Alaska Northbound...Starboard or Port?

rpmljm

On the Inside Passage itinerary you are banded by land on both sides for much of the cruise so both starboard and port give you great views. We selected the port side northbound just because we wanted the sunsets, and also enjoyed getting the "first" glacier views as we entered Glacier Bay. I'd suggest selecting the cabin location first (mid-ship, deck etc) and then see what's available. Have a great cruise!

Hi

I am considering a cruise on Island Princess and I was wondering which side of the ship has better views while sailing from Vancouver to Anchorage. Starboard or Port?

Thanks for your help!

Laurie

We did the Island Northbound last summer and had a mini on the Starboard side (D717). The reason we chose Starboard is that in each and every port, you are on the land side of the ship and can see so much more of the town at your leisure. I agree with folks that you will see things on both sides of the ship. On the Alaskan tour there is too much to see everywhere!! Anyhow, I am sure you will enjoy the trip whichever side you choose

Cheers, Kenn

We were on Coral (Island sister) northbound on starboard side. Most whale sightings were on the other side.....

Glacier Bay doesn't matter much - they turn the ship around about halfway through the stay alongside the glacier. You will probably be on deck anyway when the chunk of ice half the size of the ship sends a splash 150' in the air!

Will be on Island this fall on Starboard side.

We were on Coral (Island sister) northbound on starboard side. Most whale sightings were on the other side.....

Glacier Bay doesn't matter much - they turn the ship around about halfway through the stay alongside the glacier. You will probably be on deck anyway when the chunk of ice half the size of the ship sends a splash 150' in the air!

Will be on Island this fall on Starboard side.

From other posts I've read, if you want to hear the narration in Glacier Bay from your balcony, you need to be on port side.

BOTH sides will have it's own "viewing".

As stated, IF you ONLY want Glacier Bay viewing from your cabin with the commentary, then get a port side. Realize, you are only getting a portion of the overall potential- which is best seen from outside ship decks and moving with the view.

Once 'out to sea' there is little difference, however, with a balcony take Port Side, you will then see what the ranger is speaking about, a little more when going in to the glaciers. Just turn your TV on with the volume on high.

john

Archived