Wearing a robe from room to the pool

Gunther1

Hi Chris 1950

How are you doing? Are you doing the Panama with Hal?

We're off to The Gambia next week, can't wait for a bit of sun after all this mucky weather we've been having.

We're dithering between Hawaii and Alaska for later this year, whichever we decide we'll do the other another time (probably do Alaska after we've had a good summer here - may have a long wait).

I always pack a muumu to wear over my bathing suit. It takes up very little space and weighs very little too.

To me, that robe is a bathrobe, to be worn only in the room or balcony.

In fact, I thought that somewhere HAL had even stated that the robes were not to be worn in public areas.

What is a muumu?

I fear some of y'all have major hang ups about "proper attire." It's not the red carpet, for heaven's sake. It's a cruise ship where people are on vacation with many different folks who have their own hang ups...maybe about hair styles, make up, shoes, perfume, smoking, bathing suit requirements based on age and/or weight, changing into resort casual after eating a formal dinner, tipping, bringing your own trays to the Lido (do people really do this ?), kids, bad wigs / combovers, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

It's highly likely that any two people on a cruise will do something that goes against the other's mores. Married folk are not excluded. ;)

Enjoy the diversity you encounter on board. Don't make preconceived notions about someone who is wearing something you find offensive. Remember the book and cover analogy. Finding humor in one's diversity from your "standards" would help ratchet down the cranky-scale and nasty glaring looks. Lighten up....please. :D

The only place you're going to see people acting and dressing exactly as you believe they should be is in your own home....and, likely without relatives around.

When you board a ship with approx. 2,000+ people you've never met and spend a week or more with them, you're going to encounter dress styles (and a myriad of other things) that are not "up to your standards." These people are not your children and you have no right to try to enforce your self-imposed robe rules on them. If you see people wearing robes outside the rooms and raise your eyebrows at them. you can be assured rhey are raising their eyebrows at something you are doing or wearing.

People watching is one great sport...as long as you don't judge the book by the cover.

IMHO this is the best post yet on this non issue.

English in Spain -

I wouldn't at all think of it as a "fashion misstep" for you to wear your robe to the hot tub or pool. The last thing I want to open myself up for is return criticism of my attire!!

To the pool I wear a cover up, sort of like a sun dress. I feel like wearing that, along with some coordinating sandals I can go into the lido and grab a bite or drink if I want without having to go back to my cabin and change. I have worn a robe to/from the spa and will continue to do so. I don't even notice if others are wearing robes, except in the lido, that seems strange to me, but again, not my business, that is between the robe wearer and HAL.

Enjoy your cruise!

I would never wear a robe to the pool area. Indeed, I am usually easy to spot since I always, and I mean always, wear my tuxedo on board. Anyone who is a gentleman wears a tuxedo, regardless of the time of day or event.

Indeed, my wife enjoys watching me gracefully walk out to the swimming pool, fully dressed in my bright blue tuxedo, and then begin disrobing for our afternoon swim: cummerbund first, followed by my gracefully untying my bow tie (usually the blue and white polka dot one, made fashionable by Winston Churchill), followed by the removal of my tailored jacket. Then I remove the cufflinks (an exact copy of the ones that were worn by Oscar Wilde when he gave his famous reply “The only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about”), then the tastefully ruffled tuxedo shirt (yellowish; it used to be bright yellow but has dulled over the years), then I softly slip out of my shoes (Hush Puppies, since I do like my comfort), finally crowned by the removal of my trousers (only bohemians refer to them as ‘pants’), to reveal my Christian Dior bathing suit, which itself has its own cummerbund and tie.

Of course, at the end of my disrobing for our swim my wife usually asks me to return to our cabin to retrieve some item she has forgotten. I then will tastefully yank on my tuxedo again and go to the gentlemen’s bar for a few hours, before returning to the pool.

I would never wear a robe to the pool area. Indeed, I am usually easy to spot since I always, and I mean always, wear my tuxedo on board. Anyone who is a gentleman wears a tuxedo, regardless of the time of day or event.

