Question about Spa Services-Manicure/Pedicure

LuckyLoon

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me the cost of a manicure and a pedicure on board? Also is it worth it? Are they as good as going to a land based salon? Do they do gel nails?

I'm a novice at all this. Only had a pedicure once, but really enjoyed it. I've a bad bruise on my index nail which is finally grown out of my cuticle area and hope to cover it up.

Thanx,

JMHO, but I would get all of that stuff done before you leave on your cruise. A pedicure will run you around $55.00 + tip, and a manicure around $35.00 + tip. I avoid the spas/beauty salons on board as they are v-e-r-y overpriced and they try to push their products on you from the time you enter until you leave. I have done the spa thing twice when cruising and just gave it up as a total waste of time & money. I would rather take the money and spend it on a shore excursion or something nice to take home.

I also have gel nails and don't know if they do the gel nails on board or not, but I did see on the Oosterdam price list in November that to repair ONE acrylic nail was around $15.00 - totally outrageous. I get my nails & feet done the day before we leave home and forget about it!! The gel nails are super-strong and I have never had one break. It costs $25.00 for a new full set of gel nails at my salon, and $27.00 for a complete spa pedicure that includes hot towels and a leg/ankle massage.

Some passengers love the spa thing - I just find it all terribly overpriced. Again, just my opinion. Sure hope your bruise is gone by cruise-time and that you have a fabulous trip! :)

JMHO, but I would get all of that stuff done before you leave on your cruise. A pedicure will run you around $55.00 + tip, and a manicure around $35.00 + tip. I avoid the spas/beauty salons on board as they are v-e-r-y overpriced and they try to push their products on you from the time you enter until you leave. I have done the spa thing twice when cruising and just gave it up as a total waste of time & money. I would rather take the money and spend it on a shore excursion or something nice to take home.

I also have gel nails and don't know if they do the gel nails on board or not, but I did see on the Oosterdam price list in November that to repair ONE acrylic nail was around $15.00 - totally outrageous. I get my nails & feet done the day before we leave home and forget about it!! The gel nails are super-strong and I have never had one break. It costs $25.00 for a new full set of gel nails at my salon, and $27.00 for a complete spa pedicure that includes hot towels and a leg/ankle massage.

Some passengers love the spa thing - I just find it all terribly overpriced. Again, just my opinion. Sure hope your bruise is gone by cruise-time and that you have a fabulous trip! :)

I think this is pretty good advice. I love doing the spa thing on cruises, but manicures and pedicures are really so much more expensive than like a massage or facial. I mean, relatively. I can get a mani/pedi here for $35 total. Its $75 or so for both on a ship. A massage is about $60 here and I can get one on a cruise for about $100. So less than double vs. more than double? If I were to do anything on a cruise, I'd go for the massage.

I had a manicure and pedicure on both Westerdam in November and Eurodam in February and I think the price each time was about $75 plus tip.

I was satisfied both times and the lady who did each was very pleasant and I enjoyed both.

I'll go again on Maasdam in April.

Thank you all for the information. I kinda thought so.

luv2trvl - I've wanted to try gel nails. Are they all set the first time you get them done? Also how long do they last?

I'm up in Maine and not sure I'll get a good job done on them here. Also I understand you shouldn't put on closed toe shoes for a couple of hours after having a pedicure. Not always an option here. Though it looks like next week just before I go we'll have clear weather.

I wonder if I can find a place Monday morning just before boarding the ship. We won't get to San Diego until Saturday night and don't imagine anything will be open on Sunday.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

I had a manicure and pedicure on both Westerdam in November and Eurodam in February and I think the price each time was about $75 plus tip.

I was satisfied both times and the lady who did each was very pleasant and I enjoyed both.

I'll go again on Maasdam in April.

Wow, that's cheaper than at home for me! Definitely doing a mani/pedi next cruise.

Wow, that's cheaper than at home for me! Definitely doing a mani/pedi next cruise.

Look forward to the hard sell. I had a pedicure right before I left on vacation but after a week I wanted a polish change. She told me I needed a pedicure. My feet are generally in good shape (not rough or nasty) so this was an effort to make extra cash. I'd had the services of this woman before and she was one of the rudest people I've met on land or shore. Generally I find them to be pretty good in the spa but you get the hard sell. If I ever see her again...I'll run in the other direction. She's got a name very close to mine so it's eay to remember her.

