Wearing a robe from room to the pool

Gunther1

I would like to throw a few cents into the pot here.

I've seen people wearing things on board that would have been nice to be covered with a robe. In which case, please wear a robe!

I live in an area of the world where people often go to the grocery store in pajamas. I've seen 'mature' adults shopping in pajamas. I'm sure that there are other areas/cultures where this is 'normal', as well as other areas where this is considered 'indecent'. While on a cruise ship, one can expect to see people from many, many areas and cultures. Try not to judge the cultural standards of others. I've had to learn to overlook the pajama people in the stores here. Not my problem, after all.

Barbara Walters wore a bathrobe (silk, granted) to dinner at the White House once, when her luggage, apparently, didn't make it to D. C. I think that the robes that HAL provides are at least as "decent" a covering as a silk bathrobe, and I doubt I'll run into the POTUS on my way to the pool.

Muumus remind me of my childhood, when every ulta-obese older woman I knew wore them. I will NEVER wear one. If you wear one, that's great for you. I'll not look. If I grew up in Hawaii, maybe I'd like them. Different area/culture, remember?

Can we get back to complaining about women wearing hosery with open toed shoes? Please?

Exactly. Same goes for what you wear in the Main Dining room. Don't worry about it. Although I think some of these posters saying" who cares about robes" are the same ones protesting jeans in the dining room. Hypocritical me thinks, especially since Hal does say no robes in public area.;)

Where is this printed! I have our daily programs for most of our HAL cruises (13) & no where does HAL state that robes are not to be worn in public..

In fact it's just the opposite!

On the Statendam Day 3 of our collectors (Nov. 15 & Nov 29), this notice was printed in the Daily program:

Snowball Jackpot Bathrobe Bingo

"Cards on sale at 10:45 a.m.. Games begin at 11:00 a.m.

Wear your bathrobe and receive a bonus card with your purchase.

Van Gogh Lounge, 7 Unquote

We did not play Bingo, so can't give any info on how many wore their bathrobes..However, I'm almost sure if HAL frowned on someone wearing a bathrobe to the pool or Spa, they would never put a notice such as this in their daily program..

We do not wear our robes in public, but that is our choice..

I posted this on an earlier post in this thread, but many of you still are completely ignoring it..Why?:confused:

And for the life of me, can't understand why you are trying to impose your sense of propriety on others, when HAL says otherwise..:(

And I'm one of those who says who cares about robes in public areas & I honestly don't see anything wrong with wearing nice dressy jeans in the MDR on casual nights..;)

Yes, there is such a thing as Dressy Jeans!

Cheers...:)Betty

Muumus remind me of my childhood, when every ulta-obese older woman I knew wore them. I will NEVER wear one. If you wear one, that's great for you. I'll not look. If I grew up in Hawaii, maybe I'd like them. Different area/culture, remember?.........................

Better put a helmet on and start digging a slit trench in your yard for any incoming rounds!:eek: Btw, that's how I picture that garment also;)

Ok...but you totally missed the meaning of this post. The poster that I was asking said that a bathrobe is a normal piece of clothing. I asked if she would wear it to work or to a store. She said yes. That kind of says it all. I work with a lot of people that look like they wear what they found on the floor that morning. That's not right to me. If that works for you...go for it.

Which is, I believe, my point about all of these dress code threads:

"If that works for you... go for it".

And I'm one of those who says who cares about robes in public areas & I honestly don't see anything wrong with wearing nice dressy jeans in the MDR on casual nights..;)

Ditto. I don't wear the HAL-provided Bathrobe outside my stateroom and I don't wear jeans on Smart Casual Nights, but I don't see anything in the Code that prohibits either. I understand those who dislike both, but their dislike is a matter not of Dress Codes but of personal opinion and preference.

Better put a helmet on and start digging a slit trench in your yard for any incoming rounds!:eek: Btw, that's how I picture that garment also;)

In Maui.

web.jpg?ver=12663047270001

Unless my eye-sight is failing me, I don't think any of these elegant ladies, who were graciously dancing a welcome for us at Maui, qualify as "ultra-obese." My mother particularly liked the muumuu on the left, which she subsequently found one like at Hilo Hatties and bought.

My mother is not "ultra-obese."

Wow, I finally read this thread.

Some of you folks live on an alternative universe from some of us out in the middle of the Pacific. At the highest end resorts here people are seen wearing robes to pools and spas. This has been going on for at least 20 years.

geez maybe I live in the alternative universe!

Now what has me upset, is what does it mean Oceania doesn't let sandals be worn to dinner???:eek:

Wow, I finally read this thread.

Now what has me upset, is what does it mean Oceania doesn't let sandals be worn to dinner???:eek:

I would guess that it means "no bare feet in the dining room". Some visuals just take the appetite away.

