One-Way Award Tickets - United

NHBob

This may be of interest to cruisers who often need 1-way tickets before or after a cruise.

I have just discovered that United Airlines has followed American's and several other carriers' lead and is now offering one-way award tickets. This is a fairly new development and is still flagged as "New" on the UAL website. Miles required for 1-way awards are 1/2 of the round-trip miles. This applies to both "Saver" and "Standard" awards.

There is one catch: 1-way awards are currently only available for flights operated by United or United Express - not on code shares or Star Alliance partners. Hopefully this will change at some point to meet the AA competition. AA has, for some time, been issuing 1-way award tickets not only on AA and American Eagle, but also on One-World partner carriers.

May have been posted before but I just figured it out this weekend and was thrilled. My miles are split between UA and AA. I do have enough for 2 lowest category r/t saver awards in each progarm BUT with one way, can look at two one ways in each program and look at going back to europe.

I didn't know about United and United Express only however so that may put a crimp in where I can go.

I hadn't checked United lately, so thanks for the information. You just alerted me that I can get first class flights to Hawaii one way with my miles. I now have a huge smile on my face, thought we were going to be stuck in economy again as we are only flying one way. :) :)

I personaly see this as a home run for UA but there are a few people out there that don't like the fact there is no longer stop overs that are permited. But seeing this is a cruise line web site, passengers should know if they simply open up a Chase MP credit card and charge a few thousand $ on it they can have a free one-way ticket to Europe for a transalantic cruise back to the US;)

I have personally booked a couple one-ways with miles already and no problems.

This may be of interest to cruisers who often need 1-way tickets before or after a cruise.

I have just discovered that United Airlines has followed American's and several other carriers' lead and is now offering one-way award tickets. This is a fairly new development and is still flagged as "New" on the UAL website. Miles required for 1-way awards are 1/2 of the round-trip miles. This applies to both "Saver" and "Standard" awards.

There is one catch: 1-way awards are currently only available for flights operated by United or United Express - not on code shares or Star Alliance partners. Hopefully this will change at some point to meet the AA competition. AA has, for some time, been issuing 1-way award tickets not only on AA and American Eagle, but also on One-World partner carriers.

AS/Alaska were the pioneer for this in North American travel, but with UA, and with all of the partners the one way rewards are limited to travelling on UA metal.

Also, it doesn't mean that if you have a partner's points (let's say US for example) you can book a UA one way (right now). That's also true that despite both AS and AA having one way travel, you can't book an AA one way using AS points

Summary for North American carriers offering one ways

AS, AA, UA: All offer one way tickets for 1/2 the price of a round trip

AC: Offer one way tickets, only through their call centre not online, for approx 3/4 of the price of a round trip

• 1 year later...
... but with UA, and with all of the partners the one way rewards are limited to travelling on UA metal...

This may be old news, but I've just noticed that United is now offering 1-way bookings on code shares and Star Alliance partners. There is, however, a catch: you can't do it on-line, at least not yet, so you have to do it by phone and pay the phone fee.

Award charts for Star Alliance bookings made both before and after 6/15/11 can be found on UA website.

Bob

This took effect last summer, maybe as early as May. I booked DW's one way award ticket for this coming May 27 the minute they came available to be booked, and got a Saver Award. So that means this option was available in July of 2010.

This may be old news, but I've just noticed that United is now offering 1-way bookings on code shares and Star Alliance partners. There is, however, a catch: you can't do it on-line, at least not yet, so you have to do it by phone and pay the phone fee.

Award charts for Star Alliance bookings made both before and after 6/15/11 can be found on UA website.

Bob

Yes, it's a StarAlliance move. You can book one ways on most star alliance carriers on Aeroplan's [Air Canada] now.

Bob

The same restriction with AA. You have to call for all Oneworld and Partner award reservation and pay the phone fee.

Archived