Wearing a robe from room to the pool

Gunther1

I don't see what the big deal is. Some people look better covered up.:)

Totally agree! I don't see what all the fuss is about either. I admit to wearing my robe to go to the spa and thermal suite. If it bothers you, look the other way. I think robe wearing is much less offensive than a thong or speedo bathing suit.

It's a *bath*robe. Yes, it has the ability to function as a cover-up but it's a bathrobe.

Hey, your bedspread has the ability to function as a beach towel. Maybe you'd like to haul that out to your lounge chair and lay on that. Or your nightgown could function as a dress, but it's a nightgown so it's purpose is to sleep in and it's meant to stay in your cabin. The robe's purpose is a bathrobe and is meant to stay in your cabin.

What is wrong with you people? Are you just bent on parading around the public spaces in your robe because it covers your body? Don't you care how you look? I'm really only trying to save you from looking ridiculous.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bathrobe

Main Entry: bath·robe

Pronunciation: \ˈbath-ˌrōb, ˈbäth-\

Function: noun

Date: 1890

: a loose often absorbent robe worn before and after bathing or as a dressing gown

Every line (and there have been many) that we've sailed have put in the daily program that a robe is not to be worn throughout the ship, but for use in your stateroom. There are robes in the spa so there's no need to wear one "to" the spa.

I am well known on here for not being conventional. I say ignore the fashion police and do what you want. Your choice of dress does not affect me in any way and if it bothers someone else, they have the problem - not you.

Agreed. All this fuss over.......a bath robe!! As one poster mentioned, would you rather see a Speedo or a bath robe? I know what my choice would be.

Maybe I'm different (and upcoming will be my first HAL cruise and HAL is different from the other lines I've sailed), but I don't get too wound up about how others enjoy the cruise experience; I prefer casual attire, and am lukewarm, at best, about the formal night experience.

Regardless, there is no prohibition against wearing of robes in public areas I'm aware of on a HAL cruise.

Wow....575 views on this since I first posted the question just last night...I should get a commission :). I wasn't intending to start a war.

I've always been under the impression that in public spaces, it would be best to err on the side of caution when it comes to what to wear....IE cover up as much as possible.

Therefore, it would make sense for me to wear both a t-shirt AND the robe.

To be honest, I've no idea what a "pool robe" is and won't be going to the spa. Even if I were going to the spa, what do I wear TO the spa...since the robes are at the spa and not in my room :) ?

We generally don't wear our robes to the pool-use a swimsuit cover up. HOWEVER, in Alaska, it was cold so we wore our robes to the hot tub because the cover up wasn't enough. I sure wasn't going to wear jeans and try to put those back on over a wet swimsuit or keep a wet towel draped around me to stay warm going back to my cabin. That would have been more offensive in my opinion than the robe.

I've seen folks at high end resorts wear their robes to the pool/spa/hot tubs and it really didn't affect me. Do what you feel comfortable with.

Every line (and there have been many) that we've sailed have put in the daily program that a robe is not to be worn throughout the ship, but for use in your stateroom. There are robes in the spa so there's no need to wear one "to" the spa.

I'm sorry but I can't find any such notice in my copies of the daily programs.. I've kept the daily programs for most of our cruises & still have them in the file for the last 12 of them...(DH keeps trying to get me to toss them..LOL)

Have checked the first day programs on three of them & no where in either the HAL program or the Oceania program is there a mention of bathrobes..

As a matter of fact on the Day 3 of our Statendam cruise this past last November...Inserted in the announcements on page 2 is the following notice:

Snowball Jackpot Bathrobe Bingo

"Cards on sale at 10:45 a.m.. Games begin at 11:00 a.m.

Wear your bathrobe and receive a bonus card with your purchase.

Van Gogh Lounge, 7 Unquote

We did not play Bingo, so can't give any info on how many wore their bathrobes..However, I'm almost sure if HAL frowned on someone wearing a bathrobe to the pool or Spa, they would never put a notice such as this in their daily program..

On our one Oceania Cruise there is a notice about Oceania's dress code which reads: Quote

Oceania Dress Code

In all evening venues, we request that guests adhere to the appropriate country club casual dress code.. Shorts, Jeans, t-shirts and Sandals are not permitted in the Grand Dining Room, Polo Grill or Toscana..As Tapas on the terrace exudes a resort casual ambiance, dressy shorts & casual shirts may be worn in the evening. Tank tops & bathing suits are not appropriate for any of our on-board restaurants at any time. Unquote No where does it mention bathrobes & slippers which Oceania gives to every passenger..

Esther, Can you give specifics of the notice you have seen in Hal's daily programs?:confused:

It's a bathrobe, not a poolrobe. It is supplied in your cabin to be worn directly after getting out of the bath/shower to keep warm and comfy until you get dressed. It is meant to be worn while lounging around in the privacy of your cabin or balcony.

As someone else said, you would never leave your house with your bathrobe on, why would you leave your cruise house (cabin) in your bathrobe?

I'm an anti-busybody. I could care less what people wear/do unless it impacts my life. I don't chime in on formal/jeans/tuxes/smoking/children/trays, etc. BUT there is something about this bathrobe in public thing that is forcing me to speak out. I guess I have a desire to save them from themselves.

