What's your take on "no locked luggage" cruise policies?

kelly@

What's your take on "no locked luggage" cruise policies? Choose all that apply.  

465 members have voted

1. 1. What's your take on "no locked luggage" cruise policies? Choose all that apply.

• I always use locks and will continue to do so, no matter the policy
    • I lock my bags with cable ties that can be cut, so I'm not concerned
    • I'd lock my bags if someone would claim responsibility for them before they're onboard
    • I usually lock my bags, but I understand the importance of security, so I would comply
    • I think policies like this are just a way for cruise lines to crack down on booze smuggling
    • I only travel on short cruises where I can carry on my own baggage
    • None of the above
    • Something else (which I'll post)

I am in the habit of locking my luggage because of sticky fingers. I also don't like people touching my clothes.

I have noticed that my tsa locks sometimes get unlocked because they leave it unlocked when I get my luggage in my cabin. I know it is not the porters because they are too busy hauling luggage as fast as they can for the tips.

I think the cruiselines open them up looking for liquor.

I do carry a small piece of luggage filled with bottled water and bottled sodas. I only tie it with a plastic tie because I know the ship will want to see if there is liquor in the luggage. I always get that luggage with all of my water and sodas.

I always tip my porters and they do a great job of making sure my luggage gets on the ships. I just show them the money and they come running to take my luggage.

I think it is terrible of some people who have tons of luggage and they don't tip.

I just returned from a Carnival cruise and one of my bags was lost by the airlines. So naturally it was my piece of luggage with my formal and casual dress. My husband made it through just fine.

Lesson learned LOCK your luggage or lose a lot.

Good to know the airline didn't lose your husband as well!

However, I think the lesson to learn is to pack each suitcase with 50% yours and 50% your husband's. That way you need both suitcases to go AWOL to be left without...

I am a bit confused here. Are those of you who lock your luggage (not TSA locks) putting the locks on your luggage after your flight to the port? Airlines have not permitted locked luggage for quite some time (again, except TSA locks) and will break a lock if there is something in your luggage that they want to view close-up (they leave those sheets of paper in your luggage indicating that they have opened it).

Just trying to understand at what point you are putting these locks on.

I always tip my porters and they do a great job of making sure my luggage gets on the ships. I just show them the money and they come running to take my luggage.

I think it is terrible of some people who have tons of luggage and they don't tip.

Why do you tip? Does their employer not pay them to move luggage?

I am a bit confused here. Are those of you who lock your luggage (not TSA locks) putting the locks on your luggage after your flight to the port? Airlines have not permitted locked luggage for quite some time (again, except TSA locks) and will break a lock if there is something in your luggage that they want to view close-up (they leave those sheets of paper in your luggage indicating that they have opened it).

I don't know about people who fly because we drive to the port. When my bags leave my possession, they are locked.

I'm locking my luggage. I use TSA locks when I fly and they're still on when I board.

If they have a problem with that, they can call me down to Security and I will unlock it and they can see what's inside WITH ME STANDING THERE.

Same with us. We use TSA locks and one of our bags was apparently opened by TSA on a trip to Phoenix last month (evidence the red marker on the lock) and nothing was missing. Screw Carnival!!!

The difference is....most of us want to be present when the cruise line opens our bags. Many bags are held due to mistaken identity...like Listerine bottles. I do not want cruise line employees going through my bags without me present because they thought they saw booze. It is not "stupidity" to feel this way. :rolleyes:

Even TSA at the airports opens bags out in public view.[/quote]

Once more: You have nothing to worry about. The Carnival security personnal are not going to go thru your bag without you present. TSA does not call you down to the naughty room if they want to go thru a checked bag. They open it and leave a memo informing you that the bag has been opened.

From Carnival: Should you choose not to unlock your bags and prohibited items are found during screening, your luggage will be retained until you can open it in front of security personnel."

um, doesn't this imply that if you leave your luggage unlocked, they will go thru it without you present?

I just do not get locking luggage. It does not make it any more secure. It is like locking an envelope. A locked piece of luggage can be opened just as easily as an unlocked piece of luggage. Something can be put inside a locked piece of luggage and resealed just as easily as an unlocked piece of luggage. The only thing locking your luggage does is advertise to a thief that you have something of value inside. It makes your luggage a target and provides zero value as a deterrent. All one needs is a simple pen and they can open and close a locked piece of luggage just as easily as an unlocked piece of luggage.

whatever lock I have goes on the luggage before I hand it over at the airport.

I think it is incorrect that non-tsa locks are not permitted. they will be broken if tsa needs access.

I just do not get locking luggage. It does not make it any more secure. It is like locking an envelope. A locked piece of luggage can be opened just as easily as an unlocked piece of luggage. Something can be put inside a locked piece of luggage and resealed just as easily as an unlocked piece of luggage. The only thing locking your luggage does is advertise to a thief that you have something of value inside. It makes your luggage a target and provides zero value as a deterrent. All one needs is a simple pen and they can open and close a locked piece of luggage just as easily as an unlocked piece of luggage.

I think the target is on the easier to access cases.

A lock advertises nothing but "here's a little security measure!" I also believe that the deterrent value is north of zero.

Once more: You have nothing to worry about. The Carnival security personnal are not going to go thru your bag without you present.

Where does the new policy say that?

If that's true, why do they want the bags unlocked?

Sorry, but if Carnival wants the bags unlocked, that implies they intend to open bags without you present. Otherwise, why change the rules?

um, doesn't this imply that if you leave your luggage unlocked, they will go thru it without you present?

