Hard sell in the spa?

mgg42

I'm interested in a massage or two while I cruise. I enjoy them when I travel, as a nice way to unwind. I have no interest in hearing about or purchasing products. I've heard comments about the hard sell. Is this the standard on board? I don't really care to know what the lovely oil they are using is. I don't care what it's supposed to do to my skin. And I certainly don't care to know why I should buy it and use it daily!

How bad is the hard sell? And are they at all receptive to a very polite, but preemptive comment or request about simply wanting to relax and not be sold to?

I have just told them no,had to think about it or I already use something and I am happy with it(when i really want to say Are you outta your mind with those prices:eek:).........that was it............someone on here has said they write NOT INTERESTED IN PRODUCTS on their form that you have to fill when you check in.

I'm interested in a massage or two while I cruise. I enjoy them when I travel, as a nice way to unwind. I have no interest in hearing about or purchasing products. I've heard comments about the hard sell. Is this the standard on board? I don't really care to know what the lovely oil they are using is. I don't care what it's supposed to do to my skin. And I certainly don't care to know why I should buy it and use it daily!

How bad is the hard sell? And are they at all receptive to a very polite, but preemptive comment or request about simply wanting to relax and not be sold to?

not sure about preemptively, but i quickly told them i was not interested after hearing their pitch and that was that.

it was not uncomfortable or what i would consider a 'hard sell'.

however, like most things, i'm sure that largely depends on the salesperson

Hi, I used the spa for the first time on my recent Freedom cruise and like you, I was afraid of the hard sell. I had steeled myself for it and was determined to just say no, thank you. I got a pedicure one day and a manicure the next and there was absolutely no mention of buying anything. The manicurist was actually from Jamaica and I had scheduled my first treatment for while we were in Jamaica. She called me and asked if I would come later so she could see her son for the longest time possible. I was happy to switch my time till after we were sailing again. She actually gave me a discount on the price and thanked me for making the change. I watched them working on people's hair while they were working on me and none of them got the hard sell either. I was really surprised and look forward to more spa time the next time I cruise...Maureen

I have done the salon on several of the cruise lines and they do like to push those products at you. I had a manicure and also presented my C&A discount coupon. The products were described as the manicure proceeded. When she brought the bill to me she added the cost of the products "for my convenience". I balked at the cost and had her redo the check - eliminating the products. When I got to my stateroom I realized that when she redid the check, she conveniently "forgot" to include my discount. What a scam!!! I was so relieved to see the lower price with no products that the coupon slipped my mind. That was the last time I used the salon services on board any ship.

They are trained to sell those products. You can ask not to get a sales pitch but it will all depend on the individual giving the service.

Hi, I used the spa for the first time on my recent Freedom cruise and like you, I was afraid of the hard sell. I had steeled myself for it and was determined to just say no, thank you. I got a pedicure one day and a manicure the next and there was absolutely no mention of buying anything. The manicurist was actually from Jamaica and I had scheduled my first treatment for while we were in Jamaica. She called me and asked if I would come later so she could see her son for the longest time possible. I was happy to switch my time till after we were sailing again. She actually gave me a discount on the price and thanked me for making the change. I watched them working on people's hair while they were working on me and none of them got the hard sell either. I was really surprised and look forward to more spa time the next time I cruise...Maureen

Awww just had to comment on you switching your time so she could spend time with her son. That was very nice of you :) I would have done the same thing. It must be soooo hard to be away from the ones you love for so long.

As far as the hard sell goes I just simply say no and that is that.

It really varies from person to person. Most of the time they will relent if you firmly tell them that you are not interested in hearing about any products. However, occasionnally this is not enough. One time the woman had the audacity to tell me that I "had" to purchase the products after I informed her I was not interested. When I informed her that I did not have to buy them and that I would not be buying any of them, she then replied, "Then you have not only wasted my time, but yours as well" and went on to say how bad I would begin to look without the products.