Why are you insisting on imposing your standards of dress on other passengers?;)

I admit, that I don't think bathrobes are appropriate forDH or me.. .We don't even wear the HAL bathrobes in our cabin, as I bring my own...However I would never try to impose my standard of dress on others..

JMO Betty

What do you wear if you go to the hot tub or pool then get out, wet, and want to go back to your cabin? You cannot really get dressed on top of a wet swimsuit. I would have thought the towelling robes were ideal.

I don't understand why some people have such a hang-up about this.

I agree you would not want to go to any of the lounges but if all you are doing is walking along the corridor back to your cabin I cannot see a problem.

It has never occurred to me that I might be causing a problem doing this. Maybe it is a European thing not to mind.

What happened in the days before we had en-suite bathrooms and had to go along the corridor to the bathroom. What did you wear then?

I have only one firsthand experience with HAL, a 7-day Alaska cruise. The only time I wore my bathrobe in public, or noticed others doing so, was in connection with the polar bear jump in the aft pool on our Glacier Bay day. I saw t-shirts and wraps at the Lido pool and hot tubs, and changing rooms with lockers are provided for the spa and thermal suites. I personally do not find it inappropriate or offensive to wear the robes as a cover-up while going to or from the pool or spa, but somehow it just didn't seem to jibe with the ambience of the ship. It's like ditching your formal wear right after dinner on the formal evenings. It's ok, I suppose, but it's not entering into the spirit of the place.

Would you put on your robe to go down to your local public swiming pool, I think not, so why would you do it on a cruise?

I wear my swimsuit and a TOWEL to the local pool. I think a bathrobe looks much better than running around with just a t-shirt on over it.

See, it's the concerns about what I wear when I'm trying to get to the pool that concern me about HAL. A lot of people cite the age thing, but that has nothing to do with age - it's formality. I'm just not that formal.

It's a *bath*robe. Yes, it has the ability to function as a cover-up but it's a bathrobe.

Hey, your bedspread has the ability to function as a beach towel. Maybe you'd like to haul that out to your lounge chair and lay on that. Or your nightgown could function as a dress, but it's a nightgown so it's purpose is to sleep in and it's meant to stay in your cabin. The robe's purpose is a bathrobe and is meant to stay in your cabin.

What is wrong with you people? Are you just bent on parading around the public spaces in your robe because it covers your body? Don't you care how you look? I'm really only trying to save you from looking ridiculous.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bathrobe

Main Entry: bath·robe

Pronunciation: \ˈbath-ˌrōb, ˈbäth-\

Function: noun

Date: 1890

: a loose often absorbent robe worn before and after bathing or as a dressing gown

So is the problem using the bathrobe provided by HAL because it might be wearing them out needlessly? Because I have a (non-bath) robe that I could bring. Would using my cute little cherry print robe be a problem?

'cause otherwise I'm wandering around in my bikini with a towel around my waist.

You older gentlemen can just go ahead and stare. ;)

Actually I have seen that notation about not wearing robes in public also.

Don't recall what cruiseline it was because we sail many.

The reason I recall it is that dh pointed it out to me, saying "who'd wear their bathrobe out by the pool anyway?" :eek:

If your cute little cherry print robe looks like a beach cover up then it sounds lovely.

So is the problem using the bathrobe provided by HAL because it might be wearing them out needlessly? Because I have a (non-bath) robe that I could bring. Would using my cute little cherry print robe be a problem?

I would wear a swim coverup or a pair of shorts and tshirt over my bathing suit on my way to the pool. I agree, wearing a longer tshirt over a bathing suit without shorts too is very unappealing.

I wear my swimsuit and a TOWEL to the local pool. I think a bathrobe looks much better than running around with just a t-shirt on over it.

See, it's the concerns about what I wear when I'm trying to get to the pool that concern me about HAL. A lot of people cite the age thing, but that has nothing to do with age - it's formality. I'm just not that formal.

It's the only sensible thing to wear to/from the hot tubs. Lying by the pool all day is a different matter. Even then, I couldn't care less what people wear as long as they're not naked.

I guess the people moaning about the robes don't use the hot tubs.

A man should wear his bathing suit and a t-shirt. A woman can wear either shorts and t-shirt or a dress-like cover up.

Bathrobes should never leave the cabin.

What is a bathing suit? Do people really wear clothes while bathing? I have board shorts and swim trunks.

Nothing wrong with wearing a bathrobe outside of your cabin.

You would wear a swimsuit coverup.

What do you wear if you go to the hot tub or pool then get out, wet, and want to go back to your cabin? You cannot really get dressed on top of a wet swimsuit.

Not a problem, just a fashion misstep.

It has never occurred to me that I might be causing a problem doing this. Maybe it is a European thing not to mind.

I would think it would appropriate to wear a bathrobe while traversing a common hallway in an antiquated hotel to access the communal bathroom. Bathrobe going to the bathroom.

What happened in the days before we had en-suite bathrooms and had to go along the corridor to the bathroom. What did you wear then?

Archived