I feel violated...and not in a good way :-(

floridacruzin

I can tell you for certain that the TA that books the CC group cruises does NOT charge a silly $25 fee for price reductions. And, you do not need to be on a group booking for that favor, either.

I had my NCL Hawaii cruise drop in price twice (Saved over $1,000) and the TA gladly updated my confirmation documents with the new price. There was never a hint that this was inconvenient. In fact, they made a point to mention that they will do price drops (but you have to ask.)

If there were a TA charging $25 for that service when other excellent TAs do not charge, I would have to ask how the TAs who charge stay in business.

Buyer beware!

But does that TA discount by 10%. I know I was past final payment and they wound up overnighting me a $5 store card when the price dropped, cost $10 in postage and the rep told me they had to mail back a small amount of commission each time the price drops.

A lot of the hard work is due to them discounting. The OPs argument is that yes, he was aware of the $25 change fee when he booked, but he didnt think processing a price drop counted as a change.

I asked the TA who does the CC cruises if she would give me any OBC or anything for booking with her and she said she couldnt... so she gives nothing and the OP's TA gives 10%. Im not defending the $25, but I also wouldnt book with the CC TA if she gives you nothing to book with her, Id book direct. .. and yes, Iv talked to her.

OP, I guess at this point I dont see the difference. Paying $25 to get the price drop, or paying $25 to cancel.

btw I worked for American Express Disputes, and you have to have a valid reason to dispute. "dissatisfaction" is very nebulous and most likely you will lose the dispute. The criteria for winning when you are just unhappy is more strict than other dispute reasons. Its not even because they werent doing a good job, just that you say you dont think a price drop should be considered a change (but you could and should have clarified this upfront).

Im now booking direct, after I hit that $25 myself, didnt like it, but I didnt immediately cancel all my booking, just started to book direct with Carnvial. I didnt make a huge deal of it. I guess I understand a price drop is a change though.

OP, I guess at this point I dont see the difference. Paying $25 to get the price drop, or paying $25 to cancel.

btw I worked for American Express Disputes, and you have to have a valid reason to dispute. "dissatisfaction" is very nebulous and most likely you will lose the dispute. The criteria for winning when you are just unhappy is more strict than other dispute reasons. Its not even because they werent doing a good job, just that you say you dont think a price drop should be considered a change (but you could and should have clarified this upfront).

Im now booking direct, after I hit that $25 myself, didnt like it, but I didnt immediately cancel all my booking, just started to book direct with Carnvial. I didnt make a huge deal of it. I guess I understand a price drop is a change though.

One day i will be smart too..however, I do have a disclaimer at the bottom of my signature. If they are going to call out in the T&Cs what they consider a change...change sail date, cancel, room change, name change......then surely the should point them all out for people like me :rolleyes: I did not think I made a "big deal" Just vented and stated my problem as well as the solution to my problem.... One day I will get it

But yes, I will cancel as stated several posts ago...Thanks everyone

One day i will be smart too..however, I do have a disclaimer at the bottom of my signature. If they are going to call out in the T&Cs what they consider a change...change sail date, cancel, room change, name change......then surely the should point them all out for people like me :rolleyes: I did not think I made a "big deal" Just vented and stated my problem as well as the solution to my problem.... One day I will get it

As you have read, I stopped booking with this TA for the same reason, I just didnt cancel ... just stopped using them.

Im not saying you are smart or not smart, despite what you want to think, just saying dont cut off your nose to spite your face. Why pay to cancel? but then I cruised 8 times in 12 months ... and taking that much business from them ... I voted with my feet too. Im sure none of my cruises are big business, but it all adds up. They made their decision and I made mine to book direct.

Im just sorry you feel so upset over the change fee. .. and yes you do seem "that upset" to me to vent and cancel, and dispute the charge and all that extra work.

PS you do stand a good chance if you are only disputing $50 that Amex will just write the amount off and send you a letter "the credit will remain on your account". Of course Im sure you know that lessens your value to Amex, its all computerized, even if they dont admit it to you. We also dont tell you if we write it off, because some folks want the money to come from the merchant, which is what I said has little chance of happening, but I routinely wrote off $50 charges all the time.

Exactly why I never have and never will use a TA. Their commission is so small on cruises they have very little incentive to work for the customer.

The funny thing is, all the stories about people seeing lower fares and calling the TA to get the fare...why pay a TA if you are tracking the fares yourself?

My buddy and I were just talking the other day about how we can't believe with all the information a click away why anyone would use a TA. CC is free and has better info than any TA.

I would cancel too. If the TA's T&C don't say price drops are considered to be grounds for the $25 change fee, they shouldn't be able to charge it. In contract law whoever writes the contract loses when there is vagueness like this.

As you have read, I stopped booking with this TA for the same reason, I just didnt cancel ... just stopped using them.

Im not saying you are smart or not smart, despite what you want to think, just saying dont cut off your nose to spite your face. Why pay to cancel? but then I cruised 8 times in 12 months ... and taking that much business from them ... I voted with my feet too. Im sure none of my cruises are big business, but it all adds up. They made their decision and I made mine to book direct.

Im just sorry you feel so upset over the change fee. .. and yes you do seem "that upset" to me to vent and cancel, and dispute the charge and all that extra work.