Commen sense says if you don't want anyone going thru your luggage lock it. But then some people are more then a little short on common sense this day and age.

I get a kick out of the folks who state that theft is not a problem and in the next breath say that it's insane to not carry anything of value along with you. Hello?

I'm a locker and if this does not bode well with Carnival, so be it.

I find it interesting to note how very many people Carnival has succeeded in ticking off with their, "Recommendation".

I am usually a bit sceptical of anyone who insists on taking a patrnalistic, benefecent attitude toward me and suggesting or imposing 'what is best' for me.:(

You really need to find a way to lighten up. A lot of people, including me, do not like the policy. Live with it.

Why don't you answer the question instead of your snide comment?????

I would like to know what your objection is. Carnival is not saying you must not unlock your luggage, so what is your objection?

I would like to know what your objection is. Carnival is not saying you must not unlock your luggage, so what is your objection?

They are saying that if you want you my unlock your luggage for your conveyance.

Why do you have a problem with this?????????

Bet you have no response except more snide comments….

If it is not against the law I will continue to lock my bags. If Carnival chooses to search my luggage, I will then determine an appropriate response to their actions. It could be a reduction or total elimination of the gratuities, letter of complaint, or both. I’m not sure at this time how I will respond.

If it is not against the law I will continue to lock my bags. If Carnival chooses to search my luggage, I will then determine an appropriate response to their actions. It could be a reduction or total elimination of the gratuities, letter of complaint, or both. I’m not sure at this time how I will respond.

You would punish your waiter and/or room steward if secuirty searched your luggage? That is horrible! Shame on you. :mad:

LOL, sounds like just another excuse to not tip. Silly reaction.:(

I don't lock my checked luggage.If people want my clothes and underwear,let them have it I use the twist ties that come on loaves of bread to connect the zippers so they don't come apart while being thrown around by porters.Anything that is important to me,I carry with me.With all the luggage being put on the ship,I don't think they have much time to be snooping in my luggage,if they do they will be pretty disappointed.The clothes are not new and there are no fancy labels on them.Just my two cents worth!

Laura

Carnival is not saying you must not unlock your luggage, so what is your objection?

Oh really??!! Well then Mr. Carnival cheerleader, explain this statement straight from the Carnival website: Note the paragraph I highlighted. Note the word MUST.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have luggage restrictions?

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits certain items onboard, i.e., weapons (including replica or toy weapons), candles, irons, alcohol, or other dangerous goods, and reserves the right to search guests' baggage and/or personal effects for any of the prohibited items, at any time, prior to embarkation and during the cruise. According to our policy, (as stated in clause 4f of the ticket contract), Carnival conducts security scanning of all baggage and if prohibited items are found, they will be removed and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be delivered to your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Unsealed containers with prohibited liquids will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case.

All checked luggage must be unlocked before turning over to the porters in order to avoid any inconvenience or delay in delivering the luggage to your stateroom.

Guests are encouraged to limit their checked luggage to two suitcases per person, with each suitcase not to weigh more than 50 pounds and not exceed 16"H x 24"W x 30"L. Please attach your Carnival Cruise Lines luggage tags PRIOR to leaving home and make sure that they are still on your bags when checking in with us. In many ports, guests have the option of carrying luggage on board at embarkation and off the ship at the end of the cruise as long as it does not exceed 24"w x 16"h. This is an advantage you may want to consider as it will allow for quicker easier access to your bags. Please note that Carnival assumes no responsibility for carry-on luggage.

Alternatively, curbside porters are available at the pier to take luggage to the vessel for delivery to your stateroom by shipboard personnel. Customary tip is $1 per bag. Please be sure each piece of luggage is unlocked and has a tag listing your name and stateroom number. Curbside porters are not employees of Carnival; therefore, if you experience any problems, please report them to porter management on site. Any luggage left at the pier will be forwarded at your expense. Claims for luggage loss or damage must be made in writing to the debarkation personnel prior to leaving the pier area.

If you are traveling by air, we strongly recommend that you contact your air carrier to obtain their luggage allowance policy for the maximum number, size and weight of bags that each guest is allowed at no charge. Guests are responsible for luggage fees, excess luggage charges as well as any other charges imposed by air carriers or airports. We recommend that each guest verify with the airline representative that their luggage is checked-in to their final destination.

NOTE: There is limited porter service on 2/3-day Cruises-to-Nowhere.

LARGE COOLERS RESTRICTION:

Carnival Cruise Lines does not allow guests to bring large coolers on board its vessels. However small, personal-sized coolers, no larger than 12”H x 12”W x 12”L for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages (6-12 cans) and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage. Screening and movement of large coolers through embarkation is an impediment to the boarding and security screening process and therefore large coolers are not permitted as carry-on or checked luggage.

DEBARKATION BAGGAGE ADVICE:

While onboard, you will be given numbered debarkation tags to place on your luggage. Please fill out the information on the back of the tag, and remember your zone number when your zone is called, please proceed off the vessel to claim your luggage. It is easy to pick up the wrong bag, so check to make sure your name is on it. If your luggage is left at the pier, it will be forwarded to you at your expense. Claims for lost or damaged luggage must be made in writing with our debarkation personnel before you leave the pier area.

They are saying that if you want you my unlock your luggage for your conveyance.

Why do you have a problem with this?????????

Bet you have no response except more snide comments….

I'm not understanding why:

A) you keep asking the same "what is your objection" instead of reading what people's objections are, and,

B) why you are soooo worked up about this??

Archived