While the wearing of a robe in the dining room would be just plain bad manners, the idea of men with hairy bare feet for the dining experience is completely revolting and does nothing for ambience.

Women who have regular pedicures and polish can get away with a dressy flat or heeled sandal.

I have probably mentioned before that fine dining is not available in restaurants in my area----good food for sure, but nobody knows how to serve and a white tablecloth is a rareity. Therefore we so enjoy the experience of being pampered in the dining room and the elegance of the surroundings. There is nothing elegant about a man--or woman-- dining in Birkenstocks.:eek:

Before you jump on me I don't mean to say that sandals should not be worn in the Lido, as that venue is for eating, not dining. There really is a big difference. Nobody would go to the Lido for a dining experience.

But I'm not going to work, I'm on vacation. I don't wear flip flops at work, but I do on a cruise, I don't wear a bathing suit to stores, but I do on a cruise. I could even choose to cover my bathing suit with a robe on my way to the pool :D

Ooops, thanks to whansami, I stand corrected. i also have worn my robe for spirit days at school. The day was "dress like you just rolled out of bed". My robe and flannel pajamas were much more appropriate than what I wore rolling out of bed!

I swore I would not post on this page, but as someone who, early in the morning (5:30), because I couldn't get used to the time change) did wear my robe out of the room. (gasp) I was trying to leave quietly, and allowing my DJ to sleep. It was what I could find. I just think there are times it can be ok.

I used to work for a bank and one year, around Halloween, we decided to all come to work in costume. I came to work with my hair in rollers, wearing my bathrobe and slippers. All that day, my customers came up to my window, did a double take and then roared with laughter. Some of them made funny comments such as, "were you running late today?" and "did you forget something?". I have to say that it was the best day I ever had working for that bank.

RevNeal, the ladies in your picture are lovely, and what they are wearing doesn't match my childhood memory of 'muumus'... as I said, when and where I grew up, such lovely, slender women did not wear muumus. If I were to see them on a cruise, I wouldn't immediately think of their dresses as 'muumus'.

Perhaps if I thought of them as 'long floral print dresses' instead, it would work. Kind of like wearing one's robe as a cover up. :D

I would guess that it means "no bare feet in the dining room". Some visuals just take the appetite away.

While the wearing of a robe in the dining room would be just plain bad manners, the idea of men with hairy bare feet for the dining experience is completely revolting and does nothing for ambience.

Women who have regular pedicures and polish can get away with a dressy flat or heeled sandal.

I have probably mentioned before that fine dining is not available in restaurants in my area----good food for sure, but nobody knows how to serve and a white tablecloth is a rareity. Therefore we so enjoy the experience of being pampered in the dining room and the elegance of the surroundings. There is nothing elegant about a man--or woman-- dining in Birkenstocks.:eek:

Before you jump on me I don't mean to say that sandals should not be worn in the Lido, as that venue is for eating, not dining. There really is a big difference. Nobody would go to the Lido for a dining experience.

http://comedians.jokes.com/sebastian-maniscalco/videos/sebastian-maniscalco---men-s-feet

Kind of like Ape Man!:eek:

Suse---I think Pipedreams just answered your question. :D:D:D

Now that I have almost stopped laughing----Pipedreams, whenever you post a comedy link the website says that Canadians have to go to www.thecomedynetwork.ca to view the comedy videos. I did find a listing of Sabastian Maniscalo's videos but the foot one wasn't there. There was, however, one on casual dress in airports that was very funny.

Suse---I think Pipedreams just answered your question. :D:D:D

Now that I have almost stopped laughing----Pipedreams, whenever you post a comedy link the website says that Canadians have to go to www.thecomedynetwork.ca to view the comedy videos. I did find a listing of Sabastian Maniscalo's videos but the foot one wasn't there. There was, however, one on casual dress in airports that was very funny.

how about this? http://www.kyte.tv/ch/sebastianlive/sebastian-on-jay-leno/p=ls&c=195512&s=782871&l=2535

In Maui.

web.jpg?ver=12663047270001

Unless my eye-sight is failing me, I don't think any of these elegant ladies, who were graciously dancing a welcome for us at Maui, qualify as "ultra-obese." My mother particularly liked the muumuu on the left, which she subsequently found one like at Hilo Hatties and bought.

My mother is not "ultra-obese."

Yeah, those are not things I would wear in public. And while those lovely ladies are definately not obese, you could see how a loose shapeless gown would be favored by people that want to hide rolls and those that don't have rolls to hide would tend to feel like the looseness and shapelessness adds girth.

Haven't worn a muumu since I was 8. Don't plan on ever doing it again.

Archived