Past Celebrity Cruisers ... compare RCCL!

Some have mentioned the Conde Nast survey. I had bookmarked the 2003 survey. When I returned to the site, I noticed that they have their 2004 survey results regarding cruise ships. Yes, Celebrity ships have snagged the first two spots, but Radiance of the Seas is in number 3. It received the highest grade for decor of the ship.

These surveys are subjective, based on reader response. Enchantment did the best of any RCCL cruise ship in the 2003 survey, but is further down this time around. I also wonder how Serenade or Brilliance, sister ships of the Radiance, did not even make the list? The same holds true of Navigator or Mariner, even though Voyager, Explorer, and Adventure did. Perhaps no readers were on these ships? My point...the survey is very subjective, depending on reader experience and response.

INHO, RCCL Voyager ships are beautiful, activity-packed cruising delights! Enjoy.

I wrote an answer to this post before and I have another observation. On Celebrity at 6PM they have a sushi bar set up in the buffet and we enjoyed it every night on the Mexican Riviera on the Mercury. Just returned from the Serenade to Hawaii and on the last evening we decided to go to the buffet (we had late seating for dinner) for some ice cream at 6PM. Lo and behold they had a sushi bar set up for dinner for people and they had it every night. Just in case you like sushi, look for it in the windjammer if you have late seating in the dining room ( You can go to each place if you are really hungry). On Celebrity, you have to reserve ahead of time to eat in the buffet in the evening. Enjoy your cruising. Best

What is the price difference for these two cruiseslines? What should I expect to pay for a 7 night cruise in a balcony for four people on Celebrity? How is their program for children or isn't there one? Or would you say Celebrity cruises are best for adults only?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>RCCL's passengers are more varied - younger skewing, more folks from many walks of life and economic areas. Definitely more families. Celebrity is probably a bit more high end skewing, it promotes a quieter environment - you won't find belly flop contests at a Celebrity pool. The class of people on X seem a bit more reserved, and the ship reflects less of a "party" atmosphere. This doesn't mean X is stuffy, it just promotes a bit of a more refined environment.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I don't think you're completely right...

It really depends on a time of the year and cruise.

During my last year East Car. cruise on Century there were many families and we did have belly flop contest in the pool. We also had great Carribean night going from San Juan. I also found Century staffers to be very outgoing. icon_smile.gif We had 2 nice kareoke sessions with many people participating.

------------------------------

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Splendour of the Seas 05/15/04 Barcelona - Marseilles - Villefranche - Livorno - Chivitavecchia - Naples - Barcelona

<LI>Century 07/12/03 Eastern Caribbean FFL-San Juan - St. Thomas - St.Maarten- Nassau -FFL

<LI>Komarno(Volga)07/91 Moscow - Astrahan' - Moscow (honeymoon)

<LI>Komarno(Volga)07/90 Moscow - Astrahan'- Moscow

<LI>Admiral Nachimov(or Nakhimov) (Black Sea)04/1986 Odessa - Batum

GO BRUINS!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ashley24:

What is the price difference for these two cruiseslines? What should I expect to pay for a 7 night cruise in a balcony for four people on Celebrity? How is their program for children or isn't there one? Or would you say Celebrity cruises are best for adults only?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think there is a price difference. When you are looking for a price you also have to compare similar classes. For example Century class compares to the Vision class and Millenium to Radiance (and Voyager).

------------------------------

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Splendour of the Seas 05/15/04 Barcelona - Marseilles - Villefranche - Livorno - Chivitavecchia - Naples - Barcelona

<LI>Century 07/12/03 Eastern Caribbean FFL-San Juan - St. Thomas - St.Maarten- Nassau -FFL

<LI>Komarno(Volga)07/91 Moscow - Astrahan' - Moscow (honeymoon)

<LI>Komarno(Volga)07/90 Moscow - Astrahan'- Moscow

<LI>Admiral Nachimov(or Nakhimov) (Black Sea)04/1986 Odessa - Batum

GO BRUINS!!!!

RCI OR CELEBRITY???

Each cruise is different. Each ship is different. The point is...you can have a great time on one and a bad time on the other and a week later it can be just the opposite. You never know what or who will affect your cruise.

The answer is...There is no answer!!! LOL!!! So stop worrying and get cruising. In all the years we have cruised we have never had a bad one. There is always something nice to experience when you are on a cruise.