Fortunately this is the exception, rather than the norm, but people who have a hard time saying "no" need to be prepared so they do not cave in if they encounter someone like this. This woman's name was Camille, so if you get someone by that name, be weary.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the spa tends to have highly inflated prices in their spa menu, but then offers deep discounts throughout the cruise. Do not book the spa treatment on the first day or in advance of your cruise as that is the only time you are likely to pay full price. There are often discounts as big as 50% off, and sometimes you can even negotiate with them when inquiring about booking a treatment. If the spa has some type of expo during your cruise, attend this as very often during the expo you will have the chance to book treatments at about half off.

Hi, it was actually kind of funny. She called me twice. The first time was because she "noticed" I had an appointment at 2pm (departure was at 4PM) and wouldn't it be more convenient for me to spend the whole day ashore and book after departure? I said no, i was fine, would work my day's activities around the appointment. She called agin like 2 minutes later and told me the truth. Then, of course, I was happy to switch for HER convenience. I wish she had told me the truth the first time, but, I'm glad she called back or she may have been even ROUGHER on that pedicure!!!:eek::eek:>>>>>maureen

I enjoy getting a massage on the ship. I learned a long time ago to just tell the massage therapist, immediately upon meeting him/her, that I'm only interested in a relaxing massage, and that I'm not interested in purchasing any products. They appreciated my honest approach up front, and proceeded to give me a great massage. No problem!

Karen

I have no interest in hearing about or purchasing products. I've heard comments about the hard sell. Is this the standard on board?

I often get a massage on a cruise, and I've had it both ways...sometimes I get the hard sell, and sometimes the therapist doesn't even mention a single product. When they do I just say thanks but I'm happy with what I'm using and that's generally the end of it.

One thing I've noticed though: You fill out a form ahead of time to indicate if you have any medical issues, stress, etc. I've noticed that if I indicate "dry skin" or anything at all like that, they latch onto that and more often than not try to sell me stuff. So now I just indicate that everything is perfectly normal; it reduces the opportunity for them to try to sell me something to "fix a problem."

My husband and I had our first onboard massage last week while we were on the Monarch. I had warned my husband and braced myself for the hard sell based on what I had read on these boards. They barely mentioned the products and didn't even ask if we wanted to buy anything. We didn't do the couples massage, we were in separate rooms with different people and he didn't get asked either.

I always have a facial (or two depending on the length of the cruise) and only once did I have to push back during a sales pitch. Since then, I tell them I'm happy with what I use and although I realize I could probably do a bit more, I know myself well enough to know I won't.

With that said, I never hear another word until/unless someone else takes my payment. Then I just tell the new person that I already told whoever that I wasn't interested and end it there. No push, no hassle.

On the form that they have you fill out where you're asked all kinds of questions, there's a question that says something like "why are you here today" and I always put "to relax - not interested in purchasing any products." Ever since I started do that, they've never tried to sell me a thing.

I enjoy getting a massage on the ship. I learned a long time ago to just tell the massage therapist, immediately upon meeting him/her, that I'm only interested in a relaxing massage, and that I'm not interested in purchasing any products. They appreciated my honest approach up front, and proceeded to give me a great massage. No problem!

Karen

this is exactly what we do too, and it works fabulous! and I tend to tip a little more - they appreciate the honesty - and i really appreciate the spa!:D

I have to brag here. On a cruise about a year ago I booked a message and after it the gal said to me that except for some dryness on my heels, I was in great shape and she could not recommend any need for her products. :D

Hey, one has to grab those proud moments when they happen.;)

I have to brag here. On a cruise about a year ago I booked a message and after it the gal said to me that except for some dryness on my heels, I was in great shape and she could not recommend any need for her products. :D

Hey, one has to grab those proud moments when they happen.;)

EEEEEWWW!!! Dry Heels!!!!!:eek:

Just kidding, couldn't resist!

Archived