Look forward to the hard sell. I had a pedicure right before I left on vacation but after a week I wanted a polish change. She told me I needed a pedicure. My feet are generally in good shape (not rough or nasty) so this was an effort to make extra cash. I'd had the services of this woman before and she was one of the rudest people I've met on land or shore. Generally I find them to be pretty good in the spa but you get the hard sell. If I ever see her again...I'll run in the other direction. She's got a name very close to mine so it's eay to remember her.

"I'm sorry, I'm Canadian, and the exchange rate is quite bad -- so I can't afford any of your products. Please don't bother trying to sell them to me." One felt so bad for me she offered me a discount :)

Wow about trying to get you to have a 2nd pedicure! And rude? Man, we've got some weirdo spa people out here, but never rude. Just weird. Like "Let me tell you about the waxing I just did" weird. :D

[quote name='CowPrincess;23315546

Wow about trying to get you to have a 2nd pedicure! And rude? Man' date=' we've got some weirdo spa people out here, but never rude. Just weird. Like "Let me tell you about the waxing I just did" weird. :D[/quote']

She actually yelled at me several times. You know me...I can usually hold my own but I couldn't understand why she was talking to me that way. The next day I ran into a lady on the deck and she said she recongnized me from the spa and said she had the same experience with this person. I mentioned this person to the other ladies in the Spa and also on my comment card. I hope she is no longer on the HAL line.

She actually yelled at me several times.

I know you can hold your own..... how'd you hold off on giving it back to her though? And of course by the time she was yelling, no doubt you were half unpolished, or half polished, or such, so not like you could walk out. Inexcusable! That's awful -- spa time is supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable -- that is (for me anyway) a big reason I pay the big $$$$ for the treatment.

luv2trvl - I've wanted to try gel nails. Are they all set the first time you get them done? Also how long do they last?

I'm up in Maine and not sure I'll get a good job done on them here. Also I understand you shouldn't put on closed toe shoes for a couple of hours after having a pedicure. Not always an option here. Though it looks like next week just before I go we'll have clear weather.

I wonder if I can find a place Monday morning just before boarding the ship. We won't get to San Diego until Saturday night and don't imagine anything will be open on Sunday.

Hey Girl,

Yes - the gel nails are set when you leave the nail salon. They are dried under an ultra-violet light and are literally as hard as nails (pardon the pun :rolleyes:). I switched to them about a year ago at the suggestion of the salon owner when he noticed I kept coming in for repair/broken acrylic nails. I absolutely LOVE them. I usually get a 'fill' after about 2/3 weeks, and get a new set about every 5/6 weeks. Those suckers stay on, believe me!!

I didn't mean to suggest you HAD to have them done the day before you leave - it just has happened that I have been able to do so. Try to have them done at the minimum amount of time before your cruise to maximize them staying as pretty as possible while you're gone.

As far as not wearing closed-toe shoes for a couple of hours after a pedicure - yeah - that is a good idea if you can do it. Especially if you have toe-nail polish applied. (Some folks don't.. :confused:). It gets a bit chilly down here in Louisiana, too, so I try to park as close as I can and bring a pair of sandals or flips and just hoof it back to the car ASAP!! ;)

Let me know how you like the gel nails...my guy here does a terrific job!

I have also had mixed experience- good and bad with the spa on HAL. As part of my work, I live in developing countries and often am limited to the services that I can get in any given place I live. Last year, I was living in Nigeria and getting quality waxing services was difficult; this year, I am living in Bangladesh and I can't get quality foil highlights in-country.

Last year, I was shocked that the spa on the Volendam did not offer waxing services and was a bit bummed that I had to shave during the trip. This year, I leave on another cruise in less than two weeks. I'll just get the waxing done before I go, but I will probably get a partial foil highlight, even though it will be expensive. I usually have to travel anyway to to get the service, so its always expensive for me, and I have no problem paying HAL's high rate, as long as the service is OK.

I got the hard sell last year when I got a pedicure for moisturizing products, even after explaining to the women that I had purchased a bunch of new moisturizers on my last shore excursion. That did turn me off a bit, but not enough to avoid the salon :-)

There will be some places open on a Sunday. Just not sure if there will be any where you are staying??? My sister used to live in San Diego. I remember that the little strip mall and corner manicure places were often open on Sundays. So you could just walk around and look.

I used to live in massachusetts. I do the same thing with pedicures. Wear flip flops to the place, run to the car, and run around your house in flip flops or barefoot for a couple of hours before putting your regular shoes on.

Whatever you do - have fun!

My DW had gel nails done at home 2 days before we flew to FLL for our last cruise.

The nmorning of embarkation she "popped" a nail as she was zipping up her suitcase in the hotel. Luckily there was a nail salon very near teh hotel and she had if replaced for $5.00 plus tip.

