Holland America Statendam by a Previously Princess and Celebrity Only Cruiser

JWJs

The 12/21/09 Statendam out of Fort Lauderdale was our first Holland America cruise. We previously had cruised 7 times on Princess and 2 times on Celebrity. We chose the 12/21/09 Statendam based on price and itinerary. I found the cruise on the Holland America Website and booked it through our travel agent. We flew into Fort Lauderdale 1 day early. Our pre-cruise hotel stay was at the Hilton, located right off the north side of the Seventeenth Street Bridge. (Wonderful hotel stay and great rate—booked right off the Hilton website.)

In the months and days leading up to our cruise, I continually searched for and read every Statendam cruise review and every bit of general thread information available on CC and other web sites. Although I do this for every cruise we take, I was extremely curious about the condition of the Statendam (christened in 1993) and what our first HAL cruise would deliver.

I also checked out every picture of the Statendam I could find on different web sites including my favorite, Webshots. Never did see a picture of our cabin which is always nice to see pre-cruise but did see many of the aft deck pool and knew that area would be wonderful and it was exactly that…WONDERFUL.

The information I found pre-cruise for Statendam was limited and what little I did find was sketchy. Plus, there were zero “it was a wonderful cruise and I loved the ship” reviews/comments or anything even close.

Instead, I found recent reports of major plumbing leaks-flooded cabins, cabin temperatures too hot, shabby rooms, engine failure problems and late port arrivals! YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!! However, I did find SOME promising/encouraging reports that said the ship was fine and at least one who reported that the Statendam was their favorite ship.

Based on the many disparaging reports, I was more than a bit concerned about what I had gotten us into since I cancelled a 10 day 12/20/09 Ruby Princess (new ship with glowing reviews) cruise to book the 18 day 12/21/09 Statendam (old ship—bad reviews/comments) cruise.

So…here is my take on our 12/21 Statendam cruise.

We arrived at the ship terminal right at 11:00. The porters immediately took our bags and put them in a baggage collection carrier. We spent 20 minutes or so roaming around the outside of the terminal area taking numerous pictures of the ship through the chain link fence and enjoying the hustle and bustle of embarkation day.

Then, we decided it was time to go into the terminal and go through the boarding process. For Princess, you have to show your Express Boarding papers as you enter the terminal. All HAL representatives wanted to see was our Passports and they asked us to each fill out a health questionnaire and take it to the main check-in desk. EASY. At the main check-in desk, our passports were run through the reader and our photos were taken. Once again, EASY. Then we were each given a ship cards and a plastic boarding number and told to head to the boarding area. Within a few short minutes, our boarding number was called and we were walking up the gangway to board the Statendam. EXCITED...as always.

First impressions are lasting impressions. We were extremely pleased to find the inside of the ship to be one of understated elegance. With our carry-ons in tow, we headed up to the Lido buffet for lunch--all the other passengers were there or close by with their bags in tow. We found the Lido to be very small compared to Princess and Celebrity buffets but found the food to be MUCH, MUCH better. I had a Rubin sandwich cooked fresh on the Panini grill that was WONDERFUL, even without sauerkraut.

After we ate, with our carry-ons still in tow (not used to this….on Princess and Celebrity we always drop our carry-ons off in our cabin first thing after boarding), we walked around the pool area and upper decks. No disappointment…the ship continued to be understated elegant.

We were then becoming a bit impatient to get to our cabin and see a HAL cabin for the first time…but we were told the cabins were not ready yet so we went back to the Lido buffet to spend the remainder of our wait for cabin time.

FINALLY…the “rooms are ready” announcement was made and we headed to 0049…our veranda suite on the Navigation Deck.

Opening the door…we found a lovely well cared for cabin. We took a lot of pictures and video of the cabin and balcony before our bags arrived as we knew that would be the last time the cabin would be so neat and tidy and uncluttered. We wound up 2 doors from the first Deluxe Veranda suite (cabins and balconies twice the size of ours plus these passengers had entry to the Neptune Lounge.)