ROSS

RMS QUEEN ELIZABETH 1965/TS BREMEN 1971/RMS AMERIKANIS 1972/SS FRANCE 1973/SS FRANCE 1973/QE II 1975/QE II 1975/TS LEONARDO DaVINCI 1976/QE II 1978/TS GALLILAO 1984/ MV REGENT SEA 1988/MV ZENITH 1992/SS NORWAY 1993/MV HORIZON 1998/GTS NORWEGIAN SUN 2001/GTS CENTURY 2002/GTS SUMMIT 2003/GTS JEWEL OF THE SEAS 2004

Hdawson, I have never ate in the Lido buffet on a RC cruise ship but when in the Windjammer and the Island grill and they do have trays and mine was carried icon_wink.gif

My opinion is if you are on a cruise ship it is better than being at home, and life is great!!

Toni

Infinity Hawaii 2004

Galaxy 2003

Voyager 2002

Explorer 2001

We met some folks on our last X cruise who were with their daughters - I think they were between 7 and 11 in age. They loved the kids activities on X. Again, it's just been our experience that there are less families on Celebrity. I'm sure that the time of year is a factor on that - we usually cruise in November when parents are less likely to take school age children out. There are probably more kids during holidays and summer sailings. But I think normandie is right - tatka and I seem to have been on different cruise lines. DOesn't make either of us right or wrong - it just shows the variance among cruises.

As for price, again, depends on time of year. We have found RCCL to be a little less expensive than X, but the difference is usually just a couple hundred dollars.

Century 99-00

Rhapsody 11/00

Rhapsody 10/01

Infinity 2/02

Millennium 11/02

Millennium 11/03

Rhapsody 11/04

We have been waiting for Celbrity to post the European schedule. Meanwhile we booked the Jewel for N. Europe. Our TA got the schedule and prices. They biggest difference is the Celebrity cruise is 14 days (12 in Jewel), has 2 days in Stockholm and doesn't go to Oslo. The price for Celebrity is $55 more per person per day for a comparable cabin on Constellation. The prices for both are an aft cabin. After much discussion, we decided that we couldn't justify the price difference. We could take another shorter cruise for the total price difference of almost $2400. Another factor is that we met friends from Oslo on our Mediterranean cruise several years ago and we would like to visit them.

RE: Compare RCL to Celebrity

My summary below is based on; data/observations from cruises in the last 5 years - done 3 Celebrity (couple) and 1 RCL (family) and observing the advertising for both lines and comments in magazines, CC.

It is tough these days to generalize cruise lines as they are desperate to accept any $. The lines have deviated from their prior target market and product offerings and made it difficult to select a cruise line and be reasonably guaranteed you know what you will get - The most prominent offender was Celebrity. It used to be a higher end line but descended into the mass market.

A general profile:

RCL - Targeting middle class North Americans with moderate mass produced food quality, overt/friendly service, catering to active singles and nuclear families/family groups, in your face entertainment and activities (skating rinks, rock climbing, LaVegas Reviews)with striking ship design emphasizing chrome, glass, plastic, neon. Good product

Celebrity - In the past and seemingly going forward now (after an unfocused 3 years with very low per diems) - Targeting upper middle class North Americans with emphasis on couples and corporate groups while accepting but not promoting families, excellent quality mass produced food with formal European service (not overtly friendly but very competent and practiced everywhere including buffet area on pool deck), more sedate than RCL in entertainment (wine and cooking classes, classical music concerts, harps in lobby during captain gathering with some high energy shows). Ships show more use of wood, marble etc than RCL.

Either line provides good product - it depends upon your personal style as to which you pick.

We only travel Celebrity as we are not interested in being with families and we require a professional but not in our face level of service complemented by high food quality. Classy guest behavior and decorum are important.

Trust this is of assistance

ABoatNerd

Thank you all for your feedback and reassurance. We are looking forward to our cruise and feel that we will have a good time. I am certain that RCCL is not of the same caliber as Celebrity and I am prepared for that. We cruise in either October or February to avoid the kids and family crowds. So I'm not expecting that to be problematic since kids are sure to be in school during that time. I do like the classy environment and first class white glove type of treatment. I also enjoy the clientele that comes with that. But I think it is important to venture and try other things. It would not surprise me to find that I return to Celebrity. As for the staff and crew, I know many of them by now and they have never failed to provide service far beyond our wildest dreams. RCCL has a big order to fill but then maybe that's why they purchased Celebrity, so that they can offer both options. We will keep an open mind and enjoy every minute. But I will miss Celebrity, I am certain. Thank you guys!!

slavearlen,

There are many schools, particularly in the Northeast, that are closed for a week in February if you are looking to avoid kids...And many of these families like to cruise!

Archived