Wearing a robe from room to the pool

Gunther1

In my opinion that is not what he said...Of course you are welcome to your own interpretation.

Okay, I'll bite. Given the context, what -- in your opinion, Opinions -- was he saying and how does that differ from RuthC's drawn conclusion?

Easy Money! IMO, the former Goalie is saying this:

- HAL is a mass market line - True!

- HAL is attempting to draw more of younger and family demographic to its ships - True again!

- Greater demand from different groups (i.e. that same younger & family demographic) equals more revenue per berth and a higher occupancy (Dad, Mum & kids) - Wow, True a 3rd time!

The former Goalie is 3 for 3, batting 1000, on his way to round the bases!:)

Btw, Confusius say: Baseball all wrong -- man with four balls cannot walk.

Easy Money! IMO, the former Goalie is saying this:

- HAL is a mass market line - True!

- HAL is attempting to draw more of younger and family demographic to its ships - True again!

- Greater demand from different groups (i.e. that same younger & family demographic) equals more revenue per berth and a higher occupancy (Dad, Mum & kids) - Wow, True a 3rd time!

The former Goalie is 3 for 3, batting 1000, on his way to round the bases!:)

No arguing with any of those conclusions (actually, they're just re-statements of the poster's own words).

NOW ... apply them to the wearing of robes outside of one's cabin (i.e., the context of this thread).

No arguing with any of those conclusions (actually, they're just re-statements of the poster's own words).

NOW ... apply them to the wearing of robes outside of one's cabin (i.e., the context of this thread).

Aye, aye Gunny!:rolleyes:

Younger families, like the ones the former Goalie is speaking of and, unlike "traditionalists", have no hang-ups wearing waffle-weave robes from their cabin(s) to the mid-ship pool, the Spa and/or the Eurodam Retreat and, oh yeah, that infamous Retreat pool on Veendam and Rotterdam:eek:

Aye, aye Gunny!:rolleyes:

Younger families, like the ones the former Goalie is speaking of and, unlike "traditionalists", have no hang-ups wearing waffle-weave robes from their cabin(s) to the mid-ship pool, the Spa and/or the Eurodam Retreat and, oh yeah, that infamous Retreat pool on Veendam and Rotterdam:eek:

Agreed!

Which means that their sense of propriety is different from those "stuck-up", "hung-up," "grand old-age" (to borrow terms used by others thus far on this thread) "traditionalists." :) Which, if one removes Ruth's value judgment, is nevertheless what Ruth was saying.

.............Younger families, like the ones the former Goalie is speaking of and, unlike "traditionalists", have no hang-ups wearing waffle-weave robes from their cabin(s) to the mid-ship pool, the Spa and/or the Eurodam Retreat and, oh yeah, that infamous Retreat pool on Veendam and Rotterdam:eek:

Oops, almost forgot the Neptune Lounge:eek: for us house broken, well trained and fully domesticated husbands to grab a quick cup of Juan Valdez' finest to bring to our loved ones, still in LaLa Land working on their beauty sleep;)

So what you're saying is that people who sail mass-market, are younger, and are from a family demographic, have no sense of propriety. Is that it?

As one other poster said, you certainly are entitled to your own opinion.

But, your interpretation is not what I meant. HAL is a mass market line which needs to appeal to a diverse demographic in order to survive in today's times. Thus, the dress "code" has been relaxed, and the entire cruise experience has gotten more casual.

I appreciate the fact that you have cruised many, many times on HAL, and have made many, many posts on CC. I have noticed that this is the second time on different threads that you have chosen to acknowledge my posts in a not too positive fashion (to put it kindly).

Can't those who prefer a more casual cruise experience and those "traditionalists" coexist on the same ship? Cruising has changed vastly from thirty, twenty, ten, even five years ago, and HAL has had to adapt to these changes, like all other mass market lines.

Some of those in the younger and family demographic might lack "propriety," just as those in any of the other demographics will.

And, people are entilted to have their own sense of "propriety." Clearly, yours differs from mine.

Please excuse the allegorical ramblings....

The 'mass market' has a multitude of restaurants, hotels and yes cruise lines. Depending on the character of the evening, stay (business or family travel) or in the case of cruise line (pampered vacation) I am paying for, I select the product I am willing to spend my money on and will best meet that goal. I certainly have been known to frequent a McDonalds, but if I want a nice quiet meal with my wife I would not expect that I will be visiting McDonalds.

The same holds true for a cruise. An active, family-oriented spring break cruise with other families will find us on Carnival or NCL, not likely on HAL. Whereas, a private personal celebration cruise will definitely find us on HAL. Unless there is an over-riding added objective or special itinerary, in most cases ambience and feel of the cruise line will dictate our choices.