Our 049 cabin on the Navigation deck was only steps away from the aft elevators and stairs with only one floor up to the Lido buffet. The Lido outside overhang, was right above our cabin balcony so our balcony did not get much direct sun light. We loved the cabin and the cabin location.

Since there were major snow storms and delays up the east coast on the day prior to our cruise, we thought our departure from Fort Lauderdale would be delayed… but not to worry. We left right on time. The delayed people, including the Captain of the ship, didn’t catch up with the Statendam until 2 days later in Mayaguez, Porto Rico.

Our cruise on the Statendam was for 18 days, from Fort Lauderdale, through the Panama Canal, up the Mexican Rivera coast to San Diego. If one likes tons of ship board activity, the Statendam would not be for them. However, if one likes a great ship with a fabulous crew, fabulous food, and what I would think is the ‘way it used to be cruise world’ the Statendam would work just fine for them. We loved every minute on the ship and didn't have any trouble finding things to do...it was just an awesome cruise.

The food was incredible…never dull or boring or quanity versus quality. Yes, the buffet is small compared to Princess and Celebrity buffets, but the food served on the Statendam was absolutely WONDERFUL. Does fresh squeezed orange juice for breakfast count? It sure did for me.

The food served in the dining room was the best ever cruise ship food. However, the service for our table for eight was slow and tiring. Our waiter was doing the best he could do…with little help. After the seventh night of poor service…someone at our table reported the problem to the matradee. The next night the service level was impeccable and the food continued to be the best food ever on a cruise ship.

On day 12, heading up the Pacific coast (right after going through the Panama Canal) towards the Mexican Rivera, the Statendam had some kind of engine problems. We languished in the Pacific going along at a very slow speed and sometimes at a dead standstill for hours. The yum yum man (the guy who hands out the figs and mints when you leave the dining room) said the engine had to be repaired and they were testing it that day. Also something about the stabilizers were fixed or were being fixed. Anyway…it was a lovely sea day and we enjoyed the aft pool, our balcony and the Lido. We were in no hurry so the slow speed was fine with us.

In summary, we loved being on the Statendam and we loved the ship and we were very pleased with Holland America overall. The final decision was, YES, we will be taking another HAL cruise. So we put down our “Future Cruise Deposit” like we always do while on board a Princess cruise ship and we are now looking forward to our next Holland America cruise!

In summary: We loved sailing on The Elegant and Stately Statendam (which is what the Captain and the Cruise Director always said when talking about the ship.)

When our cruise ended, the Statendam was headed up the coast to Vancouver to serve as a hotel for the winter Olympics’ security staff. Then, the Elegant and Stately Statendam will be off to dry dock for a redo.

My many Statendam pictures are posted in Webshots if you are interested in viewing them.

Thanks for posting your thoughts on your first HAL cruise. I notice many comments that the buffet on HAL is superior to Princess. That panini grill sounds wonderful.

Another example of how one needs to try another line themselves to form their own opinion and not take everything here as facts.:)

I sailed on a B2B Alaska cruise on the Statendam back in2001 and on her sister the Ryndam

in 2008. I really liked both ships and their layout. Great size and HAL really made use of the covered pool area for lots of events. I'm not a big fan of their entertainment and consider there food OK but would surely sail on both again. Sure wish Princess would look at teh ship layout for any new builds. Love the forward observation lounge, the large library/ internet/reading area.

Thanks for the report What was the age range compared to Princess and was the dress as casual, more dressy, etc?

Hi dpump.

I was expecting to see " a lot of older passengers" based on what I had read and heard. What we found was a mix of all ages.:) Only a few parents with kids on board. One couple from the states said they took their kids out of school for the 18 day cruise.

There were 5 formal nights during the 18 day cruise. I would say the people at our table for 8 were in the more dressy category. Sorry, I really didn't pay much attention to what other people were wearing in the dining room.

For daytime, casual wear was typical of all the cruises I've been on. :)

Thanks for the review; I enjoyed reading it. By the way, I arrived in FLL on your sailing day and saw you guys leaving. I waved -- then I put my hands back on the wheel before my rented Camry followed your ship into the ocean . . . .

