Wearing a robe from room to the pool

Gunther1

The muumuu look a good idea. Nice and cool and loose fitting.

Buying online is not an option for me. Can you buy these in stores in USA (eg Ft Lauderdale)? What sort of store would I look in?

Are they nice enough to wear to go ashone on the islands?

Absolutely! Indeed, my mother wore hers aboard ship for Hawaiian Casual nights on our latest cruise.

My local public swimming pool is four miles from my house. My ship pool is a few hundred feet from my cabin. The robe is supplied in my cabin for just this purpose. Is it there only to wear from the cabin bath to the other parts of the cabin? Why would I care about what to wear on that short journey?

Are you saying that I should wear only a tee-shirt over my racing swim suit on the way to the pool? Well, this will have only one thin layer between my huge muscles and other parts of my beautiful body and the admiring lookers. :D

Would not the bathrobe be much more modest? Perhaps you would outlaw all Bikinis for the pretty girls also. :rolleyes: Please do not take away the visual pleasure for us older men. :p

Bob :cool:

If you would feel more comfortable maybe shorts and a tshirt? Personally I feel that the robes are for the cabin or the balcony over my morning coffee not the public areas. But to each his own. I wouldn't wear anything in the hallways, etc that I wouldn't wear in public at home.

What a blast this thread has been!!!! I've just finished reading it all the way through, and I must say that it's been high in entertainment value ... if nothing else. :)

Here's how I look at it: HAL asks us to wear a cover-up while in-transit to/from the pool, and a HAL bathrobe certainly "covers-up" for those who like to go around strapless, backless, or even topless. ;)

Nevertheless, I think muumuus have more style.

I'm looking forward to seeing you in your new muumu, RevNeal! :p

It's a bathrobe, not a poolrobe. It is supplied in your cabin to be worn directly after getting out of the bath/shower to keep warm and comfy until you get dressed. It is meant to be worn while lounging around in the privacy of your cabin or balcony.

As someone else said, you would never leave your house with your bathrobe on, why would you leave your cruise house (cabin) in your bathrobe?

I'm an anti-busybody. I could care less what people wear/do unless it impacts my life. I don't chime in on formal/jeans/tuxes/smoking/children/trays, etc. BUT there is something about this bathrobe in public thing that is forcing me to speak out. I guess I have a desire to save them from themselves.

How does what someone wears impact ones life? If you see someone wearing something that somehow is too revealing or offensive, you have the option to avert your eyes. I don't buy the argument that a robe on a cruise is solely for use after bathing. If I saw someone outside of their cabin in their robe, I would automatically assume that they were either headed for the pool or spa or back and then not give it another thought. Even if I saw someone in their robe in the Pinnacle Grill, I wouldn't care less. I may look for a moment and it would probably make me giggle to think that they are probably either a free spirit or a little nuts but then I would just continue with my own doings. To each his own, I say. But that is just me. Some people seem to enjoy being "offended" by what others are saying, doing, wearing, etc... and they try their very best to bring as many others along on their high horse as they can carry. Don't take that ride folks!!

How does what someone wears impact ones life? If you see someone wearing something that somehow is too revealing or offensive, you have the option to avert your eyes. I don't buy the argument that a robe on a cruise is solely for use after bathing. If I saw someone outside of their cabin in their robe, I would automatically assume that they were either headed for the pool or spa or back and then not give it another thought. Even if I saw someone in their robe in the Pinnacle Grill, I wouldn't care less. I may look for a moment and it would probably make me giggle to think that they are probably either a free spirit or a little nuts but then I would just continue with my own doings. To each his own, I say. But that is just me. Some people seem to enjoy being "offended" by what others are saying, doing, wearing, etc... and they try their very best to bring as many others along on their high horse as they can carry. Don't take that ride folks!!

Not a horse I'm riding. But, you know what, those robes Pipedreams shows are classy.:) Like we say in the biz.

This strikes me as being mostly a cultural/class issue. Those accustomed to spa stays (as have been in existence in Europe for hundreds of years and in the US for the last several decades) will be perfectly comfortable in robes by the pool, in the spa, even at casual dining. Traditional middle class americans, with their puritan inspired sensibilities, will be offended by lack of "modesty" a robe implies.

TTown Traveler

We live in an over 55 community with community pools, etc. Many people drive their golf carts to the pool/rec center wearing their bathrobes. Also most people go out in the morning in their bath robes to get the paper and walk the dog.