While on our cruise she "popped" two other nails while we were on a snorkeling excursion. On board it cost $35.00 plus tip to fix the two nails. She said they were very nice, fit her in right away and did a good job. But it was a bit pricey!

In CT our pedicures don't stop because of the snow!! At the salons here, they will do your pedi first, then manicure, then after having your finger nail polish set under UV lights someone will come to assist you with your footwear. If you have boots or other closed toe shoes, they will put some kind of oil on each of your toes and then wrap your feet in plastic wrap and help you put your (socks and) shoes/boots on.

I have never had a problem with this and the polish on my toes has always lasted longer than my fingers.

I am sure in lovely Maine, they do something similar!!

Laura

In CT our pedicures don't stop because of the snow!! At the salons here, they will do your pedi first, then manicure, then after having your finger nail polish set under UV lights someone will come to assist you with your footwear. If you have boots or other closed toe shoes, they will put some kind of oil on each of your toes and then wrap your feet in plastic wrap and help you put your (socks and) shoes/boots on.

I have never had a problem with this and the polish on my toes has always lasted longer than my fingers.

I am sure in lovely Maine, they do something similar!!

Laura

(bolding mine)

OMG, how nice is THAT! Up here, in the Canadian Rockies, one must bring one's own flip flops (or pay $15 for the one-use-only ones at the spa), and they just shove you out the door in the open-toed shoes regardless of the snow or the temperate (think -25F or worse!). And a warning "be careful with your feet for a few hours".

(bolding mine)

OMG, how nice is THAT! Up here, in the Canadian Rockies, one must bring one's own flip flops (or pay $15 for the one-use-only ones at the spa), and they just shove you out the door in the open-toed shoes regardless of the snow or the temperate (think -25F or worse!). And a warning "be careful with your feet for a few hours".

WOW!! Do you mean they charge you for the paper flip flops? We receive those complimentary in the spring/summer/fall if not wearing your own. Do you have more than one place around to do nails? I think that there are so many places around here that they have to value their customers if they want to keep them. However, the plastic wrap is pretty standard here.

Laura

Our single use flip flops are more cardboard and plastic so more substantial to deal with the weather! :) There are many places around here to get a mani/pedi, but all are exactly the same in pricing and how we are treated. Several have closed recently, due to lack of demand, and I'm hoping that the surviving ones re-think a lot of how they do business. Seriously, $85 for a mani/pedi? All my city-dwelling friends pay is around $55 (the last time I checked with them).

Our single use flip flops are more cardboard and plastic so more substantial to deal with the weather! :) There are many places around here to get a mani/pedi, but all are exactly the same in pricing and how we are treated. Several have closed recently, due to lack of demand, and I'm hoping that the surviving ones re-think a lot of how they do business. Seriously, $85 for a mani/pedi? All my city-dwelling friends pay is around $55 (the last time I checked with them).

Ours are like cardboard, no plastic...I hope they rethink too!! Although could be a good business for you to open. Set a new standard especially since you are paying sooooooo much! One other thing...if you search online for pedicure or pedi socks, they are toeless socks you can wear with your flip flops for extra warmth.

Laura

(bolding mine)

Amazing! I am never charged for the one-use flips after a pedi - and for $15.00?? I doubt that they pay $15.00 for a gross of those things. I would be looking for another place to spend my money. So sorry you are having to deal with that. I'm going to ask the owner of my nail spa exactly what they pay for those. He got me one of their nail-drying fans - those tiny ones that will dry anything in about 5 minutes - for $15.00, his cost. I bring it on all my cruises and use it for my make-up area. Fantastic!!

Our folks here at the nail spa I use are so very kind. I was commenting on the neat little broom they use to sweep up after the mani's & pedi's - it looks like the old fashioned 'chimney-sweep' brooms - very soft and exacting in it's sweep. Anyway, the owner offered to get one of those for me as well. And - he did! My cost - $3.00!! I absolutely love it for sweeping my kitchen - under the island and table, and in my utility room for around the washer & dryer.

Just off the Zuiderdam (2/11/10-2/21/10), my 14 year old daughter and I had manicure and pedicure. I had to rush out of NY before the snow and didn't get my "mani and pedi." It usually cost me $20 include tip. At the Zuiderdam Spa, it was $50 for manicure ("Fire & Ice Manicure") and $70 for a Pedicure ("Fire & Ice Pedicure") plus tip $20. It was a total of $140 X 2= $280. They give you a little more massage. But, it isn't worth it.

Also, if you are new to spa treatment, watch the "push" to buy their product ($$$).

Archived