Pregnant on Formal Nights

maf07

I am taking a 7 day cruise in March on Voyager of the Seas.

I will be nearing 5 months pregnant and have a note from my doctor that I am fit to travel and cruise with no complications.

Since I'm not really wanting to spend a lot of money on a formal maternity dress for 2 formal dinners, could I get away with wearing slacks and a dressy maternity top?

I went to Macy's and got 2 dresses on clearance for less than $60 total that had enough room to accommodate my belly but weren't actually maternity - it was just empire-waist and kind of floaty. They were the perfect solution. I'm due in June :)

You might give it a try - and congratulations! :)

I wear black slacks and a dressy top on formal nights and I'm NOT pregnant (age 60+)! Go ahead and wear that!

Same here. That's what I wear because I'm one size on top and larger on bottom. So most dresses are out. :o

Can't use the PG excuse when you're in the 60's. :eek:

My daughter didn't buy ANY maternity clothes that I'm aware of? She spent her later months in lots of sundresses that accomodated her abdoment very easily and were cheap and pretty to boot! Macy's carries a lot of cute, inexpensive maxi-dresses. Easy to find one on sale. Give that a shot.

Or you could do one dress with different accessories. Choose a dress you could wear after the cruise as well. I'm starting to prefer a dress (not pregnant, too old) to slacks/tops, it makes packing more simple. I like shorter length as well, no more long dresses for me.

I also think it depends on your body type and how your pregnancy is being carried. When I was pregnant, both times there was absolutely no way I could wear regular clothes, my tummy stuck out too far. I do see women wearing shirts that are so much shorter in front, to the point their waistbands are showing, or their dress hem is 6 inches higher in the front...it looks so weird. A maternity wardrobe doesn't have to consist of a lot of pieces, just pieces that work together well and can be used for different events.

Pregnancy is no excuse to look sloppy, you should feel as beautiful as you look :)

Archived