Why is that so hard to accept? Yes, HAL is mass market, or at least a part of it. That does not mean it needs to dummy-down or be all things to all potential cruisers and migrate to some common denominator definition of mass market. The very nature of the mass market is that it is so diverse that for any given niche in the market there is a player.

In the same way that there are any number of pizza joints in town there are any number of lines to cruise. Sometime you feel like Uno's, but sometime a nice 'flat-bread' at an upscale, quiet trattorria is more appealing.:)

Dennis

Please excuse the allegorical ramblings....

The 'mass market' has a multitude of restaurants, hotels and yes cruise lines. Depending on the character of the evening, stay (business or family travel) or in the case of cruise line (pampered vacation) I am paying for, I select the product I am willing to spend my money on and will best meet that goal. I certainly have been known to frequent a McDonalds, but if I want a nice quiet meal with my wife I would not expect that I will be visiting McDonalds.

The same holds true for a cruise. An active, family-oriented spring break cruise with other families will find us on Carnival or NCL, not likely on HAL. Whereas, a private personal celebration cruise will definitely find us on HAL. Unless there is an over-riding added objective or special itinerary, in most cases ambience and feel of the cruise line will dictate our choices.

Why is that so hard to accept? Yes, HAL is mass market, or at least a part of it. That does not mean it needs to dummy-down or be all things to all potential cruisers and migrate to some common denominator definition of mass market. The very nature of the mass market is that it is so diverse that for any given niche in the market there is a player.

In the same way that there are any number of pizza joints in town there are any number of lines to cruise. Sometime you feel like Uno's, but sometime a nice 'flat-bread' at an upscale, quiet trattorria is more appealing.:)

Dennis

No argument from me. For a family cruise, we would almost assuredly go RCL. This upcoming cruise, first on HAL, it's just DW and I.

My point is that all mass market lines have been forced to change with the times. That being said, there should be enough options on the ship for all persuasions to enjoy their vacation. Thus both fixed seating dining and dining at flexible times is offered, and many other subtle and not so subtle additions and deletions from the cruise experience.

You're talking your property. Unless you live on the street (i.e. homeless) that isn't very public. I'm asking about going to the store, out to eat, running errands.... Public.

Since, in all of those situations, I am very much in the sight of the public, I don't see where it matters where the property line is drawn.

What is it about the robes that makes people believe them to be so distasteful in public? Are they really any different that any other type of clothing?

You can't be serious.

ok Ruth, in all seriousness. We stay in the Deluxe Verandah suites on HAL. We are much younger than a lot of the people that stay there. I get dressed in the morning and then go to the Neptune lounge to get coffee etc. When I get there I see the fellow suite passengers in ROBES. Most of them older than I. I don't wear one, but I don't condemn those that do. I am constantly shocked, but each to his own.

I have never seen the concierge turn someone away from the Neptune Lounge because they are wearing a robe. Granted, it's not the pool, but it's still public.

Just my observation. Jacqui

Your Momma brought you up better than that.

Better than WHAT?

None of this logically makes any sense. There is nothing inherently different about a robe, as opposed to other types of clothing, that would make it unseemly to be in public.

If people wish to declare a robe, or flipflops, or anything else as inappropriate attire for public, I suppose they can. But, to express some form of astonishment that others don't agree with it, when no one can provide any argument beyond "it is called a BATH robe", doesn't make sense to me.

We drive on PARK ways.

We park on DRIVE ways.

There is a whole comedy routine that goes along these lines.

The bottom line is, whatever you call it, there isn't anything about it that makes it more, or less, appropriate for public wear than any other piece of apparel.

But, I do have a budding idea that, should I decide to wear mine outside of the cabin, I will attach a label to it, renaming it a "strolling robe", so people will not have to be offended by the sight of a "bath robe" in the hallway.

Better than WHAT?

None of this logically makes any sense. There is nothing inherently different about a robe, as opposed to other types of clothing, that would make it unseemly to be in public.

If people wish to declare a robe, or flipflops, or anything else as inappropriate attire for public, I suppose they can. But, to express some form of astonishment that others don't agree with it, when no one can provide any argument beyond "it is called a BATH robe", doesn't make sense to me.

We drive on PARK ways.

We park on DRIVE ways.

There is a whole comedy routine that goes along these lines.

The bottom line is, whatever you call it, there isn't anything about it that makes it more, or less, appropriate for public wear than any other piece of apparel.

But, I do have a budding idea that, should I decide to wear mine outside of the cabin, I will attach a label to it, renaming it a "strolling robe", so people will not have to be offended by the sight of a "bath robe" in the hallway.

So since it is clothing would you wear it shopping or to work?

Okay, I'll bite. Given the context, what -- in your opinion, Opinions -- was he saying and how does that differ from RuthC's drawn conclusion?

In my opinion the poster did not make any judgements about "propriety"...Certainly did not mention anyone having no sense of propriety...That's my conclusion...Just a different interpretation.

Archived