Indeed, my wife enjoys watching me gracefully walk out to the swimming pool, fully dressed in my bright blue tuxedo, and then begin disrobing for our afternoon swim: cummerbund first, followed by my gracefully untying my bow tie (usually the blue and white polka dot one, made fashionable by Winston Churchill), followed by the removal of my tailored jacket. Then I remove the cufflinks (an exact copy of the ones that were worn by Oscar Wilde when he gave his famous reply “The only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about”), then the tastefully ruffled tuxedo shirt (yellowish; it used to be bright yellow but has dulled over the years), then I softly slip out of my shoes (Hush Puppies, since I do like my comfort), finally crowned by the removal of my trousers (only bohemians refer to them as ‘pants’), to reveal my Christian Dior bathing suit, which itself has its own cummerbund and tie.

Of course, at the end of my disrobing for our swim my wife usually asks me to return to our cabin to retrieve some item she has forgotten. I then will tastefully yank on my tuxedo again and go to the gentlemen’s bar for a few hours, before returning to the pool.

Brilliant!! Still laughing!:D:D:D:D:D No Nehru jacket?

Mine is similar to the border print dress shown on the shopnational.com site but only cost $12.99 plus s/h from a catalog.

The length of mine is just below the knee.

Mine is similar to the border print dress shown on the shopnational.com site but only cost $12.99 plus s/h from a catalog.

The length of mine is just below the knee.

That's very pretty....I have several Muumuu's from the flea market which I roll up & can wear it as a Robe in cabin or a swimsiuit cover up..I love them & like you, have never paid more than $15.00 for mine..

It would have never crossed my mind to shop for my muumuus in the Vermont Country Store. Thanks for the lead, Betty!

Your welcome Ruth...I was surprised to see the Vermont Country Store selling them too..

English in Spain..I forgot to add to my post that: The word Muumuu is Hawaiian, for a loosely hanging, brightly colored, dress...The originals were designed in the 20's & worn by the women of Hawaii...

Cheers...:)Betty.

Some of those are much more attractive than I would have thought. And I was about to say a robe would be more appealing. Glad I kept my mouth shut.icon12.gif

What a blast this thread has been!!!! I've just finished reading it all the way through, and I must say that it's been high in entertainment value ... if nothing else. :)

Here's how I look at it: HAL asks us to wear a cover-up while in-transit to/from the pool, and a HAL bathrobe certainly "covers-up" for those who like to go around strapless, backless, or even topless. ;)

Nevertheless, I think muumuus have more style.

.............Here's how I look at it: HAL asks us to wear a cover-up while in-transit to/from the pool, and a HAL bathrobe certainly "covers-up" for those who like to go around strapless, backless, or even topless...........

Clue_screenshot_1.jpg

Clue: The word clue has been obtained by modification of the word cliwen. In Old English, the word 'cliwen' meant globe or ball. This ball indicates a ball that is made by winding up a thread or yarn. The Middle English word 'clew or clewe' originally carried this meaning. The connotations of this word changed during the fourteenth century. It was used in an old mythological story and transformed the use of this word entirely.

A legendary King Athens, Theseus fought a Minotaur in this myth. Minotaur was a monster that is half-man and half-bull. He occupied the labyrinth on the island of Crete. After killing the Minotaur, Theseus found his way out of the labyrinth by winding up a string, which he had earlier unwound from a ball of this string. This string had left a trail as he had progressed into the labyrinth. This, clew was used to mean 'key part' of evidence or hint of the course to follow!

Clue_screenshot_1.jpg

Clue: The word clue has been obtained by modification of the word cliwen. In Old English, the word 'cliwen' meant globe or ball. This ball indicates a ball that is made by winding up a thread or yarn. The Middle English word 'clew or clewe' originally carried this meaning. The connotations of this word changed during the fourteenth century. It was used in an old mythological story and transformed the use of this word entirely.

A legendary King Athens, Theseus fought a Minotaur in this myth. Minotaur was a monster that is half-man and half-bull. He occupied the labyrinth on the island of Crete. After killing the Minotaur, Theseus found his way out of the labyrinth by winding up a string, which he had earlier unwound from a ball of this string. This string had left a trail as he had progressed into the labyrinth. This, clew was used to mean 'key part' of evidence or hint of the course to follow!

Bingo!

We have a bingo here!

Well done! :D

I have to say it looks a little strange to me, but I also have to say that it is not for me or anyone else to judge. IMHO of Course.

You are on Vacation, it does not hurt anyone. nor should it offend anyone.

If it does, that is their problem.

I don't care much for socks with sandles, especially dark knee socks, couples in matching shirts, old jocks in Muscle Shirts, etc., but my term of office as a member of the Fashion Police has expired so I just figure it is not my job anymore and let it go.

Archived