So we do wear ours out in public and so far the sky has not fallen.

As long as you are covered, whats the problem!

We usually sail on another line and on each voyage they have a bathroom breakfast in the buffet area where everyone is requested to wear their bathrobe to breakfast. Even the staff show up in them. Great sight of a hundred people or so sitting having breakfast in their bathrobes.

The muumuu look a good idea. Nice and cool and loose fitting.

Buying online is not an option for me. Can you buy these in stores in USA (eg Ft Lauderdale)? What sort of store would I look in?

Are they nice enough to wear to go ashone on the islands?

Yes, if you have time go into the Department Stores..They usually can be found in the ., Leisure/Lounge Dresses Dept., Daytime dress Dept, or the lingerie Dept.

Dillards , calls them Patio Dresses: http://www.dillards.com/endeca/EndecaStartServlet?N=1603949

Bealls Department Stores in Florida calls them Leisure Dresses & they are priced below those of Dilllards..

http://www.beallsflorida.com/r/Lounge_Leisure/departmentproducts?top=52&major=132&minor=563

Take a photocopy of them from the WEB sites & go to these Department Stores someone will direct you to the right Department..

The problem is that the stores usually do not carry as many as they show on the Internet..

Some of them are quite pretty & can be worn ashore..

Good Luck...

Cheers...:)Betty

You know, I have wracked my brain over this, and I swear, I CANNOT tell you if I've ever seen anyone wearing their bathrobe at the pool or not!

Don't people have better things to think about? I'm too busy doing other things to worry about, or even notice, what my fellow passengers wear.

versus bath robes... bath versus outside. I believe some people have said this. For $15 a cover up,;) this, mumu's and anything but a bathroom is a very nice option, what ever your option, non religiously speaking of course. It is not going to make us say anthing, but we will smile at the lack of planning.

http://www.examiner.com/x-12837-US-Headlines-Examiner~y2009m11d20-Slideshow-Oasis-of-the-Seas-the-worlds-largest-cruise-ship-video

We will wear the bath robes in the stateroom, and something else when not.:)

It's a *bath*robe. Yes, it has the ability to function as a cover-up but it's a bathrobe.

Hey, your bedspread has the ability to function as a beach towel. Maybe you'd like to haul that out to your lounge chair and lay on that. Or your nightgown could function as a dress, but it's a nightgown so it's purpose is to sleep in and it's meant to stay in your cabin. The robe's purpose is a bathrobe and is meant to stay in your cabin.

What is wrong with you people? Are you just bent on parading around the public spaces in your robe because it covers your body? Don't you care how you look? I'm really only trying to save you from looking ridiculous.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bathrobe

Main Entry: bath·robe

Pronunciation: \ˈbath-ˌrōb, ˈbäth-\

Function: noun

Date: 1890

: a loose often absorbent robe worn before and after bathing or as a dressing gown

Does this mean I should not wear by BATHING suit to the pool either?

I was reading the information for the Retreat Cabanas on the Edam. It says a bathrobe is one of the included perks. So what then, is the use of this item, if it's not to be used out of the cabin??

For the records, from a fashion standpoint, robes are perfectly appropriate to wear to pools on cruise ships and/or at resorts.

It's a bathrobe, not a poolrobe. It is supplied in your cabin to be worn directly after getting out of the bath/shower to keep warm and comfy until you get dressed. It is meant to be worn while lounging around in the privacy of your cabin or balcony.

As someone else said, you would never leave your house with your bathrobe on, why would you leave your cruise house (cabin) in your bathrobe?

I'm an anti-busybody. I could care less what people wear/do unless it impacts my life. I don't chime in on formal/jeans/tuxes/smoking/children/trays, etc. BUT there is something about this bathrobe in public thing that is forcing me to speak out. I guess I have a desire to save them from themselves.

I personally don't give a Hoot. I wore one once over my day clothes complete with a shower cap to the Graduation Ceremony for the Mixology Class I attended. While dressing I felt kind of strange but after a couple of rum and cokes I didn't really give a ----!:eek:

Question: Are all HAL cruisers as 'uptight' as many of the posters on the HAL board?

The difference is that on the CC boards, everyone can express their opinions. ON board the ship, they just think 'em (and mutter to their companions).

Archived