Lost Luggage

HALGirl

Did anyone ever have a piece of luggage go missing when using HAL's express transfer, ship to final destination? If so, did they find it and how long did it take to get it back? It's been a week and no luck yet. Seems after I tagged my bag, put it in the hall, somewhere between ship to airport it went missing. Someone elses bag arrived at my destination with a different airline tag with my name on it and my bag is still not found.

Joanne

Did anyone ever have a piece of luggage go missing when using HAL's express transfer, ship to final destination? If so, did they find it and how long did it take to get it back? It's been a week and no luck yet. Seems after I tagged my bag, put it in the hall, somewhere between ship to airport it went missing. Someone elses bag arrived at my destination with a different airline tag with my name on it and my bag is still not found.

Joanne

One week today and still no garment bag. Has anyone else taken the signature Express Baggage Service and their luggage did not arrive at their home airport? If so, how long before they found your bag or did you have to file a claim?

Thanks.

Usually when a bag is lost, you file a claim right there at the airport. If the airline forwarded someone else's luggage, I would guess that they did not have the right description of what they were looking for. I presume you told the airline that your piece is still missing. One way or the other, I would file a claim right away.

One week today and still no garment bag. Has anyone else taken the signature Express Baggage Service and their luggage did not arrive at their home airport? If so, how long before they found your bag or did you have to file a claim?

Thanks.

Disclaimer: I have no experience with Express Baggage Service

But, if your bag did not show up at the airport, you should have started by filing a claim with the airline before you left the airport.

When you tagged your bag, did it have your name on the bag tag? Or that other person's name?

I would contact HAL ... they should have record of the other passenger as well as that person's airline information. Possible your bag is sitting in an airline lockup ... another airline or airport from yours perhaps.

Becasue the bag tag may not have been correct from the start, I would go both to HAL and to your own airline ... well, and maybe the bag contractor needs to be involved.

When you tagged your bag, did it have your name on the bag tag? Or that other person's name?

I would contact HAL ... they should have record of the other passenger as well as that person's airline information. Possible your bag is sitting in an airline lockup ... another airline or airport from yours perhaps.

Becasue the bag tag may not have been correct from the start, I would go both to HAL and to your own airline ... well, and maybe the bag contractor needs to be involved.

Thanks to all that replied. I filed what they call a delayed baggage report with the airline which meant my bag did not arrive. I gave full description. Someone called me the same night to tell me my airline routing tag was on a green suitcase but not on a red garment bag which is what I am missing. I called HAL and they are checking at their end. I was not given the persons name on the green bag nor what city it was supposed to go to. I did go back to the airport to have them look in the luggage holding area and no red garment bag was there. It appears that tags we get with the Signature Express Service is then re-tagged at the airport by the airline you are taking. Someone messed up for sure. By the way, when you phone the airline you do no get a person in the USA, you get a help desk in India. What help is this? They can't tell me any info unless it's on their computer screen. I know HAL is working on finding my bag as someone did call me back. To file a claim, which I will probably have to do is very difficult and not really in our favor. You need to furnish item, description, color, size, date purchased, where purchased, amount and furnish a receipt for any item over $100.00. Who keeps all their receipts?

My real question is, did anyone have a bag go missing and did they find it? I really want my clothing, not new ones.

By the way, when you phone the airline you do no get a person in the USA, you get a help desk in India. What help is this? They can't tell me any info unless it's on their computer screen.

Even if the person answering the phone was in the USA they would most likely have exactly the same information as a person in India: a computer screen. For all you know that person may be working from their home in Alaska. :D

2 weeks tomorrow and still not garment bag. I think I compiled a listing of what was in the garment bag, finally got pricing for each item and ready to file a clam with the airline but I actually think it is Holland America's responsibility as I trusted my luggage to them, paid the extra $19.00 cost, put the tag they issued on my bag, put it out in the hall before 1am as requested and they were to get it to my final destination. Somewhere between HAL and their contractor who brought it to the airport, another airline issued bag tag with my name and flight was affixed to a green suitcase instead of a red garment bag. My own address luggage tag was on the garment bag, another persons name was on the green suitcase. No one can tell me where the green bag went since it arrived at my home airport. Either HAL or the contractor should have seen the airline tag they were putting on the bag with my name did not match the name on the suitcase. So much for security. When I check my bags I always make sure the airline puts a tag on with my name, HAL should have done the same.

I received 2 calls (one each week) from a guy in the San Diego Cruise Terminal but HAL Corporate has yet to call me back. I know I am only a 3 star mariner and only have 156 days and 15 cruises with HAL, which is probably far less then some of you posters, but I would think with so many cruise lines to choose from they would want to keep their customers. I think HAL's customer service has really declined and am thinking, "is their any reason for loyalty anymore"?

Feeling alone and abandoned by my cruise line of choice, Joanne

I actually think it is Holland America's responsibility as I trusted my luggage to them, paid the extra $19.00 cost, put the tag they issued on my bag, put it out in the hall before 1am as requested and they were to get it to my final destination.]/quote]

Actually, I think HAL's responsibility is to get it to the airline; they can't be held responsible for airline mishaps. It may be difficult to pinpoint who lost it though.

Somewhere between HAL and their contractor who brought it to the airport, another airline issued bag tag with my name and flight was affixed to a green suitcase instead of a red garment bag

Airline issued bag tag or the bag tag HAL issued?

I hope your bags are eventually found and returned to you.

I actually think it is Holland America's responsibility as I trusted my luggage to them, paid the extra $19.00 cost, put the tag they issued on my bag, put it out in the hall before 1am as requested and they were to get it to my final destination.]/quote]

Actually, I think HAL's responsibility is to get it to the airline; they can't be held responsible for airline mishaps. It may be difficult to pinpoint who lost it though.

Airline issued bag tag or the bag tag HAL issued?

I hope your bags are eventually found and returned to you.

I was told that the Airline issued tag with my name and flight number was on the Green bag along with the name and address of some other person, they did not say anything about a second tag which would have beent he one I put on while ont he ship. My other case arrived with two tage, the one I put on and the one the airline put on. If I pay HAL to get my bags to my home airport it would seem to me that they should be the ones to make sure the airlines tags each bag properly.

I still have hope to get my bag back. Thanks for you support.

I was told that the Airline issued tag with my name and flight number was on the Green bag along with the name and address of some other person, they did not say anything about a second tag which would have beent he one I put on while ont he ship. My other case arrived with two tage, the one I put on and the one the airline put on. If I pay HAL to get my bags to my home airport it would seem to me that they should be the ones to make sure the airlines tags each bag properly.

I still have hope to get my bag back. Thanks for you support.

As to HAL's responsibility to make you whole ... I wonder if HAL's disclaimer comes into play:

"Non-Holland America Services (such as airlines, shore excursions ...) are generally performed by independent contractors. These Non-Holland America Services are solely at your risk and subject to the terms or arrangements made by you or on you behalf with the independent contractor. We assume no responsibility with respect to these Non-Holland America Services ... even though we may collect monies or make bookings."

The Signature Express Baggage Service is a contracted service.

Archived