entry a simple matter for the thief who chooses to steal. In this way I avoid the possible damage a thief can make to luggage if slowed by an inferior 'toy' lock.

As for booze, the traveler should select the cruise line that allows wines and champagnes brought onboard. Holland America allows alcoholic beverages carried in the luggage but it must be enjoyed only in the cabin and not carried to the restaurant unless paying a corkage fee. Holland takes a very understanding and adult approach to such things.:cool:

There are crazy people in this world and I don't plan to make it easy for someone to steal from me. Most criminals will go the easy way so if my luggage is locked and someone else's isn't, the thief will more than likely go to the unlocked luggage.

I also don't want someone putting anything in my luggage that I didn't put in there myself. If someone wants to go through my luggage, I want to be there when they do. If someone gets into my luggage, I want to be able to know that they did.

I am switching to carrying on my own bags. I will travel lighter, bringing less formal wear. They can search in my presence. I do not carry on alcohol or other unapproved things. I had scissors confiscated once & got them returned to me. ( I do not fly to pier.) My bags will stay locked.

I see this as another reason not to choose Carnival.

We hear from another person that does not even read what the policy states and gets upsets about nothing.

All the other cruise lines will do the same as Carnival, but at least Carnival has stated what you can do to not get called to security and have your luggage delayed.

Don't understand such stupidity about nothing,,,

Having completed 28 cruises with five other cruise lines and our 29th coming up in September, CARNIVAL presents another reason why I will not be embarking their ships. If TSA locks are good at airports, why are they being used as an excuse for not expeditiously processing baggage at CARNIVAL? Can't help to wonder if they are imposing this policy on passengers sailing under their CUNARD brand. A bogus policy to force Union demands on the cruising public. :mad:

I am totally with you on why I will never book Carnival. and NO, none of the others of their brands impose this policy. I travel mostly on their Holland America line. The bottom line is LIQUOR CONTROL - they are having to call too many people out for the smuggled liquor. they hold their luggage and make them come down to get it and take the liquor out. Probably taking too much time and too many employees. Heard that both NCL and RCCL have this practice also.

I just returned from a Carnival cruise and one of my bags was lost by the airlines. So naturally it was my piece of luggage with my formal and casual dress. My husband made it through just fine.

Even though the airline paid me $100 per night it did not come close to the amount of money in clothing and buying clothes on the ship which was sailing for 2 days before our first port call.

Fortunately I travel insurance, not through the cruise line, but the documentation was excessive and included question on whether or not the luggage was locked. Fortunately it was.

We have traveled and cruised 16 times and this is my first loss of luggage

Lesson learned LOCK your luggage or lose a lot.

Never pack expensive jewelry!

Not much you can carry on now days so the carryon is getting heavy an large!

I've never locked my luggage.....no matter where I'm going...cruise or land vacations.

Nothing of any value is ever in my checked bag at all. If someone wants to go through my stuff, I'd rather they use the zipper than a box cutter.

I don't take valuables anywhere. Things like digital camera, etc., stays with me in my carry on.

I think anything the cruise lines do to cut down on the morons who smuggle booze onboard is a good thing.

What is it about the policy that some of you do not understand? It is written in plain standard english. Carnival is not saying that bags have to be unlocked. It is only a suggestion. Why keep making threats about never cruising on Carnival because of unfounded rumors?

From Carnival: "We suggest all luggage be unlocked before turning over to the porters in order to avoid any inconvenience or delay in delivering the luggage to your stateroom. Should you choose not to unlock your bags and prohibited items are found during screening, your luggage will be retained until you can open it in front of security personnel."

I am totally with you on why I will never book Carnival. and NO, none of the others of their brands impose this policy. I travel mostly on their Holland America line. The bottom line is LIQUOR CONTROL - they are having to call too many people out for the smuggled liquor. they hold their luggage and make them come down to get it and take the liquor out. Probably taking too much time and too many employees. Heard that both NCL and RCCL have this practice also.

What policy???????

You should learn to read.....

You should learn to understand before making such stipu statements.

You do know that no cruise line allows liquor (not talking about wine or beer) to be taken aboard. You should not use HAL since I know that they will call you down if they think you are bringing liquor aboard.

We have been using the cable ties and so far have not had any luggage searched. Maybe the bottom line is that if you are tryng to smuggle liquor on board the ship, do not use any lock or be prepared to have it broken.

I do not like to have my luggage traveling thu the ship without locks. Yes, they can been broken quickly but so can doors to your home but we still locked them as a deterent.

All the other cruise lines will do the same as Carnival, but at least Carnival has stated what you can do to not get called to security and have your luggage delayed.

Don't understand such stupidity about nothing,,,

The difference is....most of us want to be present when the cruise line opens our bags. Many bags are held due to mistaken identity...like Listerine bottles. I do not want cruise line employees going through my bags without me present because they thought they saw booze. It is not "stupidity" to feel this way. :rolleyes:

Even TSA at the airports opens bags out in public view.

The difference is....most of us want to be present when the cruise line opens our bags. Many bags are held due to mistaken identity...like Listerine bottles. I do not want cruise line employees going through my bags without me present because they thought they saw booze. It is not "stupidity" to feel this way. :rolleyes:

Even TSA at the airports opens bags out in public view.[/quote]

Once more: You have nothing to worry about. The Carnival security personnal are not going to go thru your bag without you present. TSA does not call you down to the naughty room if they want to go thru a checked bag. They open it and leave a memo informing you that the bag has been opened.

From Carnival: Should you choose not to unlock your bags and prohibited items are found during screening, your luggage will be retained until you can open it in front of security personnel."

Even TSA at the airports opens bags out in public view.

I have had TSA inspect my bags three times so far, and never was this done with me present. With your checked luggage TSA never inspects it with you there.... WHERE DID YOU GET THIS MISLEADING IDEA????? Why do you think TSA tells you to use TSA approved locks that they can open?????

All you have to do is lock your luggage and Carnival will call to open it and inspect it. What is your problem with that?????

All Carnival says if you don't want to be called to have your luggage inspected while you are they and have it delayed getting to you do not lock it.

WHAT DO YOU HAVE AS AN OBJECTION TO THIS?????????????

I don't understand all these people that make false and misleading statements.

Archived