Really not that upset. Been in customer service a long time and after waiting on hold for 42minutes listening to their cheesy music, to be told it takes a lot of their time to make a change, I realized my time was of no importance. I already had cruise critic opened and figured I would share my experience...the way I see it most of the posters/readers have figured out who i booked through. So the thread served its purpose

25.00 is an easy choice for me...if the cruise price drops further, and I have re-booked with Carnival then..It was worth it. Yeah, I cruise once a year, nothing fantabulous, but, if all the little guys start to leave they have a problem.

Exactly why I never have and never will use a TA. Their commission is so small on cruises they have very little incentive to work for the customer.

The funny thing is, all the stories about people seeing lower fares and calling the TA to get the fare...why pay a TA if you are tracking the fares yourself?

My buddy and I were just talking the other day about how we can't believe with all the information a click away why anyone would use a TA. CC is free and has better info than any TA.

$200.00 less for the stateroom:confused:

This whole thread is a symptom of many things, the most important of which is that the business models of TA are going to have to change. In teh past travel providers paid commissions to TA so that they would not have to deal with people who were not familiar with the travel industry.

The airlines were the first to stop paying commissions. With the advent of the Internet it is now much easier for people to handle their own business and travel agents are losing business. The only way that they can continue to function is to find new sources of income other than the travel industry, so they start imposing fees.

Soon we are going to discover that travel providers stop paying any commission and expect people to book on their own. Will this be the end of TAs? No, but they will start charging by the hour or a flat fee for a service like they do now for airline tickets.

This will happen within the next 5 to 8 years is my guess.

A lot of new cruisers have no knowledge of CC (only 1-2% of all cruisers pop up here...) and they could really use the help from a good TA who has knowledge to share and represents multiple lines. That information can't be obtained from an agent working for a single line.

A lot of new cruisers have no knowledge of CC (only 1-2% of all cruisers pop up here...) and they could really use the help from a good TA who has knowledge to share and represents multiple lines. That information can't be obtained from an agent working for a single line.

For me it was the fact that the TA was 200.00 less than Carnival....And now I am educated, not by CC, but from my personal experience to know my risks;)

For me it was the fact that the TA was 200.00 less than Carnival....And now I am educated, not by CC, but from my personal experience to know my risks;)

Perhaps you will get an even bigger price drop and come out ahead.

You could google for groups on your cruise and see if you can sail on a group rate perhaps savings ome $$$$...and get a few extra amenities...

We don't pay the TA's...........the cruiselines do;) Knowledge is everything........

I booked thru TA too. I think this was a costly mistake. I booked ES back in August for an April (spring break) cruise. I'm seeing on the boards that some people are getting price drops for April, but I've heard nothing from my TA. I don't think she will look for a price drop b/c we're in a suite so we can't go higher. I'm beginning to wonder if I should have booked this myself. She was just so convincing though ....

I book with a TA and have had no problems w/her. She might let me know about the price drops, but I always check for price drops because it is my money. If I see a drop, I call my TA & she takes care of everything.

I thought that TA's and cruise booking websites couldn't charge less for a cabin than what Carnival is charging. Was the $200 for OBC or something else?

Get a NICE PVP from Carnival.You will avoid a lot of heartache Mine is great He chose cabins for me and they have been good choices plus it is easier to deal with the Cruiseline directly

I have PVP with ALL cruiseline

I had SOOOOOOOOOOO much trouble with an on-line agency that now I give my bizness to the lines directly

Call and get one

Carnival doesn't do unilateral TA to Carnival transfers, except for exrtreme TA malfeasance, which this isn't. ken

I called yesterday and am able (on Monday) with the TA on a conference call to release the reservation from them to Carnival.

In my situation, my husband booked the cruise - it's our first one- (and we kind of thought let's talk to someone "in the know") but our "TA" is never in the office, or we just missed her and quite frankly, isn't looking out for our best interest, IMO. I made a call to Carnival and they said I can transfer the reservation to Carnival.

The way I see it, the TA's are NOT working on commission only, they are getting paid a salary + commission, you need to be working for me, not me doing the work and calling you.

The only way you are going to fix this is to cancel, pay the cancellation fee ( your dispute with AMEX will be denied because you agree that the cancellation penalty applies) and rebook.

This should be a lesson to people that use TAs that discount or give you great credits. These people are not working for free and every time you contact them you make them work more and usually to get less commission.

What part of you are not taking money out of my pocket do people not understand.

It is simply a matter of time until more TAs start charging for any change of any type to a booking including any price change or cabin upgrade, etc.

Better luck next time.

Will AMEX even investigate a $25 dispute. Can't be worth their time :confused:

I thought that TA's and cruise booking websites couldn't charge less for a cabin than what Carnival is charging. Was the $200 for OBC or something else?

Not an onboard credit..the place I use has an exclusive agreement with Carnival...Everytime I check pricing 200 less.....PVPs at carnival do not even understand...I believe it would be equivalent to an interline discount

Some of these TA's should just change their titles to booking agents; because that is all they do.. A TA is supposed to help you with date changes, price drops.. etc etc at no charge...

Using PVP is not an option for me because I do not have the patience to deal with the incompetent.

MY TA is awesome.. she specializes in cruises- never a surcharge or revision charge.. etc etc.. She says what she means, and means what she says... and If she does not respond to me immediately.. it's because she's on a cruise...

But I have known her to text me from BB ...

Flo- You did the right thing:D

Archived