Just curious: how many passengers does the Statendam carry? And what time did you ultimately get into your cabin? And, I presume the pools are saltwater?

Thank you for the info. I find it funny all this, on a Princess thread about Holland, I love it. We've only done Princess but are taking our first Holland in Oct. on the Westerdam.

For some reason Holland threads are not nearly as active as Princess threads. No seems to be active on the roll call for us either.

I adore Princess and hope we like Holland as well, the only reason we did the Holland thing was the timing of a transatlantic cruise. The Princess one I really wanted to do would bring us home only a couple of days before christmas after 28 days. The Holland cruise might be a bit warmer as we're gone half of Oct and a bit of Nov, back before the holidays.

Hoping for all things good.

Thanks for the review; I enjoyed reading it. By the way, I arrived in FLL on your sailing day and saw you guys leaving. I waved -- then I put my hands back on the wheel before my rented Camry followed your ship into the ocean . . . .

Just curious: how many passengers does the Statendam carry? And what time did you ultimately get into your cabin? And, I presume the pools are saltwater?

Hi rdsqrl.

The Passenger capacity is 1,258. I'm not sure of the exact time we got into our cabin but think it was around 2:00. We had so much fun eating and exploring the ship it really didn't bother us much having to wait. Yes...the pools are saltwater and very cold. We usually swim in the ship's pool but 'no could do' on the Statendam.

Thank you for the info. I find it funny all this, on a Princess thread about Holland, I love it. We've only done Princess but are taking our first Holland in Oct. on the Westerdam.

For some reason Holland threads are not nearly as active as Princess threads. No seems to be active on the roll call for us either.

I adore Princess and hope we like Holland as well, the only reason we did the Holland thing was the timing of a transatlantic cruise. The Princess one I really wanted to do would bring us home only a couple of days before christmas after 28 days. The Holland cruise might be a bit warmer as we're gone half of Oct and a bit of Nov, back before the holidays.

Hoping for all things good.

I hope you enjoy your cruise on the Westerdam as much or more than we enjoyed our cruise on the Statendam.:) The Westerdam is one of the ships we are looking at for our next HAL cruise. You are so right...the roll calls are very quiet on the HAL thread. Ours for the 12/21/09 was rare...we had over 500 posts as I recall. One person even booked the 12/21 because of the Roll Call. :)

Hi rdsqrl.

The Passenger capacity is 1,258. I'm not sure of the exact time we got into our cabin but think it was around 2:00. We had so much fun eating and exploring the ship it really didn't bother us much having to wait. Yes...the pools are saltwater and very cold. We usually swim in the ship's pool but 'no could do' on the Statendam.

I don't remember which pool was what but when I was on the Oosterdam, at least one pool was fresh water and another was salt water. It may have been the spa pool that you pay for that was fresh water - sorry I don't remember.

I really enjoyed reading your post! After seven Princess cruises, we took our first HAL cruise on the Maasdam in 2008. She is the Statendam's sister ship. We fell in love with the ship and HAL so much we were back on the Maasdam 4 months later.

Cruised the Westerdam in November. It was also a great cruise although different from the Maasdam since it is a much bigger ship.

We still enjoy Princess and are leaving for a cruise on the Grand Princess in 30 days. We are driven by price and itinerary, but I must say we really do enjoy HAL a bit more than Princess for many little reasons.

Cheers, Denise

JWJs, thanks so much for your well-written comparison review. We are set to try HAL next month, so it really helps to hear that you were so pleased with them. Glad to hear you had such a nice time on the Statendam, even though we missed you on the Ruby for Christmas. It sounds like there are many more HAL cruises in your future, which is great. How did you enjoy the Canal and the rest of the itinerary?

I'm planning on checking out your photos later, when I have more time. Do you have any more tips for a first timer on HAL?

