Royal Caribbean to deploy Radiance of the Seas down under

woodscruise

Royal Caribbean Cruises has just announced that it will deploy a second ship in Australian waters over the 2011/12 season.

The line's Australian gm, Gavin Smith, confirmed that from Oct 2011 the currently deployed Rhapsody of the Seas will be joined by the larger Radiance of the Seas, more than doubling the company's Australian capacity.

He said both vessels would operate here Oct 2011-Apr 2012, with Radiance carrying over 2000 guests and offering a new Australian cruise experience.

"She is newer, longer, taller and faster than any ship that has ever been deployed in the Australian market, for Australians," he said.

(Souce Cruise Weekly breaking news):)

got all excited about getting one of these big new ships here ....LOL

then after a few messages I read above I decided to check out the boards...

found this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1106679

It is amazing reading about people cancelling their cruise because of the problems...

someone wrote - with 9 years of plumbing problems you would think they would fix it LOL ... they have ... send it to australia LOL...

Hey we were on the sun princess over xmas and the public toilets were continually closed and a terrible smell near my daughters cabin.... no wonder we had Noro on there....

Joanne

I wonder if we might see one of these ships based in Melbourne?

Sydney harbour must surely have enough ships visiting now???

Yes please!!!!!!!! How nice would it be to be able to drive to the ship, park the car, cruise, then return straight home.........I know some ships come to Melbourne but unfortunately they then only go to Tas or NZ - two places i dont really want to visit on a ship.

Sharon

Awesome! About time we got something decent, just going to be such a letdown if it does NZ/ round Australia itinerary non stop like the Diamond Princess lets hope for South Pacific.

I can just see P&O been devastated that they won't be able to flog old hand me down ships as "first class superliners-Australia's largest and best" soon ahaha

What exactly is wrong with the dunny's?.. like they just don't work all the time? or something worse then that...

I agree with you about the Diamond Princess doing New Zealand all the time, I would love to go on that ship but don't want to do the crossing, rather go to the South Pacific, one day I will go on her. We are going on the Rhapsody next year, I think its good we will have another ship some competition should help with prices.

got all excited about getting one of these big new ships here ....LOL

then after a few messages I read above I decided to check out the boards...

found this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1106679

It is amazing reading about people cancelling their cruise because of the problems...

someone wrote - with 9 years of plumbing problems you would think they would fix it LOL ... they have ... send it to australia LOL...

Hey we were on the sun princess over xmas and the public toilets were continually closed and a terrible smell near my daughters cabin.... no wonder we had Noro on there....

Joanne

A good Aussie plumber should be able to fix Radiance's loo issues...as for public toilets being closed during a Noro outbreak...it is a precaution to prevent those idiots who wont stay in their cabins while they are unwell..giving it to the rest of us.:mad:

Radiance was designed for Alaska. It has a lot of glass and is therefore great for sightseeing. Just based on this I suspect that southern NZ is going to figure in its itineraries.

The Windjammer has an open area at the stern which is simply wonderful for al fresco dining.

It has been reported in several threads that the original waste plumbing is gradually being replaced with more modern PVC. Hopefully by the time it reaches Australia the job will have been completed.

Radiance class really are beautiful cruise ships. Even with a few problems most people are going to adore cruising on the Radiance.

Hi

Whether Radiance does NZ or Rhapsody, as long as one does South Pacific i am happy. By then will have cruised to NZ twice but have been biting at the bit to go on Royal Caribbean

Tania

The company will release itineraries for the two-ship 2011-12 cruise calendar in late March 2010. cruiseindustrynews.

I am so happy to read this exciting news. We definitely do need more competition in our waters but I do hope we receive the ship in good condition. It has been a habit of the cruiselines sending ships in need of repair or refurbishment to Australia and New Zealand. Hope this won't be the case this time....are you reading the RCCL? We love your product, please keep that way.

Now as a suggestion how about one of the RCCL ships doing a world cruise including South America?

Also I'm sure they could find an interesting itinerary between NZ, Australia and the rest of the world.

Only P & O UK have a world cruise which includes South America and it sold out within two days of coming on sale. I hope the Australian office have some input into the itineraries of RCCL ships that will cruise our waters. I'll put my hand up ;).....maybe we should conduct a poll on here as to what itineraries we would like to see RCCL do.

I'm excited:D:D:D

Jillybean:)

I am with you Jilly, I sure hope RCL is listening and not just using the tried and unaccepted down-under American method.

Hi Brad, yes I do really hope they create some interesting itineraries for Radiance. If RCCL do their marketing well they can really grab the market here. I just had a look at the deck layouts and it has some really interesting cabins - 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom to sleep up to 8 people.

Cabins on the 'hump' of the ship giving an extra large balcony and many other categories of oceanview, balcony and Junior Suites. A nicely laid out 90,000 tons.

Jilly:)

Archived