JWJs, thanks so much for your well-written comparison review. We are set to try HAL next month, so it really helps to hear that you were so pleased with them. Glad to hear you had such a nice time on the Statendam, even though we missed you on the Ruby for Christmas. It sounds like there are many more HAL cruises in your future, which is great. How did you enjoy the Canal and the rest of the itinerary?

I'm planning on checking out your photos later, when I have more time. Do you have any more tips for a first timer on HAL?

Hi Infi. Good to see you...I knew you would find my review. :) That was sweet that you all thought about me and missed me on the Ruby. I was really concerned about the Statendam and missing out on the Ruby but we had a wonderful cruise experience on the Statendam and we were really impressed with HAL.

We arrived in FLL so late on 12/20, I barely got to see the Ruby sail away. My view was from our hotel...the Hyatt located on the north side of the 17th Street bridge.

The 18 days on the Statendam were awesome...the ship really felt like home. Loved San Blas...Christina said you would take the cruise we were on just to go back to San Blas. It was great to go all the way through the canal. For a couple of the ports we had to make our own experience a good one and others were totally wonderful. However all of the ports were interesting.

As far as being a first timer on HAL, we enjoyed the small S ship experience--only 1259 passengers. If we forgot something, it was a very short walk back to your cabin to get it. The ship had what I consider the old time cruise look and feel. The promenade deck was beautiful. Also loved being able to walk out on the bow of the ship--any time--night or day. We were on the bow right up front for the canal. That was awesome. Food was terrific...always a delight and never boring.

What HAL ship are you sailing on next month? How's the Roll Call for that cruise? The HAL roll calls for the most part are slow...not many posters. Our 12/21 Roll Call had over 500 posts which is totally unusual for the HAL Roll Call threads. I asked about it on the main HAL board and they pretty much said that it is just the way it is. Oh well.

Again, nice to hear from you and will be looking forward to hearing all about your HAL cruise! Please tell Christina I said hello. It was interesting posting my review right on the big HAL board and reading the responses. I'm getting acquainted with the HAL posters.

We like both HAL and Princess.

Although we have only sailed 3 HAL ships so cannot speak for all of them, we noticed that on all three, embarcation was allowed fairly early although the actual cabins were not usually available until somewhere between 1-30pm and 2pm.

This gave us time to have lunch or snack, to use the lounges and restrooms and to walk around exploring the ship while we wait. On HAL ships they close the fire doors so that new pax cannot wander around the accommodation areas getting in the way of staff who are trying to get the cabins ready as quickly as they can.

We really appreciate this and understand that on changeover days it takes some time to get all cabins turned around. It is one of the little things about HAL which we really like because some other lines do not allow embarcation until much later in the day and who wants to hang around a dock for hours especially if the weather is not good or you are dressed for the climate you left rather than the one you arrived into.

We also love the cabins, so spacious and with wonderful mattresses and linens, not to mention the towels and bathrobes. And the 24/7 room service menu is probably one of the best anywhere at sea...unless they changed it recently.

Thanks for the review. Could you tell me if dinner was offered any other place beside the dining room.? Our cruise style has changed over the years, and we really like to go to the buffet, or anytime dining at a time we choose.

Hal ships offer "As you wish dining" in the dining room as well as the traditional dining, dinner is also served in the Lido buffet area and dinner is also served thru room service ( free).

Hi Jeannie!

We thought about you and your cruise on HAL. When we had our CC get together the first sea day on the Ruby you were definitely mentioned and we wondered how you would like your Christmas cruise. Believe me, you were missed on the Ruby.

But, it sounds like you had a wonderful time. I figured you and Jim would. I have a friend, well I haven't seen her in years, that did a cruise on the Statendam to Alaska and loved it. She raved about their chocolate buffet, though I don't know if they still have that.

There was just no way we could have done the 18 day cruise with the college schedule for Lindsay. It would be so nice and relaxing, but 5 formal nights? Now for me that is a bit of over kill. A couple is fine, but I don't know what I would wear for that many.

Glad it was a great cruise. I do hope we all sail again together though. It was fun seeing Denise, Cindy and Linda on the Ruby.

Take care and glad you had fun.

Susan

Archived